Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wanting to Learn #7330941 10/29/18 10:25 PM
S
SirJeepALot Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
All, this is embarrassing to say, but I'm interested in learning to hunt. I'm 45 years old and I've never been hunting in any capacity. My dad was a hunter, but was only ever interested in going with his adult friends, so I was never taught anything about it. I'm very proficient with my bow and firearms; however, I would be utterly lost field dressing animals, ensuring I am taking ethical and legal shots, etc. Any advice on how to get started? My son is 14, and I'd really like him to have the opportunities I missed out on, but I'm not really in a good position to teach him yet.

Last edited by SirJeepALot; 10/29/18 10:26 PM.
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7330946 10/29/18 10:26 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Where are you located?

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7330972 10/29/18 10:46 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Embarrassed for why? Now is just as good as any to start. Why not make this a father AND son journey?

And welcome to the THF.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: GLC] #7330991 10/29/18 10:57 PM
S
SirJeepALot Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Dallas/Ft. Worth area

Last edited by SirJeepALot; 10/29/18 11:36 PM.
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7330994 10/29/18 10:59 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Don't be embarrassed, most of the people on here don't know what they're doing. grin

I'd recommend both of you sign up to take the Basic Hunter education course Link to course (take the classroom course) your son at least, will be required to take, in order to get a license and partake in my next recommendation of getting him signed up with the Texas Youth Hunting Program. TYHP link

It's an excellent organization of volunteers dedicated to teaching kids how to hunt. You'll get paired up with a TYHP guide for a weekend hunt where both of you will have a great time, learn alot and most likely (it is still "hunting") bring something back home. I did it with both of mine and it was a great experience for all and I learned alot as I grew up shooting feathers vs fur.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: decook] #7330995 10/29/18 11:00 PM
S
SirJeepALot Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Thanks!!

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331028 10/29/18 11:23 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
You’re going to learn that “hunting” means different things to different people.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331034 10/29/18 11:29 PM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I started hunting 3 years ago at 47. Shot a decent buck my first season and have been hooked ever since. Honestly, what really drives my passion for hunting is the learning part of it; it’s the challenge of figuring things out that makes it fun. For example, last year I didn’t get a buck. The deer just weren’t coming to the feeders because of the bumper crop of acorns we had last season. So this off season I did my homework and found the trails where the deer were traveling, so that if they don’t come to feeders again this season, I’ll come to them.

I still have a ton to learn, but some things I learn from experience and other stuff I can find on the internet. YouTube is a great resource for stuff like seeing how to field dress a deer, etc.. You can also learn some things from a select few hunting shows line Meat Eater or Fresh Tracks.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331058 10/29/18 11:48 PM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Welcome. There are no stupid questions here. Well, that’s not really the case. There are a ton of stupid questions here but they don’t usually come from novice hunters and some are not even hunting related. That said, it is a fun group with a lot of helpful people from all backgrounds. You will enjoy this forum. Welcome to the brotherhood.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: CharlieCTx] #7331061 10/29/18 11:48 PM
S
SirJeepALot Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Don't be embarrassed, most of the people on here don't know what they're doing. grin

I'd recommend both of you sign up to take the Basic Hunter education course Link to course (take the classroom course) your son at least, will be required to take, in order to get a license and partake in my next recommendation of getting him signed up with the Texas Youth Hunting Program. TYHP link

It's an excellent organization of volunteers dedicated to teaching kids how to hunt. You'll get paired up with a TYHP guide for a weekend hunt where both of you will have a great time, learn alot and most likely (it is still "hunting") bring something back home. I did it with both of mine and it was a great experience for all and I learned alot as I grew up shooting feathers vs fur.

Thanks for the links! We have already done the hunter Ed. But I didn’t know about the youth program. I’ll definitely check that out.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331067 10/29/18 11:51 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: dogcatcher] #7331220 10/30/18 01:48 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
welcome

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331296 10/30/18 02:30 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No reason to be embarrassed, we all started from the same place at some point. I'm just happy to see more people joining our team and getting into the woods.
If you have any friends who hunt, I would suggest seeing if you could tag along with them, not to hunt but to observe and learn from start to finish. Also, you would be surprised at how many videos there are on youtube that can teach you a lot about field dressing deer. Like anything else, it's not difficult once you learn the basics. The rest you'll learn through trial and error.
Getting your son involved at the same time is awesome. Even though you are both getting started, you can still teach him while you're both learning just based on natural differences in maturity between you.
Welcome to the THF and to the hunting world. welcome

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331319 10/30/18 02:58 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SirJeepALot
All, this is embarrassing to say, but I'm interested in learning to hunt. I'm 45 years old and I've never been hunting in any capacity. My dad was a hunter, but was only ever interested in going with his adult friends, so I was never taught anything about it. I'm very proficient with my bow and firearms; however, I would be utterly lost field dressing animals, ensuring I am taking ethical and legal shots, etc. Any advice on how to get started? My son is 14, and I'd really like him to have the opportunities I missed out on, but I'm not really in a good position to teach him yet.

I will trade hunting tips for Jeep work on my CJ... roflmao

welcome

My one question is how have you been a member of the THF for 11 years and still haven't started hunting?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7331322 10/30/18 03:07 AM
S
SirJeepALot Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
My one question is how have you been a member of the THF for 11 years and still haven't started hunting?

Heh, that’s a fair question. I decided when my son was three that I would try, but my wife is a stay at home mom and we had three kids so money was super tight. So I didn’t have any resources at the time. Now I’m in a better place to get started.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331341 10/30/18 04:01 AM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I invite "novice" friends to hunt with me all the time. Ask buddies or coworkers that hunt if you can tag along. The easiest and cheapest species to hunt around DFW is dove, so you are kind of late on that one for 2018. But see if you can tag along on a doe or pig hunt with someone. Even if you aren't the one pulling the trigger, you can learn a lot by observing others.

I never even shot a gun until I was married. My FIL almost forced me into it, but it's been my favorite hobby for years and I'm getting my boys into it. Every single time I hunt, I take advice from others, figure out things on my own or learn from my own mistakes.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331344 10/30/18 04:15 AM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
It's never too late to begin. I started just five years ago. Just this past weekend while chasing Coues whitetail in AZ, I met a father and son and this was their first time hunting. The father was in his early 50s and his son was in his early 20s.

This is a great opportunity for your and your son to bond. Do the hunter safety course together.

I strongly recommend doing a couple of guided hunts. These do not need to be expensive. Be honest with the outfitter and explain that you and your son are new to hunting. They should be able to provide you with a capable guide who will answer your questions, show you how to do things, and let you be "hands on". You should have no problem finding multiple outfitters on this Forum that can meet your needs. This can be a great way to dramatically ramp up the learning curve.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331346 10/30/18 04:20 AM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Personally, I think the best way to learn is simply to get out in the woods and do it. If I were in your position, this is what I would do:

1) Get the legal requirements taken care of, i.e. hunters ed. (which you said you did already) and license.

2) Choose what you want to hunt - deer season is upon us and there is really no reason to start small. Choose to hunt deer & hog.

3) Knowing what you're going to hunt - choose appropriate weapons. Don't even ask anyone on here what caliber of weapon because you're going to get the whole range of them handed to you LOL.... personally I like to hunt with a 30-30 in the woods but a lot of these guys are going to advise you on a .243, .270, .308, .30-06, etc. … it really comes down to what you're good at shooting with and whether it's appropriate for the game you are hunting.

4) If you're hunting with optics, hit the range a few days ahead of time and make sure your optics are zeroed in - not just so you make sure you hit what you aim at but so that you ensure you hit WHERE you aim at. While it doesn't always happen, everyone should strive to make their kills as quick as possible - you don't want an animal suffering for hours if it can be avoided.

5) Pack appropriately for the hunt - make sure you have everything you need, not just for the hunting/processing of the game but also what you need if you get lost or hurt.

6) Plan your hunt - a lot of guys just go out into a general area and hunt but the more planning you put into it the higher your odds of a successful hunt. I personally use OnXmaps to plan my hunts. I mark the legal hunt zones (including any standoffs from roads, etc...) and then mark my actual hunting path that I "plan" on taking (which takes into account important things like creeks, elevation, recent thinnings, distance away from roads, paths, etc...). Be sure to leave a copy of your hunt path with the wife, just in case smile And be sure to add waypoints during your hunt for things like locations of acorns, rubs, game paths, etc. (this is all useful for your future hunts). Plan several possible hunt routes based on possible wind direction and when you get out there choose the appropriate route based on the current wind direction.

7) Be sure you know how to appropriately field dress what you are hunting before you kill it. There are literally hundreds of youtube videos that can make quick work of that topic for deer & hog. So watch a few, hell download them on your phone and take them with you just in case if you aren't comfortable with remembering. Once you do it a few times, you won't forget.

8) Just get out there and hunt. Follow your plan. Maybe you'll get something on your first time out, maybe you won't get anything all season. But the more you get out there, the more you'll learn what you're doing. Maybe put up a couple of game cameras around areas you "think" deer might be visiting often so that you'll know for certain. But being out there and looking for the game signs and learning the woods is an important part of the process.

Be stealthy, hunt the wind. Hunting when it's raining could be of help to you as well - deer rely a lot on their sense of smell and their hearing. A good rain screws with both of those senses. Personally, I go in as deep as I can - best way to avoid most other hunters - but the deeper you go the further you got to drag the game if you get some smile And most importantly - don't shoot at anything you aren't looking to kill - so be certain what you are shooting at and that it's safe to shoot at (no hunters down range from your target). If you don't have a good clear and clean shot - don't take it.

Most importantly, have fun smile

Last edited by Binary; 10/30/18 04:29 AM.
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331389 10/30/18 10:26 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
welcome

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331428 10/30/18 11:27 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
As said, tag along with buddies that hunt, ask questions, exhibit interest and respect for the sport and nature. Those things go a long way with experienced hunters and show a sincere interest and willingness to learn. What I wouldn't do a lot of is watch a bunch of commercialized hunting shows. Sad to say but those are mostly product marketing vehicles under rather controlled hunting environments but to each their own. Welcome and good luck.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331437 10/30/18 11:36 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

Good advice given above.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331454 10/30/18 12:00 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I respect a man who can admit that he knows nothing about an activity or sport & asks for help.

I’m sending you a PM.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331743 10/30/18 03:24 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
youtube has a plethora of info.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331907 10/30/18 05:04 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
i would recommend starting with a couple pig hunts, you will go through a lot of the same procedures/methods in hunting them and the follow up after the shot has been taken such as the field dressing. they are in good abundance and normally way cheaper to hunt.

Re: Wanting to Learn [Re: SirJeepALot] #7331910 10/30/18 05:04 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF.
flag

i'm postaddic
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread