Page 1 of 2 1 2
Game Warden failure to respond. #7342168 11/08/18 03:56 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
This was brought up on another thread about a GW that did not show up on opening morning to a call and I did not want to hijack it, so I'm starting a new one. I see advice all the time on THF to call the GW for many things. I personally have never called one, so I am curious on those that did, "What Happen."

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342170 11/08/18 03:57 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
They've come out or returned my call every time.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342171 11/08/18 03:57 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
A lot of counties have only one GW, or one GW that covers several counties. GW can't be everywhere at once.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342193 11/08/18 04:09 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Like the other thread, we noticed a fence line hunter opening weekend who set his ground blind 80 yards back off the fence aimed right into our fence.. the guy even had the nerve to mow a strip of his pasture from stand to fence. The game warden said he’d be happy to swing by their camp and have a discussion but didn’t have time on opening weekend to take a look. Warden was in camp when having his discussion and would have been a 5 min ride to see the issue. Not sure he ever went and talked to them but the stand is still there and I will call and video the first time is see a deer laying between the fence and his stand. Sux that we have to witness the crime before action is taken.

The only other time I called was when I was filling out an mld tag and got water on it pretty much destroying the tag. I did what I could to salvage it and put in a zip lock baggie which was his advice.. I made that call to cover my rear Incase he came by.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342194 11/08/18 04:09 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have had opportunities to interact with GW in many different states over the years. In my experiences, GW have alway been fairly quick to respond and Texas has been one of the best. They do have huge areas to cover, and depending on timing, case load, location, etc it might take them a day or two to get to you. Please remember that, and if you have a serious issue or legal problem you can always call the local LEO too. They will appreciate it and sometimes, a case is made better by having LEO support.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342219 11/08/18 04:39 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
I’ve had to contact GWs on several occasions. Always dealt with me in a very prompt professional manner. Maybe I’m prejudice but I think our state GWs are best in the country.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342223 11/08/18 04:45 PM
K
KingHunter17 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I called once on a guy keeping crappie out of a cast net. I called right when I saw him doing it and he said he was 10 mins away. 30 mins pass and the guy has over 50 crappie in several buckets. Called again and he said he was on his way. Another 30 mins pass and the guy is leaving with who knows how many crappie. Call one more time and no answer.

If the trigger is gold, the birds will fold.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342240 11/08/18 04:55 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Always had professional GWs when I have interacted with them. Texas GWs are the best in my opinion. If you want tough trying dealing with guys in Mexico.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342244 11/08/18 04:57 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I called the 1800 game thieft number and waited on hold for 30 minutes before I hung up.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342251 11/08/18 05:01 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Called the warden one time many years ago about a guy hunting on a county road that ran through our lease at Llano. He was there within the hour. We had the guys license plate number and he tracked the guy down on a nearby lease. He got the guy to admit what he had done, arrested him and hauled him 40 miles to the JP. The JP fined him, confiscated the deer and his rifle. He left the guy to find his own way home and then drove all the way back to our place to inform us of the outcome. We found out the warden lived down the road from our lease and he came by and had coffee several times over the years. Very nice guy and he never once checked our licenses or log book.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342264 11/08/18 05:14 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I’ve had mixed results but I never got upset because they were too far away.

Each time they were unable to respond the said they would be in our area more.

We hunted Dickens county for years the GWs cover lots of square miles.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342279 11/08/18 05:31 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I have met many GW in Texas over the years and 99% have been great. When we first bought our property poachers were a huge problem, the road out front was dirt/mud and looped back to the county road on both ends, road hunters loved it because they could escape easily. My neighbor and I got together and when we heard shots at night we would call it in and his tractor would accidentally break down blocking one end of the road so GW could catch the poachers. Call to county sheriff did no good, either his son or nephew....don't remember, was long ago, was caught the night before opening day with a pickup bed full of doe out front of our place. Besides being out of season and at night it was a buck only county!
I have not run into our current GW and have no desire to because of his past history with the department.... enough said.
We had one bad instance when we first bought the place years ago and dad got a nice buck after many years of not hunting. He filled out his tag and put it in his pocket while field dressing the buck and dragging it to an opening, got his explorer and loaded it in back and headed to the front gate. I heard him and met him there. A GW drove up and he checked our licenses and asked if we had any luck. Dad was excited and wanted to show off his buck and told the GW it was in the back. While admiring the buck he asked where the tag was and dad admitted he had forgotten to put it on after dragging it to the truck and pulled it out of his pocket properly filled out with the dates notched out and a zip tie thru it. BOOM, ticket, no warning. He lost respect for all of them then and there even though he was technically in the wrong. I have relatives that work or used to work for TP&W and met quite a few at meetings and events and all have nice and professional.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342293 11/08/18 05:40 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
They have always answered and responded when I call. Just remember some of the GWs are covering multiple counties and are spread pretty thin.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342307 11/08/18 05:55 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
If you can't get in touch with one, call the Sheriff's Office. The SO will get in touch. I've seen a few times where the GW was tied up on something when other calls rolled in. They can only be one place at a time and most have large geographical areas to cover. I'm sure they can get pretty covered up this time of year.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342314 11/08/18 06:06 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Be patient, some times they are at lunch with the fellas or with their girl friends.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342320 11/08/18 06:12 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
GW probably has to prioritize calls and duties minute by minute.
I'd assume if there wasn't a response right away something more pressing came up.
It's not their duty to advise me otherwise.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342327 11/08/18 06:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There are 254 counties, to cover 268,597 square miles. Or about a 1000 square miles per GW.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7342335 11/08/18 06:27 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I've only called once and had to leave a VM. Some meth head kids were walking down the county road with rifles trying to find something to poach. Finally heard back from him a couple hours later, somehow my call had not gone through. Unfortunate because he said he knew who they were and had been a problem before. He told me to call the sheriff as well next time.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: KingHunter17] #7343071 11/09/18 04:47 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted by KingHunter17
I called once on a guy keeping crappie out of a cast net. I called right when I saw him doing it and he said he was 10 mins away. 30 mins pass and the guy has over 50 crappie in several buckets. Called again and he said he was on his way. Another 30 mins pass and the guy is leaving with who knows how many crappie. Call one more time and no answer.

Made the same call once with the same outcome. I did at least see the GW in that area on subsequent trips so at least he was on the lookout afterwards.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Stevarino] #7343093 11/09/18 06:15 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Like the other thread, we noticed a fence line hunter opening weekend who set his ground blind 80 yards back off the fence aimed right into our fence.. the guy even had the nerve to mow a strip of his pasture from stand to fence. The game warden said he’d be happy to swing by their camp and have a discussion but didn’t have time on opening weekend to take a look. Warden was in camp when having his discussion and would have been a 5 min ride to see the issue. Not sure he ever went and talked to them but the stand is still there and I will call and video the first time is see a deer laying between the fence and his stand. Sux that we have to witness the crime before action is taken.

Well, the stand isn't illegal and mowing isn't illegal. No crime has occurred yet. The game warden can't really do much about legal activities. He could talk to the folks about your concerns, but he has no legal authority to tell them to move the stand or to not mow.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7343103 11/09/18 09:28 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Not a lot of respect for game wardens on my end. I have called with problems and almost always have gotten no help. For example I once had some people that snuck in hog hunting and I even caught their dog that had a protector type collar around his neck. I called the warden and he enquired about whether there was a name on the collar, but wouldn't come out to help me catch the guys. I saw their lights in the woods, but did not want to confront them by myself in the middle of the night. Finally had to give up and release the dog....it wasn't his fault !

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7343150 11/09/18 12:37 PM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Called our GW for our area day before yesterday. The neighbors have a feeder on our fence and a blind straight out, shooting over our fence. The went by there, called me and said yep, there is a problem. He said that he was going into their pasture (they have no cover) and check it out closer. I told him that the gate had a lock. He said "well, I'm a pretty good amateur locksmith". Said he would leave his card on the lock instructing them to call him immediately. Great GW, Lee Dycus, out of Brownwood, I believe.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7343260 11/09/18 02:15 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Well, the stand isn't illegal and mowing isn't illegal. No crime has occurred yet. The game warden can't really do much about legal activities. He could talk to the folks about your concerns, but he has no legal authority to tell them to move the stand or to not mow.

Agree there’s nothing illegal happening, but one squeeze of the trigger and there’s a problem. No way around it. Shoot all the legal deer you want, I don’t care.. but when you put me and my family in danger, we’ve got a big problem. I was hoping he’d make an educational visit and possibly encourage them to turn the blind around. My point here is he’s set up to break the law but nothing will be done until I make the next call after the fact.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Stevarino] #7343265 11/09/18 02:18 PM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Agree there’s nothing illegal happening, but one squeeze of the trigger and there’s a problem. No way around it. Shoot all the legal deer you want, I don’t care.. but when you put me and my family in danger, we’ve got a big problem. I was hoping he’d make an educational visit and possibly encourage them to turn the blind around. My point here is he’s set up to break the law but nothing will be done until I make the next call after the fact.

I totally agree!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7343370 11/09/18 03:17 PM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
About six years ago I heard a shot on my neighbors property that was so loud it about scared me out of my stand and I hunt about 300 yards from the property border. The owner lives out of town and doesn't allow any hunting as the property borders a wildlife preserve that my property also borders. There was man that had just started to lease it for grazing. Concerned that someone may be poaching, I called the game warden and reported the info. He stated he was close by and would investigate. Later found out that the game warden located a truck leaving the property and that it was the adult nephew of the man that leases the property. He had killed an 11 point buck that was aged at three years old and scored 134. Game warden stated that the hunter was given tickets for not having the buck tagged, no hunting license and gave a ticket to the man that leased the property for not having a lease license. Also stated that the hunter was also going to have to pay civil restitution for the deer and advised that would cost him more than $1000.00. I haven't heard any more shots around that property since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide