Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question #7313414 10/13/18 09:45 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Okay, so how do y'all get through, over fences? I have tried a variety of means to squeeze my plus size self between the wires without getting snagged, to go under, and to go over. I have tried a t-post climber which nearly killed me (not all t-posts are well anchored). I have tried climbing the wire at a t-post only to have the wire slip and nearly get impaled. I have finally gone with some collapsible step stools from Amazon that work real well. They are fairly light, quiet, and make it possible for me to step over most barbed wire fences despite a short inseam. So do y'all have other ways you have found useful to get over/under/through the wire, particularly by yourselves?

Ended up with a small boar and smaller female from a saturated field. Man, I hate slogging through wet field where each step splashes and or squishes. Dragging the hogs out was even worse, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7313435 10/13/18 10:01 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Depends on how tight or loose the fence is....tight fence cross close to a wood post....loose, go between the wires between two posts....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7313774 10/14/18 07:56 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
DNS Looks like you solved the problem. I would think the land owners you hunt for would not appreciate the fence climbing. I know for me on our farm I get on to folks for climbing on the fence (I know who has to fix it}. Like you mentioned too the T-Post are not created equal and some look solid. We have some that look solid, but are over 35 yrs old and brittle. They will snap when pushed very far. As far as climbing where it is wood post the staples can be 3/4" or 1 1/4" with a lot of difference on grip (smooth or gripper).

Still good videos and keep it up. I haven't seen any sign for about a month on the hogs. As soon as the acorns started falling they left my pigpipes alone. Even with the oaks on our farm I haven't seen pics in 2-3 weeks. They did the same thing last year about this time. confused2

Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7313920 10/14/18 02:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
pigplinker, I don't know that I have solved the problem, but have come up with a viable solution that will work for entering properties from the road when you don't have gate access. Still, I would like to come up with something quicker. I figure I am not the only middle-aged overweight guy who has faced this problem and so was hopeful that others come up with their own solutions.

You are right, climbing is not a good option for the fences. It turns out not to be a great option for me given the torn, patched and retorn and repatched pants and punctures I have gotten, LOL.

Your pigs will be back, no doubt.

Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7314637 10/15/18 04:08 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
DNS, if it's one of the regular spots on your rounds, you might drag out a couple of cinder blocks, one on each side of the fence, near a t-post. That'll get ya a bit more clearance on the inseam. I even stuck an old tennis ball on top of the t-post so I could swing across without gloves.

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7315003 10/15/18 03:51 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Dennis, great comment. Cinder blocks might be a good idea if they can be hidden in taller grass, but I see where you are going with that and I have a place that I do cross regularly like that.

When I tried a t-post climber, I used a tennis ball for that exact purpose. The t-post climber was a FAIL.

https://www.huntsmart.com/p/t-post-stepp...mmaal9lealw_wcb

Not all t-post are equal and not all are as stable in the ground. To use this, it helped if you were very agile, quick, and underweight. Then the post needed to be well made and solidly stable in the ground. Tops of t-posts often have sharp edges as a result of being pounded in the ground. So the tennis ball was added for reasons you can understand. However, the first time the device slipped while on a post was the last time I used it. Nearly getting impaled by the post was disconcerting!

Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7325555 10/24/18 05:10 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
In my old age I have cut sticks 4 feet long with a branch sticking out near one end. I raise the wire in the middle and prop the stick up, makes a bit more room and I often leave the sticks at various fence crossings.Two makes it easy to get through.

Re: Couple Hogs Down in Soggy Conditions, Busted Hunt, & Question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7325606 10/24/18 05:41 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
On our place, where we cross regularly, we have a crossing similar to this...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide