Print Thread
Is your pup broke before first hunt? #7334872 11/01/18 11:27 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I want my first year pups to learn to hunt and point birds before I think about whoa breaking. I firmly believe pup chasing birds there first year builds there desire to hunt and find birds

What say ye

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7335219 11/02/18 03:23 AM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
You are wrong.

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7335237 11/02/18 03:43 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Start of year one no. I will have a reliable recall and whoa, learned away from birds and it will be steady on shot. I don't say anything to the dog while it's on point. If it points and allows me to flush the bird I will kill it so it can get it in its mouth to understand it is hunting for the gun without pressure. I like a bird savvy dog that relocates on its own when the bird runs but you have to free it up and have patience to get there.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: nate33] #7335423 11/02/18 12:51 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: nate33
You are wrong.

You could both be wrong depending on the birthdate of the pup. Spring pups will not be ready.

Cracker was whelped on 9/7/07. She was not ready to hunt during her first season. I took her with me but she would not hunt. You never know how long it will take to switch a pup from pen raised birds to wild bobwhite quail. Cracker only bumped one covey her first year. There is a difference bumping and taking out a covey. I started her yard training in August. This is what I put her through before taking her hunting. She was steady to shot.

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
[quote=bill oxner]I've had a few PMs asking about my training method. I did this on another forum, so I still have the pictures in my album, so here goes;

All bird dogs point. The breaking process teaches them to hold point. There are two ways to teach a dog to hold point, with dozens of variations. The first way is to let the birds train the pups. That generally involves launchers and pigeons, with some whoa breaking mixed in. It's very effective. I use the Delmar Smith method, substituting the e-collar for the bump under the chin. My dogs are completely whoa broke before I put them on birds. I use pen raised quail, because I can be done with them for the summer. I like to start in August, and finish in time for hunting season.

I start off on the whoa post. I introduce the e-collar the same day, that I introduce the whos post. Here's cracker on her first day with the whoa post;

I keep them on the whoa post only until I can get out in front of them, and then go to the yard for heel and whoa. Cracker tended to sit, so I had to start with the suitcase hitch. I go from the yard to longer walks. The pup has pretty well gotten it down after three weeks.

I then go from the walks to whoa in the field. Here's Cracker in the field in the field, before I put her on birds. This whole process has taken me around four weeks.

This is her first day on birds. I train alone, so I had to plant the bird, where I could wrap the CC around a bush. Notice the slack CC.

I kept her on the CC for three training days. She only went around on the bird one time. Here she is after 9 training flushes.

I started walking some of the birds out after a few days. Here you go;

A little side note. My birds were not recalling all that well, so I used Cookie to point them while I netted them;

A lot depends on the pup, and you have to adjust for each pup. Cracker has never taken out a single pointed bird or covey.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7335478 11/02/18 01:37 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If they have a little handle on them, and let me walk in on a pointed bird some of the time. I will take them, but not shoot birds they creep in on, or flat out bust. I look at it as puppy/young dog education, and not actual hunting.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7335661 11/02/18 03:54 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is a pasture across the road that once held wild bobwhite quail. Cracker pointed over there a few times in the spring at six to seven moths old. Here's one point she backed the first dog she ever saw pointing. Here's one of her points from over there.

Her only exposure to pen raised birds was after a NSTRA trial. I did not turn her lose on those. Here you go.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7335723 11/02/18 04:45 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I Think letting pups run anytime is a good idea. They can’t learn anything sitting in the kennel. It’s fun to watch them get their first nose full of bird. If it’s your only dog they can still help you find your dead birds. I’d prefer to have a pup broke before season but that’s not always possible. I say if they know their name and will come to you, go ahead and take them. When they’re chasing flushed bird is as good a time as any to introduce gunfire.

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: scalebuster] #7335893 11/02/18 06:42 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I Think letting pups run anytime is a good idea. They can’t learn anything sitting in the kennel. It’s fun to watch them get their first nose full of bird. If it’s your only dog they can still help you find your dead birds. I’d prefer to have a pup broke before season but that’s not always possible. I say if they know their name and will come to you, go ahead and take them. When they’re chasing flushed bird is as good a time as any to introduce gunfire.

This

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: Chet] #7336111 11/02/18 10:54 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Chet

This

X2 except waiting that long to introduce gunfire.

[Linked Image]

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: Chet] #7336363 11/03/18 12:09 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Chet

This
Exactamundo!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7337706 11/05/18 02:01 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I won’t even begin to pretend that I know anything about training bird dogs. I love to hunt, but I don’t like to train. However, I have learned that I get a better dog if I raise it and bond with it. I can’t make my dogs sit, they will not retrieve to hand. However, the best Dog I have got nothing more than hunting. He watches me, checks in and hunts with me. He points and holds birds letting me walk past him to flush them. He backs other dogs on site, and I can call him in to hunt dead. I love him! All I did was take him hunting. Lots of folks have a lot better handle on their dogs but he does fine for me.

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: blanked] #7337768 11/05/18 02:49 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sounds like a natural pharmvet!

Re: Is your pup broke before first hunt? [Re: pharmvet] #7337934 11/05/18 11:58 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Cherish him pharmvet. Those are rare!

Bobby Barnett

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide