Forums46
Topics537,019
Posts9,719,441
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: Txduckman] #7308978 10/09/18 01:31 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Paul
I don’t know who Paul is

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: SapperTitan] #7308979 10/09/18 01:31 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
So who runs the operation and why does it matter?

Probably doesn't matter in this case but here is some past history...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas...ers-1597183.php

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7309108 10/09/18 04:05 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Sad deal no matter who runs it. Life ending for one and life changing for others in a split second.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: Txduckman] #7309111 10/09/18 04:09 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
So who runs the operation and why does it matter?

Probably doesn't matter in this case but here is some past history...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas...ers-1597183.php
Interesting, I had never heard of him or that operation.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7309123 10/09/18 04:45 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Really? He has some of the most annoying ads on YouTube.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7309124 10/09/18 04:49 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I don't watch that much youtube ive really never heard of the guy or operation

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7309127 10/09/18 04:55 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The name of the ranch didn't ring any bells but when I read the other linked story I remembered this guy. I have a serious problem with anyone who screws hunters, but I'm not sure how he can be held responsible for this. Assuming this is an accident (I don't believe there is any evidence to the contrary), it falls squarely on the shoulders of he hunter who didn't follow basic safety practices.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: SapperTitan] #7309129 10/09/18 05:02 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I have never seen him on YouTube. His ads used to pop up everywhere though if you ever searched the word hog. They were always free hunts or you won a free hunt. He had his own sticky thread in the hog section here warning hunters to stay away from the place. Hence the charge by Greg Abbott at the time. He changed the name of the ranch and removed his name as best he could. Don't think anything came of the charges except being more transparent on pricing. It was a scam to get out of state guys.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7309234 10/09/18 12:07 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Day hunts on 265 acres? Sounds as ridiculous as it is. Who would pay to do this?

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: sbushee] #7309407 10/09/18 02:35 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

IR has been the topic of several threads on THF as well over the years.

Originally Posted By: sbushee
Day hunts on 265 acres? Sounds as ridiculous as it is. Who would pay to do this?

Surprisingly, a LOT of people do.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10/09/18 02:37 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7309851 10/09/18 10:54 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Wow that is tragic. I can't imagine what that guy is going through right now...

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7311184 10/11/18 01:33 PM
J
jts728 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Dang, sad deal.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: Jimbo] #7311226 10/11/18 02:21 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I get upset with my hunting partner when I pick him up from the stand.
I know he unloads the gun, but he has a bad habit of sweeping me with the muzzle of his rifle when he puts it into the back seat of my truck.
I tell him time and time again, but the old man is an old dog that can't learn new tricks.
Really tragic, and sad, as it could have been prevented, and we all need to remember how fast things can go bad.

That's a lie. He's unwilling to change. Next time, don't tell him, jump all over him and he'll get the point. If not, you need a new partner, because the time he forgets to unload it is when that accident will happen. It's your life though, and if you don't find yourself valuable, then keep on being okay with it.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: KWood_TSU] #7311247 10/11/18 02:42 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
I know he unloads the gun, but he has a bad habit of sweeping me with the muzzle of his rifle when he puts it into the back seat of my truck.
I tell him time and time again, but the old man is an old dog that can't learn new tricks.
Really tragic, and sad, as it could have been prevented, and we all need to remember how fast things can go bad.

That's a lie. He's unwilling to change. Next time, don't tell him, jump all over him and he'll get the point. If not, you need a new partner, because the time he forgets to unload it is when that accident will happen. It's your life though, and if you don't find yourself valuable, then keep on being okay with it.

Had a little incident with my son and my then hunting partner. I stay on all my kids about gun safety. So, this Guy sweeps my son, who was about 12 at the time, with a loaded shotgun while dove hunting. My son makes a big deal about it, wasn’t rude but jumped out of his seat and said something like, “come on man!! I’m 12 and know not to do that.” My buddy says hush kid I’ve done this longer than you’ve been alive, my gun is on safety. Boy comes back with people get shot all the time by guns that were supposed to be on safety or something close to that. He heard that one from me which is why he said it.

Partner gets upset and wants me to discipline my boy for “being a smart arse, and being disrespectful.” Told him Sorry buddy but I agree with him, you do it again and a disrespectful kid will be the least of your worries....He headed to the truck and waited until we had finished hunting. I drove him home without a word said and he never called me for a hunt again. We haven’t talked in a long time now. Didn’t really want to lose a friend over it but it is what it is.

Some people get too comfortable around guns and become complacent.....dangerous.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: 8pointdrop] #7311256 10/11/18 02:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

Had a little incident with my son and my then hunting partner. I stay on all my kids about gun safety. So, this Guy sweeps my son, who was about 12 at the time, with a loaded shotgun while dove hunting. My son makes a big deal about it, wasn’t rude but jumped out of his seat and said something like, “come on man!! I’m 12 and know not to do that.” My buddy says hush kid I’ve done this longer than you’ve been alive, my gun is on safety. Boy comes back with people get shot all the time by guns that were supposed to be on safety or something close to that. He heard that one from me which is why he said it.

Partner gets upset and wants me to discipline my boy for “being a smart arse, and being disrespectful.” Told him Sorry buddy but I agree with him, you do it again and a disrespectful kid will be the least of your worries....He headed to the truck and waited until we had finished hunting. I drove him home without a word said and he never called me for a hunt again. We haven’t talked in a long time now. Didn’t really want to lose a friend over it but it is what it is.

Some people get too comfortable around guns and become complacent.....dangerous.

You didn't lose a friend, he did. Chances are really small that anything would have ever happened, but now you 100% know he won't shoot anybody you're hunting with.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7311328 10/11/18 03:56 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I have had several incidences with muzzle sweeping, some loaded and some not loaded. The most dangerous thing I see, personally, is fully loaded rifles in deer camp. I don't like this at all. One of our members was handling is lever gun a lot with a lot of movement to the muzzle and I asked if it was loaded with a round in the chamber. He said yes, I asked him to unload the chamber for safety reasons. He did no problem, but this should be a no brainer with a rifle in deer camp.

I can be the safest person with a firearm, but the person near you who is not is the one who will kill you!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7311343 10/11/18 04:14 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

You didn't lose a friend, he did. Chances are really small that anything would have ever happened, but now you 100% know he won't shoot anybody you're hunting with.

The patriarch of our hunt camp in OK makes a speech at the beginning of every year. In that speech, he points out the biggest, hairiest, scariest looking guy, and also points out the meekest, most shy looking kid and says that anyone, at anytime, can question whether a chamber is empty, whether or not a safety is on, or point out barrel sweeping, etc. He makes sure that anybody, big or small is comfortable with bringing up gun safety, and that gun safety is the absolute, most important thing. Period. And if you don't like that, than you can leave. You're son was right, as were you.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7311741 10/11/18 11:56 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
It sickens me that we lost a brother due to "STUPIDITY" anyone who doesn't unload ( EMPTY CHAMBER) every time we enter a risky or unstable situation is risking a tragic outcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you hunt with someone who makes you nervous fix the problem or leave the problem. I love hunting and I cherish my hunting friends however I cherish my life more than the sport or any relationship. We must all make this thing we love SAFE. Every tragedy devastates a family and puts another nail in our sports coffin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7314595 10/15/18 03:06 AM
J
JeremyKS Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
When in a vehicle what's everybody do with their gun? Point the muzzle to the floor or to the ceiling?

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: JeremyKS] #7314720 10/15/18 11:47 AM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted By: JeremyKS
When in a vehicle what's everybody do with their gun? Point the muzzle to the floor or to the ceiling?

Either way, as long as the chamber is empty.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: JeremyKS] #7314723 10/15/18 11:51 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: JeremyKS

Floor. And there’s never a cartridge in the chamber. Ever.

I’m not knocking the guys who require a full unloading before entering a vehicle because that’s probably the best practice. But I hunt: 1)only with guys I know and trust are safe and 2)where sometimes a shot opportunity may present itself while riding. I’m sure you do also on the antelope hunts.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7314825 10/15/18 01:37 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Floor was how I was taught, so that is how I do it.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7314969 10/15/18 03:28 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Floor with shells below the bolt.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7315238 10/15/18 07:29 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Floor and empty - but make sure your floor is clean! My buddy's rifle gobbled up a piece of corn the other day and luckily he noticed it jammed in the end of his rifle before he took his next shot! Would it have been an issue? Maybe, maybe not. Easy fix - put a piece of tape over the end. Seen other people do that, but haven't done it myself before. Will do it from now on if hunting in a ranch truck (corn and mud on the floorboard) after my buddy's experience.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Hunter Killer exiting blind at Independence Ranch [Re: dkershen] #7315245 10/15/18 07:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Floor, but if we're not hunting on the way back to camp they're unloaded, put in a scabbard and put in the bed of the truck pointing at the tailgate.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide