Print Thread
Stories of pure luck #7350136 11/16/18 01:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We’ve all heard or experienced them, examples where someone took a nice deer in a situation that was pure luck. Granted, luck usually has a role in every deer hunting story, but there are those where you have to say someone was simply in the right place at the right time.

This week, a landowner took a very nice buck while squirrel hunting a feeder. The guy hardly ever hunts and was only out to kill a few squirrels that friends who hunt his property and run the feeder would consider a nuisance. He wasn’t going to take his deer rifle but decided he would just in case a hog showed up. When the buck showed, he was just too big to pass up.

Now what his friend who keeps the feeder going year round thought about the matter is for only the two of them to know.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Texas Dan] #7350206 11/16/18 02:30 PM
B
brucedonnovan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
My dad traps hogs as a side gig. 5 years ago in December, he was checking traps on his 4 wheeler, turned a corner and saw a huge 12 point buck eating corn near one of his traps. He went back to the house, grabbed his gun, and drove back to the trap. Surprisingly, the deer was still there eating. My Dad got him and it is the biggest buck to date that we've seen on that property, in person or on camera.

Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Texas Dan] #7350242 11/16/18 02:49 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I drew a muzzle loader tag for a late season hunt just above Clear Lake in CA. I was the only person there and never saw anybody else in the National Forest while I was there. I saw bucks every day, but never close enough for a shot. Then while sitting on a hill with a decent view all around my, I ate my lunch and glassed all the far ridges and canyons for something legal. I saw some does, but nothing worth going after. I finished my lunch and put everything back into my backpack and then put it back on my back and just stood there trying to decide which direction to go when I noticed a very large buck just standing there 20 yards away watching me. I have no idea how long he had been there since I lever looked for anything that close to me. If I bothered to enter him, he would easily make it into the muzzle-loader record book. A very nice Columbian Blacktail!!!

Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Texas Dan] #7350331 11/16/18 04:10 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Many years ago, a buddy and I bought a brand new piece of land, 100 acres out in the middle of nowhere. Literally there was nothing there (no house, trailer, roads, trails, stands, feeders, foodplots, and prior to inexpensive game cameras, etc..) Truly raw and primitive. We decided there was no way we were going to be able to take a deer that season, so we decided to camp out and rough it, scout around and game plan for the following year. I get up early and find a place to just sit and glass a little meadow by creek, thinking any game activity could be seen there as the rest of the area was just too thick. I also have my 30.30 for just in case.

As I'm sitting against an old oak, just relaxing and admiring our new slice of heaven on earth and thinking about all the potential this place has to offer and how I'm going to justify the additional expense I'm going to need to my wife. After about an hour of sitting there, I hear walking behind me. It must be my buddy stomping through the woods. I say "can you be a little more quieter, you're messing up my zen moment" no response.

I turn around, and I kid you not, there standing no more than 10 yards from me is the biggest 12 point buck I've ever seen. It's like he towering over me.

I'm shaking from the adrenaline rush. He's looking around trying to find where the voice came from. He looks away, long enough for me to raise my 30.30, I place the notch right behind his shoulder - squeeze the trigger - click! He now see's me and bolts like the wind. I forgot to chamber a cartridge. While this didn't end with a buck down, I would say that was pure luck to be that close and have the opportunity to see a buck of lifetime.

Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #7350579 11/16/18 08:48 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Last year, I shot at and missed a good buck at about 200 yards. I neglected to turn my scope to full magnification, and the BDC works only at full mag. I was so mad at myself. Not 5 minutes later, a huge, old bunch of ailed up to my left at about 40 yards da. He had only 6 points, it was an old monarch. I was so happy with him.

Last edited by Red Pill; 11/16/18 08:49 PM.
Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Texas Dan] #7350899 11/17/18 02:19 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
In '83, I was walking to my stand from camp. I was on a Jeep trail with a dry creek to my left and and a 200 foot tall mountian of ankle breakers to my right. For some reason my left boot lace decide to come untied. That was lucky. I stopped and tied it. As I was standing back up I looked up at the ridge and there was this huge buck standing there. It wasn't a far shot at all, so I just raised my rifle, Rem 700 in .25-06, and shot him in the neck. He dropped like a wet dish towel. I had a few moments of thinking, "Oh Crap....now I gotta' drag his dead [censored] down from there.....". I bent back down to pick up my HEB bag of Little Debbie's and Oatmeal Pies. That was the stand pack back then. When I looked back up he was gone. He somehow ran all the way down that obstacle course of limestone and cactus and piled up right in the middle of the road. I walked back to camp, got my truck, backed up to him and loaded him up. 23 point non-typicle, 17 typicle points, 23 inch spread. That was all pure luck. All I did was shoot straight.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Stories of pure luck [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #7351176 11/17/18 03:28 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Las Colinas Hunter
Many years ago, a buddy and I bought a brand new piece of land, 100 acres out in the middle of nowhere. Literally there was nothing there (no house, trailer, roads, trails, stands, feeders, foodplots, and prior to inexpensive game cameras, etc..) Truly raw and primitive. We decided there was no way we were going to be able to take a deer that season, so we decided to camp out and rough it, scout around and game plan for the following year. I get up early and find a place to just sit and glass a little meadow by creek, thinking any game activity could be seen there as the rest of the area was just too thick. I also have my 30.30 for just in case.

As I'm sitting against an old oak, just relaxing and admiring our new slice of heaven on earth and thinking about all the potential this place has to offer and how I'm going to justify the additional expense I'm going to need to my wife. After about an hour of sitting there, I hear walking behind me. It must be my buddy stomping through the woods. I say "can you be a little more quieter, you're messing up my zen moment" no response.

I turn around, and I kid you not, there standing no more than 10 yards from me is the biggest 12 point buck I've ever seen. It's like he towering over me.

I'm shaking from the adrenaline rush. He's looking around trying to find where the voice came from. He looks away, long enough for me to raise my 30.30, I place the notch right behind his shoulder - squeeze the trigger - click! He now see's me and bolts like the wind. I forgot to chamber a cartridge. While this didn't end with a buck down, I would say that was pure luck to be that close and have the opportunity to see a buck of lifetime.

That's a great story!!!! Did anybody ever get that buck? Do you still have the property?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide