Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Any reason to poach?? #7346877 11/13/18 01:11 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thinking back many, many yrs. We/I grew up dirt poor. Sometimes we ate other times we sucked wind, no joke. We never poached anything more so deer. I want to make sure I am clear on that.

Now my uncles? they was some poaching deer fiens. They were more into the deer being struck (road kill) then retrieving the carcass, Still illegal as heck though. They had very large families and the main source of protein was venison.

I do not remember hunters for the hungry etc back then, but now it seems there is no reason to hunt illegally. The reason I bring it up is I spoke to my dad and a local GW via a Deputy sent him some venison. He was tickled to get it and we reminisced on yrs past.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346892 11/13/18 01:31 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I'd rather people poach than walk around with their hand out. We live in strange times.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346914 11/13/18 01:45 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Whether or not there is a reason to poach would really depend on the perspective of the poacher. Game wardens don't feed all that many people. Hunters for the hungry tend to have a limited window for providing deer and cannot provide hog.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: howl] #7346927 11/13/18 01:51 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by howl
I'd rather people poach than walk around with their hand out. We live in strange times.

Interesting take on things, I'd be inclined to agree

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: D Rogers] #7346979 11/13/18 02:31 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Drogers6771

Until they are shooting on your property and trespassing. Buddy had it happen to him last year. They called GW and got a view of the truck and guessed which direction it turned and guessed right. GW intercepted him going into town 10 miles away. Guy drove 50 miles to shoot a deer with a 22 and went to the slammer for the night. Had his wife and kid with him. He just wanted some meat. Yeah, poaching is worth it just like breaking into homes is until you get caught.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: howl] #7346991 11/13/18 02:38 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Until they poach on your place.

Maybe poachers in decades past did it to feed their families. Nowadays, most poachers are either bums who need to get off the meth & get a job, or dumbasses who poach for fun or antlers.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7346994 11/13/18 02:40 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
To me it’s cut and dried. If I was hungry enough I would, otherwise no.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347011 11/13/18 02:53 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
yep, you get hungry enough and you will go to great lengths to feed your family and yourself.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347014 11/13/18 02:54 PM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Poaching is not the way to go, regardless of your situation. If people on here are ok with people are “hungry” poaching, then those people should invite the poor folks out to their place to shoot some deer.

Last edited by sbushee; 11/13/18 02:54 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347017 11/13/18 02:59 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think most poaching is like anything illegal, it Is the thrill of the hunt with the the thrill of not getting caught. Same as a bank robber or the guy that robs the corner 7 11. An adrenalin factor.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: sbushee] #7347020 11/13/18 02:59 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sbushee
Poaching is not the way to go, regardless of your situation. If people on here are ok with people are “hungry” poaching, then those people should invite the poor folks out to their place to shoot some deer.

I’ve never been hungry enough to poach and of course the odds are exponentially high I ever will. I also never say never. It can come back and bite you.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347023 11/13/18 03:00 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Poachers are lazy as crap. They put more work into killing a deer in the middle of the night than actually being productive. They justify their actions because they are hungry. Yeah right. Go work. Oh you have money to buy shells and gas and plenty of time apparantly. How do you cook your poached deer? On a campfire? Oh, you have electricity. Hey, it's more fun to poach than work. Same without fishing without a license.

I bet majority these days are drug addicts and kids being stupid according to the GW field notes and Lonestar Law. Its not like it was but probably why many parts of Texas had no deer at one time.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347024 11/13/18 03:00 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
kinda like the homeless guy I met one year in Taos NM.. He was fishing the local streams to be able to eat and the GW caught him.. Took his Pole and gave him a ticket. People will do a lot of things to feed their families. But in today's day and age there are food banks, churches, and such to help with those needs. I don't think breaking the law is the way to go, but who knows unless you are in that spot.

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7347071 11/13/18 03:29 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab
kinda like the homeless guy I met one year in Taos NM.. He was fishing the local streams to be able to eat and the GW caught him.. Took his Pole and gave him a ticket. People will do a lot of things to feed their families. But in today's day and age there are food banks, churches, and such to help with those needs. I don't think breaking the law is the way to go, but who knows unless you are in that spot.

Exactly.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347081 11/13/18 03:35 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
As with all things, I think there is a scale for poachers that on one extreme end I would say the person is an undeserving [censored] and on the other extreme end I would look the other way. Important factors to determine where one sits on that scale:

Location of where they are poaching --> poaching on private property is worse than poaching on public land IMO (also evidenced by the crime of trespassing);
Reason for poaching --> poaching because you can is worse than poaching because you really feel you are out of options for feeding your family (greedy desire vs. necessity);
The amount of poaching --> poaching more than is necessary to feed your family is worse than poaching only what is necessary;
Use of what you poach --> wasting any of what you poach is worse than using everything you poach completely;
Financial gain --> making a financial gain from what you poach is worse than poaching for personal use;
Type of poaching --> This one gets a little more complicated. Are we talking about taking of game out of season or taking of game in violation of another law/regulation? To drive that point, let's assume the poacher is on public land --> Killing deer in off season is worse than killing hogs at night (I mean does anyone really care if people are killing hogs on public land at night?);
Intentional or Accidental --> Intentional poaching is worse than accidental poaching.

I tend to think that most poachers fall on the undeserving [censored] end of the scale - but I really have no basis for that belief other than knowing, through my own personal experiences, that people are generally greedy [censored] self centered people willing to do anything for their own personal gain. I very well could be completely wrong and most poachers really could just be trying to get by - but I'd have to see proof of that before I believed it :P

In any case, it's not something I've ever done or felt that I needed to do or agree with people doing - but I fully accept that I may have a different opinion on the matter if I had to walk in someone else's shoes.

Last edited by Binary; 11/13/18 03:41 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7347147 11/13/18 04:26 PM
S
slugcatcher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I don't think there is any excuse to poach today. There a societal safety nets in place today that weren't there 30 years ago. If you poach today you do it because you're a thief. You can rationalize it in your own mind that the people who own the land you're trespassing on owe you something for having more than you. Forget that they actually worked to have that property and you took the easy route through life. They have what you don't so just take it. I find it ridiculous to claim you are too poor to buy food. You can spend twice as much on cigarettes, beer, and/or meth but heaven forbid you actually buy food when you can just steal it. They are in their position in life due to making stupid and lazy decisions like poaching their entire lives and blaming others for the consequences. If you've genuinely fallen on hard times there should be family, friends or churches you can count on unless they've wised up to your stupidity/shiftlessness. When all else fails there's welfare. If you're too proud to ask for help then you should be too proud to steal.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347167 11/13/18 04:47 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dad caught a guy that had shot a doe from county road 20 years ago and after talking to the guy he said he needed the meat to feed his family. He let him take the deer and told him next time to come by the house and he would let him hunt. Dad said he was in a old pickup and had a old open sighted gun and if it had been a fancy four wheel drive and high dollar gun shooting a good buck he would have called the warden.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347193 11/13/18 05:20 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
As they say in east Texas.
"Some of that Chinese hunting"

Po-ching

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347254 11/13/18 06:23 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I think if it was a local, they could talk to some local ranchers and get permission to shoot a doe or two. The locals typically know who are good folks that are struggling and will help out, no need in poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: slugcatcher] #7347287 11/13/18 06:57 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Definitely a lot of people who can only see things in black and white :P

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7347298 11/13/18 07:04 PM
S
slugcatcher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by Binary

If you're in need, ask for help. Don't just jump to being a thief.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347313 11/13/18 07:17 PM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My brother used to manage a large ranch and had to cull a large amount of doe each year. He had a list of families that wanted some venison and he would take a deer or two to families on the list when he was culling the numbers down. The only people he had problems with as far as poaching were the oil field crews. Several of them lost great jobs over the years trying to sneak a trophy buck out while servicing the wells.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: slugcatcher] #7347327 11/13/18 07:26 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by slugcatcher

If you're in need, ask for help. Don't just jump to being a thief.

Yeah, that would be easy for someone like me to say....I work hard and don't lack money or land. So it's rather impossible for me to understand where a poacher may be coming from, something that I fully acknowledge. But I also pay more in taxes than most people make and when you talk about there being "safety nets" in place - what you are really saying is that you would rather these people to go on welfare so I have to pay more :P I'd much rather see some needy person bust their butt for a deer on public land - poaching or not, than for Uncle Sam to steal more from me to take care of them. You seem to be opposed to a person "stealing" publicly own game - or even nuisance animals in a manner opposed by the state (not sure I agree that you can steal something that everyone owns) but don't seem to have an issue with the government stealing from everyone to fund a system that, in your eyes, is sufficient enough to keep someone from "stealing".

Like I said, I don't see in black and white. I think everything operates on sliding scales. But to each his own, if seeing things in black and white works for you, then more power to you. I think the world is more complicated than that, but that's just me.

Obviously, the above point really only applies to "needy" poachers - to which I don't believe most poachers are.

Last edited by Binary; 11/13/18 07:38 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347332 11/13/18 07:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
No, not that I can think of.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347357 11/13/18 07:47 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Are we talking HF or Low fence Chinese hunting? bolt Sorry , I know go stand in the corner dunce

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: ddmm] #7347382 11/13/18 07:59 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by ddmm
I think if it was a local, they could talk to some local ranchers and get permission to shoot a doe or two. The locals typically know who are good folks that are struggling and will help out, no need in poaching.
Yep. Had a dirt poor ranch hand with wife and young kids that live just up the road from our place. Worked for a neighbor, but did some side chores for us. I figured since he knew our gate code he'd be tempted to poach. I beat him to it and made sure he had a doe tag and a date he could come shoot it.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347392 11/13/18 08:03 PM
T
therock Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
I don’t agree with poaching but would at least understand if the family was hungry. But, it would be way better to let me know that you and yours are truly in need and I will kill a couple wt or axis to give ya along with some other stuff to help get you going. Ask a 2nd time and you better get ready to be put to work digging prickly pear or picking up rocks. Hand up, not hand out.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347406 11/13/18 08:18 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Ive seen lots of deer poached for the heads. Ive seen lots of bodies left on the road or in the field. If food is truly what they are after? Go to the processor and ask, you'd be surprised what they might give you. Poaching is stealing and it doesn't bother people until it happens to them. I don't ever see that stealing is ok. If it really comes to that, I would rather see them ask for a hand out. Problem is in this day in time people are believing they are in titled. My belief is most people poaching are doing it for the thrill and the excuse is to feed my family.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347426 11/13/18 08:37 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
there's no reason for thievery, poaching being a form of thievery.
folks try to justify stealing by saying "i'd steal if i were hungry or
my family were hungry. ."
anyone can go to any church worthy of the name and get fed.
if you won't go to a church or take food from a charity, you're
not hungry enough.
you don't help your situation or your family any by getting caught
stealing and the person who you are stealing from shooting you
(and they would be perfectly justified in doing so)

stop making excuses

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347438 11/13/18 08:45 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
No, poachers are probably the main reason for the short or non existent doe season in many counties.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347463 11/13/18 09:01 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
If you are depending upon hunting for subsistence you have screwed up your life.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: therock] #7347481 11/13/18 09:19 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by therock
I don’t agree with poaching but would at least understand if the family was hungry. But, it would be way better to let me know that you and yours are truly in need and I will kill a couple wt or axis to give ya along with some other stuff to help get you going. Ask a 2nd time and you better get ready to be put to work digging prickly pear or picking up rocks. Hand up, not hand out.

I'm a bit hungry right now. I'll take one axis please. Let me know where to pick up. cheers

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: ducknbass] #7347483 11/13/18 09:20 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Po-ching

That's pretty funny, I've never heard that before. But do people really say that? lol

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Choctaw] #7347495 11/13/18 09:30 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Choctaw
If you are depending upon hunting for subsistence you have screwed up your life.

I would tend to agree, but you might be surprised with the number of people with screwed up lives. I've been to 49 of the 50 and just as many other countries and can say that I've been in some places in the good old USA that looked worse than some of the third world countries I've been to. We definitely still have people that live in homes with no doors and holes in the roof. Bad life decisions, and sometimes just bad luck, can certainly lead to living a hard life.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347609 11/13/18 10:55 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The older I get the harder I try to stand in someone else’s shoes before passing judgement. People still go hungry in the U.S.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347610 11/13/18 10:56 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Interesting topic. If a hard working person or a person who really cannot work and they cannot feed their family and there is plentiful game , I would not condemn or condone them.

You bet there are people who make good money and are on large leases with a lot of different type of game and they violate the game laws big time, these are the typical Chicken Chit POS hypocrites that condemn others that do hammer The mindset is they are above the law and can and will do anything to impress others into thinking they are big time hunters.
Then there are others who own a little land and have the attitude it is their land and they will do as they please, they are just idiots that do not care.
I am sure there are a few people on here who know people like that.

Was I perfect nope! I Might have shot one or two to many doves back in the 80's and early 90's Might have also violated one other game law in 88, other than that zero possible incidents. By the way, if I had possibly violated a couple of game laws way back then only God and a couple of friends might have known about it.

Last edited by Stub; 11/13/18 11:19 PM.

texas flag

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347925 11/14/18 03:43 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
No reason to poach in my world. Just being honest it is difficult to watch a giant boar in Hagerman all the dang time. He won’t cross the fence.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7347973 11/14/18 05:06 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
It is more common then you would think. There are parts of Dallas County that are public lands that are overrun with deer and while you are not supposed to hunt them many people do judging by the number of deer stands that I have found. Up north in PA and MI there is tons of public land to hunt on and not much to speak of down here in the way of public land. Most of my hunting was done up north.

Last edited by blkt2; 11/14/18 05:07 AM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: hetman] #7347988 11/14/18 05:49 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by hetman
Are we talking HF or Low fence Chinese hunting? bolt Sorry , I know go stand in the corner dunce

rofl
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7348221 11/14/18 03:08 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Po-ching

That's pretty funny, I've never heard that before. But do people really say that? lol

I've heard one guy say it and I laughed pretty good.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348235 11/14/18 03:20 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Ive come of the lake many a day to find a guy fishing on the dock asking if he can have our fish to feed his family he has been fishing to try and catch dinner so they have something to eat. People make bad decisions, he should have gone to the grocery store instead of driving to a lake in the middle of BFE paying an entrance fee and trying to catch his dinner. That and a job.

Old german family we used to lease from told us they poached deer off their own property out of season many times for food. They weren't starving but pretty much subsisted of their property definitely a land rich type situation as the ranch was worth $5+ million. Never had a problem with that. This was also several decades ago and the people are now long passed.

Last edited by redchevy; 11/14/18 03:21 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348254 11/14/18 03:39 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
My grandfather and his brother in law were pumpers for Amoco back in the 50s and 60s around Iraan. They had 14 mouths to feed between the 2 of them. Nobody in my family remembers eating much beef during those days, and allegedly my grandmother could clean a deer faster than most men. I know they spent at least a couple of nights in jail for road hunting and paid some fines but as far as I know the local law enforcement let it go most of the time. I hope I never feel like that is my only option to feed my wife and kids, but I don't plan on having 5 or 6 kids either.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348332 11/14/18 05:03 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Poaching. I think of illegally taking a deer on another’s property.

No reason, even if your hungry. There are to many programs out there. Lone Star cards, hunter for hungry, etc.

I did see my uncle shoot a deer one summer, it was in his garden. He was poor. I’m pretty sure he never ever had a license. He didn’t consider shooting that deer hunting.

Last edited by Roll-Tide; 11/14/18 05:04 PM.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: booradley] #7348335 11/14/18 05:04 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by booradley
The older I get the harder I try to stand in someone else’s shoes before passing judgement. People still go hungry in the U.S.

cheers as pappy once said: Few people could walk a mile in my shoes, bang i got small feet.

First read OP, twas reminded of the movie stars, singers, athletes & live styles of d rich & famous.
All talk about the hard times gone threw before they made it big.
Yet for every ONE that made it, millions (& maybe few more) are left stuggliing just ta get by.

One of the things that makes flag GREATER than rest of counties, the willingness to help others in need.

If lucky, just might make a Whopping $10,000.00 this year. No help from Gov. They made joke out workman's comp, Gov, help for low-income workers, (twas making little over $7.00 an hour) & that won't pay medical bills. Got terminated over it. My lawyer got new office, & more clients. People DO get hurt at work. They had lawyers on payroll.
Was willing ta work. No one would hire, had alien body parts. Denied disability, (several times) rofl. Think they waiten on me autopsy report.
Payed for me Gov food stamps. Till shoulder went kaput, couldn't hold bow out at arm's length.
Did have total shoulder replacement, state funded. Dr & Hospitals got insurance money. i can sleep better at nights, constant knumbness from shoulder ta fingers, & limited use of shoulder. Both knees going out, back worn out, foundry work, before hit 40, seen back specialist, he said: got back of 80 year old man.
Finally found work, part-time, so can afford me Gov. Food stamps.
confused2. People going hungry in U.S. ?

Ya'll haven hog problems, slinger have gun will travel.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348378 11/14/18 05:41 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
grew up around many outlaws growing up in the unique state of Louisiana. Taught me the joy of hunting small game hunting and the lengths people will go to hunt illegally, some for good reason, some not, Regardless, it seems people biases come into play; where do we draw the line? Whats the right situation and whats not? Its a hard line to draw but now being in the profession I am in, I'll tell you the law is the law. Those regulations are in order for a reason. You break them and get caught then you pay piper. Not saying it is always 100% fair but these are the rules that you must play by. I've dealt with poaching my entire life, very recently actually in my home state, and I am totally against it.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348416 11/14/18 06:15 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It is like driving 15 miles over the speed limit, or the rich guy that shoplifts a 75 cent item when he has a $100 in his pocket, poaching is for the thrill of the "game" of seeing if they can get away with it.

The food factor is bs, it is an excuse, rationalizing that it is "okay" because they need the food.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Txduckman] #7348451 11/14/18 06:48 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Until they are shooting on your property and trespassing. Buddy had it happen to him last year. They called GW and got a view of the truck and guessed which direction it turned and guessed right. GW intercepted him going into town 10 miles away. Guy drove 50 miles to shoot a deer with a 22 and went to the slammer for the night. Had his wife and kid with him. He just wanted some meat. Yeah, poaching is worth it just like breaking into homes is until you get caught.

Everything has it's limits. If you're trespassing, that's a different crime than just poaching. If a man hits a deer in September and throws it n the back of his truck, or shoots one in his pasture in February, to me that is worlds away from him busting one from my blind on a Wednesday when I'm workin. I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to figure out the differences there

Last edited by Drogers6771; 11/14/18 06:50 PM.

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348652 11/14/18 10:28 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
In regards to the original post.

It seems to me that attitudes have changed a lot in the last 50 yrs or so towards game, the purpose of hunting, who owns what and killing critters in general. My Dad(deceased) brought home a number of illegal deer over the years. Some were doe shot when you couldn't shoot doe, some where deer he shot and used one of us kids tags for, a few were shot off county roads. We weren't destitute but things were tight, he had six kids to feed and we ate every one of them. We also raised our own chickens, turkeys, pigs, rabbits and beef. Some people don't understand "living close to the bone", but they would if they saw a carcass after we got done with it. Heck, we used to cut the deer meat out between the ribs. I remember the first time after I got older and breasted a dove in front of the old man instead of picking it, he bitched for 10 minutes about the meat I was wasting. Most of his buddies did the same things. What used to get you a $25 fine and maybe you could keep the deer depending on mood of the JP is now a felony offense plus fines.

I don't use my kids licenses for extra tags or extra bag limits for doves and such like he did. I have hunted public lands when to broke to afford a lease. I agree if you are using hungry as a reason then you're better off chasing a different squirrel up a different tree. Seems like most killing we do these days is for sport, either legal or illegal hunting. I certainly didn't go all the way to Kansas and back for 2 pheasants last weekend because I was worried we were short on meat at the house. Ethics aside, the law and consequences are what they are now and I don't poach.

So in summary - no, there is no reason to poach these days.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348713 11/14/18 11:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A critically injured or sick deer found any time of the year. Don’t ask, don’t tell. Besides, predators have to eat too.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: D Rogers] #7348774 11/15/18 12:42 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Everything has it's limits. If you're trespassing, that's a different crime than just poaching. If a man hits a deer in September and throws it n the back of his truck, or shoots one in his pasture in February, to me that is worlds away from him busting one from my blind on a Wednesday when I'm workin. I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to figure out the differences there

With all due respect please tell me what a "rocket surgeon" is? lol

You can't fix stupid
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Stub] #7348779 11/15/18 12:52 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub
Interesting topic. If a hard working person or a person who really cannot work and they cannot feed their family and there is plentiful game , I would not condemn or condone them.

You bet there are people who make good money and are on large leases with a lot of different type of game and they violate the game laws big time, these are the typical Chicken Chit POS hypocrites that condemn others that do hammer The mindset is they are above the law and can and will do anything to impress others into thinking they are big time hunters.
Then there are others who own a little land and have the attitude it is their land and they will do as they please, they are just idiots that do not care.
I am sure there are a few people on here who know people like that.

Was I perfect nope! I Might have shot one or two to many doves back in the 80's and early 90's Might have also violated one other game law in 88, other than that zero possible incidents. By the way, if I had possibly violated a couple of game laws way back then only God and a couple of friends might have known about it.

That sounds like an awfully specific memory. peep

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348791 11/15/18 01:19 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Illegal is illegal. When you set a precedent by making exceptions, the next exception is well on it's way, with more sure to come.

Same reason I like how the NRA fights to have no exceptions made to the 2nd.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348806 11/15/18 01:32 AM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
My first teaching job was in DEEP east Texas. I had families that lived off the land, for real.

They didn’t go to the store. If they didn’t raise it, kill it, or catch it, they didn’t eat.

One of my favorite stories to tell my hunter ed students is that I had students that shot the “robot deer” that game wardens use to catch poachers.

I’m not for poaching, but I do understand people that are in poverty doing what it takes to survive.

If it came down to it I’d harvest animals to feed my family.

On the other hand, some entitled so called hunter that really wants to shoot a trophy and will poach to do it, I have ZERO tolerance for that!!!!

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348892 11/15/18 03:15 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Other countries have seen a lot of animals become endangered because of poaching, People are going to eat whatever it takes. Hard to see that when you are born in America.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348912 11/15/18 03:44 AM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
For sure! Africa comes to mind. 1st world people trying to fix 3rd world problems!

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348916 11/15/18 03:56 AM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Not weighing in on poaching. It's hard to give advice to break the law.

I will say that our ministry in Wise County, Feeding Wise Kids, is now feeding about 400 kids a week over the weekend when there is no free school lunch or breakfast. That's just one Texas county and not a particularly heavily populated one at that.

Every school in our area has a list of homeless kids and on-the-edge kids. We are definitely not feeding every kid on free or reduced lunches, just the kids identified by teachers, counselors, and case workers as being at-risk of hunger and food stress. Last winter at Christmas break, we had some donated McDonald's gift certificates to put in their food backpacks. We got stories from teachers about 2d grade little girls crying because they could go to McDonalds for the first time ever. It seems that they always heard other kids talking about eating there, but their families had never had the money to go.

We have gotten feedback that a lot of kids who act out on Mondays were starved from missing meals on the weekends. Now they are not the problem kids any longer. And we have had parents leave the program because their situations have improved and they want to move out of the way so another family gets fed.

Sure, a lot of these poverty issues stem from parents' bad decisions, drugs, alcohol, etc. But it's hard to let an innocent child go hungry, whoever is at fault. I guess until I have a hungry child crying because their belly is empty, I am not qualified to answer whether there is ever an excuse to poach.

God is so good to me.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348924 11/15/18 04:10 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Not gonna lie, I did a lot of poaching during my teens and early 20's but out of necessity. For a period we were broke and hungry and I was the only one with the ability to put food on the table. I worked 2 jobs and couldn't keep up after paying bills. I killed deer from the road, I spotlighted deer and jumped a lot of fences. I brought home bull reds that weren't tagged, and kept undersized specs. Nothing went to waste, I cooked & served all of that meat and we needed it. At that period of my life we were in a bind. I don't regret any of it. Will my kids poach or break the law? Hell no, they don't have to. Do I still? Hell no.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348932 11/15/18 04:22 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
It's all fun and games until some POS shoots a lawman. I hope they catch that piece of crap that shot our officer. I bet that chicken $hit reads this form and I want you to know your gonna get caught.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349022 11/15/18 12:42 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
There will always be poachers, and there will always be Game Wardens trying to stop them, and it's a never ending cat and mouse game, but shooting an officer trying to do his job is crossing the line.
We have laws, and it's never ok to break them, and a Game Warden doesn't know if you are just hungry and have had a bad break, or if you are a murderer as well.
God Bless those who put their lives on the line every day.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349023 11/15/18 12:43 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I’m a little behind on my boat payment. I guess I should rob a bank “out of necessity”.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349026 11/15/18 12:49 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Not gonna lie, I did a lot of poaching during my teens and early 20's but out of necessity. For a period we were broke and hungry and I was the only one with the ability to put food on the table. I worked 2 jobs and couldn't keep up after paying bills. I killed deer from the road, I spotlighted deer and jumped a lot of fences. I brought home bull reds that weren't tagged, and kept undersized specs. Nothing went to waste, I cooked & served all of that meat and we needed it. At that period of my life we were in a bind. I don't regret any of it. Will my kids poach or break the law? Hell no, they don't have to. Do I still? Hell no.

Did you try approaching any local landowners, telling them about your hard times, & ask permission to take any deer or fish?

As a landowner, if someone approached me with a story about their family starving, I would gladly let them take game, & would even help. But poaching from other people without their permission is entirely different. I’m glad you got out of the bad predicament & doin well today.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: BigRon] #7349030 11/15/18 12:54 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted by BigRon
Not weighing in on poaching. It's hard to give advice to break the law.

I will say that our ministry in Wise County, Feeding Wise Kids, is now feeding about 400 kids a week over the weekend when there is no free school lunch or breakfast. That's just one Texas county and not a particularly heavily populated one at that.

Every school in our area has a list of homeless kids and on-the-edge kids. We are definitely not feeding every kid on free or reduced lunches, just the kids identified by teachers, counselors, and case workers as being at-risk of hunger and food stress. Last winter at Christmas break, we had some donated McDonald's gift certificates to put in their food backpacks. We got stories from teachers about 2d grade little girls crying because they could go to McDonalds for the first time ever. It seems that they always heard other kids talking about eating there, but their families had never had the money to go.

We have gotten feedback that a lot of kids who act out on Mondays were starved from missing meals on the weekends. Now they are not the problem kids any longer. And we have had parents leave the program because their situations have improved and they want to move out of the way so another family gets fed.

Sure, a lot of these poverty issues stem from parents' bad decisions, drugs, alcohol, etc. But it's hard to let an innocent child go hungry, whoever is at fault. I guess until I have a hungry child crying because their belly is empty, I am not qualified to answer whether there is ever an excuse to poach.

Good on you, sir. That’s how charity is supposed to work.

Why would it be ok for some of these parents to break some laws (poaching), but not other laws (like bank robbery)? When you start sayin people can break whatever laws they want because of hard times (when in reality, many of the people are too lazy or stupid, or spend money on cigarettes, scratch off tickets, meth, & new tats) it’s a slippery slope.

It amazes me that we need a license to hunt/fish, drive a car, or carry a gun. But nobody needs a license to pump out as many kids as they want.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349033 11/15/18 12:55 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tlk

With all due respect please tell me what a "rocket surgeon" is? lol

Just a play on words lol. A term me and my Pops use to describe someone who thinks they are a heck of a lot smarter than they are.

~Dustin

-Boomhauer
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PKGR] #7349126 11/15/18 02:11 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by PKGR

Did you try approaching any local landowners, telling them about your hard times, & ask permission to take any deer or fish?

As a landowner, if someone approached me with a story about their family starving, I would gladly let them take game, & would even help. But poaching from other people without their permission is entirely different. I’m glad you got out of the bad predicament & doin well today.

No. That was a long time ago, before it was a felony.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PKGR] #7349136 11/15/18 02:22 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I’m a little behind on my boat payment. I guess I should rob a bank “out of necessity”.

Not a good comparison at all. Shooting deer to feed your family and robbing someone to pay for a luxury item are two different things. This was 20-25 yrs ago for me.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349316 11/15/18 04:56 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
A neighbor who we trust has called us a few times for someone shooting a hog from the road. We don’t live on this property, it’s a hour away.

Honestly, as long as it’s not deer season and as long as they go and retrieve it’s not that big of a deal

We’ve never called the GW over it because the people who live around there id consider on the lower income level and they have 100 percent retrieved the pig

I think it’s happened 3-4 times in 10 years I know of

I’m sure it’s happened more

A deer and I’d be pissed.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Choctaw] #7349333 11/15/18 05:08 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Or you could be a 16 yr old kid like I was who lost his folks and older brother, and little brother was too young to work. Nobody else around to help, in other words on your own. That 16-18 yr old kid worked two jobs, volunteered to work rain outs & holidays, and yes he broke the law road hunting and spotlighting to feed his family. In his mind at that time he was doing what he had to do to put food on the table, period. That was a long time ago, things are different now.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349344 11/15/18 05:22 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Or you could be a 16 yr old kid like I was who lost his folks and older brother, and little brother was too young to work. Nobody else around to help, in other words on your own. That 16-18 yr old kid worked two jobs, volunteered to work rain outs & holidays, and yes he broke the law road hunting and spotlighting to feed his family. In his mind at that time he was doing what he had to do to put food on the table, period. That was a long time ago, things are different now.

Sorry to hear that about your hard times, that is truly a hardship. I would wager that most poachers don’t have it anywhere near that hard. The vast majority are meth heads, lazy white trash, or just some [censored] who gets a thrill from poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349359 11/15/18 05:35 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

yep, you have to do what you have to do sometimes ... I agree, that was a long time ago and our family knew families in dire need and we took care of them, again, this was 50 years ago when times were different and not near as people were looking for a free hand out that had high level of self respect just on tough times.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PMK] #7350476 11/16/18 06:43 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by PMK

yep, you have to do what you have to do sometimes ... I agree, that was a long time ago and our family knew families in dire need and we took care of them, again, this was 50 years ago when times were different and not near as people were looking for a free hand out that had high level of self respect just on tough times.

popcorn interesting thread & views.
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 11/16/18 07:07 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7350732 11/16/18 10:48 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

I would tend to agree, but you might be surprised with the number of people with screwed up lives. I've been to 49 of the 50 and just as many other countries and can say that I've been in some places in the good old USA that looked worse than some of the third world countries I've been to. We definitely still have people that live in homes with no doors and holes in the roof. Bad life decisions, and sometimes just bad luck, can certainly lead to living a hard life.

I’ve been in law enforcement since 1987. No, I wouldn’t be surprised. There is no excuse for poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351033 11/17/18 09:53 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Many years ago, my Brother, now deceased, lived outside of Jasper and pretty well lived on venison. But, wouldn't shoot a deer out of season. A State Biologist came to him and needed tissue samples from various deer. He asked my Brother to get him some samples from about 6 deer. My Brother asked him how he could do that legally. The guy replied that the GW said that he bought quite a few licenses and was feeding several needy families. It got done.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7351112 11/17/18 01:47 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Many years ago, my Brother, now deceased, lived outside of Jasper and pretty well lived on venison. But, wouldn't shoot a deer out of season. A State Biologist came to him and needed tissue samples from various deer. He asked my Brother to get him some samples from about 6 deer. My Brother asked him how he could do that legally. The guy replied that the GW said that he bought quite a few licenses and was feeding several needy families. It got done.

Sounds like deer laundering.
bolt

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351212 11/17/18 04:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I took a guy hunting a couple of times, veteran and retired LEO. I was amazed at how well he could try to justify illegal hunting.

We saw a large group of hogs on the side of the road and he said, "Let's stop and shoot them."

I replied that they were in the ROW and it was illegal to do so.

He said, "Nobody wants those hogs around. We'll be doing folks a favor."

I said, "It is illegal and they aren't even by a property we have permission to hunt."

He said, "If a deputy or game warden stops us, we will just explain that we were hunting responsibly {he actually thought this was a responsible act} and were careful how we were shooting."

I said, "How can you justify breaking the law like that as 'acting responsibly.'"

He said, "Well, it is stupid law."

I thought he might have been joking until he wanted us to trespass and hunt a property next to one where we had permission because, "That is where the hogs are coming from."

So apparently in his mind, poaching is okay if nobody wants the animals, doing folks a favor, if you do it responsibly and are careful, because the laws are stupid, and because that is where the hogs are coming from.

We don't hunt together any more.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7351252 11/17/18 05:07 PM
T
Topper Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Illegal is illegal. When you set a precedent by making exceptions, the next exception is well on it's way, with more sure to come.

Same reason I like how the NRA fights to have no exceptions made to the 2nd.

Totally agree with this. I have known of so called hunters using other hunters tags, that is poaching and not cool from my perspective

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Topper] #7351315 11/17/18 06:50 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

When it comes to deer hunting there are so many ways to get more than your allotted deer, poaching deer is not necessary to get meat.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351349 11/17/18 08:16 PM
S
ssmith Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
with as many welfare programs an food banks as there is in this country there is no good reason to take the chance an trespass or shoot off the road to feed your family .

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351389 11/17/18 09:49 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think now a days people do it for the excitement. Like speeding or stealing a candy bar.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: don k] #7351436 11/17/18 10:56 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by don k
I think now a days people do it for the excitement. Like speeding or stealing a candy bar.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351717 11/18/18 01:42 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
If a person can’t afford to feed their family, then they really can’t afford to get caught poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7352681 11/19/18 04:30 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Some of my earliest memories are of my dad going "hunting".....of course back then I had no idea it was illegal or even what poaching was. We lived in western Louisiana not far from the Sabine river and our back yard was literally 60,000 acres of timber company land and was free for the public to hunt....during season of course.

I still remember that old head lamp...I think it was made with the guts of a hard hat, a light taped to the front and wires ran down to two large 6v batteries. Back then it was either road hunting or riding off from the house on horseback. Several of his biggest bucks were shot at night off a horse and all the ones in velvet were. He always said you could get closer to them on horseback than you could walking through the woods.

A lot of things were different back then, you could still legally hunt with dogs during season and the first buck I ever killed was shot ahead of a pack of hounds...legally. It's interesting to look back and see how attitudes, laws, morals, and ethics change with time especially around hunting. It wasn't that long ago hunting deer with dogs was legal in East Texas.

Why did he poach...who knows....was there a thrill involved, I'm sure there was...were we poor...... I guess that's open to interpretation . I'd say almost every meal we ate was something we killed, caught, or grew. Deer, hogs, ducks, bass, catfish, white perch (Crappie), purple hull peas, crowder peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, mustard greens, turnip greens made up the majority of all meals and there was always more than enough of them so, no I never considered us to be poor. At the time I was about 3 or 4, he was 19 or 20 and I"m sure a lot of people looking in from the outside would have considered us lacking, but as a kid and even now looking back with plenty to eat, clothes on my back, and a few sticks and toys to play with I wouldn't have changed a single thing. It made me who I am. Sometimes I wish my kids had less so they'd appreciate more.

Obviously poaching is wrong and honestly I cant think of any "reason" to poach. I will say this though, there are a lot of things that all of us do that are wrong just because man says one may be illegal doesn't make it any worse than some things we do that aren't, regardless we'll pay for them all one day.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: dogcatcher] #7352713 11/19/18 05:07 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by don k

up

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7352884 11/19/18 07:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by 7mag
Thinking back many, many yrs. We/I grew up dirt poor. Sometimes we ate other times we sucked wind, no joke. We never poached anything more so deer. I want to make sure I am clear on that.

Now my uncles? they was some poaching deer fiens. They were more into the deer being struck (road kill) then retrieving the carcass, Still illegal as heck though. They had very large families and the main source of protein was venison.

I do not remember hunters for the hungry etc back then, but now it seems there is no reason to hunt illegally. The reason I bring it up is I spoke to my dad and a local GW via a Deputy sent him some venison. He was tickled to get it and we reminisced on yrs past.

scratch our kids didnt know how poor we was... & like you back in the day hunting was about grillen & chillen. now its all about the Big Bucks. We had a $7.22 hr total income, as said in other posts, only reason got on lease was the 24-7-365 hog hunts. it was a family, camping with chance ta put food on the grill & in the freezer for less than a buck a day. Seen the games played on leases, way before got on texasHF people pay ta hunt legal, then pressured by others what is a trophy judged by antler size. As posted many times, twas a Blessing when a WMA open up just down the road, low-income workers cant afford ta compete the the high prices...
the so called hog (problem) is perfect example. Land owners making money on leases, deer, quail, dove, exotics, confused2 why not hogs... as pappy say's: Hunting has become a Richmans Sport. poaching tis a Richmans word. i pay for my food-stamps.

edit: watching Jack Hanna show, bout poaching elephants, all about the ivory, confused2 isnt that what the trophy hunter pays big bucks for ?
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 11/19/18 08:10 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7353280 11/20/18 02:41 AM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I wonder how many of us would not be here had not an ancestor poached some of the king's game to feed his family. And I ain't gonna pass up the opportunity to point out that the safety net is paid for by stealing from paychecks via taxes.

Most poaching done nowadays is just idiots being idiots. They do deserve what they get from the law. However, the general attitude of looking for a handout 'cause you are temporarily failing at life is more dangerous to us than poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7353309 11/20/18 03:04 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Long thread. I wouldn’t hold anything against someone who shot an animal to feed their family.
I’ll take it a step further and say I have a lot more respect for a kid selling drugs on the street than I do for the trash that lives off my tax dollars for years on end.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: scalebuster] #7353311 11/20/18 03:05 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Long thread. I wouldn’t hold anything against someone who shot an animal to feed their family.
I’ll take it a step further and say I have a lot more respect for a kid selling drugs on the street than I do for the trash that lives off my tax dollars for years on end.

Once he is arrested he is living off your tax dollars for a long time.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Txduckman] #7353338 11/20/18 03:51 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster

Once he is arrested he is living off your tax dollars for a long time.

At least the sons of btchs tried.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: scalebuster] #7353433 11/20/18 12:32 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Maybe they should try following the law & gettin a real job?

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7353554 11/20/18 03:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If a man or woman us down to poaching as the ONLY option to feed their kids, I can look the other way.

I catch a poacher on my place, we will be having a short conversation before I call anyone. They give me any other answer than they have starving kids, and we will be waiting on L.E. to arrive.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PKGR] #7353675 11/20/18 05:01 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Maybe they should try following the law & gettin a real job?

That's crazy talk right there. Some of you are sure generous when it comes to thieves.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide