Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame #7321589 10/21/18 02:42 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Howdy!

I am interested in getting into extended (7-10 day) DIY backcountry backpack hunting on public lands with emphasis on elk and mule deer. The problem is that I am completely ignorant as far as how to hunt each species as well as various states' license, tag, and drawing systems, and lack the necessary gear. I am also on a pretty tight budget and expect that to be the case over the next several years. My plan is to use the next two years to save money, research, plan, and gear up for a OTC Colorado elk hunt in 2020. I basically only have the rifle and am looking to get a: pack, tarp tent (like DD tarp), sleeping bag and pad, optics (rifle scope and binos or spotting scope), and appropriate clothing.

Considering those details, I was curious if anyone has used the Alps Outdoorz Commander pack and frame, especially for backcountry backpack hunts and what is your opinion of it? Pros, cons and why? Thanks.

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7321894 10/21/18 08:18 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If I was you I would be contacting guide services and talk to them. They do this kind of hunting all the time.

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7321934 10/21/18 08:51 PM
H
Hammer2045 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Hello HankTheTank, I currently own this very pack, however, I haven't had the chance to really put it through the paces. I will have more information after this years hunting season. I have a few 5 and 7 day hunting trips planned this year. I did take this pack on a 2 day camping trip and I was impressed with how much stuff this thing can hold. The only thing that I was bummed about on this pack was the padded optics pouch. My Nikon spotting scope will not fit in the padded side pocket. I know that doesn't give you much info at the moment but I will send you some more information after my first couple of hunting trips!

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7322027 10/21/18 10:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: HankTheTank
Howdy!

I am interested in getting into extended (7-10 day) DIY backcountry backpack hunting on public lands with emphasis on elk and mule deer. The problem is that I am completely ignorant as far as how to hunt each species as well as various states' license, tag, and drawing systems, and lack the necessary gear. I am also on a pretty tight budget and expect that to be the case over the next several years. My plan is to use the next two years to save money, research, plan, and gear up for a OTC Colorado elk hunt in 2020. I basically only have the rifle and am looking to get a: pack, tarp tent (like DD tarp), sleeping bag and pad, optics (rifle scope and binos or spotting scope), and appropriate clothing.

Considering those details, I was curious if anyone has used the Alps Outdoorz Commander pack and frame, especially for backcountry backpack hunts and what is your opinion of it? Pros, cons and why? Thanks.

It’s a good price point pack from everyone I’ve talked to about it. It’s your typical external frame pack. It will get the job done for sure.

Cons-bulky, heavy and limited modularity
Pro- price, works, big bag

Other options is look for a used exo or kifaru. Also Mystery ranch has some pretty good sales if you pay attention. Biggest difference in a high end pack vs budget is weight carrying comfort and modularity.

If you find a used EXO or Kifaru for $300 bucks at the end of your trip it will still be worth $300

For tarps look at seekout side and Kifaru(I’d look for a used mega with annex)
For budget but really good sleeping bag- look at Mountain hardware Lamina series. Good synthetic bag
Pad I use is sea to summit comfort plus(I like dual layered chambers- one hole doesn’t leave you high and dry)

My list is always evolving and changing but core is always the same tent, pack, sleeping bag.

Feel free to PM, I’m fortunate and get to hunt 2-3 western hunts a year, most DIY backcountry.

The whole tag game is simple I’d put in for NM and use CO as a back up unless you want to hold both tags on a hunt then I’d go CO or Idaho

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7322651 10/22/18 01:15 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks all for the info.

Considering the type and style of hunt I described, (in my ignorance and lack of experience) I can't help but think an external frame pack has an edge over internal frame packs as far as packing the necessary gear several miles in and large game out. Is that accurate, a matter of opinion, depend on the pack(s)?

Hammer, good luck on your hunts. I look forward to any updates you may have later.

BOBO,
I'll definitely look into your recommendations. At the moment I'm not too concerned with weight, but figure that will change over time with age, experience, and a more relaxed budget to acquire better quality gear.

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7322788 10/22/18 02:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thanks all for the info.

Considering the type and style of hunt I described, (in my ignorance and lack of experience) I can't help but think an external frame pack has an edge over internal frame packs as far as packing the necessary gear several miles in and large game out. Is that accurate, a matter of opinion, depend on the pack(s)?

Hammer, good luck on your hunts. I look forward to any updates you may have later.

BOBO,
I'll definitely look into your recommendations. At the moment I'm not too concerned with weight, but figure that will change over time with age, experience, and a more relaxed budget to acquire better quality gear.

External vs Internal

Alps makes both.

With that said all brands of internal and external are not created equal. Quality and adjustability differ

Your higher end Internal frames are a system that’s modular, torso adjustable and tend to transfer weight to hips better. With that said there are some outstanding external packs also like barneys, I used my dad’s old boys out pack for 10 years.

Biggest difference is weight, adjustability and footprint. External Frame tend to be wider, they are also very comfortable with weight but not as comfortable under 50lbs as an internal frame like Kifaru, Exo, SG etc

Things you need to pay attention to when buying a pack. Functional load lifters(ability to pull weight back into your body) adjustable torso, bag that fits all your junk, comfortable with 40-50lbs. You don’t want the weight on your shoulders you want the weight on your hips.

When trying on packs with weight- use this to help on the fitting

This instragram famous model- demonstrates Perfect pack fit, you can fit two fingers under shoulder strap on the top of the shoulder. Weight is focused on the hips. Load lifters are functional with leverage pulling weight back in to back -

Not best pic but that’s me packing out an 80lb doe whole Saturday, I have the weight on my shoulders and only one load lifters being functional. I then adjusted it(80 % on my hips 20% on shoulders ), and hiked out to truck.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7325581 10/24/18 05:27 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
EXO mountain Gear just announced a new frame upgrade, there will be a lot of guys sell old and buy new.

Watch the classified and I bet you find a good deal on used pack

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7325657 10/24/18 06:15 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Checked out rockslide BTW...I feel like there's such a huge learning curve for me to get from where I am to where I want to be as a hunter and outdoorsman. I'm 34 and can't help but feel a bit disappointed in myself for being so far behind. I'm trying to look at it as a lot of opportunity to include my kids in the learning process so they aren't in this position when they're older.

Re: Alps Outdoorz Commander Pack and Frame [Re: HankTheTank] #7325764 10/24/18 07:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Checked out rockslide BTW...I feel like there's such a huge learning curve for me to get from where I am to where I want to be as a hunter and outdoorsman. I'm 34 and can't help but feel a bit disappointed in myself for being so far behind. I'm trying to look at it as a lot of opportunity to include my kids in the learning process so they aren't in this position when they're older.

Really isn’t. Don’t over think it. Don’t stress over it... just go with a humble mindset and enjoy the country and experience.

We almost exterminated every big game species in NA with cotton and blk powder. The best gear in the world won’t buy you an elk, it just makes you more comfortable.

That forum is a great forum for comparisons, and product reviews but remember the worst gear today is still 10x better then best 15 years ago.

Tag first, gear second, expansion third.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide