Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nocturnal deer #7340160 11/06/18 10:57 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Anyway to help this? This property I manage is just weird, i say that because 2 miles down the road the deer are the exact opposite.
I have 1000 acres with a 3 food plots, a 2, 3, and a 4. I have a couple of half acre plots too. Property is a pine plantation with hardwood bottoms. The deer are 98% nocturnal, even the does. I occasionally get a picture during the day, but it's the middle of the day and random too. The deer show up about 30 minutes after dark to whenever. I've had feeders and cameras out all year and it hasn't changed. It was this way last year too.
Anybody got any advice. They're hardly touching my food plots too, a mix of wheat, oats, clover, peas, etc.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340163 11/06/18 11:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Where are you setting up your cameras at now?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: stxranchman] #7340172 11/06/18 11:06 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

On feeders and active trails. I got one on an open area that has mature oaks in the open area. Still nocturnal.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340174 11/06/18 11:08 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I even opened up feed pens to allow pigs to get to corn to allow for competition, pigs were nocturnal, deer quit showing up. Closed pens off, and pigs have since left.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340177 11/06/18 11:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

On feeders and active trails. I got one on an open area that has mature oaks in the open area. Still nocturnal.

Is there to much water to put one or more on a water source? Any active scrapes or rub-lines that you could put some on? IME deer that are nocturnal on my place do not live on my place and are traveling to far to get here before dark until the rut starts. I am only getting daytime photos this fall when the day temps are below 60 or cooler with all the acorns and fresh green growth. I am not getting any TC pics in my feed pens at all right now since I am road feeding. I had to turn my corn feeders back down again this past weekend. I know I have the deer since I got them at night all summer and into Sept. Had a huge persimmon crop, then acorns started in Sept and rained 18"+ in Sept/Oct. I am not even seeing deer moving from the blind where I can see 3/4 mile in one direction and then 200-500 yards in a couple of other directions. Not even eating road corn up the first night and make take them till the 3rd night right now also sometimes. Cold weather next week will change that again I bet with rut about to kick in.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340186 11/06/18 11:19 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'm in deep east TX, got more water than we know what to do with.
I've put cameras on field edge scrapes and all night pics, except one daytime.
I've been walking this place for the past two days and haven't found any rubs, or other scrapes.
The deer are coming to the feeders for the most part right now, just never during the day.
Since the end of September I've gotten more bucks showing up too that weren't around when they were in velvet.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340192 11/06/18 11:26 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
My scrapes are dead right now and bucks are locking down does. It does sound like they’re traveling a ways to come see you. Sometimes the contrast between thick woods and open plots are more than deer want to deal with during daylight hours. Then again, I saw 14 bucks Sat morning and not the first dang one were caught by any of the 4 cameras on that stand.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340196 11/06/18 11:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Where do you think your bedding areas are at on the place? Is the hardwood bottom a travel corridor? I would move cameras back off the feeders on trails to see if they are using them and what time they are using them.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: rifleman] #7340197 11/06/18 11:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Sometimes the contrast between thick woods and open plots are more than deer want to deal with during daylight hours. 

Can you explain this a little more?

Some of the place is thick young pines and some of it was more mature stuff that was thinned last year. I definitely have more movement(more deer I guess) in the area that it is thinned.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: stxranchman] #7340204 11/06/18 11:37 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Where do you think your bedding areas are at on the place? Is the hardwood bottom a travel corridor? I would move cameras back off the feeders on trails to see if they are using them and what time they are using them.

I honestly can't answer that. I think the hardwoods are used for everything. They have the water there in the creeks, acorns, thick cover. I've yet to bust a deer anywhere while walking through the woods. I take cameras with me while walking for that reason too. I'll find an active trail and get no pics.

I know it all sounds weird, but this place is not like any other I've ever seen.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340217 11/06/18 11:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I honestly can't answer that. I think the hardwoods are used for everything. They have the water there in the creeks, acorns, thick cover. I've yet to bust a deer anywhere while walking through the woods. I take cameras with me while walking for that reason too. I'll find an active trail and get no pics.

I know it all sounds weird, but this place is not like any other I've ever seen.

Do you know what the deer density is for that area of the county? My area of my county is supposed to be a deer to 17 acres but I have more deer than that. But like you I am not seeing much at all on cams the last 6 weeks. This year is much different than any of the past 6 seasons for deer movement with all the rainfall and mast crops than in the past in my area. I see deer tracks after the rains but not seeing them on particular trails like in the past. I see a lot of rubs, rub-lines and scrapes now. They are scattered all over my place. I shredded roads and fencelines and saw them without having to look for them. There is very little rub/scrape activity around the feeders this year like in years past. I know the buck numbers are high and still here but just not seeing any signs of them in daytime. Saturday morning I saw a buck and doe in a food plot(that was not up yet) and then nothing at all till this morning when I saw 2 bucks. I picked up TC and there was not a deer in two feed pens for two days and then only one buck along with one doe in the other feed pen.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340230 11/07/18 12:01 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
f

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340233 11/07/18 12:03 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Finally got pics to work. One spot is half an acre with plot and oak trees.

Other one is the 2 acre plot. You can see on the left the hardwoods and right the pines. All of the big plots have it where there is hardwoods next to the plot, along with the pine plantation.

f

Last edited by KWood_TSU; 11/07/18 12:05 AM.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340235 11/07/18 12:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Are all your pens that small? If the camera is only covering a small portion of the throwing area you may be missing some deer. The reason I ask I watched mature buck jump in a feed pen one morning and stay inside it for 45 minutes with a couple of other younger bucks and does. I never got one photo of him in front of the camera. Same for other deer I watched jump into pens before and never got a photo of them. Some deer just can avoid being in front of a camera. With pens that small they can eat corn outside the fence. I would put a bait pile outside the pens with a camera over it only. That way you will know if your deer are avoiding the camera.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: stxranchman] #7340239 11/07/18 12:09 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Are all your pens that small? If the camera is only covering a small portion of the throwing area you may be missing some deer. The reason I ask I watched mature buck jump in a feed pen one morning and stay inside it for 45 minutes with a couple of other younger bucks and does. I never got one photo of him in front of the camera. Same for other deer I watched jump into pens before and never got a photo of them. Some deer just can avoid being in front of a camera. With pens that small they can eat corn outside the fence. I would put a bait pile outside the pens with a camera over it only. That way you will know if your deer are avoiding the camera.

That one pen is small, but it's open on both ends. The other spots have larger pens and have the feeders slightly off center with the camera slightly facing the more open area.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340250 11/07/18 12:23 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"

Finally got pics to work. One spot is half an acre with plot and oak trees.

Other one is the 2 acre plot. You can see on the left the hardwoods and right the pines. All of the big plots have it where there is hardwoods next to the plot, along with the pine plantation.

f

Wow, that is beautiful!

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340260 11/07/18 12:30 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Sometimes the contrast between thick woods and open plots are more than deer want to deal with during daylight hours. 

Some of the place is thick young pines and some of it was more mature stuff that was thinned last year. I definitely have more movement(more deer I guess) in the area that it is thinned.

As in they just aren’t going to want to walk out in the broad open when they don’t have to.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: Superduty] #7340263 11/07/18 12:33 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Superduty

Wow, that is beautiful!

Isn't it? The deer need to come see it in the daytime though lol. Hopefully in the next month or two things change once it cools off, I guess only time will tell, but apparently it's been weirdly nocturnal for a few years at least, I've only been here since February of this year, so it's a new place to me. Last manager didn't care about hunting and knew nothing, so there's poor records.

On a side note, I did just go through pics again. Unfortunately we live in an area closish to a small ghetto and there's a few stray dogs around, witnessed by trail cams. I never get to see them in person, but you think the dogs are enough to make them nocturnal?
Might need to do some coyote calling and see what pokes its head out.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: stxranchman] #7340266 11/07/18 12:35 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Both pics are cell phone pics too, sorry I didn't mention that.

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: rifleman] #7340268 11/07/18 12:36 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

As in they just aren’t going to want to walk out in the broad open when they don’t have to.

that's what I figured you meant, just wanted the clarification.

Thanks

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340300 11/07/18 01:02 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Randomly place alarm clocks throughout the pasture, set to go off at various times throughout the day. The deer will have to sleep at night and return to feeders in the daytime. Also, disable the snooze buttons.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: LandPirate] #7340889 11/07/18 04:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Randomly place alarm clocks throughout the pasture, set to go off at various times throughout the day. The deer will have to sleep at night and return to feeders in the daytime. Also, disable the snooze buttons.

trout loco grin

Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: stxranchman] #7340917 11/07/18 04:54 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

trout loco grin

bang

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340925 11/07/18 04:59 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'd look for an area with plenty of oak trees and hang a camera along a trail. Personally I think deer eat multiple times a day but if all they have to do is hang around an oak flat then they're not about to show themselves in broad daylight in a food plot or feeder pen. JMO but that's the way it is on my place.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Nocturnal deer [Re: KWood_TSU] #7340937 11/07/18 05:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
That's a great food plot! Come late December when other food sources run out, you should be seeing a lot of deer! You might even draw some bucks that you have never seen before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide