Print Thread
One antlered deer? #7356802 11/24/18 04:54 PM
N
nick_adams Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Does anyone know for sure if a one antlered deer is legal in an antler restriction county?

We saw a big mature buck today, with one antler that was a good 3+ inches outside its ear on that side, but no antler at all on the other side. No visible stump of a broken antler or anything that we could see through the binos. If it broke off it broke right at the pedicle.

If he had a stub of antler (with no forks left on it), it seems to me like that would count as an unbranched antler and he would be legal.

But with just nothing on that side I am not sure how to interpret the regs. He looked at least 5.5 to me, and the one antler he had was very wide and heavy, but only had three points and no brow tine, so he would have been a good buck to put in the freezer!

Let me know what you all think or if any of you have run into this before....

Thanks!

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7356878 11/24/18 06:30 PM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Call local GW.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: Cattleman] #7356967 11/24/18 09:32 PM
N
nick_adams Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by Cattleman
Call local GW.

Good advice! I guess I should have thought of it in the first place... smile

The game warden told me that the deer I described would be legal to take. Hopefully he will come back at some point!

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7356995 11/24/18 10:07 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Law is pretty clear. Greater than 13" spread or an un-branched antler. Sounds like the deer you speak of meets neither of those qualifications.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: TexFlip] #7357492 11/25/18 06:25 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Law is pretty clear. Greater than 13" spread or an un-branched antler. Sounds like the deer you speak of meets neither of those qualifications.

How do you figure if he has an unbranched antler? The other side doesn't matter. If he had a fork on one side and nothing on the other, then he'd not be legal, meeting neither criteria.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7357516 11/25/18 07:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Kind of a confusing post,
Title states - 'one antlered deer'.
First question asks - " Does anyone know for sure if a one antlered deer is legal in an antler restriction county? "
In an AR county a one antlered buck would have to be a one (1) point to qualify as a legal buck, " at least one unbranched antler or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater."

Then a hypothetical question - " If he had a stub of antler (with no forks left on it), it seems to me like that would count as an unbranched antler and he would be legal."
A broke off antler having no more than one point would qualify as an unbranched antler, but, GW's deal with people frequently that purposefully break, cut, stomp, lop an antler off after they realize they shot a buck that was too narrow for AR.

Lastly - " But with just nothing on that side I am not sure how to interpret the regs. He looked at least 5.5 to me, and the one antler he had was very wide and heavy, but only had three points and no brow tine, so he would have been a good buck to put in the freezer! "

The AR regulations are simple, " A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). "

This buck doesn't have an unbranched antler and there is nothing on the other side to use as a measurement reference to verify he has an inside spread of 13 or greater.
Not a legal buck.
3 points on one side nothing on the other, no unbranched antler, no way to confirm 13" inside spread.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7357562 11/25/18 08:10 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Oh crap,. mis-read. apparently the deer in question does have a branched antler on one side, nothing on the other. Am I reading it right this time? If that's the case, with absolutely nothing on the other side he gets a free pass this year. The inside spread is "infinity," not zero.

Sorry for my confusion.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7358183 11/26/18 03:40 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
heck thats a great question. I've got one that has 4 on 1 side and a big ball with a point sticking out of it on the other. Not sure if mine is legal or not either

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7358594 11/26/18 08:33 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Not legal and I'd suggest you get in writing from the GW that told you it was legal before you shoot that deer just in case you get checked after your taking of said illegal deer. The deer you describe does not have an unbranched antler.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: D Rogers] #7359154 11/27/18 03:30 AM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Drogers6771
heck thats a great question. I've got one that has 4 on 1 side and a big ball with a point sticking out of it on the other. Not sure if mine is legal or not either

That is legal as you have 1 unbranched side.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: One antlered deer? [Re: TexFlip] #7359165 11/27/18 03:46 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: SapperTitan] #7359230 11/27/18 05:04 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

How I'd play it too......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: One antlered deer? [Re: Rustler] #7359231 11/27/18 05:06 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rustler
First question asks - " Does anyone know for sure if a one antlered deer is legal in an antler restriction county? "
In an AR county a one antlered buck would have to be a one (1) point to qualify as a legal buck, " at least one unbranched antler or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater."

Then a hypothetical question - " If he had a stub of antler (with no forks left on it), it seems to me like that would count as an unbranched antler and he would be legal."
A broke off antler having no more than one point would qualify as an unbranched antler, but, GW's deal with people frequently that purposefully break, cut, stomp, lop an antler off after they realize they shot a buck that was too narrow for AR.

Lastly - " But with just nothing on that side I am not sure how to interpret the regs. He looked at least 5.5 to me, and the one antler he had was very wide and heavy, but only had three points and no brow tine, so he would have been a good buck to put in the freezer! "

The AR regulations are simple, " A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). "

This buck doesn't have an unbranched antler and there is nothing on the other side to use as a measurement reference to verify he has an inside spread of 13 or greater.
Not a legal buck.
3 points on one side nothing on the other, no unbranched antler, no way to confirm 13" inside spread.

I’m with you on your thinking but at the same time what ticket could the GW write you if you can’t measure what the inside spread is since the antler is gone? You can’t prove it was under 13 inches either.....

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: krmitchell] #7359347 11/27/18 01:42 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by krmitchell

Not a legal buck.

I’m with you on your thinking but at the same time what ticket could the GW write you if you can’t measure what the inside spread is since the antler is gone? You can’t prove it was under 13 inches either.....

Without a second antler, there is no "spread". You can not measure something that is not there.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: nick_adams] #7359409 11/27/18 02:21 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Straight from the outdoor annual;
In an AR county " A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). "
Must have at least one or the other.

Really very simple.
The buck the OP was asking about ( not the hypothetical one ) has neither an unbranched antler or an inside spread of 13" or more.
3 points on one side, nothing on the other = not a legal buck,, does not have an unbranched antler or 13" spread.

Re: One antlered deer? [Re: Rustler] #7359710 11/27/18 06:20 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Straight from the outdoor annual;
In an AR county " A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). "
Must have at least one or the other.

Really very simple.
The buck the OP was asking about ( not the hypothetical one ) has neither an unbranched antler or an inside spread of 13" or more.
3 points on one side, nothing on the other = not a legal buck,, does not have an unbranched antler or 13" spread.

up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide