Bird Dog
B
Interesting study by AKC
Robby

What Dog Owners Need to Know About the FDA’s Grain-Free Diet Alert

By Anna Burke

Oct 22, 2018 | 2 Minutes

dietsafetyhealth

The FDA launched an investigation into potential links between canine heart disease and diet — specifically grain-free diets. We’ve compiled the information you need to know to understand this recent development.

What is the FDA Investigating?

It is easy to jump to conclusions anytime we see an FDA headline about pet food. After all, our dog’s health is important to us, and we know that diet can make a big difference in a dog’s wellbeing. We reached out to Dr. Jerry Klein, the Chief Veterinary Officer of the AKC, to hear his thoughts on the investigation.

“The FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain grain-free pet foods. The foods of concern are those containing legumes such as peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes listed as primary ingredients. The FDA began investigating this matter after it received a number of reports of DCM in dogs that had been eating these diets for a period of months to years. DCM itself is not considered rare in dogs, but these reports are unusual because the disease occurred in breeds of dogs not typically prone to the disease.”

What is Dilated Cardiomyopathy?

Dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a type of canine heart disease that affects the heart muscle. The hearts of dogs with DCM have a decreased ability to pump blood, which often results in congestive heart failure.

Recommended for YouCan Dogs Drink Milk?

Some breeds, especially large and giant breeds, have a predisposition to DCM. These breeds include Doberman Pinschers, Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, and Saint Bernards. While DCM is less common in medium and small breeds, English and American Cocker Spaniels are also predisposed to this condition.

When early reports from the veterinary cardiology community indicated that recent, atypical cases in breeds like Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Whippets, Bulldogs, and Shih Tzus all consistently ate grain alternatives in their diets, the FDA took notice.

Last edited by Birdhunter61; 10/26/18 01:51 PM.
Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7327811 10/26/18 02:28 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
From what I've read and what this study states is it's not about it being grain free or that dogs need grains but that the legumes and potatoes are the problem.

Just FYI I do not feed GF but I do feed corn, soy and wheat free.

Almost all higher end dog foods that I know of except for PPP are soy, corn and wheat free.

Typically these higher end food use rice and it whole oats for carb sources.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7327920 10/26/18 04:31 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What food do yall reccomend? I've been reading good tings about Purina Pro Plan, Victor and Pride.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dog food study [Re: BuckRage] #7327946 10/26/18 05:02 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
4Health is good sold under Tractor Supply made by Blue Diamond

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Dog food study [Re: BuckRage] #7328059 10/26/18 06:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
What food do yall reccomend? I've been reading good tings about Purina Pro Plan, Victor and Pride.

Victor is good, Texas company and they own their own manufacturing facility. No corn, soy or wheat. Protein source from beef meal or chicken meal which are both very good.

Purina Pro Plan is good, they sponsor a lot of the retrieving games. Has corn as a main ingredient and protein source but that's not necessarily bad depending on who you talk to. Chicken is the other protein source. Most of the pros feed it.

Extreme dog fuel is one that a lot seem to be switching to. I've heard good things about it but I don't know much about it.

The best food on the Market IMO is Dr. Tim's Kinesis or Pursuit. The problem is availability.

Origen is also very good but very expensive.

I feed Victor because I can get it locally and had trouble in the past getting Dr. Tim's.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 10/26/18 06:51 PM.

Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7328081 10/26/18 07:16 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I feed Victor in the teal bag. My picky eater of my two gobble it up.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7328521 10/27/18 03:52 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've been semi following this from when the first reports showing up. My understanding is that the theory is that the high levels of legumes in some of the grain free diets binds taurine that the dog needs for a healthy heart. I'm not sure if this has been tested in an animal study at this point. I think the foods that were at the heart of it were some 'boutique' brands of grain free.

The problem with some of the smaller food companies is they don't have the money to invest into R&D that a Purina, or Science diet does. This COULD result in a diet that isn't appropriately balanced. These companies are likely to be chasing fads in the pet food industry, and not necessarily looking out for the best interest of your pup.

I personally feed my dogs pro plan. They seem to do well on it. I'm personally not opposed to feeding grains to dogs. They digest corn fairly well and the grains are further down the list of common food allergens than most people realize. The most common food allergens identified in dogs is beef and chicken.

There are tons of good dog feeds out there. I chose pro plan because my distributor sells it and I can have it shipped to my house easily. I do not sell any dog food at all.

Re: Dog food study [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7328637 10/27/18 01:22 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
I've been semi following this from when the first reports showing up. My understanding is that the theory is that the high levels of legumes in some of the grain free diets binds taurine that the dog needs for a healthy heart. I'm not sure if this has been tested in an animal study at this point. I think the foods that were at the heart of it were some 'boutique' brands of grain free.

The problem with some of the smaller food companies is they don't have the money to invest into R&D that a Purina, or Science diet does. This COULD result in a diet that isn't appropriately balanced. These companies are likely to be chasing fads in the pet food industry, and not necessarily looking out for the best interest of your pup.

I personally feed my dogs pro plan. They seem to do well on it. I'm personally not opposed to feeding grains to dogs. They digest corn fairly well and the grains are further down the list of common food allergens than most people realize. The most common food allergens identified in dogs is beef and chicken.

There are tons of good dog feeds out there. I chose pro plan because my distributor sells it and I can have it shipped to my house easily. I do not sell any dog food at all.

I don't think it takes a whole lab full of scientist to figure out what proper nutrition for a canine is. I know Dr. Tim's was founded by a Dr of canine nutrition and a veterinarian that competes in dog sledding.

Science diet is terrible and many of the other foods (not ProPlan) Purina puts out are horrid and some of the worst foods on the market.

I don't think that it's valid to say just because they are a big company they'll produce a better quality food. That's like saying buying beef at Walmart is better than buying from my local Rancher. I would be more inclined to say the opposite is true when is come to buying from small family owned companies vs big companies.

It's also no secret as to what is in these dog foods. You can look at all the ingredients and the percentages.

I believe if you'll take your time, do your research and actually compare foods you'll find that some of these other small companies put out a better quality food.

Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7329057 10/28/18 12:26 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Have any of y'all tried pro plan salmon?
Robby

Re: Dog food study [Re: Birdhunter61] #7329319 10/28/18 04:51 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
Have any of y'all tried pro plan salmon?
Robby

I tried it in the past, when one of my dogs had allergies.
He was allergic to chicken, and something else.
I never figured out what the something else was.
By trial, and error, I wound up feeding him Merrick. It was fish based, and had fewer ingredients.
More expensive than some of the other foods, but cheaper than ongoing vet bills.
I like Proplan. If a dog does well on it, its my first choice.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide