Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Any reason to poach?? #7346877 11/13/18 01:11 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thinking back many, many yrs. We/I grew up dirt poor. Sometimes we ate other times we sucked wind, no joke. We never poached anything more so deer. I want to make sure I am clear on that.

Now my uncles? they was some poaching deer fiens. They were more into the deer being struck (road kill) then retrieving the carcass, Still illegal as heck though. They had very large families and the main source of protein was venison.

I do not remember hunters for the hungry etc back then, but now it seems there is no reason to hunt illegally. The reason I bring it up is I spoke to my dad and a local GW via a Deputy sent him some venison. He was tickled to get it and we reminisced on yrs past.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346892 11/13/18 01:31 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I'd rather people poach than walk around with their hand out. We live in strange times.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346914 11/13/18 01:45 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Whether or not there is a reason to poach would really depend on the perspective of the poacher. Game wardens don't feed all that many people. Hunters for the hungry tend to have a limited window for providing deer and cannot provide hog.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: howl] #7346927 11/13/18 01:51 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by howl
I'd rather people poach than walk around with their hand out. We live in strange times.

Interesting take on things, I'd be inclined to agree

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: D Rogers] #7346979 11/13/18 02:31 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Drogers6771
Originally Posted by howl

Interesting take on things, I'd be inclined to agree

Until they are shooting on your property and trespassing. Buddy had it happen to him last year. They called GW and got a view of the truck and guessed which direction it turned and guessed right. GW intercepted him going into town 10 miles away. Guy drove 50 miles to shoot a deer with a 22 and went to the slammer for the night. Had his wife and kid with him. He just wanted some meat. Yeah, poaching is worth it just like breaking into homes is until you get caught.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: howl] #7346991 11/13/18 02:38 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Until they poach on your place.

Maybe poachers in decades past did it to feed their families. Nowadays, most poachers are either bums who need to get off the meth & get a job, or dumbasses who poach for fun or antlers.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346994 11/13/18 02:40 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
To me it’s cut and dried. If I was hungry enough I would, otherwise no.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347011 11/13/18 02:53 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
yep, you get hungry enough and you will go to great lengths to feed your family and yourself.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347014 11/13/18 02:54 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Poaching is not the way to go, regardless of your situation. If people on here are ok with people are “hungry” poaching, then those people should invite the poor folks out to their place to shoot some deer.

Last edited by sbushee; 11/13/18 02:54 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347017 11/13/18 02:59 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think most poaching is like anything illegal, it Is the thrill of the hunt with the the thrill of not getting caught. Same as a bank robber or the guy that robs the corner 7 11. An adrenalin factor.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: sbushee] #7347020 11/13/18 02:59 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sbushee
Poaching is not the way to go, regardless of your situation. If people on here are ok with people are “hungry” poaching, then those people should invite the poor folks out to their place to shoot some deer.

I’ve never been hungry enough to poach and of course the odds are exponentially high I ever will. I also never say never. It can come back and bite you.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347023 11/13/18 03:00 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Poachers are lazy as crap. They put more work into killing a deer in the middle of the night than actually being productive. They justify their actions because they are hungry. Yeah right. Go work. Oh you have money to buy shells and gas and plenty of time apparantly. How do you cook your poached deer? On a campfire? Oh, you have electricity. Hey, it's more fun to poach than work. Same without fishing without a license.

I bet majority these days are drug addicts and kids being stupid according to the GW field notes and Lonestar Law. Its not like it was but probably why many parts of Texas had no deer at one time.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347024 11/13/18 03:00 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
kinda like the homeless guy I met one year in Taos NM.. He was fishing the local streams to be able to eat and the GW caught him.. Took his Pole and gave him a ticket. People will do a lot of things to feed their families. But in today's day and age there are food banks, churches, and such to help with those needs. I don't think breaking the law is the way to go, but who knows unless you are in that spot.

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7347071 11/13/18 03:29 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab
kinda like the homeless guy I met one year in Taos NM.. He was fishing the local streams to be able to eat and the GW caught him.. Took his Pole and gave him a ticket. People will do a lot of things to feed their families. But in today's day and age there are food banks, churches, and such to help with those needs. I don't think breaking the law is the way to go, but who knows unless you are in that spot.

Exactly.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347081 11/13/18 03:35 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
As with all things, I think there is a scale for poachers that on one extreme end I would say the person is an undeserving [censored] and on the other extreme end I would look the other way. Important factors to determine where one sits on that scale:

Location of where they are poaching --> poaching on private property is worse than poaching on public land IMO (also evidenced by the crime of trespassing);
Reason for poaching --> poaching because you can is worse than poaching because you really feel you are out of options for feeding your family (greedy desire vs. necessity);
The amount of poaching --> poaching more than is necessary to feed your family is worse than poaching only what is necessary;
Use of what you poach --> wasting any of what you poach is worse than using everything you poach completely;
Financial gain --> making a financial gain from what you poach is worse than poaching for personal use;
Type of poaching --> This one gets a little more complicated. Are we talking about taking of game out of season or taking of game in violation of another law/regulation? To drive that point, let's assume the poacher is on public land --> Killing deer in off season is worse than killing hogs at night (I mean does anyone really care if people are killing hogs on public land at night?);
Intentional or Accidental --> Intentional poaching is worse than accidental poaching.

I tend to think that most poachers fall on the undeserving [censored] end of the scale - but I really have no basis for that belief other than knowing, through my own personal experiences, that people are generally greedy [censored] self centered people willing to do anything for their own personal gain. I very well could be completely wrong and most poachers really could just be trying to get by - but I'd have to see proof of that before I believed it :P

In any case, it's not something I've ever done or felt that I needed to do or agree with people doing - but I fully accept that I may have a different opinion on the matter if I had to walk in someone else's shoes.

Last edited by Binary; 11/13/18 03:41 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7347147 11/13/18 04:26 PM
S
slugcatcher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I don't think there is any excuse to poach today. There a societal safety nets in place today that weren't there 30 years ago. If you poach today you do it because you're a thief. You can rationalize it in your own mind that the people who own the land you're trespassing on owe you something for having more than you. Forget that they actually worked to have that property and you took the easy route through life. They have what you don't so just take it. I find it ridiculous to claim you are too poor to buy food. You can spend twice as much on cigarettes, beer, and/or meth but heaven forbid you actually buy food when you can just steal it. They are in their position in life due to making stupid and lazy decisions like poaching their entire lives and blaming others for the consequences. If you've genuinely fallen on hard times there should be family, friends or churches you can count on unless they've wised up to your stupidity/shiftlessness. When all else fails there's welfare. If you're too proud to ask for help then you should be too proud to steal.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347167 11/13/18 04:47 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dad caught a guy that had shot a doe from county road 20 years ago and after talking to the guy he said he needed the meat to feed his family. He let him take the deer and told him next time to come by the house and he would let him hunt. Dad said he was in a old pickup and had a old open sighted gun and if it had been a fancy four wheel drive and high dollar gun shooting a good buck he would have called the warden.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347193 11/13/18 05:20 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
As they say in east Texas.
"Some of that Chinese hunting"

Po-ching

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347254 11/13/18 06:23 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I think if it was a local, they could talk to some local ranchers and get permission to shoot a doe or two. The locals typically know who are good folks that are struggling and will help out, no need in poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: slugcatcher] #7347287 11/13/18 06:57 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Definitely a lot of people who can only see things in black and white :P

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7347298 11/13/18 07:04 PM
S
slugcatcher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by Binary

If you're in need, ask for help. Don't just jump to being a thief.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347313 11/13/18 07:17 PM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My brother used to manage a large ranch and had to cull a large amount of doe each year. He had a list of families that wanted some venison and he would take a deer or two to families on the list when he was culling the numbers down. The only people he had problems with as far as poaching were the oil field crews. Several of them lost great jobs over the years trying to sneak a trophy buck out while servicing the wells.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: slugcatcher] #7347327 11/13/18 07:26 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by slugcatcher
Originally Posted by Binary

If you're in need, ask for help. Don't just jump to being a thief.

Yeah, that would be easy for someone like me to say....I work hard and don't lack money or land. So it's rather impossible for me to understand where a poacher may be coming from, something that I fully acknowledge. But I also pay more in taxes than most people make and when you talk about there being "safety nets" in place - what you are really saying is that you would rather these people to go on welfare so I have to pay more :P I'd much rather see some needy person bust their butt for a deer on public land - poaching or not, than for Uncle Sam to steal more from me to take care of them. You seem to be opposed to a person "stealing" publicly own game - or even nuisance animals in a manner opposed by the state (not sure I agree that you can steal something that everyone owns) but don't seem to have an issue with the government stealing from everyone to fund a system that, in your eyes, is sufficient enough to keep someone from "stealing".

Like I said, I don't see in black and white. I think everything operates on sliding scales. But to each his own, if seeing things in black and white works for you, then more power to you. I think the world is more complicated than that, but that's just me.

Obviously, the above point really only applies to "needy" poachers - to which I don't believe most poachers are.

Last edited by Binary; 11/13/18 07:38 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347332 11/13/18 07:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
No, not that I can think of.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347357 11/13/18 07:47 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Are we talking HF or Low fence Chinese hunting? bolt Sorry , I know go stand in the corner dunce

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide