Page 1 of 2 1 2
Luckiest Hunting Moment #7339721 11/06/18 05:14 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
What's the luckiest thing that has ever happened to you in the field?

Mine is finding my truck keys after 3 hours in the field.

I'm sure some of the ol' timers on here have had quite the stories. Lets hear them!

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7339729 11/06/18 05:22 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Lost a pair of Swarovski binoculars while walking and rattling. Found them one year later, right by the tree where I had left them.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7339814 11/06/18 06:15 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
1. Drove home and had just enough cash to get enough gas to drive back to my deer blind to get my wallet and make it back
to a filling station to fill up.
2. Found my cell phone by seeing the little blinking light when I drove through the gate.
3. Shot a great buck while headed for the truck to grab some TP.
4. Had my family with me when I a piece of porcelain broke and cut the artery in my wrist. They got me to the highway
where an ambulance could take me to the nearest hospital. Lucky they were there
5. My buddies were with me when i was pushing cows off the hunting pasture and fell and broke my shoulder. The took me to
the hospital. Missed bow season because of it. lucky they were there too

Last edited by hook_n_line; 11/06/18 06:30 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7339928 11/06/18 07:40 PM
G
Gulfgoose Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Lost my phone in a rice field while setting a goose spread. Buddy walked all the way to the edge to take a leak for some reason, instead of close and just happened to see the corner of it sticking out of the water when he was standing there.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7339938 11/06/18 07:46 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I shot a deer and buddy realized his phone was missing an hour or so later after taking care of it. It was a large ranch so no clue where it could be. He luckily had a connected ipad and we used the find my iphone all. It was in the middle of the road several hundred yards from where we got my deer. Guess he set it on the truck when wondering where I was and drove off and it fell. We probably ran over it a time or two as well.

That same deer was my luckiest. Hunting conditions were horrible all morning, super thick fog. No feeders or anything but in a blind at least and freezing. Temp was low 30s and forecast was 40s. Walked around a few times and found some young deer. Get back in blind and got out again to overlook another pasture. Playing Candy Crush at this point and my phone rings and it is my buddy to pick me up. I can barely see him in the fog at my blind.l so I start walking back and then they drive off. I get ahold of him a minute later but he is picking up a other buddy who got a deer earlier. I get back in blind and it is 10:20 now. At 10:30 fog lifts and I see a doe dart across the pasture about 230 yards away. Behind her was a buck. And behind him was another buck. A minute later another buck. And then a couple minutes later a 4th buck and he is wide, mature and tired. I shot him at 220 yards and he went about 300 more before I found him. Shot both legs somehow. This was in Dec so rut is never always over in north Texas.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7339940 11/06/18 07:49 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Lost my phone while walking back to the cabin. Traced my steps back through the thick tall grass field and found it

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: hook_n_line] #7339945 11/06/18 07:54 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
1. Drove home and had just enough cash to get enough gas to drive back to my deer blind to get my wallet and make it back
2. Found my cell phone by seeing the little blinking light when I drove through the gate.
4. Had my family with me when I a piece of porcelain broke and cut the artery in my wrist. They got me to the highway
5. My buddies were with me when i was pushing cows off the hunting pasture and fell and broke my shoulder. The took me to

WOW. If only the TP situation were to happen to me! Seems like our phones have been causing some stress to lol.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340028 11/06/18 09:15 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: SenkoSamurai
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

WOW. If only the TP situation were to happen to me! Seems like our phones have been causing some stress to lol.

Yeah. My dad lost his phone while walking in the creeks at my place. We went home and my brother went out the next day and found it and had to mail it to him. roflmao

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340123 11/06/18 10:22 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Hearing my Dad tell me about the very first turkey he called in and shot - he was 72 at the time.

Having a hang-on tree stand break on me and falling the 5' until the safety harness/rope went taut. I was 35' up the tree.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340175 11/06/18 11:10 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
After the sun had set in the final six or seven minutes of light on the last day of an eight day hunt. It was just like the cheesy magazine articles, only way, way better.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340314 11/07/18 01:27 AM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Dove hunting opening evening this year. I noticed that my cell phone wasn't in the pocket that I had it in. Very new I-Phone 8 Plus ($900) Dang lucky that we had service in the field. Had a guy call my number. It took a few minutes, but eventually I heard my phone ringing. Made sense that it was where I winged a bird and had to run it down.

JR

Last edited by jrgocards; 11/07/18 01:28 AM.
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340320 11/07/18 01:35 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Back in the days of beepers the company had just handed out new ones and we were told not to loose or break them. Well I dropped mine in the woods while hunting so I had it on silent. Thank goodness for that red blinking light, found it on my walk in trail.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340698 11/07/18 01:54 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Hunting national forest north of Houston. Had a pack on my back climbing tree stand and my favorite rifle a Browning BAR 30-06. Wanted to get away from roads and crowds so hiked in a couple miles through some really thick cover and brush. No luck so I hiked back to the truck in the afternoon. When I got to the truck and unloaded every thing to my horror my rifle was no longer on my back. Fortunately I had used my Garmin with tracking to enter and return to the truck. It took me about three hours of following the track back and forth through some really thick cover several times but I was lucky enough to find my rifle. It had gotten stuck on some branches and pulled the rivets on the sling. With the bulky load I never felt it happen. I consider the recovery a lota luck!!!!!!!1

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340760 11/07/18 02:45 PM
V
varnoldi13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Last year my fiance was hunting by her self, she was smoking a cigarette while checking Facebook when she heard something hit the feeder 21 yards away . She looked up to see her target buck standing there. Dropped her phone and smoke to draw back her bow and shoot him.

"If you put a Yeti sticker on it, you'll get another 50 FPS"-soonerorlaters
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340802 11/07/18 03:20 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I was in Mexico this past January hunting Coues Whitetail. Glassed up one buck that made me curse (silently) like a proverbial sailor. He was an absolute stud. Grabbed my guide to have him take a look. Gave the guide my Sig range finder and got a range. The deer disappeared and popped up several moments later a good distance away. Moved to get a better shot angle, got a range, and the deer moved over the hill. We ran after that buck and found him. Guide went to range him and no range finder. Unsure of the distance (300+ yards) so I passed on the shot.

We started looking for the range finder and could not find it. Slowly traced our steps back to where we first began. Scoured that area and nothing. After about half an hour, I said "F* it" since the guide has a Leica range finder. At this moment I notice a cow that was not there when this excitement started. I told the guide "hang on" and went to where the cow was. Sure as hell the cow found my Sig range finder. After this that buck is called Sig and we never found him again. I did get a couple of nice bucks on that trip but nothing of Sig's caliber.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Do not waste time; just shoot the damn buck especially when he makes you curse (in a good way).

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340823 11/07/18 03:36 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
shot a big long nose gar, it stripped all the line off my bowfishing spool, after fighting it in current for a few minutes it managed to cut the line on a barbed wire fence. about a half hour later i see a white arrow sticking straight up coming up stream. a walk over to a guy crappie fishing in waders and ask him if he could grab it, he did and pulls the fish to shore. he finally saw what was on the end of the arrow and kind of freaked out. landed the fish and all was good. five years later i walk by some guys bowfishing and hear a guy telling this same story, introduced myself and we have been best of friends for the past 8 years and i was in his wedding. im lucky to have landed that big gar but even luckier to have met my great friend.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340836 11/07/18 03:48 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When I was in high school I was hunting in an old elevated blind with a buddy’s sister. The blind got to rocking and tipped over. Luckily neither one of us was injured.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7340943 11/07/18 05:14 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Sooooooooo you used a DOE tag huh?

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7341066 11/07/18 06:51 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
back when I was younger, got really bored sitting in the stand. Happened to have my .22 with me so started shooting at rabbits, I was in an elevated blind. 5 minutes after a round of shooting, a nice little 8 pt. walks out of nowhere!

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7341233 11/07/18 08:58 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Driving home at night from an unsuccessful deer hunt deer hunt with my son. I notice my parking brake is on and reach down to pull it off and accidentally pull my hood latch which pops the hood as we are going 65 mph. I pull over - we are in the middle of nowhere - no lights no houses - and my son jumps out of the truck to close the hood. He jumps back in and we are down the road for twenty minutes and then he says, "I can't find my cell phone". We realize it was on his lap when he jumped out. Fortunately, I had stopped for gas before driving home and had reset the odometer to check gas mileage. We were 17 miles down the road from the gas station before I realized my parking brake was on. After closing the hood and driving for 20 minutes we were 35 miles total down the road. We turned around and went 18.5 miles back and turned around. My son says there's no way we'll find the phone. I told him we would call it with our lights off, look and if we don't see it, pull up 50 yards and try again. In the second hundred yard stretch of our search, we called did not see it, turned my lights back on and pulled up 50 yards and we saw its orange camo case - lucky day.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7341906 11/08/18 01:28 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Took my GF hunting with me one afternoon and well lets just say I got luckey... grin

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7347198 11/13/18 05:25 PM
G
gmac Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Shot at a good buck one time and couldn't find any blood. Searched for a while and gave up. Walking back to the stand I found him piled up. Glad I chose to walk back a different direction.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: scalebuster] #7347311 11/13/18 07:16 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by scalebuster
When I was in high school I was hunting in an old elevated blind with a buddy’s sister. The blind got to rocking and tipped over. Luckily neither one of us was injured.

why did the blind start rocking LOL

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7347439 11/13/18 08:46 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Finding my phone on the deer lease three different times after losing it. Last weekend lost it again, prayed the whole time walking around looking for it in the dark. No one at the lease with me so could not call it but would not matter anyway because I had it on vibrate. Prayers once again answered, phone found.

Re: Luckiest Hunting Moment [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7347444 11/13/18 08:50 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Before phones what did people lose? Their thumbs? grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide