Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? #7326734 10/25/18 02:53 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
When selecting the ammo you shoot for hunting, what decision criteria do you use to select the bullet you shoot? Why do you pick a certain bullet?

Dual purpose target/hunting bullet, high BC, solid copper, bonded bullet, cheap lead bullet? Polymer tip vs soft point vs hollow point? Flat base vs boat tail? Heavy and slow vs light and fast? Don't care and just want it to go bang? What's your criteria?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7326757 10/25/18 03:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I shoot nosler partitions.

I pick them because they flat work. You can shoot them 2200 fps or 3500 fps and it doesn't matter what you hit shoulder, ribs etc. its going to expand and its going to penetrate. At the distances I shoot the bc will never mean more to me than the performance it offers.

If I ever get into shooting critters past 300 yards maybe ill have to reevaluate.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7326825 10/25/18 03:43 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I make the initial choice based on the desired terminal performance considering what I'm hunting and the velocity I expect. Once I get to testing, it has to be accurate, and it has to perform on game. If not, then I'll change to something else. One good example comes to mind. When I started working up a load for my .270, I chose the 130gr Hornady SST based on my research on how it shoots and performs. It was accurate, but I didn't like the terminal performance. I prefer a good exit wound and wasn't getting that with the SST. So, I switched to Partitions. They are about as accurate but I like the way they perform much better.

Another good example is how I chose a bullet for my .325WSM. Most of the 8mm bullets on the market are designed for 8mm Mag velocities, so I had carefully consider bullet construction and weight so I was using something that would expand on deer at the expected velocities. My first choice was a 220gr something and it did not expand to my satisfaction, so I stepped it down to a 195gr interlock, which I expect to perform better.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7326895 10/25/18 04:51 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
The gun and cartridge come into play a lot when I am selecting a bullet as well as expected game and shots. Also like Redchevy and Triplesnake I like the bullet to exit.

That said a lot depends on the cartrige and gun I am using. I will choose a standard cup and core bullet or more modern cup and core bullet for cartridges shooting below 2600 fps since thy work well in that velocity and usually exit on deer sized critters. For faster cartridges I will go with partitions (they just work) or bonded core bullets. I am not really a fan of the all copper bullets, yes I have used them and still do in a couple rifles.

In slow movers it will be cup and core or bullets or some will use cast bullets such as the handgun cartridges in a rifle or handgun and the 4570. On the 375 Winchester I really like the Hawke bullets, accurate and preform very well.

My favorite hunting bullet is no longer made for teh 357 Mag which is the 180gr Partitopn, I use it in 357 Mag, 357 Max and for some reduced loads in the 350 Remington Mag. When my supply runs out I will switch to the Swift A-Frame for them.

My longest on gam shot was with the 7mmSTW 160gr Partition on a pronghorn doe at 509 yards. High shoulder shot and she dropped on the spot as one might expect. At the time I was shooting out to 600 yards on a regular basis for months before the hunt in preperation for that trip. But the partition worked well not to todays standrds but well within minute of deer to that range.

these adys I reach for Accubonds and Accubond long range for several rifles as they have proiven accurate in my rifles and preform very well on gme.

The 44 Magnum handgun and boltaction get 320gr hard cast with a large meplat, not Ranchdogs design but if I were casting my own it would be his bullet design. ]

The smaller the bullet and the faster I push them the more I rely on tough bullets, for years in teh 22s it was the 55gr Trophy bonded Bear claw bullets but have since switched to the 60 gr partition or Swift Sirocco or the 22s. Their 62gr works well in the 223 and I really like the 75gr in the 22-243. When I was shooting the 243 some it got Swift Sirrocos as well. The 7mm-08 gets 1040gr accubonds. The 6.5 grendel now gets 129gr LRAB, the 6.5-284 gets either the ABLR or 140gr partition, if i were going longer with it that might change but for the shots I have where I now hunt they are plenty good enough. The 264 win mag id one of the exceptions to the Copper bullets it eats Barnes bullets very well.

The 350 Remington Mag i a hammer with the 220 gr prtition, 4 hogs with one shot would attest to that. They should not have lined up at 140 yards under a feeder.

This year with eye surgeries I will hunt with something small or the 357 Max Ruger BH and it will be loaded woth the 180gr partition.

Like said earlier I like exit holes

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7326928 10/25/18 05:15 PM
P
papa45 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
I am mostly a hunter, but have started doing more long-range target shooting in the past couple of years. My criteria are accuracy, terminal performance and cost, not necessarily in that order.

.243 Win: Started loading Hornady 87gr SP for deer and just thought maybe I needed to go heavier. Tried Hornady 95 gr SST and was very disappointed with terminal performance. Then went to Nosler 95gr Partition, thinking they would be good for deer as well as a little tougher for hogs. I was pleased for many years. I started more target shooting and switched to Hornady 100gr BTSP, because they were cheaper and proved to be more accurate at longer distances. Because I had a bunch already loaded, I started using them for hunting and have been pleased with their performance on deer and hogs, so far. Still a fan of the Partition.

.270 Win: Started loading Hornady 130gr SP for deer and they worked well for many years. Also loaded a Nosler 150 Partition for an elk back-up, knowing it was tougher and a little less accurate, but never actually used it. Loaded a Nosler 140 Accubond for mule deer, because I was impressed with its ballistics and performance. Started more target shooting and went to Hornady 140 BTSP...same story as for the .243.

Similar thought processes for other calibers. Current load for .30-06 is Nosler 150 Partition for shorter-range deer and hog. Current load for .300 WM is Nosler 180 Accubond for elk.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7326955 10/25/18 05:34 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I choose based on the terminal performance that I am looking for based on the rifle/load/intended purpose. As was stated above, that will be different for each caliber/firearm.

Generally speaking, for center fire hunting rifles, I like heavy, tough bullets. I did try eld-x in my 6.5 recently trying to get the high BC in a tough bullet all at once, but I failed to find an accurate load for it. I did find an accurate load using the standard accubonds, and will be hutning with them this season. For my 45/70, I load FTX 300 gr HP, even though 300 gr is not heavy for that caliber, I figure it is heavy enough.

For my 357, I load 158 gr HP for the pistols, and 158 gr FP for the rifles. Higher speed, I figure the FP will hold together better. I also have some 200 grain lead bullets that I will be loading subsonic for the 357 as soon as my suppressor arrives.

For what I don't reload...
.223 I shoot 64 gr nosler PPT for pigs and 50 vmax for varmints.;.300 BLK I shoot 125 gr SST for pigs/deer and bulk remington 120 gr for holes in paper. Again, different bullets chosen with completely different criteria based on what the final use of th ebullet will be.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327092 10/25/18 08:12 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
For my handgun/carbine/military surplus gun loads, I just buy cheap ammo and load it; don't care about optimal accuracy, I just plink them.

For my .300 Win Mag, I started with 165 H SST (for no apparent reason) and they seemed to do the trick on deer and hogs, so I just have never changed. Couple years back, I walked up on a group of doe in the distance, I ranged them at 375 yards, I dropped one in her tracks that was proof enough for me to keep that load. I have 2 buddies on my lease that shoot 300 WM and they use different bullets/loads; but I am happy with what I have.

For my daughter's .300 BO, I using H 125 gr H SST; buddy told me what he was loading in his bo so I loaded her some of that, she seems to be pretty accurate with it, so for now, we will shoot that.

For my daughters' 6.5 Creedmoore I didn't have a chance to work up a load last year, so we started off with factory 143 H eld and happy with the results, we still have 3 boxes left after those are gone, I will need to work up a load for that.

Not a die hard Hornady guy, I'm sure there are other options, just seems to be what I have been loading/shooting for our hunting rifles.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327118 10/25/18 08:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I err towards more penetration so I stay completely away from any and all varmint-type bullets for anything other than varmints. IMO they work spectacularly when they work and fail spectacularly when they fail. I don’t go into hunting any animal with the idea of needing to head/neck shoot them or even the idea of having to have the animal in this or that particular position in order to take a shot that will reach its vitals and put it down. For example, if I have a quartering-to or quartering-away shot on an elk I want a bullet I know will penetrate, get to where it needs to go, and hopefully even exit. If I have to take a follow-up shot on an elk, grizzly, or even ram/deer that may present who-knows-what shot, I want a bullet that will penetrate.

My starting point for deer is cup-and-core and also includes other bullets up the toughness scale like Nosler Partitions and AccuBonds. The list of these type bullets is long but those are on my particular list. Today, I would include the Hornady ELD-X on that list.

For tougher game like elk, moose, grizzly I don’t consider the cup and cores but then add the monometals to the list.

Since I don’t handload, when I get a new rifle I simply buy boxes of ammunition of the types on my list for that particular rifle - and then let the rifle make my decision for me based on what it shoots most accurately.

My two most-used hunting rifles are a Sako .300 WSM and Sako .270 Win. The .300 loves Barnes TSXs in 180 grain and the .270 loves plain old Winchester PowerPoints in 150 grain. They have worked fine for me on a wide variety of game so I see no reason to reinvent the wheel. If they had been more accurate with NPs or some other good bullet that would provide good penetration I would be using them and be just as happy.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327146 10/25/18 08:55 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
To determine accuracy of a factory built gun I always load either matchkings or accubonds, if the gun doesn't shoot those at 1MOA or under I won't load for it. I like to use berger elite hunters because they aren't to sensitive on seating depth and perform well at close and long distances. Accubonds are 2nd because of inherent accuracy and decent BC plus perform well for hunting. 3rd ELD's perform well for hunting but i haven't got precision accuracy down range like the berger or matchking. A few hunting situations with the bergers have nearly made me quit using them, I shot a few deer that ran off like they were on fire with the bergers, those shots didn't hit dense tissue or bone and the bullet penciled through lungs leaving faint blood but still recovered the animal. I aim for mid to slightly high frontal shoulder with bergers and they work very well resulting in no tracking. Depending on caliber and speed the accubond can be quite graphic on exit wounds especially within 300yds. I've only used ELD's out a 6.5CM for my older son, he's killed several deer and pigs with no tracking needed out to 400yds. For smaller calibers I use barnesX for deer and haven't lost a deer yet, some run but they always leave a good blood trail. My younger son shot a management 8 last year that weight 220lbs with a .223 62gr barnesX at 120ish yards in the shoulders and the bullet went through both shoulder and the deer barely made it off the sender.

Last edited by spg; 10/25/18 08:59 PM.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7327154 10/25/18 09:03 PM
120sportmod Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
For years I was strictly a bonded bullet type person, but after purchasing my first full custom rifle, hand loading, and shooting precision long range. Have switched to the heavy for caliber high b/c bullets- Berger vld hunting and recently the Berger elite hunter and haven't looked back. I know some people dont like the idea of no exit wound, and to each his own but I have taken more animals than i can remember with 6mm, 6.5mm, and .30 caliber, head shots and vitals and have watched all of them drop with the exception of two. One of those ran about 40yrds and the other was operator error...lol

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327167 10/25/18 09:15 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I tried the 120SST in my 6.8 years ago cause so many people online were saying they worked as good or better than the considerably more expensive 95TTSX. I haven't gone to anything else because they are working for me and so easy to find.

I use the 162ELDX in the rig you helped me with cause if I decide to hunt with it I can and most importantly cause they are the newest thing and all the cool kids are using them.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327194 10/25/18 09:40 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
out of the .243 that i mostly hunt with its 100 gr winchester power points because that's just what i started the gun with and they shoot good, i shoot that gun a lot so the price point is good, and have had great results on hogs, deer, and turkey.

out of the .270 i started with winchester power points and had good results, bought a box of 130 gr hornady SST's on sale to try out and they shot better so going with those right now.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327246 10/25/18 10:37 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Accuracy. For no real hunting reason. It’s been said here by many others but “only accurate rifles are interesting”. For that reason I shoot Amax. It has adequate hunting capabilities and I’ve yet to find a rifle that shot something else better although admittedly I don’t even try anything else anymore. Eventually the Amax supply will dry up out there and I will change horses. I know that any safe bullet would be perfectly fine in 99% of the hunting I’ve done up till this year. This year I have the opportunity to shoot as far as I feel ethical for me. Glad I got that T3 hunter down to acceptable groups.

I did have a hunt years ago when I was in my late 20s early 30s that I flat took the wrong gun. I was deer and aoudad hunting in del rio with a 375 H&H. Due to practice it did the job. Somebody said those goats were tough. I said watch this.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327722 10/26/18 01:29 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ballistic tip Noslers in 260 and 270. Prior to that it was Nosler SBBT. Like many of you, I prefer an exit. Always got that with the BTs whenhunting deer, but not always getting exits on hogs these days. Bullet weights are selected to give me about 3000 FPS, or close to it. Not planning to change bullets, since they are extremely accurate and do the job required.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7327777 10/26/18 02:04 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Lots of bullets work when everything is right, not all of them perform well when things are not perfect....heavier bone encountered, etc. I want bullets that work when things may not be perfect. Acvubonds,some of the BT"s, and partitions are proven killers on game, that's why I use them.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: Jgraider] #7327988 10/26/18 05:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Lots of bullets work when everything is right, not all of them perform well when things are not perfect....heavier bone encountered, etc. I want bullets that work when things may not be perfect. Acvubonds,some of the BT"s, and partitions are proven killers on game, that's why I use them.

That’s my thinking in a nutshell. If I see an animal I want to take, I want to be able to kill that animal even if he only presents himself for a few seconds in just about any position - presuming I have a shot at his vitals.

I always end up SMH when folks start defending itty-bitty calibers and/or varmint bullets for game by saying “It’s all about shot placement.” or “I only take head/neck shots.” or “Just make sure he’s broadside and shoot him in the shoulder/heart.”

I guess nearly everyone but me can make the animals present whatever shot they need and can place their bullet perfectly every time. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7327997 10/26/18 05:55 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

That’s my thinking in a nutshell. If I see an animal I want to take, I want to be able to kill that animal even if he only presents himself for a few seconds in just about any position - presuming I have a shot at his vitals.

I always end up SMH when folks start defending itty-bitty calibers and/or varmint bullets for game by saying “It’s all about shot placement.” or “I only take head/neck shots.” or “Just make sure he’s broadside and shoot him in the shoulder/heart.”

I guess nearly everyone but me can make the animals present whatever shot they need and can place their bullet perfectly every time. smile

On that note I want a bullet that will reach the vitals from about any angle I might need to take the shot. I stopped an elk years ago wiht a Texas heart shot not shot choice but one that had been shot already is about to get into some nasty stuff where recovery will be very difficult put another in it. (that was one of the few critters I have shot with a Barnes bullet and that was in the days pre-triple shock) Granted there are times I will use lesser calibers and bullets but know their limitations. Like when culling some does and there was a 218 Bee and a 25-20 in the truck when we were ask to take a few on an MLD place. The worked and all we took were taken with one shot each.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: kmon11] #7328020 10/26/18 06:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

On that note I want a bullet that will reach the vitals from about any angle I might need to take the shot. I stopped an elk years ago wiht a Texas heart shot not shot choice but one that had been shot already is about to get into some nasty stuff where recovery will be very difficult put another in it. (that was one of the few critters I have shot with a Barnes bullet and that was in the days pre-triple shock) Granted there are times I will use lesser calibers and bullets but know their limitations. Like when culling some does and there was a 218 Bee and a 25-20 in the truck when we were ask to take a few on an MLD place. The worked and all we took were taken with one shot each.

That’s a good example. My mountain goat gave me one shot, was on the move, and would have stayed where I could see him a few seconds at most. That shot was straight down. That’s the way it can happen sometimes.

I don’t want to have to watch a once-in-a-lifetime animal walk out of my life or (heaven forbid) wound him because I didn’t have a bullet that would penetrate and get to vitals from any position.

Same applies to follow up shots. Despite our best efforts, the need arises for them sometimes.

I don’t count culling deer as a true example of a typical hunting situation. In the case of culling, there’s not a trophy animal at stake that simply must be taken or an entire hunt could be for naught. One can pick their shots without worry if it doesn’t present itself.

When hunting for keeps, I want every advantage on my side. So I err on the side of more power and more penetration every time. Not saying one needs a .338 and a Barnes TSX for deer, but I’d rather have a .270 with a cup-and-core or a NP than a .223 with any bullet or even a .270 with a varmint bullet if that 200 lb. buck of a lifetime walks out.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328103 10/26/18 07:45 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I use mostly Nosler bullets because I can get them directly from Shooters Pro Shop so cheap. Their Ballistic Tips are fantastic for moderate velocity cartridges based on the 308 case. This year, I've going old school and using Speer Hot Cors in my 338 Federal and some 110 grain spitzers in my 6.8 SPC.

I'm much more concerned about terminal performance than BC or a sexy bullet. I like a bullet that sheds about 1/3 of it's weight for a quicker kill but still has enough shank to penetrate deeply. I have no interest in Berger Bullets. I don't want a hunting bullet to be yaw dependent.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 10/26/18 07:46 PM.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328128 10/26/18 08:19 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
I agree with you Scott on the Bergers, I know a lot of people really like them but I have had not as good of luck with them myself but the only ones I have usd on game are the 6.5 140gr VLD hunting and they are very expansive from the 6.5-284 to the point of lack of penetration unless just a rib s hit. Now the 80gr 22 VLD Target bullets in the 22-243 worked well on the hogs I shot with them, thicker jacket though and just used them on hogs. When using the 22-243 on deer it is loaded with Swift Siroccos.

That shed 1/3 of weight but penetrate sounds like the design parameters of teh Partition

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328157 10/26/18 08:47 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Not sure what all the talk about bergers not passing through is about. I've never had one not pass through, I shot a boar last year at 400 yds in the shoulders and got a pass through with elite hunter 175gr out of a .284win. I shoot deer high frontal shoulder area and always get an exit. Maybe I'm not pushing them at the speeds others are, I'm pushing them at 2895-2905fps which is the top of the fast node for that cartridge, 54.8gr's of H4831.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: spg] #7328169 10/26/18 08:57 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: spg
Not sure what all the talk about bergers not passing through is about. I've never had one not pass through, I shot a boar last year at 400 yds in the shoulders and got a pass through with elite hunter 175gr out of a .284win. I shoot deer high frontal shoulder area and always get an exit. Maybe I'm not pushing them at the speeds others are, I'm pushing them at 2895-2905fps which is the top of the fast node for that cartridge, 54.8gr's of H4831.

All I can report is what I have seen. 140gr berger hit elk mussel no bone and did not make it into the chest cavity that one wa 200 yards and fragmented, luckly followed by a Nosler Accubond that did it's job. If I had just hit rib instead of tough meat along the leg for a heart shot then it probably would have been a lot different. That bullet was started at 2900fps. Hogs I have had some good kills and others hit in the shoulder as verified by an observer and some were found by buzzards a few days later hundreds of yards from where shot. I am going through the rest of the Bergers I bought for target rounds.

Heavier bullets for caliber like the 175gr or 180 gr 7mm or 200 and up in 30 cal seem to have enough SD to get the job done well. Then again like I said earlier the smaller the caliber the tougher bullet you need to reach deep.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328177 10/26/18 09:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Wouldn’t ever consider Berger bullets either. Probably more lost/wounded game from them than any other bullets.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: kmon11] #7328184 10/26/18 09:11 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Agree 100%......Barnes works well in small calibers but struggles to achieve precision accuracy. Barnes amazed me in .223, my two boys have stacked a lot of deer and pigs with a 62gr barnesTTSX out of .223. My older son has been shooting the ELDx 6.5CM and its a killer but doesn't pass through on shoulder shots which doesn't matter if its DRT. My middle son will be shooting .224valkyrie 73gr ELD this year, hoping it'll have a little quicker killing power than the .223

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328225 10/26/18 09:56 PM
C
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Very good posts!!! Everything discussed is what I find also. There are some rounds I shoot that I don't care what the BC is since I will be shooting it fairly close in. Others, I want a really tough bullet. The Berger VLD's I have seen have some NASTY exits, like softball to football size. When I hunted with my 260 Rem and 140 VLD-H bullets, I would always get a pass through on a deer. The other Berger bullets, liek the Elite Hunter and EOL bullets have shown to provide very good penetration. They are not as fragmentatious as the VLD's are. I do like the Elite Hunter bullets and EOL. The 7mm 195 grain EOL I think is one of the best bullets on the market for long range, high BC, and for hunting. I have had some good feed back on this bullet from some of the toughest animals.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328282 10/26/18 11:11 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For every rifle, I look for heavy for cartridge, and as much BC as I can get in a hunting bullet. Such as the Berger VLD-Hunting, and the Hornady ELD-X. However, many bullets labeled "target" do a fine job, such as the Hornady A-Max, and the fairly new Sierra Tipped Match King.

I am in the camp that BC is the ability to maintain velocity, and maintaining velocity delivers energy, as well as bucks the wind better. I've got a rifle beside me, many days a week, every week. I have some wide open spaces for hogs and coyotes, as well as frequent the big country west of I-35. Being able to hit animals farther, when needed, has been very helpful. Though all the bullets I load have also cleanly taken game less than 100 yards. For me, they work up close, as well as far away.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328284 10/26/18 11:14 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Great thread Chad! everyone on here knows I'm an "all day sucker" for whatever I see in a magazine, TV, read on forums. Ive got a drawer FULL of bullets.

This new CORE rifle, Im having trouble finding my "Pet" load for it. It shoots everything good but not GREAT. long story for another thread.

SO, I'm hunting with ELDM factory loads this year cuz i'm running out of time. They are the most accurate so far.

After deer season, I will continue load development .

I do like Scotts idea of going back to the dinasaurs, Speer, nolsler, sierra.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328419 10/27/18 01:28 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
There are some rounds I shoot that I don't care what the BC is since I will be shooting it fairly close in.

Me too. I have a CZ 550 6.5x55 Full Stock. I've killed 2 deer with it using 155 Lapua Megas which are just barely more aerodynamic than a round point. Inside of 200 yards, it doesn't matter. The bullet expands easily and penetrates like crazy.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 10/27/18 01:29 AM.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: kmon11] #7328425 10/27/18 01:42 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: kmon1

That shed 1/3 of weight but penetrate sounds like the design parameters of teh Partition

Yep, I still think that is perfect performance in a hunting bullet. Accubond & Partition are both designed to retain 2/3rds of their weight no matter how hard you push them. I find the Ballistic Tips also perform like that if you don't push them too fast. A lot of the old standards like the Hot Cor, GameKing, Power Shok & Interlock perform perfectly at moderate velocity.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328448 10/27/18 02:18 AM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My decesions usually fall into this order:
1. Cartridge potential capabilities for the game animal(s) targeted
2. Ability of the projectile to reach the vital organs from nearly any direction.
3. Do it accurately.
4. Do it with velocity.
5. Do it without ruining a lot of meat/hide

For most of my rifles it's the Accubond LR. 'Tougher' than the Balistic tips yet not as tough as the regular Accubond. I only use the Partition in one rifle as it was the only one that gave acceptable accuracy with that bullet. I shoot Sierra Game Kings in two rifles and a speer in two more rifles. The only one I shoot a Ballistic tip in is a 30-06 that doesn't even have a scope on it now. I did use them in my 7mm-08 though and with good results.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328530 10/27/18 04:24 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
1. Terminal Performance
2. Accuracy
3. Cost

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328602 10/27/18 12:24 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I will add that I do consider BC. I generally stay away from bullets with a bad BC for general hunting because they lose a lot of velocity quickly. I think a bullet .375 BC & above works pretty well at most hunting distances. Much below that, you have to push them really fast to make up for all the velocity they lose.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328632 10/27/18 01:06 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Does anyone consider SD? For me this is a key indicator for penetration. As in , a 140 grain bullet of .264 will out penetrate a 140g bullet of .284 given the same bullet design and velocity regardless of distance.

The best example I can think of is the .260 and 7-08. 140 grain is a common load in both.

Also for elk with a 225g the 338-06 vs the 35 Whelen.

This is why lite for caliber rounds do not appeal to me on medium to heavy game.

This is basics I know but we often forget beginners don’t know basics.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: wp75169] #7328636 10/27/18 01:20 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wp75169
Does anyone consider SD? For me this is a key indicator for penetration. As in , a 140 grain bullet of .264 will out penetrate a 140g bullet of .284 given the same bullet design and velocity regardless of distance.

The best example I can think of is the .260 and 7-08. 140 grain is a common load in both.

Also for elk with a 225g the 338-06 vs the 35 Whelen.

This is why lite for caliber rounds do not appeal to me on medium to heavy game.

This is basics I know but we often forget beginners don’t know basics.

.260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr and heavier.

7mm-08, 162 gr

.308, 165 gr and heavier

7 Rem Mag 180 gr.

.300 Win Mag, 210 gr

^^That's how I like them loaded.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328645 10/27/18 01:40 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don’t consider SD, I consider bullet weight and construction for penetration. SD was a measure for non expanding bullets. Once a bullet start expanding, the SD changes. Most hunting bullets open to .5”.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7328660 10/27/18 02:11 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I don’t consider SD, I consider bullet weight and construction for penetration. SD was a measure for non expanding bullets. Once a bullet start expanding, the SD changes. Most hunting bullets open to .5”.

I agree they expand. Now I’m curious but still hold my beliefs. Anyone want to load a 6.5 and 7mm apples to apples? I’ll spring for the ballistic gelitan if someone will do the load and chrony work. Same bullet same speed. I’m known for being wrong but I’m curious.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328691 10/27/18 03:03 PM
R
rvrrat14 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
As a reloader;

1. Performance; velocity, trajectory, known killing/stopping performance
2. Accuracy; self-explanatory; tight groups
3. AVAILABILITY - components are getting harder to find!

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7328758 10/27/18 04:41 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Price
Performance
Intended use.

I shoot a lot of my cast bullets in my LR10 for paper targets in three gun because they’re cheap. I use Gamekings in the same rifle for deer because they work.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7330710 10/29/18 07:14 PM
C
cliffy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
BC (target) and lethality (hunting). Something like ELD-X that does both is always better.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7331768 10/30/18 03:38 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
1. Accuracy
2. Terminal performance
3. Availability (am I going to be able to get it easily over a long period of time)
4. Repeatable performance (batch to batch over a period of time)
5. Cost, dead last. Annual lease is $2600.00, feed??? transportation???, RV, ATV.....ammo is nothing.

This is also the qualification process for me. Shoot it at the range, hunt with it, get low and need more, does it shoot the same as the last time I bought it.....

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7331773 10/30/18 03:40 PM
C
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
5. Cost, dead last. Annual lease is $2600.00, feed??? transportation???, RV, ATV.....ammo is nothing.

I agree. Yet I see almost daily shooters skimp on the most important part of the hunt.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7331814 10/30/18 04:06 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

I agree. Yet I see almost daily shooters skimp on the most important part of the hunt.

I'm paying about $1.80 per shot. It would be a whole lot easier to double my ammo budget than it would be any other part of the equation.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7333377 10/31/18 07:41 PM
M1John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
It depends on what the intended purpose is. I primarily use Berger Bullets for hunting and long range applications in .338, 6.5mm, and 30 cal. Their high BC and consistent groups keep me coming back. Expansion on both whitetail and mule deer is exceptional from 50 yards to 800 yards. Barnes TTSX is my go to for my 458 SOCOM. I have used Nosler 165gr Partitions in my 30-06 for years. Everything I have hit with them have been DRT. In my 220 Swift Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips have never failed me and they are devastating on Prairie Dogs and any range. I have been reloading for close to 30 years and I have used almost every manufacturers bullets. I look at what I am trying to accomplish and what I expect the bullet to do when it gets there. Based on that, I find what my gun likes best, at the velocity I am trying to achieve and work from there. In 2014 I hunted with a 6.5 Grendel and tagged a Mule Deer Buck at 50 yards and a Whitetail Doe at just over 350 yards using a Hornady 123 SST. Doth never took another step. 2015 I hunted with a 6.5 Creedmoor and took a Whitetail buck at 683 yards. This year I plan on using a 300 Win Mag with 180gr Burger Elite Hunters (~ 2900 fps). Have calculated ballistics and it will be good to 700 yards with energy around 950 f-lbs in the temperatures I will be hunting in. There is no magic bullet that can do everything so base it on the criteria and outcome you are looking for. Trust what you gun is telling you and find the sweet spot in the load weight and seating depth...and rock on.

John

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
NRA Instructor in Pistol, CCW, PPITH,
PPOTH, Shotgun, Rifle, Reloading, and a NRA
Chief Range Safety Officer
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7336337 11/03/18 10:51 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I pick my bullets factoring in volume of shooting to be done with them, price per unit, avialability and what their G7 bc is. So Im shooting either berger hybrid targers, eol/elite hunters or the hornady eld-x depending on the bolt action it will be going into.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7336835 11/03/18 11:27 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Terminal performance on target. Period. I want a bullet that holds together and blows through the animal with exceptional expansion and gnarly exit wounds that expel copious amounts of blood. And they need to do it regardless of range or speed.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7337306 11/04/18 06:28 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Some i picked because of the hype around the bullet, some for the price, and some just because I could. I load Hornady amax, bthp, sierra mk (257 wby), some sp, some hard cast, solids, and dangerous game expanding. Oh and some varmint bullets and hp. I've managed to get a kill with everyone of them so far.

Last edited by bo323; 11/04/18 06:29 PM.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7337366 11/04/18 07:58 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
1. BC
2a. accuracy
2b. cost

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7337505 11/04/18 11:34 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I ask myself....which one is going to aggravate JG? Then I go buy a BUNCH of them grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7337520 11/04/18 11:49 PM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Barrel twist capatability. Accuracy. Availability.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: Judd] #7337655 11/05/18 01:29 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Judd
I ask myself....which one is going to aggravate JG? Then I go buy a BUNCH of them grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7338043 11/05/18 02:03 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I don't choose. I let the marketing choose me.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7338044 11/05/18 02:03 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sectional Density.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7338089 11/05/18 02:31 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
1.) Accuracy
2.) Construction
3.) BC
4.) Cost

If a target bullet shoots very well, I use it,,,,if a hunting bullet shoots very well, I use it. Simple. Three shot group picture below from last shooting session where I picked a Nosler Ballistic Tip to hunt this season. It shows why I picked it. cheers

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7338214 11/05/18 04:04 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
What you shooting the ballistic Tip in Tack?

rofl @ JG meme

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: Judd] #7338266 11/05/18 04:39 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Judd
What you shooting the ballistic Tip in Tack?

.308 from GA Precision, shooting 168 Ballistic Tips

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7338947 11/06/18 01:08 AM
R
Railhead Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I have always believed a good BTSP was hard to beat. That’s about all I shoot from my ‘06, I tried to purchase the federal premiums or Hornady for my ammo choices. I will be trying the acubonds this year in 140g 7mm-08 and 110g in .257 Roberts.

Last edited by Railhead; 11/06/18 04:28 PM.
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7343814 11/09/18 10:10 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
For deer, I want a soft accurate bullet with at least .25 sectional density. If I need more penetration, up the weight and a little tougher bullet. I have had more trouble with too tough or too short a bullet too fast than a longish softer bullet.

Translation: Most people would take a regular ol' 130gr for a .270. Give me a soft 150gr. and a premium version if going after something tougher than a whitetail. 30/06? 165gr, not 150gr. Make it a Ballistic Tip for deer, but a Partition for tougher stuff.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7343900 11/10/18 12:10 AM
J
jmm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I typically choose the bullet based on the game I am after. I have done quite a bit of experimentation in Africa and West Texas. I am a 30-06 guy and use it for everything. For really big game such as giraffe, buffalo, eland, etc.... I have found that the 180 grain Swift A-frame works best. It is a very deep penetrating round with excellent weight retention and good expansion. For the gemsbok, wildebeest, kudu sized animals, the 180 grain Swift Scirocco has been the best performer. For deer sized game, I really like the 110 grain TTSX at 3500 fps. Lately, I have been using the 150 grain Scirocco for deer and elk. It is an amazing performer. It is hard to go wrong with the Nosler Ballistic Tip fpr deer. I have good results with Berger, Sierra GameKing, Speer Hot Cor for deer but not as good as the Swift. I have had mediocre results with the Winchester Power Points and Hornady Interlocks. By mediocre, I mean all of the deer died within 100 yards of the shot, but ran further than I want.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7348780 11/15/18 12:52 AM
B
bcwhit Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Well I have cut my teeth shooting Sierra,Speer and Nosler Haven't found a reason to change yet.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7377471 12/15/18 04:14 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Usually when evaluating a hunting rifle used for deer and hogs the bullets I reach for first are Sierra Gamekings or Sierra Pro-Hunters. For a .308 or .30-06 I really really like the 165 Gameking.

For the AR cartridges I have been working with lately (6mm-.223, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout) the lower velocities allow for some varmint bullets to perform like game bullets. I like the 85 Grain Sierra Varminter in the 6mm-.223, the 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter in the Grendel, and the 125 Sierra Pro-Hunter the .300 Blackout. In the .223 I do like a controlled expansion and/or heavy for caliber like the 60 Partition, the 64 Nosler BSB or the 65 Sierra Gameking.

As a general rule, I think the Sierras offer the best combination of accuracy and terminal performance.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7378770 12/17/18 02:34 AM
S
ScottA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Because I seldom shoot any load over 2800 FPS, I virtually always use a cup and core. For deer, I really like medium weight Sierras as they’re accurate and open up quick and violently- really putting a thumping on them. For hogs, I like heavier (and slower) Sierras or Hornady Interlocks. The Interlocks seems to be a little tougher than the Sierras and I like that for those thick-skinned porkers. Accubonds work well on hogs, too, but no better than the Imterlocks so I figure why spend the extra money.

If you want something done, tell a Texan its impossible
Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7378819 12/17/18 03:39 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Construction of bullet to match the game being hunted, BC according to the terrain, accuracy.

Re: Question- Why do you pick the bullet you shoot? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7384122 12/22/18 05:21 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Having used the 150 gr. flat nose bullets from a couple different 30-30 rifles BC is not necessarily why I buy certain bullets. I like accurate bullets that penetrate well. I am a Ballistic Tip fan and consider Partitions fine bullets. I have use the AMAX on game and find them a bit too willing to come apart though they seem to kill well. The SST is generally accurate and destructive but kills well and does often exit. I find the various Speer Hotcors excellent for much hunting. I often pick bullets just because I have a lot of them in my bullet collection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide