Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Rattling #7334475 11/01/18 05:52 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
What's the best YouTube video on how to do it? 'Haven't tried it in 20+ years.

Thanks.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334506 11/01/18 06:18 PM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I can make you a video. And just do the exact opposite of what I do.

Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334509 11/01/18 06:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Here is a reply I gave several years ago on how I rattle. I learned by trial and error. I found out what worked for me did not always work for the next guy on a different ranch or lease. IME, the week or so prior to peak of the rut and then the week or so after the peak of the rut was the best times to rattle. Seeing deer up and moving is also been the most important key IME for success. What I have seen most people do is being to timid with rattling at first, lack aggressiveness and length of the rattling sequence.
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Rattling is all about timing and using the right amount or "type" of rattling at the right time. Bucks react differently to rattling depending on the stage of the rut. For me the best time is the week before the peak of the rut. Then about a few days after the peak. You need a decent buck to do ratio but can you can still rattle in bucks no matter what the ratio is. They all react different to how aggressive they come into rattling. Some will sneak in, some will charge in, some will only move when you rattle and then stop when you stop and some will trot in slowly being while others might be very cautious. For me I will rattle if I see bucks up and moving or "cruising" checking new territory or for does. If two bucks are fighting they are not playing but trying to kill each other so don't be timid with your rattling if they are moving in quickly. Some fights last a long time while others are only a few seconds. Other times they move in slowly and it might take 7 or 10 or 15 or even 30 minutes to appear. Many older bucks will stall out if you have other younger bucks in close if your timing(for the rut) is off just a bit. Best to rattle in pairs with the rattler separated from the shooter. Use the wind to your advantage knowing bucks will try to circle downwind from you. So put some open cover downwind if possible to give you the opportunity to see them first. When they are moving in quickly or aggressively there is no better hunting experience than to rattle in 8-12 bucks in a few short minutes. Picking you location to rattle is almost as important as the timing. I prefer real antlers for rattling but fake or synthetic ones will work. Don't over rattle by rattling aggressively and to much to early. Don't be timid or shy with your rattling either, experiment and remember what worked or did not work along with the timing as to the rut. I have rattled with does in front of me and they only lifted their heads to see what the commotion was then went back to feeding. It is all about timing and adjusting how you rattle with what the deer are doing. I have rattled from a blind with success but the most success was to get into a travel corridor or feed/food plot or travel area close to a buck bedding area. Weather is important also, cold/drizzly/misty days with temps in the upper 30's to mid 40's was always my favorite. The less wind the better, so the sound carries. You will be amazed at how a buck can pinpoint your exact spot just from a rattle or two. I always use a grunt tube when rattling also. Just remember you are imitating a fight and how aggressive the fight will be is the time of the year. So don't be afraid to rattle and make some noise. To bucks fighting are noisy and running over or into brush, trees limbs or rocks. If what you are doing does not work in one location does not mean it won't work 1/4 mile away in a different location.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rattling [Re: Roll-Tide] #7334527 11/01/18 06:29 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334540 11/01/18 06:34 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Don't over think it. I have rattled in way over 1,000 bucks.Those were all in southwest Texas. I hit the horns together for about one minute, wait a minute and then hit them again for a minute, wait a minute and hit them for a 3rd time for a minute, but this time not as loud. stay very still and Wait for 5 more minutes and then move to another spot if nothing comes in. Did not think it would work anywhere but south texas however:
This is a very long story, but I'm going to make it short. My wife and I have been hunting for the last 3 days south of Eastland. Only seen 1 doe and a 4 pt and 6 pt. We hunt together in the same stand. At 8:30 this morning she said, "I can't hold it any longer. I have to potty." She climbed down but said, give me those horns, I'm going to try to rattle." She has never done that before. She potted right under our stand, and I thought, "good grief, you have got to be kidding me, this hunt is over for sure." She started hitting the horns together. With-in 30 seconds, I saw a buck running at full speed across a field about 300 yards away. It headed straight for her and stopped about 10 yards away. But she was looking the other way and did not see the buck and because of the trees I could not get a shot. She stood up and started climbing back up the ladder to the stand when I leaned out and said, "sit back down and hit them again." The buck had circled to get down wind of her but when she hit the horns again, it stepped out at about 60 yards. The rest is history as they say. But I have to say, what a great memory we will have together for the rest of our lives. It was the biggest buck that we have seen on our place. As I have said on here many times before, I love my wife. A little more after today!!!!!!!!!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334555 11/01/18 06:45 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
That's an awesome story^^^

Re: Rattling [Re: Roll-Tide] #7334622 11/01/18 07:22 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334725 11/01/18 09:06 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
up

Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334736 11/01/18 09:17 PM
S
Slimpickin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
cowboy texas Nice One and Great Story!

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334749 11/01/18 09:30 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I do a lot of what Ranchman does. To me the key is to actually make it sound like a fight. Young deer will come in easily to just about any rattling but it’s my belief and experience that the mature bucks know better. You need to make it sound like they are about to square off by stomping the ground grunting. Then start the rattling sequence but do t just hit the horns scrape the ground the brush kick dirt and rocks with your feet while rattling make it sound realistic. I rattle 2-3 min straight then wait 10 min then do it again. Just know I’m thick woods you may never see them as they will come in down wind if they can. I have rattled in a lot of bucks on Ft Hood. To me it’s the funnest thing when in the woods to see a buck come in to your rattling.

Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334765 11/01/18 09:38 PM
B
Buccaneer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I've had great success combining rattling with a buck decoy. When they see that decoy, they are seeing what they EXPECT to see which makes them more likely to come in AND takes the focus off of you (if you place your decoy correctly). I love seeing bucks bristle up and stomp and paw the dirt like an angry bull.

Re: Rattling [Re: Roll-Tide] #7334774 11/01/18 09:42 PM
P
Paralax22 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P

I can do the same and if you do the opposite of us both, you should be fine.

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334824 11/01/18 10:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thanks to all for the help. I'll make it as rough sounding as possible. 'Hope I don't fall off a bluff. I'm a decent turkey caller, so this should be fun.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7334862 11/01/18 11:20 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My wife shot her best deer by rattling him in, two days in a row. I told her that I left a rattling bag in that blind, and to use it. She was reluctant, since she didn’t know what she was doing. I told her to just make a bunch of noise with it for a few seconds and pause for a few seconds, and that she really couldn’t do it wrong. This was a mesh bag with plastic sticks in it, operated by the clueless, in a very heavily hunted area, and was the best buck shot on the lease in three years. Absolutely listen to those guys that know what they’re doing, but I’ll tell you like I told her, you can’t really do it wrong.

Re: Rattling [Re: Sneaky] #7334882 11/01/18 11:37 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
My wife shot her best deer by rattling him in, two days in a row. I told her that I left a rattling bag in that blind, and to use it. She was reluctant, since she didn’t know what she was doing. I told her to just make a bunch of noise with it for a few seconds and pause for a few seconds, and that she really couldn’t do it wrong. This was a mesh bag with plastic sticks in it, operated by the clueless, in a very heavily hunted area, and was the best buck shot on the lease in three years. Absolutely listen to those guys that know what they’re doing, but I’ll tell you like I told her, you can’t really do it wrong.
also depends on the bucks that hear it. That buck may have just kicked some butt and was ready for some more who knows. The thing is if you never try you will never know.

Re: Rattling [Re: Creekrunner] #7335009 11/02/18 01:09 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Yep. It’s worth a shot.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide