Page 1 of 2 1 2
I just dont get it #7327556 10/26/18 07:44 AM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
If you're hunting a particular piece of public land and seeing lots of deer,including mature bucks,why on earth would you want to blab about it on a public forum where all the world can see it? Are you just lonely and want tons of other guys to come out and keep you company? Because that's whats gonna happen.It seems to be a younger generation thing,where guys feel compelled to give minute-by-minute "Facebook-style" updates on what they're seeing.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327733 10/26/18 01:35 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Originally Posted By: swampthang
If you're hunting a particular piece of public land and seeing lots of deer,including mature bucks,why on earth would you want to blab about it on a public forum where all the world can see it? Are you just lonely and want tons of other guys to come out and keep you company? Because that's whats gonna happen.It seems to be a younger generation thing,where guys feel compelled to give minute-by-minute "Facebook-style" updates on what they're seeing.

I give reports, whether good reports or a skunk report.
Just because they were there that day, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be there again tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that, and so forth.

I've had folks bash me over FB about sharing fishing spots.
Some because I'm "blabbing out "secret" spots".
While others because the spots I shared resulted in them getting skunked.

But I do appreciate good info for preparation.
For example, someone posting that all the creek beds are full of water is telling me to expect to get wet if I want to cover some ground.
Someone posting that the oak trees are full of acorns is telling me they're going to drop soon.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327787 10/26/18 02:13 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
For me, it's because a lot of us in today's world don't get out as much as we like. If I can help a fellow hunter out and try and help him have a successful hunt, I'll do it every time. After all, it's not my land. It's owned by all of us. A lot of the talk on here is drawn hunts. On these, you will likely not be going back to the same place but every couple of years at best so why not share the knowledge? That way when people get these chances they don't come back defeated. Part of the reason I love hunting so much is the camaraderie and hunters helping hunters. We're conservationists, animal welfare proponents, and hunters.

Also, I'm not even 30 and I don't even have a facebook. Kidding aside it's a younger generation thing. We grew up in an age where the largest form of communication was online. The fault is this. You think you have this one great spot and you don't want to tell anyone. But, when you talk to guys you realize there are several good spots you had no idea about. Talking about it can benefit you just as much as other people.

Having said all that. I'm not giving anyone a fishing spot.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 10/26/18 03:46 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327870 10/26/18 03:26 PM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I dunno,maybe I'm just being selfish and paranoid but I don't want some weekend warrior,"internet scouter" getting lucky and killing a big buck I been chasing the last 2 or 3 years.Knowing that guy wouldn't have even been there if he hadn't seen some other guy's posting of a bunch of trail cam pics of big deer on that property and talking up what an awesome place it is to hunt.By the way,this isn't directed at anyone on here,but a couple of other hunting forums I frequent it is rampant.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327880 10/26/18 03:45 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I get it, man. It's all about perspective. YOU put in the work and someone else gets the payoff. That can be frustrating.

I get to hunt quite a bit now. But, for a long time, I was traveling on the pipeline and got to hunt when I was off for Thanksgiving and that's about it. So I don't look at them like weekend warriors. I look at them as hunters who love to hunt but don't have the means or time to do it frequently. I've been there and it sucks. Are there idiots out there that are just to lazy to scout and put in the work? Absolutely. But, I try to focus on the former type of hunter more than the latter. Lifes awesome and life sucks. It can't be one or the other, It has to be a mix of both. So while I don't post every place I hunt, I don't hide them either.

No worries. Never thought of it as an attack.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327928 10/26/18 04:38 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Yeah I'm with Thisisbeer on this one... it's all about "camaraderie and hunters helping hunters". The odds are that a very limited number of people will even read the forum and even less that they will actually interfere with your hunting spots. And yeah, a lot of us work 80+ hours at work and come home to young kids and thus don't get to hunt much each year, so even getting a general idea of areas where nice deer have been sighted can help out people who love to hunt and don't get to often. Believe it or not, little things like that can really have a positive impact on people's lives. I even help people out and save them time by providing my marked up GPS maps - doesn't matter to me. Good Karma smile

Last edited by Binary; 10/26/18 04:45 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7327984 10/26/18 05:45 PM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I've read so many horror stories about over-crowding and bizarre incidents at Lake Whitney and elsewhere and I don't want the places I hunt to turn into that. I say horror stories but some of them are actually quite comical. smile

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328022 10/26/18 06:17 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I've read so many horror stories about over-crowding and bizarre incidents at Lake Whitney and elsewhere and I don't want the places I hunt to turn into that. I say horror stories but some of them are actually quite comical. smile

I think the key to that statement is "stories". I'd guess about as many such horror stories are true as claims by people that the deer they shot "didn't take a single step, it dropped right where I shot it!"

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328147 10/26/18 08:40 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Naming a public property is rude, idiotic,foolish, stupid, disrespectful, shameful, immature, self promoting on and on and on and on.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: ducknbass] #7328164 10/26/18 08:52 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Naming a public property is rude, idiotic,foolish, stupid, disrespectful, shameful, immature, self promoting on and on and on and on.

Can you explain that thought?

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328185 10/26/18 09:13 PM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

Hunted Whitney and Aquilla ,seldom run into others but the few times I had it was admittedly at expected peak times. I learned to plan to go to not coincide with openers and weekends etc...or you can expect that...Id go into more details about how successful Ive been, and what All Ive seen over last 15 years but I'm follow your tone here. smile

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: I just dont get it [Re: Thisisbeer] #7328193 10/26/18 09:22 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Thisisbeer

Can you explain that thought?

I've hunted public my whole life crowds of people who have not scouted are not your friend. If you do not know that list it under the immature line. No offense meant. Just reality. I'd give someone a fishing hole before I gave up a hunting spot you've got it backwards. Some knucklehead can be 30 yards from me while I'm catching fish and his activity does not effect my fishing may be annoying but the fish will bite. If I'm deer hunting and some knucklehead walks through a bedding area the evening may very well be shot if I'm duck hunting and some guy sets up a 100 yards away doesn't know how to run a call and is shooting my swings hunt is shot.

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/26/18 09:23 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328210 10/26/18 09:38 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I guess I'll get into all of those listings though.
Rude disrespectful. It's these things to the other people that have been hunting the property trying to be successful putting in the leg work waiting for the right wind. Waiting for the bucks to be chasing. They don't care that you're the Bernie Sanders of the hunting world.
The reality is all those people you're "trying to help" aren't going to be successful anyways. Just ruin others success.

It's foolish stupid idiotic for those reasons but about your success instead of the other guys.

Its self promoting because a lot of young guys like to say look at me I killed this here knowing possibly it's rumored as a tough place to be successful.

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/26/18 09:39 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328212 10/26/18 09:42 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
That all sounds like it's part of public land hunting to me. But, generally the guys on this forum aren't the guys that are doing those types of things. It's really hard to say no offense meant when you just labeled me as rude, idiotic, stupid, shameful and immature. That last one is the only one that bothers me. You say all that and have the nerve to call me immature? Pretty ironic...

Look, I get it can be frustrating sometimes out there when someone messes up your hunt. But putting everyone into one basket is a foolish thing to do. I like the hunters on this website and if I can help them out I will dang sure do it. I don't see any reason to get childish and start name calling over it.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: ducknbass] #7328214 10/26/18 09:46 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I guess I'll get into all of those listings though.
Rude disrespectful. It's these things to the other people that have been hunting the property trying to be successful putting in the leg work waiting for the right wind. Waiting for the bucks to be chasing. They don't care that you're the Bernie Sanders of the hunting world.
The reality is all those people you're "trying to help" aren't going to be successful anyways. Just ruin others success.

It's foolish stupid idiotic for those reasons but about your success instead of the other guys.

Its self promoting because a lot of young guys like to say look at me I killed this here knowing possibly it's rumored as a tough place to be successful.

You don't have to like it. But, I thinks it's rude and disrespectful to think you have some say over property you don't own. Sometimes you put in the leg work and someone takes advantage of it and your left with the short end of the stick. That's the choice you make when you choose to hunt public land. The people own it, not you. Your apart of that people, but a very small part.

So your argument is these "Stupid" people can come in and hunt animals you worked hard to try and get. But, then your argument for not telling them is because the wouldn't be successful anyway? Come on, man. Pick a a side.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 10/26/18 09:47 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328223 10/26/18 09:56 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
No it's the same. You don't have you kill a buck to run him off.

You can be offended if youd like that also shows your matury level. The opinion of someone on the internet should not offend a man.

Look I'm not even upset about not harvesting an animal I'm never jealous of anyone else's success. I enjoy going to the woods not dealing with a knucklehead who drove into town never scouted the woods and walking aimlessly with a bow or a gun. His success rate is going to be low. I don't even get upset when it happens i wave smile and possibly strike up conversation. But I'm not going to increase the odds of that happening to me by bragging on the www.

There is a reason for years and every generation before is tight liped about public spots. Ask any western hunter from Steve rinella on down. You simply do not it and that reason is not that people are mean. It's because it will ruin a once good hunting spot. Those western guys won't hardly mention a unit number ie thousands if not millions of acres.

Ps I never said "stupid people" when referring to people hunting and not scouting etc. Only kids bragging on the internet...

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/26/18 10:11 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328226 10/26/18 09:57 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If you're hell bent on helping your fellow man carry a box of Bible's around and pick up hitch hikers.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328238 10/26/18 10:12 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I guess I’m not used to seeing people use so many derogatory names when there not offended I just assumed you where upset.

I also assumed that these people existed on public lands before the internet existed. But maybe not...

I also never said a word about bragging. Just about giving people information.

I specifically remember a story from Rinella about how he was embarrassed by a friend of his blatantly lying about killing an animal to cover up the spot. But, you seem strong in your convictions, more power to you. Maybe if there were more hunters like you we would have more people wanting to hunt and less anti hunting folks. But, I guess if the just walked aimlessly it wouldn’t be to much fun anyway.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328241 10/26/18 10:17 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Dude I've pmed more people on this site suggestions on hunting than I can remember. I got not trouble sharing... Properly... I tell people all the time there is more than enough public hunting spots to go around. Encourage people to get out, that the stereotype that you have to spend 1500 on a lease to hunt when you live in Texas is wrong.

There is a difference between lying and just not saying a word....

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/26/18 10:17 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328251 10/26/18 10:27 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Well, that’s confusing. So you are fine with sharing public hunting information now? Which is fine. But a few posts ago it was shameful. Maybe I misunderstood something along the way. It’s happened before.

I want to make it clear I’m not talking about one particular way of sharing information. I’m just talking about sharing this information in general wether it’s through a pm or post on this website. It feels like your angry at the crappy public land hunter that ruins people’s hunts and that’s been the stem of your argument against that one particular stereotype.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328254 10/26/18 10:31 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If someone gets on the the thf in let's say June and says looking for public info I'm in DFW and blah blah.

I'll pm say hey what's your mileage range what kind of weapon are you hunting with and a few more questions. I will then say hey here here and here is where I would check with some leg work or a boat uou should be able to be successful.

Which is much different than I'm hunting ______ right in the middle of season when even scouting can booger up a hunt.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328261 10/26/18 10:40 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Ps I thought this conversation and I did go back and look at the op. Was about people getting online and saying I've been hunting here with success.

Kinda like teach a man to fish give a man a fish. I'm attempting to teach people how to look at public land you're attempting to give them a spot.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328262 10/26/18 10:40 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I help people and don't have any problem with my level of success - I can't say that any help I've ever provided affected my success in any noticeable negative way...I've hunted in almost every state in the country and will put my record against anyone here smile I generally find other hunters to be courteous/polite and haven't really ran into anyone who purposefully ruined someone else's hunt.

I'll be honest, all I am hearing is "I'm a self centered individual who thinks because I've taken a few walks in the woods to plot my hunt on PUBLIC land that I'm somehow more deserving than others of any game around". Sounds to me like you need to buy your own land so you don't have to deal with public hunting :P

I've helped plenty of people - contributing to their success (yes, not everyone is going to fail just because they "got help" - that's a ridiculous statement). And I've also had people I've helped reach out and return the favor.

If you're scared of other people ruining your hunt, you're probably not that good of a hunter. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Binary; 10/26/18 10:46 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328263 10/26/18 10:46 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Hey brother binary I'll be the 1st to tell you I'm terrible at hunting. That's of no offense to me.

The argument that "it's not your land" it's not yours to blab about either.

I think you've both misunderstood helping with getting on the internet and saying "I'm doing great here" which is what I assume the op was saying... Well because that's what he was referring to

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/26/18 10:51 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328276 10/26/18 11:05 PM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I'm saying I don't want to be in the woods with 50 other guys.I want to be in the woods with 10 guys.(yikes,maybe I better re-phrase that) grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide