Forums46
Topics537,961
Posts9,731,139
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7318282 10/18/18 03:21 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Always. Usually in .45ACP.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7318729 10/18/18 05:23 PM
T
TWarren Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Never have even felt the urge to carry and I hunt a lot where black bears and mountain lions roam. Seemed like a waste of energy carrying even more weight around.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: snake oil] #7318742 10/18/18 05:41 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: snake oil
No. If I'm bow hunting I carry a .223 Contender 16" barreled rifle to the stand for hogs.

Hopefully not during archery season.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: TWarren] #7318829 10/18/18 06:54 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I don’t have a need in West Texas. I’ve been around plenty of people that have. I just want to tell them, “PLEASE stop taking your pistol out, showing it off, telling your what-if scenarios, and pulling that thing out every time we come across a snake!” I guess you never know when the boogey man will get you; have that pistol ready boys!

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: MarkE] #7319042 10/18/18 10:33 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: MarkE
I don’t have a need in West Texas. I’ve been around plenty of people that have. I just want to tell them, “PLEASE stop taking your pistol out, showing it off, telling your what-if scenarios, and pulling that thing out every time we come across a snake!” I guess you never know when the boogey man will get you; have that pistol ready boys!

It sounds like pistols offend you.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: fouzman] #7319665 10/19/18 02:41 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: snake oil
No. If I'm bow hunting I carry a .223 Contender 16" barreled rifle to the stand for hogs.

Hopefully not during archery season.
Why not?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319677 10/19/18 02:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Is it legal to carry a rifle to your stand in bow season?

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: fouzman] #7319714 10/19/18 03:06 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, you haven't committed an offense unless you take a game animal by unlawful means.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: skinnerback] #7319719 10/19/18 03:15 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

It sounds like pistols offend you.

Pistols don’t offend me but I know what he means. I know you have a sidearm, you don’t have to pull it 10 times a day and show everybody. I don’t trust people enough especially with firearms.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319733 10/19/18 03:33 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
i do most of the time, no reason not to.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7319743 10/19/18 03:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Yes, you haven't committed an offense unless you take a game animal by unlawful means.

Thank you, I had to go way back in the Hunting Annual. Prior to 2014, it was illegal to carry a firearm while hunting in archery only season, other than a handgun by a licensed CHL hunter. That did change and it is now lawful to carry a firearm (unless a convicted felon) during archery only season. Just illegal to kill a deer or turkey with the firearm.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319752 10/19/18 03:43 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I always will now. I have needed a pistol twice, and both times didn't have one. We have had some issues with trespassers on our place, and I won't be out on the property without a pistol now. I carry my Glock 20 in 10mm almost all the time out there. On occasion I'll still have my IWB 40 cal on me.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: fouzman] #7319753 10/19/18 03:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Thank you, I had to go way back in the Hunting Annual. Prior to 2014, it was illegal to carry a firearm while hunting in archery only season, other than a handgun by a licensed CHL hunter. That did change and it is now lawful to carry a firearm (unless a convicted felon) during archery only season. Just illegal to kill a deer or turkey with the firearm.
Hard to have a law against something that a person "could" or "may" do. Kinda' like hunting at night with a light, during deer season, on your deer lease out of your stand over your feeder. Not against the law, but ask my Dad and he'll tell you it is, just because he thinks it should be. No disrespect Dad.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: MarkE] #7319764 10/19/18 03:56 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I don't know what kind of people you hang around/associate with but that is not normal behavior and I've never seen anyone do that. I've only seen respectful and responsible hunters, like myself, carrying a pistol. I've never once seen someone un-holster it and start showing it off. You should probably find different hunters to associate with. If I'm anywhere in the world and my pistol leaves its holster, something is about to die - that's the only reason to be pulling a pistol out (obviously target practice is the exception to that rule). Nor do I know anyone who shoots every damn snake they see - why in the hell would you want to scare off larger game for a snake unless that snake was an imminent danger to you. If you are around people who are just killing everything they come across, you should probably not be around those people - they have serious issues.

Last edited by Binary; 10/19/18 03:58 PM.
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7319776 10/19/18 04:06 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Hard to have a law against something that a person "could" or "may" do. Kinda' like hunting at night with a light, during deer season, on your deer lease out of your stand over your feeder. Not against the law, but ask my Dad and he'll tell you it is, just because he thinks it should be. No disrespect Dad.

Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache.

Ok, I found it, but the wording has changed...

Sec. 62.005. HUNTING WITH LIGHT. Except as provided by Section 62.0055 or 62.0056, no person may hunt a game animal or bird protected by this code with the aid of an artificial light that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates the game animal or bird, including the headlights of a motor vehicle.

Last edited by fouzman; 10/19/18 04:09 PM.
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319790 10/19/18 04:21 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
"Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache."

I'd have call BS on this. No offense committed. I'd offer him a beer and a seat at the campfire, and let him have a look around. I doubt the law was ever as originally stated, sounds ridiculous. If this were ever in effect, most people that ever varmint hunted during deer season would be guilty of an offense just for shining a light.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7319804 10/19/18 04:40 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
"Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache."

I'd have call BS on this. No offense committed. I'd offer him a beer and a seat at the campfire, and let him have a look around. I doubt the law was ever as originally stated, sounds ridiculous. If this were ever in effect, most people that ever varmint hunted during deer season would be guilty of an offense just for shining a light.

It's not against the law to spotlight non game animals during deer season, regardless of where you are on the ranch. Just give the warden a courtesy call and let him know what you're doing so he doesn't come out for a BS call in the middle of the night, thinking you're after deer. Have done it plenty.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7319812 10/19/18 04:48 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

I can tell you for a fact that is how the law was written at that time. As for today...

Sec. 62.005. HUNTING WITH LIGHT. Except as provided by Section 62.0055 or 62.0056, no person may hunt a game animal or bird protected by this code with the aid of an artificial light that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates the game animal or bird, including the headlights of a motor vehicle.

And as for calling BS, you don't know me from Adam so let me tell you something, I DO NOT LIE and I don't make things up. The story of the GW waiting for us at camp is a true story.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: fouzman] #7319869 10/19/18 05:52 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I can tell you for a fact that is how the law was written at that time. As for today...

And as for calling BS, you don't know me from Adam so let me tell you something, I DO NOT LIE and I don't make things up. The story of the GW waiting for us at camp is a true story.

Lighten up Francis, I'm talking about the game warden.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 10/19/18 05:52 PM.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319881 10/19/18 06:04 PM
S
Soccerdad1995 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I carry a handgun always, even though I almost never need it.

I also wear my seatbelt always even though I never need it.

I make sure the smoke detectors in my house are working and that I have a functioning fire extinguisher in my kitchen even though I have never needed either.

I have a first aid kit at home and one in each vehicle even though I almost never need them.

I guess my Boy Scout training just sunk in really well.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7319888 10/19/18 06:10 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Really? You stated you doubted the law was ever written that way. You're wrong. As for the GW waiting for us at camp, you're also wrong. As for calling the GW if you're going to be spotlighting during deer season, that is a courtesy to save him a trip and you the hassle. If you don't believe me. Go do some spotlighting during deer season without first notifying your GW and let us know how that works out for you.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7319898 10/19/18 06:19 PM
H
HuntersAnonymous41 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Always, i take no chances. I hunt my families land in LA, lots of outlaws out there. I've had my fare share of face to face interactions with poachers on our property already this year.

*BLLM* Black Labs Lives Matter. Point&Shoot. Conserve&Protect. Hunt&Gather
Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: fouzman] #7319905 10/19/18 06:31 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Really? You stated you doubted the law was ever written that way. You're wrong. As for the GW waiting for us at camp, you're also wrong. As for calling the GW if you're going to be spotlighting during deer season, that is a courtesy to save him a trip and you the hassle. If you don't believe me. Go do some spotlighting during deer season without first notifying your GW and let us know how that works out for you.
OK, have a nice day.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Soccerdad1995] #7320038 10/19/18 08:25 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Soccerdad1995
I carry a handgun always, even though I almost never need it.

I also wear my seatbelt always even though I never need it.

I make sure the smoke detectors in my house are working and that I have a functioning fire extinguisher in my kitchen even though I have never needed either.

I have a first aid kit at home and one in each vehicle even though I almost never need them.

I guess my Boy Scout training just sunk in really well.

Agreed. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Be prepared, always.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7330346 10/29/18 02:20 PM
S
Slimpickin Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Gonna make sure my flashlight has fresh batteries this weekend. Was told there were 3 rattlers and a copperhead in the area of my ground blind. I'll have my 22 with rat shot on my side, because the 6.8 is a bit much for close encounters of the reptile species. Read to many stories of individuals doing a Superman out their blind window.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide