Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deer lease etiquette #7346388 11/12/18 11:16 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
There was a thread recently posted by a new hunter asking for advice and suggestions. It occurred to me that some of the other parts of the hunt, namely "camp", used to have tacet understandings among men that have been seemingly lost among some of the younger set. I hope that others will add to this, so I will limit my bitching and moaning and try to not "sweat the details", as I'm fully aware I'm prone to do, and limit myself to one observation.

1. If you use something depletable that someone else bought and brought, like food, gasoline, firewood, beer or...WHISKEY mad, replace it, eventually, with something, anything, similar.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346392 11/12/18 11:18 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Leave it better than you found it, thats our motto at camp.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346393 11/12/18 11:22 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Firewood is my biggest complaint. Everyone loves a camp fire but few are willing to gather wood. And then when you are not there the wood you pile you up for next time seems to shrink before you get back out there. And of course nobody has any idea what happened to it.

Im a free hearted person but not to the point that I will let someone take advantage of me.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346400 11/12/18 11:28 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I agree, all I drink is water (coffee is flavored water), no alcohol or soft drinks. On a lease several years ago I bring enough water for me plus a few extras to share not counting a 5 gallon cooler for cooking and coffee.
There is no potable water at the camp so after 3 days I have nothing to drink and no one wants to chip in or go get more. I don't mind supplying but at least let me know ahead of time or plan for yourself. I even brought several bottles of hooch for the group to enjoy.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346405 11/12/18 11:30 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
same as mentioned above, you use it, replace it (food, wood, water, coffee, etc.) ...

Even though I have been known to be the camp cook for many a group, if I cook, someone else cleans up. (and I even clean as I go most of the time).

share responsibility across all aspects of camp between all members.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Old Rabbit] #7346407 11/12/18 11:31 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
I even brought several bottles of hooch for the group to enjoy.

This is a teetotaler that I support 100% and, I could probably trust!

I should have listed water. My guys are slightly better about water, but not great. It's basically the fluid of life, so they at least, occasionally think about it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346468 11/13/18 12:18 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Up until last year I had to deal with a guy that married into the family. He was a taker. I bent over backwards to make him feel like family, yet he was never satisfied. He started getting cocky, talking about who was going to be in charge, one day, him. Finally after putting up with his BS for too long, letting him get away with too much, I'd finally had enough and blew my top. His narcissism and huge ego got bruised. He told me he was taking his toys and leaving, never to return. Dumbarse texted it to me . A few weeks later he was crying to his FIL ( my brother). Sorry, dipchit. You asked for it. Don't ever mistake my kindness for weakness. Should be a great season. I know they'll be one less buck killed this year.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346476 11/13/18 12:23 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
1. If you use something depletable that someone else bought and brought, like food, gasoline, firewood, beer or...WHISKEY mad, replace it, eventually, with something, anything, similar.

Not eventually but at your first opportunity.

IMO, a rule of thumb is that if no one remembers you depleting it, you took too long to replace it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346492 11/13/18 12:34 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Take the trash out of main camp trailer without being asked - clean the dishes used - help clean up the main trailer after a long weekend instead of who can get out of camp first- we are all tired at this point .

Last edited by hetman; 11/13/18 12:36 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: JCB] #7346518 11/13/18 12:55 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
check your camp camera..lol

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346578 11/13/18 01:32 AM
C
Caskins Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Show up on work days. If you use it, replace it...ecspecially the toilet paper.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346579 11/13/18 01:32 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
we have a great camp - first man in from hunting starts the fire. Last man to leave carries out the trash and makes sure everything is shut off. If someone needs a hand then offer it to them. If there are youngsters or females at camp then keep the language respectable. Simply mutual respect.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346683 11/13/18 03:08 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
All of the above are common sense rules of etiquette....keep it going. Please be respectful of your fellow hunters. If you arrive late or leave early that's your choice but don't come driving through my AO while I'm hunting on your way to camp or home. I would appreciate it.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346701 11/13/18 03:27 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Don't come to a $20 a hand blackjack table on a $5 budget

I'll pick up more than my share but your effort is appreciated

Nobody goes to the deer lease for drama,.........leave that s*** at home.

Don't be "that guy" that everyone talks about when you are not there.

Always offer to do more than what you think is fair.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346709 11/13/18 03:32 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I don’t like grab butt and practical jokes. I especially don’t tolerate someone eating my grub.

Anyone that eats my grub gets chloralhydrate or visine (Sleep or crap).

Once a guy locked my J-lock and I bent his barrel on a ranch hand bumper.

One of my uncles stuck a box blind in a spot we all agreed on to leave for ground hunting like grandpa did so I cut it into about thirty pieces.

My responses don’t go over well as I’m a retired Soldier and regular civilians ain’t used to a rough response. I’ve been punked by the best the world has to offer and I ain’t taking no guff off a snot nosed civilian youngin.

Otherwise I’m very quiet, do my fair share, and respect others

JCB, I spend over half my season in family camps in other states. On the fire wood thang...I FEEL YA BROTHER

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 11/13/18 03:43 AM.
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346718 11/13/18 03:41 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I'm lucky. The guys I hunt with argue to see who gets to pay. We go out of our way to be fair. Same goes for the work. We repaired 2 of our buddies feeders last trip when he wasn't there. He would do the same for us. That's the reason I've been hunting with these guys for 20 years.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346814 11/13/18 11:41 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I’ve never been to a hunting camp. I hunt on family land or land owned by my two closest friends. People live on the land so there are houses, running water, etc. All of the above suggestions are common sense though and if someone doesn’t adhere then I’d say they are probably a jerk.

Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta
I don’t like grab butt and practical jokes.

It’s a fact of life that practical jokes are most often played on people who don’t react well to them. I’m glad you shared your feelings though. If I ever were to be on a lease I now know one which one to avoid.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346826 11/13/18 12:00 PM
C
copperhead Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
If you cook, you don't clean and if you clean, you don't cook.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346854 11/13/18 12:41 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with most of y'all, just will add..
Don't show up at camp with "friends" without it being in the agreement, or discussed with other paying members just to be the "cool guy", paying members should get that respect and not be pushed into that situation.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Western] #7346873 11/13/18 01:03 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Western
Don't show up at camp with "friends" without it being in the agreement, or discussed with other paying members just to be the "cool guy", paying members should get that respect and not be pushed into that situation.

Western - By your use of quotation marks around "friends", are you referring to the female kind that's not your wife? My brother witnessed that once with a couple of acquaintances that were on a lease with him. Their wives had shown up a little while before, looking for them. My brother packed up and left right as the rodeo was beginning. roflmao

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7346880 11/13/18 01:12 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Western - By your use of quotation marks around "friends", are you referring to the female kind that's not your wife? My brother witnessed that once with a couple of acquaintances that were on a lease with him. Their wives had shown up a little while before, looking for them. My brother packed up and left right as the rodeo was beginning. roflmao

I have seen that as well, but more often it's just buddies. Last lease I was on there where 12 of us sharing 14k acre lease, one guy owned a pub in Ft Worth and showed up at the lease one Saturday am with an RV full of patrons, that's no joke! Probably 15 people in that "bus" and most where drunk. LO showed as usual around 10am and within 30 minutes there where 6 of us left on the lease. When antler, $ and camps are involved, the real people come out.

Last edited by Western; 11/13/18 01:12 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Treinta-Treinta] #7346906 11/13/18 01:41 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta
Anyone that eats my grub gets chloralhydrate or visine (Sleep or crap).

I hope you know that Visine ingested can be fatal pretty easy.

Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Western] #7346910 11/13/18 01:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
When antler, $ and camps are involved, the real people come out.

That’s why the best leases are only looking for new members once someone dies or moves away. Anyone who joins the lease is considered an “unknown” until he has demonstrated a proven track record of trust and compatibility with other members. And if you don’t like being treated as if you’re on probation during your first season on the lease, you would be better off finding another lease.

And the point is even more true for guests, with the member being accountable for their guest’s actions while on the lease. It’s why during all my 30+ years of lease hunting, I have brought just one guest with me. IMO, a person’s experience or inexperience as a hunter and shooter can be a strong negative when it comes to them hunting as a lease guest.

Simply put, there are leases that are seen more as social clubs, while others are viewed as strictly about the business of good and ethical hunting.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/13/18 01:56 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #7346928 11/13/18 01:52 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bucks and Ducks
Leave it better than you found it, thats our motto at camp.

This

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Deer lease etiquette [Re: Creekrunner] #7347348 11/13/18 07:42 PM
J
jcneef Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Cigarette butts... hunted with a guy in the past that smoked (I don't) that would just toss the butts and leave them EVERYWHERE... Always annoyed me when I came to camp after they were there the weekend before and there would be dozens littered around camp. Finally after asking him to pick them up SEVERAL times I gathered what seemed to be hundreds of them one day and made a big pile right inside of his camper. Needless to say I stopped seeing so many after that. I don't think he appreciated me doing that since he was twice my age but I don't like litterers... I am a fan of leave it cleaner than you found it!

however since then land owner sold the land we hunted on for 30 years this year and now I am leaseLESS… At this point I would be a firewood gathering/cooking/cleaning/feeder filling fool to get on a decent place for a decent price. Tough to find anything these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide