Print Thread
Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! #7317651 10/17/18 05:30 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Hello all, I’m planning a trip to SHNF this weekend to test my gear and scout around.ive never hunted anything but family land so it’s a pretty big step out for me. Since I don’t have a Jeep anymore I’m worried about access. Can a low clearance 2-wheel drive make it down the “roads” there? I’m looking more closely at where 1097 turns into access road 211/244. If i have to walk in the whole way, I’ll be seriously considering dropping some gear from my pack. Sure would be nice to be able to car camp instead of backpacking.

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7317786 10/17/18 07:15 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The roads around the SHNF that i've driven down have all been paved, so you should be good. There may be some dirt roads somewhere as I've definitely not explored the whole place, but by and large outside of a utility easement, all the roads I've seen wouldnt be effected by rain.

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: JB1316] #7317810 10/17/18 07:43 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: JB1316
The roads around the SHNF that i've driven down have all been paved, so you should be good. There may be some dirt roads somewhere as I've definitely not explored the whole place, but by and large outside of a utility easement, all the roads I've seen wouldnt be effected by rain.

That’s great news, thanks! Google earth and the videos I’ve seen so far suggest it’s pretty uniformly thick bush. Should I bring a 55gal drum of mosquito spray?

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7318175 10/18/18 01:23 AM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Without a doubt. I’d make sure you have a few refills of thermocell. That stuff is magic.

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7318350 10/18/18 10:57 AM
T
Texaspilot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I’ve driven almost all of the non paved roads in the Sam and as long as there hasn’t been a ton of rain, you are good with two by four. I was just out and saw some does...

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7318382 10/18/18 11:49 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Roads are fine and 2wd is no problem. Went to go look for a few piggies last night but didnt see any but the wind wasnt very good for my location. I did have a deer walk up behind me about pig thirty. It ealked up behind me and busted me and went off barking through the woods. I think i saw 3 cars total out there

No bugs at all yesterday afternoon

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/18/18 11:57 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Bigfoot] #7318488 10/18/18 01:49 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Roads are fine and 2wd is no problem. Went to go look for a few piggies last night but didnt see any but the wind wasnt very good for my location. I did have a deer walk up behind me about pig thirty. It ealked up behind me and busted me and went off barking through the woods. I think i saw 3 cars total out there

No bugs at all yesterday afternoon

Man that’s awesome, thanks for the update. I’m going to bring my rifle and see if I can get a pig while I’m out there over the weekend. Excited!

First time I won’t be using a blind or stand, and some of the posts I’ve seen online make gun season sound dangerous from the ground. Have you ever seen anyone acting stupid there?

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7318699 10/18/18 04:53 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Not sure if you use it or not, but I highly recommend OnXMaps. Just drop it on your phone and be sure to download the maps for the area before you head out - incase you lose cell signal (shouldn't ever lose the GPS signal unless your phone sucks). It's an awesome app for planning your hunt path and marking rubs, etc... The Topo layer shows the creeks and elevations to make your planning easier and it clearly marks private lands vs. public lands/hunt zones. And any planning you do on your desktop with it just loads up on the phone app. Well worth the $30/year for a single state and a hell of a lot cheaper to use your phone GPS with customizable maps than some other hand held GPS.

Once you are out there you certainly may "go off plan" while following the signs but as a general rule I always print out a hard copy of my "planned" hunting route and leave it at home - that way if I don't show back up the fam has something to give to the GWs to give them an idea on where the hell I was going :P 162,000 acres is a lot of search area, best to narrow that down if something bad happens.

I actually just recently marked up the entire SHNF on OnXMaps and that area you looking at was one of my planned areas as well.

Plan ahead, be safe and good luck!

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7318855 10/18/18 07:24 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Binary
Not sure if you use it or not, but I highly recommend OnXMaps. Just drop it on your phone and be sure to download the maps for the area before you head out - incase you lose cell signal (shouldn't ever lose the GPS signal unless your phone sucks). It's an awesome app for planning your hunt path and marking rubs, etc... The Topo layer shows the creeks and elevations to make your planning easier and it clearly marks private lands vs. public lands/hunt zones. And any planning you do on your desktop with it just loads up on the phone app. Well worth the $30/year for a single state and a hell of a lot cheaper to use your phone GPS with customizable maps than some other hand held GPS.

Once you are out there you certainly may "go off plan" while following the signs but as a general rule I always print out a hard copy of my "planned" hunting route and leave it at home - that way if I don't show back up the fam has something to give to the GWs to give them an idea on where the hell I was going :P 162,000 acres is a lot of search area, best to narrow that down if something bad happens.

I actually just recently marked up the entire SHNF on OnXMaps and that area you looking at was one of my planned areas as well.

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a fair amount of backpacking and backcountry camping experience, so I have a garmin GPS and some Topo maps I printed off. I’ll check out OnX though, may be nicer than lugging my gps with me. My wife also gets a list of locations and check in times, or she’d never let me go by myself! That came in very handy in the Tetons for us so we have the system down pretty good.

Given how thick the brush is, would you recommend a scoped .308 or a slug gun? I like both but I’m thinking if it’s anything like a Louisiana swamp where I shot my last pig, iron sights are the way to go.

Last edited by Legg86; 10/18/18 07:26 PM.
Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7318898 10/18/18 08:11 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
What are you allowed to harvest there’s?

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7319036 10/18/18 10:29 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Most of my shots are 80 yards and under. I use an AR with a 1-6 scope but it stays on 1 or 1.5 only. I am also thinking of buying another red dot like my aimpoint micro. I should have never sold it. Basically your shots will definitely be under 100 yards and will probably be moving also so no magnification needed. Hunt with whatever you got. I use an AR in 6.8 but a bolt action 308 will be just fine. As long as you get that shot on target that is all that counts.

Be aware of falling branches!!! Always look up before you stop or sit some where.

I have been hunting there for years now and I have never seen another hunter in the field. I see them all the time on the roads where I park. My usual spots are at least 1.5 miles in off the main road. I need the exercise and I find the hunting much better deep in the woods where fewer people tend to go. I have a few spots up close but I have never seen anyone in the 50 to 60 trips I have made. I have heard a lot of shots in the woods. I wouldnt go on opening weekend or a holiday weekend and I skip saturdays also.
DOnt hunt deer in the afternoons just the morning. Hunt pigs in the afternoons!
Trust me on this! That is just the way it is

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/18/18 10:32 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Bigfoot] #7319150 10/18/18 11:59 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Most of my shots are 80 yards and under. I use an AR with a 1-6 scope but it stays on 1 or 1.5 only. I am also thinking of buying another red dot like my aimpoint micro. I should have never sold it. Basically your shots will definitely be under 100 yards and will probably be moving also so no magnification needed. Hunt with whatever you got. I use an AR in 6.8 but a bolt action 308 will be just fine. As long as you get that shot on target that is all that counts.

Be aware of falling branches!!! Always look up before you stop or sit some where.

I have been hunting there for years now and I have never seen another hunter in the field. I see them all the time on the roads where I park. My usual spots are at least 1.5 miles in off the main road. I need the exercise and I find the hunting much better deep in the woods where fewer people tend to go. I have a few spots up close but I have never seen anyone in the 50 to 60 trips I have made. I have heard a lot of shots in the woods. I wouldnt go on opening weekend or a holiday weekend and I skip saturdays also.

Any other tips? How do you hunt pigs in the afternoon?

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7319219 10/19/18 12:58 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Experience is your best friend. You have to spend time in those woods looking for good areas to hunt and develop patterns based on wind and environmental conditions.

I would look for signs of pigs along creeks with hardwoods and low lying areas. If you are good enough at reading fresh signs and tracks you can pick up on fresh travel routes and the general direction of movement. Set up accordingly and bang! dead pig~!!

You can do the same thing for deer but the morning hunt would be much better for deer in my opinion.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Bigfoot] #7319571 10/19/18 01:34 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the deep woods. I’m in pretty good shape so I was looking for the nastiest, most difficult areas to get to figuring there’d be a lot less pressure.

I also thought I might skip opening weekend in SHNF depending on my trip this weekend. If I see a lot of markers up along my planned routes I’ll go hunt Twin Butte instead lol.

Re: Sam Houston a national Forest WMA- first time! [Re: Legg86] #7319728 10/19/18 03:28 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Legg86
Originally Posted By: Binary

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a fair amount of backpacking and backcountry camping experience, so I have a garmin GPS and some Topo maps I printed off. I’ll check out OnX though, may be nicer than lugging my gps with me. My wife also gets a list of locations and check in times, or she’d never let me go by myself! That came in very handy in the Tetons for us so we have the system down pretty good.

Given how thick the brush is, would you recommend a scoped .308 or a slug gun? I like both but I’m thinking if it’s anything like a Louisiana swamp where I shot my last pig, iron sights are the way to go.

yeah let me know if you like it if you decide to use it. I think they do a 7 day free trial, so you should be able to try it out this weekend without having to purchase it. I personally think it's one of the best GPS/MAPPING tools on the market for hunters.

I plan on hunting the area with a .30-30 that has a little 3-9 scope.

Bigfoot seems to be a vet in hunting the SHNF - just follow him and learn all his good spots hehe JK

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide