Print Thread
MLD hunts #7358559 11/26/18 07:55 PM
S
Sab Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Sorry if this is not in the right section, feel free to move it but I put it here because I figured with all the guides and outfitters etc you’d be able to answer it best. Here in NY we buy our license and it includes tags for deer and bear. However I see on here MLD tags. Can someone explain those to me please? Like are they tags the hunter gets or the outfitter ? Are they in addition to any tags you get for deer ? Wha are they used for? Hell, I don’t even know what MLD stands for. Are they state wide ? I’d sure appreciate it if someone can explain it to me because I’d like to get to Texas on a management hunt and I’m just looking to know what I’m talking about and getting into. Thanks a bunch guys

Sab

Sab-yup, that's my name
Re: MLD hunts [Re: Sab] #7358579 11/26/18 08:18 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
MLD tags are given to landowners. They participate in a conservation effort and so the hunter doesn't have to use his tags off his license if he is hunting MLD. Someone who knows more will chime in here in a few I bet. As an out of state guy, you will have to purchase your out of state license.

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: MLD hunts [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7358599 11/26/18 08:45 PM
M
mustang coach Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Our lease is MLD III- With programs and conservation set by the state the tags are issued through them. With our Biologist it is recommended on how many animals will be taken each year. You have to have a regular hunting license to hunt, but anything that is harvested will be logged in and tagged with state issued tags. Managed Land Deer---

Re: MLD hunts [Re: mustang coach] #7358611 11/26/18 08:51 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted by mustang coach
Our lease is MLD III- With programs and conservation set by the state the tags are issued through them. With our Biologist it is recommended on how many animals will be taken each year. You have to have a regular hunting license to hunt, but anything that is harvested will be logged in and tagged with state issued tags. Managed Land Deer---

^^^ this is correct ^^^

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: MLD hunts [Re: Sab] #7359891 11/27/18 09:12 PM
12thman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
So, the benefit of hunting an MLD ranch is that you can use their tags and save yours. Coming from out of state you will have five tags to use on your license (up to three bucks depending on the county you are hunting). If you plan or desire to harvest more than the allotted tags on your license you will want to finds an MLD hunt. Otherwise, you will be fine with your license tags. Also, MLD III Season runs from October through February and you can rifle hunt this entire time. This is something to consider depending on your hunting dates and availability.
On a side note, as mentioned above, every county has different restrictions and limits on bucks and does. These restrictions to not apply to MLD hunts.

Last edited by 12thman; 11/27/18 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: MLD hunts [Re: Sab] #7361374 11/29/18 12:27 AM
S
Sab Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I’m amazed at how right you guys do things in your state. Thank you for “dumbing it down” for me. You all have explained it perfectly. Just so you know.....As an out of state hunter who’s state doesn’t manage the whitetail population nearly as well, It makes so much more sense for a hunter who cares about QDM or shooting nice sized bucks to head to Tx to hunt. With what I spend on the cost of my camp and the travel to my camp, along with food, elec, license etc. it’s actually cost effective for me to go somewhere and stay and hunt at a lodge for 3 days in a state(like Tx or Wy or Mo) rather than hunt NY. Couple that with your long season and it’s a no brainer. Just so you know I’ve spent about 2500 conservatively this year in NY and all I’ve seen are does and small spikes or fork horns. Lol

Now I guess the next thing to do is just decide where to go in your state and pick a management hunt or a nice MLD hunt. Thanks again guys

Sab

Sab-yup, that's my name
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide