Print Thread
Gastric Bypass #7303544 10/02/18 08:43 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Anyone have any recipes for this procedure? My wife had it the 2nd this month. Thank you.

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7303565 10/02/18 09:00 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
no soda or carbonated beverages, don't over eat, anything she can do to stretch her stomach at this point is going to make the results less than good.

It is a mental game from here. Not sure how much they stressed this to her prior to surgery, but the whole idea is she HAS HAS HAS to cut back on the portions. I have seen several family and friends that did well because they were devoted to doing well and following the guidelines the doc gave. I have seen the opposite where they didn't follow the guidelines and the results were same weight just empty 10K.

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7304144 10/03/18 02:51 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
My BIL had it done a month ago. Amazing how fast he's shedding the weight. I'll try and share his progress as he moves through it.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7321681 10/21/18 04:26 PM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I worked in an office with a surgeon who did them.

Long term, it is what Texas buckeye said.

The lady who worked directly for the surgeon gave up (after leaving the practice) and is bigger than before her surgery.

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7321773 10/21/18 05:57 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Does it help to have say 5 small meals a day opposed to 3 small meals?

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7321799 10/21/18 06:19 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What procedure if I may ask. Your appetite should be shot. You likely won’t tolerate many foods well. Eat very small portions or you’ll find yourself throwing up a lot. Good luck. At this point, you should be losing a pound per day.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7321803 10/21/18 06:25 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Buddy of mine had it years ago, worked for a while, then he found out he could eat Cheetos, long story short, after 2 revisions and tearing up his esophagus, he's fatter than before!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7322951 10/22/18 04:24 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I had it done about 3 years ago... I was a type 2 diabetic and had gotten to the point insulin was no longer working. I opted for surgery over dialysis. I am now off all my medication. My diabetes is gone, my sleep apnea is gone, my high blood pressure is gone, my neuropathy is gone. My blood sugar is now in the normal range (below 100 as compared to 220+) I have lost 65 pounds and 10 inches around my waist. I am now at a healthy weight and NOT going back. I had a lot of bumps and bruises along the way but all in all - It is the best thing I ever did.

Lessons I learned the hard way...

1. It is a LIFESTYLE change. You can NEVER got back to your old diet.
2 The surgery only lasts 12-18 months. You either change or you went thru a a lot of pain for nothing.
3. You must go on the diet with her. if you don't you will severely undermine her chances of success. ELIMINATE EVERYTHING in the house not on her diet and don't ever buy it or eat it in front of her.
4. Slow and steady weight loss is the key. the first 20-30 pounds comes off quick then it slows down. This is a good
thing. Too much weight loss too fast will cause saggy skin and poor health AND go back on just as fast.
5. Your stomach is the size of a banana. Don't overeat, don't try and stretch your stomach. Eat no more than 1 cup at a time. This will keep you from throwing up. NEVER take that last couple of bites - just stop and eat it later.
6. Don't drink when you eat. This will force food thru your stomach and give you diarrhea. Wait an hour before and after meals. Take only a few sips of water if you have to. No more than 4 ounce with a meal.
7. Never let yourself get hungry. Eat at least six times a day. Drink lots between meals.
8. You MUST exercise. You will lose muscle mass and bone density if you don't. Walking is best - start slow. Light to moderate weights are good for keeping upper body strength.

More to come....

Last edited by JESmith; 10/22/18 04:34 PM.
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: JESmith] #7325314 10/24/18 02:38 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: JESmith
I had it done about 3 years ago... I was a type 2 diabetic and had gotten to the point insulin was no longer working. I opted for surgery over dialysis. I am now off all my medication. My diabetes is gone, my sleep apnea is gone, my high blood pressure is gone, my neuropathy is gone. My blood sugar is now in the normal range (below 100 as compared to 220+) I have lost 65 pounds and 10 inches around my waist. I am now at a healthy weight and NOT going back. I had a lot of bumps and bruises along the way but all in all - It is the best thing I ever did.

2 The surgery only lasts 12-18 months. You either change or you went thru a a lot of pain for nothing.
3. You must go on the diet with her. if you don't you will severely undermine her chances of success. ELIMINATE EVERYTHING in the house not on her diet and don't ever buy it or eat it in front of her.
4. Slow and steady weight loss is the key. the first 20-30 pounds comes off quick then it slows down. This is a good
thing. Too much weight loss too fast will cause saggy skin and poor health AND go back on just as fast.
5. Your stomach is the size of a banana. Don't overeat, don't try and stretch your stomach. Eat no more than 1 cup at a time. This will keep you from throwing up. NEVER take that last couple of bites - just stop and eat it later.
6. Don't drink when you eat. This will force food thru your stomach and give you diarrhea. Wait an hour before and after meals. Take only a few sips of water if you have to. No more than 4 ounce with a meal.
7. Never let yourself get hungry. Eat at least six times a day. Drink lots between meals.
8. You MUST exercise. You will lose muscle mass and bone density if you don't. Walking is best - start slow. Light to moderate weights are good for keeping upper body strength.

More to come....

TRUE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the gastric SLEEVE about 6 years ago. Lost 120lbs, SO GREAT.....On the list above, I did none of it, in February this year i weighed 311 lbs !!! I started to eat right and cut out sugar, walk my dog half mile every morning. i'm now at 256lbs.

The Shrink said I'm a chronic binge eater, its a disease just like nicotine or heroin., mine is sugar in any form. I'm NEVER going to be skinny but it is great to be my age, take my shirt off hit the pool everyday with friends, drink beer, get tan, get Melanoma, party down, music etc.

My 2 cents is to do ALL the above PLUS go to the monthly post op support meetings, the peer pressure helps stay on track

good luck!!!

These surgeries are NOT permanent !!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Wilhunt] #7325912 10/24/18 09:29 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Does it help to have say 5 small meals a day opposed to 3 small meals?
I eat 6 small meals. My favorite is dry oatmeal(made the day before).
.5 cup oats
4 tbsp. flax seed
1 container vanilla greek yogart
a splash of almond milk
cinnamon and sea salt to taste
1 scoop protein powder (vanilla)

I mix all this together in a 4 cup pryx bowel w/ a lid and chill over night.

She may need to start with just oats and protein.

I also eat a lot of deer chilli and eggs.

VERY important drink that H2O

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Buzzsaw] #7327136 10/25/18 08:47 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: JESmith

More to come....

TRUE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the gastric SLEEVE about 6 years ago. Lost 120lbs, SO GREAT.....On the list above, I did none of it, in February this year i weighed 311 lbs !!! I started to eat right and cut out sugar, walk my dog half mile every morning. i'm now at 256lbs.

The Shrink said I'm a chronic binge eater, its a disease just like nicotine or heroin., mine is sugar in any form. I'm NEVER going to be skinny but it is great to be my age, take my shirt off hit the pool everyday with friends, drink beer, get tan, get Melanoma, party down, music etc.

My 2 cents is to do ALL the above PLUS go to the monthly post op support meetings, the peer pressure helps stay on track

good luck!!!

These surgeries are NOT permanent !!

Buzz, I sincerely appreciate the real world no b.s. feedback. I've wondered about the surgery for years and will wonder no more. Either I get it done other ways or I'll just be fat.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7328111 10/26/18 07:53 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I had gastric sleeve 5 years ago, the first 3 years were easy, dropped 200lbs. It's all mental, the surgery did what it was supposed to do, help me lose a lot of weight, after that it is on me to maintain. Bypass is different because of the way it keeps your body from absorbing all nutrition not just fat. I had an excellent surgeon that was very big on educating his patients on all surgeries and what the future would hold.

The surgery itself is not a miracle cure, her success or failure will completely depend on her ability to eat healthy and control her portions. Not eating properly on bypass can have serious consequences, not just gaining the weight back. I'd highly suggest encouraging her to schedule appointments with a nutritionist to make sure she is staying on track. A very close friend's mother had bypass 15 years ago, and she eats a very strict diet, she's maintained her weight loss. She's extremely regimented in her eating and if she eats anything not on her diet it is typically a bite or two.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Cool Mo D] #7328298 10/26/18 11:23 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I’m no doctor, but I would bet that most could get the same results by saving their surgery money and just following the diet protocol.

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Ramball36] #7364040 12/02/18 12:09 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Ramball36
I’m no doctor, but I would bet that most could get the same results by saving their surgery money and just following the diet protocol.

this really true
MOST fat people are fat cuz they LOVE, CRAVE food, bad foods. Allot of it is genes, most of it is addiction. The weight will come back on 90% of the time after ANY major weight loss. if you cant fight addiction cutting your guts out

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gastric Bypass [Re: Buzzsaw] #7364380 12/02/18 02:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by Ramball36

this really true
MOST fat people are fat cuz they LOVE, CRAVE food, bad foods. Allot of it is genes, most of it is addiction. The weight will come back on 90% of the time after ANY major weight loss. if you cant fight addiction cutting your guts out

Bingo. Eat like a bird and crap like a horse.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide