Page 1 of 2 1 2
Increase in "Stag Bucks" #7355281 11/22/18 04:16 PM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
We have hunted the same property in Willow City for 28 years. Have never shot a "stag" buck nor seen one on the property in that time. Last year I shot an 8 in full velvet, week after Thanksgiving. After learning this was a "stag" buck I brought him to taxidermist for a shoulder mount.

After season we were filling protein feeders in March. Spotted a 7 pt still in full velvet. Year moves forward and we make several more trips to lease, filling feeders, and general upkeep of camp. On our trips we noticed another 3-4 bucks with headgear in the spring, all full velvet.

Over the last 4-5 years we have noticed the buck to doe ratio really swing. We are seeing fewer and fewer does each year. (We only kill around 5-6 each year). If we had to guess on ratio from observation. 3:1 maybe even 4:1 in favor of bucks would be our guess. It seems I constantly see 10-12 bucks with only 3-4 does.

Could this be causing an increase in number of "stag bucks"? or could this genetic deficiency be carried by one of our does?

Looking for information on topic

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355300 11/22/18 04:29 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Are you talking about an exotic like a red deer, sika or axis buck?

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355305 11/22/18 04:38 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
He's talking about stag whitetail. Most likely on land with a lot of granite.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355306 11/22/18 04:39 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355327 11/22/18 05:00 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Well, that's a new one on me. scratch

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355344 11/22/18 05:19 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Someone with a tranquilizer gun cutting some young bucks?

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355430 11/22/18 07:05 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Interesting

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: BayouGuy] #7355553 11/22/18 10:59 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BayouGuy

X2

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355579 11/23/18 12:02 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
There is an area in Mason County where the bucks will not shed their velvet and I am told that they are sterile. Weird. And the area has a lot of granite.
It appears to be within the "study area" on the map that TexFlip posted

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 11/23/18 12:49 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7355821 11/23/18 12:27 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Was on a lease years ago that had a weird amount of stags. Probably 1 in 10 or 15 bucks was a stag. At one point we had 4 that traveled together. We shot several of them. Big bodied and fat with no rut smell, they yielded more and better meat than a doe and most normal bucks. Like a feeder steer we would let a few grow big then harvest them for the freezer.

On more than one occasion I’ve seen a normal buck turn stag without any obvious injury. One year he’d be a normal young six or eight point then next season he’d keep his velvet and never shed antlers again.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: 5Redman8] #7355889 11/23/18 02:29 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Someone with a tranquilizer gun cutting some young bucks?

popcorn hmmm, stir or the protein feed ta improve the racks ? Steriods?
Interesting,
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7356063 11/23/18 06:00 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
We had them in Llano 2 years ago and shot a couple, havent seen any this year

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: BayouGuy] #7356155 11/23/18 08:06 PM
C
Cinch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BayouGuy

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7357365 11/25/18 02:14 PM
J
jmac24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
We are in Mason County about 25 miles out of Llano and we have seen at least 8-10 this year. Biologist even mentioned the spike moss.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7357820 11/26/18 02:49 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm between LLano and Castell and same thing. Seen a few stags running around. Not near the ratios you're talking about but much more than normal.

[Linked Image]
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7358303 11/26/18 04:44 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
We are also in southern Llano County, not too far from Castell. Normally we see a few stags each year, and always try to shoot one because they taste so good. This year we've seen big uptick in the population. My son killed an 8 point and another hunter got a 6 point. We have cam pics of one that looks to be a high rack seven point, so high he almost looks like a reindeer, and I've seen many on the ranch that are big spikes or forks and look like young deer. Don't know why we have so many this year, but I'm not complaining.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: Triplesnake] #7358655 11/26/18 09:15 PM
M
Mr T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I've hunted Llano county for 20 years, we see several every year. I've heard about the SPikemoss also. I've also heard this is centered in and around Llano and Mason counties, with less occurrences farther away you get.
Here is one my son killed.
[Linked Image]

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7360764 11/28/18 04:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by WillowCity2506
We have hunted the same property in Willow City for 28 years. Have never shot a "stag" buck nor seen one on the property in that time. Last year I shot an 8 in full velvet, week after Thanksgiving. After learning this was a "stag" buck I brought him to taxidermist for a shoulder mount.

After season we were filling protein feeders in March. Spotted a 7 pt still in full velvet. Year moves forward and we make several more trips to lease, filling feeders, and general upkeep of camp. On our trips we noticed another 3-4 bucks with headgear in the spring, all full velvet.

Over the last 4-5 years we have noticed the buck to doe ratio really swing. We are seeing fewer and fewer does each year. (We only kill around 5-6 each year). If we had to guess on ratio from observation. 3:1 maybe even 4:1 in favor of bucks would be our guess. It seems I constantly see 10-12 bucks with only 3-4 does.

Could this be causing an increase in number of "stag bucks"? or could this genetic deficiency be carried by one of our does?

I’m not far as a crow flies from you. We kill several stags a year. It’s a combo mineral/licen/moss ingestion according two the different GW and Biologists I’ve talked to. Not genetic. “IF” genetic, it would mostly be cared by the doe and normal buck dispersal ranges would apply.

We kill 3-7 year depending on what we have left tag wise. Meat is second to none from a venison perspective.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 11/28/18 04:41 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7361861 11/29/18 03:13 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
[

I’m not far as a crow flies from you. We kill several stags a year. It’s a combo mineral/licen/moss ingestion according two the different GW and Biologists I’ve talked to. Not genetic. “IF” genetic, it would mostly be cared by the doe and normal buck dispersal ranges would apply.

We kill 3-7 year depending on what we have left tag wise. Meat is second to none from a venison perspective.

[Linked Image]

From your discussions with the various GW and Biologists, if a buck becomes a stag, will it always be a stag?

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7361990 11/29/18 04:57 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45

[Linked Image]

just my 2cents Thars alot of emphesess on Trophy (Big Racks) vs food for grillen & chillen. every one fasinated by the big racks. still ta find reciepy for antlers. Older a deer gets change in taste & tecture in the venison same as with livestock. Every year thar b some big bucks taken, have got several pic's on phone. years of out witting hunters. (cage) & good genetics will produce large racks. Here emphesis tis on food for pudding on grill while the veniison quality is second ta younger bucks The trophy tis it has servived. ta meet its potential rack. yet short time been back have seen differance in hunting.. Just down the road thars a deer farm, its has some huge Racks, Cant say for sure but tis thinken lots of protien, & emphesses on growing big Racks. Lots of none typical.. could b whats happening thar ? Deer are naturaly bowser. Ephases on Bigger Racks could play a roll. texas was complety differant type hunt than here. leasing food plots & corn feeders sitting outa ellaments in cosey stand . as pappy say's execative hunts. Me i work & pay for me foodstamps. & how i use it tis my busness.

would rather be hunten (fishen) than worken, but a wise person realizes by works one can afford ta hunt .

Pappy

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: Triplesnake] #7362166 11/29/18 07:35 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Triplesnake
[

[Linked Image]

From your discussions with the various GW and Biologists, if a buck becomes a stag, will it always be a stag?

From over 20 years of hunting that ranch I’d say depends on the degree and age, but usually a stag is a stag. It takes a certain level of testosterone for horns to harden. Certain level of testosterone to want to bred. I’ve killed stags with harden antler uptop and still soft bases, even those had no interest in rutting/breeding.

I will say the some of the oldest deer I have killed tend to be stags. I’ve killed several with zero teeth(and had followed them for several years), they are very none social and tend to be very low in the pecking order, so they can be pretty elusive at times.

I just can’t think of one that change out of it but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. I would theorize that when a young deer damages its reproduction organs they are there on out compromised. If an older deer ate something that repressed test production then I would think one it stop introducing that chemical that represses then they would revert back to normal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: 1860.colt] #7362173 11/29/18 07:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by colt.45

[Linked Image]

just my 2cents Thars alot of emphesess on Trophy (Big Racks) vs food for grillen & chillen. every one fasinated by the big racks. still ta find reciepy for antlers. Older a deer gets change in taste & tecture in the venison same as with livestock. Every year thar b some big bucks taken, have got several pic's on phone. years of out witting hunters. (cage) & good genetics will produce large racks. Here emphesis tis on food for pudding on grill while the veniison quality is second ta younger bucks The trophy tis it has servived. ta meet its potential rack. yet short time been back have seen differance in hunting.. Just down the road thars a deer farm, its has some huge Racks, Cant say for sure but tis thinken lots of protien, & emphesses on growing big Racks. Lots of none typical.. could b whats happening thar ? Deer are naturaly bowser. Ephases on Bigger Racks could play a roll. texas was complety differant type hunt than here. leasing food plots & corn feeders sitting outa ellaments in cosey stand . as pappy say's execative hunts. Me i work & pay for me foodstamps. & how i use it tis my busness.

would rather be hunten (fishen) than worken, but a wise person realizes by works one can afford ta hunt .

Pappy

flag

Stag question mentioned by the op is in fact about long term hunting sustainability, not racks. He feels doe numbers have decreased. Big racks don’t pertain to this thread. It’s is against state law to waste meat. Most people would be hard pressed to decipher “age” of animal you are eating if you had no clue to it’s appearances. Most tastes are forge related and fat content. The fat layer on stag is impressive

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7362226 11/29/18 08:37 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Well I’d quit shooting does for a few years if you want to help your ratio.

Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: rickym] #7362361 11/29/18 11:29 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Heard biologist Macy Ledbetter talk about it on a radio show last weekend - caused mostly by drought - testicles do not descend and deer produces estrogen - apparently a number of them reported this year so far

You can't fix stupid
Re: Increase in "Stag Bucks" [Re: WillowCity2506] #7362372 11/29/18 11:45 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Steer deer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread