Before phones what did people lose? Their thumbs? grin

Leave it at camp and stick to napping haha

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7347679 11/14/18 12:16 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This is also my fondest hunting memory! My luckiest moment was awesome and the beginning of my hunting education and understanding of how to hunt a productive area.

So I started hunting 7 or 8 years ago and I began in the Sam Houston Natl Forest trying to learn how to hunt feral pigs. So after a year or 2 of just wandering around to different areas without a clue i was deep in the woods one day and saw this trail that just went down in to what at the time I was thinking a creepy part of the woods for about 3/4 of a mile and at the end of this trail was an area with fresh pig wallows and everything looked like they were there just minutes ago. So I figure what the heck lets take a seat for a few hours and see what comes my way. I find a perfect shooting lane about 110 yards away looking down on this spot where I wont be spotted. This is 1oclock in the afternoon. Unbelievably within 15 minutes 3 nice pigs come running in and stop perfectly for me. Now how lucky is that on public land in the middle of the day! Now that I am an experienced hunter of the SAM I would tell you that scenario is impossible in the SHNF. I've never seen one again during the day since that time. Anyways That was the day I got hooked on hunting because I have never had my heart beat so hard almost came pout of my chest and I've never been so excited in my entire life. After 2 years of roaming these woods barely even seeing a squirrel I have 3 nice pigs in front of me. Well I guess I missed from my heartbeat, inexperience, iron sights on my M1A... Not sure. I thought I hit it right in the shoulder but I never found blood and this place was super thick and hard to walk through so I never found it.

It didnt matter that was lucky as hell for public land for that to happen so quick in the middle of the day. I stayed there the rest of the year and never got another shot off but I saw several pigs and deer and learned a lot and now that is my honey hole and I have taken several pigs and deer in that area. My favorite area in the SHNF for sure!

Oh yeah a few weeks later sitting in that same spot I hear "whooop". Craziest thing I have ever heard in the forest.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 11/14/18 12:27 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7348005 11/14/18 07:44 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Any time that I have hunted with my daughters or my wife.
The big bucks just walk out and stand broadside for a perfect shot.
Then they say “deer hunting is easy.”
Makes me want to scream.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: Txduckman] #7348071 11/14/18 01:02 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Very funny. When you are by yourself and 3.5 hours from home, accidents happen.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7348113 11/14/18 01:51 PM
S
sweetwilliam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I was rattling one morning,wearing a gullie suit,had a ten point buck jump over me and stand about five foot from me for a moment or two! It was wild every hair on hid body was standing straight out!

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7348185 11/14/18 02:43 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
I think I posted this last year but here it is again.
One of the guys on our place let his 7 year old son shoot a nice 8 during the 2016/2017 season. He said the deer just took off after the shot with no sign of being hit. He looked for around 4-5 hours in some of the thickest brush on that place and couldn’t find the big 8.

Fast forward to June 2017 and I’m out driving the Mule around looking for a new spot for a blind and find this nice dead head sticking out of the grass. Sure enough, it was little mans buck he had shot the previous year. There’s a couple of hundred yards of very dense brush between where he laid and where their hunting area is located. His dad made it about half way through that brush when looking, before he lost any sign of that deer.

Anyways, I called his dad and had him come meet me (with his boy) and I gave it to him. I thought it was pretty lucky that I found him for that kiddo, which his dad had a full shoulder mount made for him after the fact.
Now let’s see if I can get these pics to work.

Attached Files D6254B14-0689-412C-8396-9BDEDCEFA39E.jpeg88C697D1-B312-47C7-90D7-5DEF6BCE41B7.jpeg
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7351138 11/17/18 02:42 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Back in my younger days in CO I had been elk hunting hard for the season with no luck. On a whim I decided to try a different spot only to find 2 other hunters there. Decided that was that and packed to drive home. While driving right at last light I came around a bend and saw a nice bull on a ridge about 150 yards away. Stopped the truck, uncased my 7mm Mag, grabbed my orange and walked off the road to make a legal shot. Dropped the bull with one round. Field dressed and quartered him while holding a small mag light in my mouth after the sun set on the final day of the season.

[Linked Image]

The photo is him in the back of the truck the next day. Not the biggest bull I have taken, but probably the luckiest since I had to be in the right place at the right time. he was less than 3 steps from going over the ridge and he stood still long enough to stop the truck, get the gear and make the shot.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: GLC] #7351292 11/17/18 06:09 PM
S
strobes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by GLC
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Very funny. When you are by yourself and 3.5 hours from home, accidents happen.

exactly! lost keys to my car by a pond while hunting ducks, and found them there couple of hour after, lucky...

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7351334 11/17/18 07:32 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Got to the lease late one Friday afternoon. before I shutthe truck door I saw a doe going across the field, the main target buck that I had many night pictures of but no day time pics was behind her. Very short hunt.

Pulled up to my place in Mississippi and there was a nice 8pt at the gate that ran off. There had been 2 8pts running together in the early season Went in the woods and 200 yards later shot the other of the two bucks which was the largest.

Hunted one morning and saw nothing not surprising since it was a full moon. Went in front of the house to check on a stand not used since the year before and parked the 4wlr, walked by a food plot then across the opening and into the woods 2 bucks standing there, was kinda bummed thatI got the smaller one which was still a 5 yer old 8pt, The larger one a very nice 9pt my Dad got him a month later and it was the biggest buck he ever killed.

But the luckest, was on public land hunting in Mississippi when in college, a bullet hit the tree about a foot above my head.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7351341 11/17/18 07:55 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I was in a bar one night and this gorgeous gal had a little to much to drink and did not want to drive intoxicated so I grin woot banana2 then bolt

texas flag

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide