Print Thread
Brand Spankin New! #7314876 10/15/18 02:16 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Hello all smile I have arrived! You may now bask in my glory!

My family is big time duck hunters in Louisiana, and I have a uncle who hunts deer there. I’ve gone white tail hunting with him once, but sitting in a blind all day with a 30y sight line didn’t really do it for me, so I never went back. Now that I’m in my 30’s and in Texas, I want to make another attempt. Unfortunately, I don’t know any hunters here so I’ll be figuring it out as I go.

I need some advice/help, and would love to receive your opinions on the below:

1- where to go:
I’m based in the Houston area, but am willing to travel anywhere in the state. I prefer longer sight lines instead of hunting swamp donkeys in the bushes. I sold my truck last year when I got my city job, and my Jeep Compass is not an OHV. I would be packing in/out.

2- what to bring:
There’s a million articles on hunting but very little that I’ve found on a hunting campsite. I have plenty of backpacking / car camping experience but was curious if there’s anything “hunting specific” that wouldn’t stick out and would ruin the trip if left behind out of ignorance.

3- who to go with:
I see that fish and game has a mentorship program for adults (awesome!) but it’s apparently drawing based. Is there a mentor type program that is private/ paid, but NOT a game ranch where you just pick out your deer and shoot it? Nothing against the guys who partake, but I don’t feel like paying 5 grand plus to shoot a tame deer with a tag in his ear. I want to learn how to hunt on WMA’s or something relatively economical.

4- ethical hunting:
Since I don’t have any experience, I may be going a bit overboard on this topic, but while I can reliably ring steel at 400y with my .308, I figure my max effective range no more than 300y. I’ll be practicing every weekend until I can my groups under 6”@ 400. Since I don’t really know any other hunters, what’s your opinions on accuracy vs your effective range, and do you recommend a range finder for a new hunter. I’m happy to pass one up at 350y, but I’m not confident I can accurately gauge the distance by eye and may Think he’s in range when maybe he’s not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Legg86] #7314958 10/15/18 03:20 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Welcome to Texas and to the best thing about Texas (whitetail hunting)!! I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses and a lot of different answers, but one thing that you can do to learn a lot is to read previous threads about anything and everything. Good luck and don't ever give up!!
elmer

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Legg86] #7314960 10/15/18 03:24 PM
270Sendero Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Welcome to Texas. And welcome to the forum. Being from Houston, you are only a couple hours from some of the best deer hunting there is. It’s also some of the most expensive. The area southwest of you produces more BIG deer than any other part of the state.

Head a few hours northwest to the hill country and you have some of the easiest deer hunting in the state. Tons of deer, hogs. And the possibility of exotics. Just don’t expect to kill a BIG buck. There’s a few there, but not like other areas of the state.

It’s a little late this season, but check in the lease section here. Maybe get on an established lease and learn the ropes from them. I think most guys would be more than happy to help.

Like you, I like to be able to see when I hunt. Good binoculars and and an accurate gun are a must. I can shoot out to 400-500 yards in a couple of my stands. That doesn’t mean I will. I keep my shots under 300 if I can. I think most guys can make a 300 yard shot. Past that, you better know your gun, distance, and be able to handle that kind of distance. It’s just not worth wounding an animal. There’s a good chance you’ll see him again if you pass a shot you’re not 100% capable of making.

Good luck to you. Enjoy the forum, it’s addicting.

Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Legg86] #7314972 10/15/18 03:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
welcome

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Legg86] #7314997 10/15/18 03:48 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Welcome Legg86! What part of Louisiana are you from? I moved to the Dallas area in 97. Being from South La, I grew up casting and blasting but now I'm a reformed deer and pig hunter. I found the best thing to do is get on a lease. Yes, it will cost some money but in most cases you get to use it year round. Deer, hogs, dove, turkey, and if your lucky you might find one with a duck pond.

I find I don't spend any more than I did back at home keeping up with boat motors and everything needed to hunt and fish in the marsh.

Oh, and I find most shots (at least in Central Texas) to be no more than 200 yards. If you want to practice out further, you can always target a hog.

Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Legg86] #7315065 10/15/18 04:43 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

[Linked Image]
Re: Brand Spankin New! [Re: Sparta] #7315086 10/15/18 05:08 PM
L
Legg86 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Thanks for the reply! I’m technically from Houston but the whole family’s from EBR/ Livingston Parish. Wife is from same area. Spent a good portion of my childhood at the duck camp fishing and in duck blinds. Went to college in Hammond. Love Louisiana but Texas is the land of opportunity!

I honestly don’t know enough about a lease to make a good choice with my money. Hopefully I’ll get some learning in with this forum so I can make a better decision. I like idea of WMA hunting so I’m not tied down to anything.

I’m certainly not the killinest hog hunter around, but I’ve still got a hundred pounds or so of meat from last year!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide