Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,159
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: scalebuster] #7333789 11/01/18 01:56 AM
K
krazy kris Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Glad you got your deer. It sounds like watching the dog work was more fun than killing the deer.

When I seen the buck get up and start stumbling off it made my heart sink and I pulled up the binos and could barely see through them from shaking so bad. He was not a monster by any means so I'm still glad I got excited over an older deer that needed to be taken out of the gene pool.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: Roll-Tide] #7333790 11/01/18 01:57 AM
K
krazy kris Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Good looking dog. He hadn’t missed many meals. Give him an antler to eat.

I bought him a big bag of his favorite treats (bacon strips) that's my kind of dog right there!

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: krazy kris] #7333821 11/01/18 02:20 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: krazy kris
Glad you got your deer. It sounds like watching the dog work was more fun than killing the deer.

When I seen the buck get up and start stumbling off it made my heart sink and I pulled up the binos and could barely see through them from shaking so bad. He was not a monster by any means so I'm still glad I got excited over an older deer that needed to be taken out of the gene pool.

No need to make anything less of a good harvest and putting forth the extra effort to recover the animal. A lot of hunters would not have done that. They would have walked no more than 100 yards or so to look for the animal before turning around and thought to themselves, “It happens to everyone.”

I applaud you.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: krazy kris] #7333829 11/01/18 02:28 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Congrats on the deer and fine recovery with a friend an his dog.

If you have never watched a good dog trail one it can be fun to watch them work it out. i hqve a dog that has found the deer he was put on almost all the time except for one. Some were very much alive when found most were dead his oldest tracking job they lost the blood trail 16 hours before we put him on it the next morning. We had a lab years ago that could let her off the leash she would go locate the deer and return and sit waiting for us and she would then take the most direct route to the deer. She was a very good asset to have, she was also a chocolate lab.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: Texas Dan] #7333834 11/01/18 02:32 AM
K
krazy kris Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: krazy kris

No need to make anything less of a good harvest and putting forth the extra effort to recover the animal. A lot of hunters would not have done that. They would have walked no more than 100 yards or so to look for the animal before turning around and thought to themselves, “It happens to everyone.”

I applaud you.

If I can I'll do everything I can to not waste any meat and try my best to make a good shot but it does happen. I hate watching TV shows where they go look the next day and find an animal that had died 50 yards or less and the yotes and other predators have had their fill of it and all they care about is the antlers.i like antlers too but if an inferior deer needs to go and it's old enough and legal I'm taking it out.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: krazy kris] #7333956 11/01/18 05:38 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Congrats! You know you hit it so instinct took over. Was there any sign anywhere during the track?

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! [Re: Txduckman] #7333975 11/01/18 10:33 AM
K
krazy kris Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Congrats! You know you hit it so instinct took over. Was there any sign anywhere during the track?

No blood until about 50yards from where the dear died. I've never done a liver shot before but Mr Smith said that with a liver shot they don't bleed out much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide