Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kuiu or Sitka? #7319829 10/19/18 05:11 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I am going on a black bear hunt in SE Alaska next September and am looking for some new hunting clothes. I have plenty of Redhead goretex and Under Armour stuff for Texas hunting but need more rain protection since it will be wet in SE Alaska in Sep. I know that Kuiu and Sitka are both quality gear but can’t really decide between the two.

Also all of my current camo is Realtree and is kind of hard for an “old timer” to change to one of these new camos. What do you all recommend. Thanks for the info.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7319899 10/19/18 06:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Stand, canoe or spot and stalk roads?

Honestly either or.

Chuggach and cloudburst are thier lighter lines. Yukon and stormfront are thier hardcore everyday guide wear type line.

just ask outfitter thier opinion, even if they are on guide staff programs most are still very open and will atleast let you need if you need lighter line or pro lines

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7319965 10/19/18 07:28 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Will be hiking up salmon streams.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7320411 10/20/18 02:40 AM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Like BOBO said, either or and you won’t go wrong. I own more Sitka gear than I care to admit to. I also have a couple of shirts from Kuiu and really like them also.

For rain gear you need to decide if you want something ultralight and packable or something you can spend the whole day in and are not really worried about what it weighs or how much room it takes up in your pack.
I have the Sitka Dewpoint for my rain jacket and pants because I’m more concerned about their weight and volume in my pack. I have had to pull them out of the pack a few times when I let the weather sneak in on me. They work great but if I expected to spend the majority of the time wearing the rain gear instead of carrying it I would probably choose a heavier option.

Also don’t forget about a good pair of gaiters. They are great for helping to keep your socks and the inside of your boots dry. Cold, wet feet can make for a miserable day hiking around the mountains.

You will probably save money going with Kuiu over the Sitka and have a hard time noticing the difference between the two. SItka and Kuiu are what most consider to be top of the line hunting clothing and I can say I have not never been disappointed with any of the Sitka gear I’ve bought

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7320772 10/20/18 04:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
Will be hiking up salmon streams.

Chuggach or Cloudburst

I personally like solid colors, going to spend that much should be able to wear in public

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7322991 10/22/18 04:57 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
We will be hiking and hunting salmon streams so the guide says that breathable chest waders are a must as some of the water will be higher than hip boots. He said I would need a good rain type jacket with a hood. We will be in SE Alaska on KUIU Island mainly or possible Kupreanof island. They are just north of Prince of Whales and it is the rainy season too.

Any other recommendations.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7323234 10/22/18 07:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
We will be hiking and hunting salmon streams so the guide says that breathable chest waders are a must as some of the water will be higher than hip boots. He said I would need a good rain type jacket with a hood. We will be in SE Alaska on KUIU Island mainly or possible Kupreanof island. They are just north of Prince of Whales and it is the rainy season too.

Any other recommendations.

Sitka kodiak

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7323244 10/22/18 07:53 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7323256 10/22/18 07:57 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Love my Sitka worked stupid good this year in Alaska. I have some of both but I believe the rain gear I went with was Jetstream? It was cheaper than the cloudburst but worked awesomely, raw weight was a little more. I cant recommend enough get tundra hippies and choata boots!

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #7323409 10/22/18 09:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
Love my Sitka worked stupid good this year in Alaska. I have some of both but I believe the rain gear I went with was Jetstream? It was cheaper than the cloudburst but worked awesomely, raw weight was a little more. I cant recommend enough get tundra hippies and choata boots!

I think jet stream is a soft shell with windstopper liner making pretty much water proof for a while. The out fabric will suck water once DWR expires.

You may have dewpoint

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7323476 10/22/18 10:08 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I just checked my orders it was the cloudburst set pants and jacket that I have and best rain gear I have owned for sure.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #7323501 10/22/18 10:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
I just checked my orders it was the cloudburst set pants and jacket that I have and best rain gear I have owned for sure.

Ah Good rain gear

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7324066 10/23/18 01:26 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
For western hunts with a chance of rain or snow I have used the Poseidon set by Kryptek with good results. It won't be as functional for AK because the top is quarter zip so it isn't as convenient. Sitka or Kuiu are both good choices. The benefit to Sitka is you can go somewhere and try it on. Not gonna happen with Kuiu unless you know someone with some in your size.

I love my kuiu gear but I will say that make sure you check and read up on sizing- I'm 6'1, 190lbs and I wear an XL or XXL in their tops and jackets depending on the piece. So if you order some, do it early, try it on and be prepared to return it within the 30 day window.

As far as updating to a new camo-- The more I hunt the more I feel like camo is overrated... except maybe turkey season and treestand whitetail hunting. I would focus more on finding good quality gear that will perform for you. The fabric and the quality of construction is really the biggest difference you will be paying for.

I think the two lines from First Lite- Fusion and Cipher are both pretty top notch. I like the newer Sitka that has more green I just don't like their clothing or their prices! And I've found the Kuiu Vias / Verde both work fine too.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: duckhunter175] #7324160 10/23/18 02:55 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks for all the info. I will check them out thoroughly. Right now leaning towards Sitka gear.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7324473 10/23/18 08:29 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Sitka and Kuiu were started by the same person. He lost Sitka because he couldn't pay his debt to Gore, so they basically bought it out.

Sitka has Gortex materials- way more stringent on quality and process than any clothing on earth. Also tougher.

Aftet losing Sitka, Jason Hairston started Kuiu using basically the same materials, but not 100%. Gortex holds several patents (mostly on how you do seems) that Kuiu can't use.

Long story short, Sitka has superior materials and seems.

If on a tough climbing hunt through lots of brush/willows/etc. I would spend the money on Sitka.

If just going up and down a mountain and not through brush, Kuiu is a better value.

If sitting in treestands, regular walmart clothing is just fine (maybe splurge on some rain wear).

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Pittstate] #7327915 10/26/18 04:21 PM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I like Kuiu too, but pretty much decided on Sitka now since I think it is made better. Thanks for all the info.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7328113 10/26/18 07:55 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I own more than I care to count from both Sitka and Kuiu. I started with Sitka about 5 yrs ago and just this year got into Kuiu. There are pros and cons to each line. Way too much to regurgitate here. To address your answer specifically. I have Sitka's Dewpoint jacket/pant and Kuiu's Chugach jacket/pant. These are honestly not really comparable to each other as the Dewpoint is Sitkas super light weight option and the Chugach is Kuiu's middle weight option.

Sitka's Dewpoint (13.58 oz) is their super lightweight rain gear. It's great if you are carrying it in your pack and will be walking a lot, but in open spaces, not in brush. It's too thin to be worn bushwacking through dark timber, alders or any other thick cover. I think it would get shredded fairly quickly. If I am not mistaken it is only a single, maybe dual layer or Gore. I do like the Dewpoint system. It serves it's purpose but is not something I would consider for Alaska unless I was sheep hunting above timber line and not expecting monsoon rains. Sitka's Cloudburst (20.8 oz) would be a better option in my opinion. It is a triple layer of Gore and therefore more durable, but that also comes with added weight (but only a mere 7 ounces, lol). The Cloudburst is more comparable to Kuis's Chugach. Sitka also has the Stormfront (24 oz) which is just a Goretex Shell) and the Coldfront (34.4 oz) which is a micro-fleeced lined Goretex shell. I own the Coldfront as well and have found it worthless for anything other than glassing. It is simply to hot to hike in, but it will keep you warm and dry.

Kuiu's Chugach (18.9 oz) is their middle weight rain gear and as stated above is similar to Sitka's Cloudburst (with the newly released Northridge (13.6 oz) being Kuiu's light weight system and the Yukon (29.2 oz) being their heavy weight system). The Chugach, in my opinion, provides best of both worlds. It's light enough to put in a stuff sack and carry in your backpack but durable enough to hike through willows/alders/forested areas without much concern for tearing. I wouldn't think of doing so in the Northridge however as it's a lighter material and therefore less durable. I also ordered the Yukon at the same time I ordered the Chugach. As, I also am headed to Alaska next year for moose and black bear and so was looking for the perfect balance in a rain gear system. The Yukon was too much. The fabric is thicker thus more durable, but there was no way I wanted to be hiking around in it. Nor would it be something that would be easily packed into my backpack. The fabric felt stiff much like the fabric on Sitkas Coldfront. Something better suited for glassing or prolonged sits in torrential rains. The Chugach is extremely quiet while on. I hiked 8 miles in it just this week elk hunting and not once did I sweat in it or felt like every animal in a 5 mile radius could hear me coming. Its a great rain gear system and the one I am taking to Alaska.

Honestly, if I were you, order 1-2 jackets from Kuiu and 1-2 jackets from Sitka. Wear them around the house. Simulate wearing them over layers, with a pack on etc. Then go with what you like the best and feels the best and send the others back. They are both great companies, with comparable build construction and quality. Just because Gore has a patent that allows only them to sew or tape a seam a certain way doesn't mean that's the only way it can successfully be done. Just look at all of the Mountaineering/Backpacking/Climbing gear companies out there today. Not everyone uses Gore and Gore does have it's own flaws which are well documented. Just go with what you like and fits your budget. I own both and like both. I am taking the Kuiu Chugach with me because its a middle weight option and more durable than the super light weight Sitka Dewpoint that I own. I guess the best comparison would be the Cloudburst to the Chugach. Maybe just order 1 of each and see what you think. The little details about each (fit, pocket placement, drawstrings, etc..) will be what helps you decide. Best of luck to you.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Theringworm] #7329341 10/28/18 05:33 AM
Lone Ranger Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Great info. Thanks for sharing. I will thoroughly check them all out.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Pittstate] #7406978 01/17/19 11:32 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Pittstate
Sitka and Kuiu were started by the same person. He lost Sitka because he couldn't pay his debt to Gore, so they basically bought it out.

Sitka has Gortex materials- way more stringent on quality and process than any clothing on earth. Also tougher.

Aftet losing Sitka, Jason Hairston started Kuiu using basically the same materials, but not 100%. Gortex holds several patents (mostly on how you do seems) that Kuiu can't use.

If on a tough climbing hunt through lots of brush/willows/etc. I would spend the money on Sitka.

If just going up and down a mountain and not through brush, Kuiu is a better value.

If sitting in treestands, regular walmart clothing is just fine (maybe splurge on some rain wear).

He was not in debt with gore at all.
He sold sitka to gore for millions and started kuiu after that.
He thought sitka was too heavy and did not want to do retail, just internet.

He was unhappy in his married life and was a depressed man. He also was heavy on the bottle just like his wife.
His wife was and still is a gold digger.
She is still showing off her parties, bottles of champagne all over instagram partying at nikki beach soon after her husband death. She is a real bad person. I cant believe he picked her. It was so obvious from the start...

https://www.instagram.com/kirstynhairston/?hl=en

Last edited by beaversnipe; 01/17/19 11:37 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7407037 01/17/19 01:25 PM
C
CB09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I used both this year while deer hunting and you really can't go wrong with either brand. I mainly used Kuiu as my base layers and Sitka as my outer layer and was very impress by both and will continue to buy both. For Kuiu i really like the merino base layer short sleeve and the 145 zip tee as they are very light and keep you warm. I went with the Sitka whitetail vegetated terrain outer layer and they were very warm and no bulky at all which was awesome. The only think i wish i would have done is gone with the Big Game Optifade Cloudbust line since it has some Gore Tex in it for all the rain we had this year. For deer hunting i would say the Sitka keep you a little warmer while sitting but the layering of Kuiu is great while walking so just depends on what style of hunting you are doing. If i was in AK like you stated above i would probably go Kuiu.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: beaversnipe] #7407143 01/17/19 03:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by beaversnipe

He was not in debt with gore at all.
He sold sitka to gore for millions and started kuiu after that.
He thought sitka was too heavy and did not want to do retail, just internet.

He was unhappy in his married life and was a depressed man. He also was heavy on the bottle just like his wife.
His wife was and still is a gold digger.
She is still showing off her parties, bottles of champagne all over instagram partying at nikki beach soon after her husband death. She is a real bad person. I cant believe he picked her. It was so obvious from the start...

https://www.instagram.com/kirstynhairston/?hl=en

Umm that’s pretty low even for a your standards. I highly doubt you ever met Jason or his wife. He wasn’t majority share holder in Sitka. Hart was, Hart sold to Gore against Jason’s wishes.... then Jason was eventually pushed out.

The man died due to documented brain injuries. Don’t piss on his grave by pissing on his wife...you werent even a leaving in a American when they got married.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7407176 01/17/19 04:15 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I am not here to pee on anyone's grave or talk about anyone's family. However, I was the Planning and Inventory Manager at Cabela's corporate office for all Hunting Apparel. I worked first hand with Sitka and Gore. Met with them at least monthly and usually weekly during the peak season. No one bought a single item of clothing from them without my blessing. I also had several conversations/meetings with Jason over those years. Many of the conversations were confidential and I can not talk about.

I know for a fact that Sitka borrowed money from Gore to fund their company. At the end, it was either go bankrupt or sell/give the company to Gore. I will be honest and tell you I don't know exactly how much the stakeholders of Sitka got from Gore, but I do know it wasn't very much. Actually, I know a lot more than I am telling you guys.

Anyone that thinks Kuiu is superior to Sitka, don't know fabrics and clothing. Gore (Sitka and Gortex) owns more patents on putting clothing together than any other outdoor brand.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7407187 01/17/19 04:29 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Really bad Juju to speak ill of the dead (especially publically). Loving a certain woman has brought many a good man down, King Solomon for instance. (Of course, in his case it was 700, plus or minus a few hundred concubines. )

Great info on gear though.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Pittstate] #7407196 01/17/19 04:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I am not here to pee on anyone's grave or talk about anyone's family. However, I was the Planning and Inventory Manager at Cabela's corporate office for all Hunting Apparel. I worked first hand with Sitka and Gore. Met with them at least monthly and usually weekly during the peak season. No one bought a single item of clothing from them without my blessing. I also had several conversations/meetings with Jason over those years. Many of the conversations were confidential and I can not talk about.

I know for a fact that Sitka borrowed money from Gore to fund their company. At the end, it was either go bankrupt or sell/give the company to Gore. I will be honest and tell you I don't know exactly how much the stakeholders of Sitka got from Gore, but I do know it wasn't very much. Actually, I know a lot more than I am telling you guys.

Anyone that thinks Kuiu is superior to Sitka, don't know fabrics and clothing. Gore (Sitka and Gortex) owns more patents on putting clothing together than any other outdoor brand.

That’s a completely different conversation then what euro troll started.

10 years ago Gore had the market on technology, since the federal investigation Gore’s market share is getting crushed since they can no longer pull same repression they did before. Not to mention bigger companies are buying out the emerging technology and Gore cant push them around.

I have no doubt Sitka was in deep w/Gore... use to if you use Gore technology, you use thier Manufacturing, also look at market when they sold. Another Elite Archery

I Think each company has pieces that are market leaders, end of the day a more competitive market Is a plus for consumers.

On another note watching bass pro buyers destroy cabelas is sad.

Re: Kuiu or Sitka? [Re: Lone Ranger] #7407371 01/17/19 09:23 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I left Cabelas as soon as I got word from a buddy in New York that Jim and Mary were wanting to unload their shares. Bass Pro is going to put a hurtin on Gore (Gortex) because they refuse to pay the high prices for their fabrics.

Of course Bass Pro's strategy of only using in house camo patterns is going to be their downfall. True Timber and Cab house brands just didn't sell near as well as Realtree when I was there.

Last thing. Sitka was less than 5% of sales for Cabelas hunting apparel department. Think about that. There is not much money into those mountain gear brands/patterns and a ton of competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide