Page 1 of 2 1 2
I am at a crossroads... #7308452 10/08/18 05:53 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I have worked for a fairly decent sized manufacturing company for a little over three years. I originally applied and was hired as a QC manager. It was a brand new position and they were wanting someone to get it started. Not really in my wheel house, but I wanted something different so I took the job. It was clear after the first day that QC was going to be the least of my duties. Fast forward over 3 years. I am now by title the shipping manager. I book/schedule all the trucks, negotiate with brokers and award the loads. I supervise 15+ people in the final assembly and loading of the freight as well as being in charge of QC. This is a very fast paced position, depending on the time of year, I will work 60+ hours a week. I would say my stress level is moderate to high. My current commute is 45 minutes one way on a GREAT day. In these 3 years, I have had my responsibilities increase exponentially with a 3% increase in compensation. That just happened this past February. Granted there are some other benefits that I will not get anywhere else. Any employee, spouse or dependent child gets free tuition to a local community college as well as any related books. My oldest daughter is currently in this program. Every year any employee that has been with the company over 2 years, gets an all expense paid company sponsored trip to Mexico for an extended weekend as well a several "happy hours" and special events through out the year.

I am expecting a phone call either this afternoon or tomorrow with a job offer for a warehouse supervisor at a distribution center for Winco. I have had 4 phone interviews starting with a recruiter and I just finished one at lunch today with the VP for the area. I also had a site visit this past Friday. This position is more money, and I am pretty sure its less hours. Judging by what I saw Friday, I am guessing the stress level is a fraction of what I have now. I haven't seen anything on benefits yet, but I am thinking the insurance is not going to be as good as what I have now. Certainly no free college. This commute will be less than 10 minutes, probably closer to 5. The ONLY drawback in my mind is the hours. Its M-F and starts a noon until "completion". I have no problem with the completion part. I am working a ton of hours now, but starting at noon is weighing on me. I am an early to bed/early to rise kind of guy. Judging by what everyone I have talked to says, there is plenty of room for advancement within the company.

My wife seems to think its a no brainer, and I can see where shes coming from. Please feel free to weigh in, but I think I just wanted to put it down on paper so to speak. I feel like this should be an easy decision, but its weighing on me. Thanks for reading.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308470 10/08/18 06:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Hours-you can change your evening routine to your morning and still be an early riser. Work out, do laundry, prep meals, etc. all during the morning before you go to work. If there's room for advancement, you may soon be in a position with better hours.

'Completion', I would get some clarity on that. If that means 7:30-9 pm regularly, perfectly fine; if that mean 10-11pm regularly (off a noon start) that starts to get dicey.

Community college is pretty cheap, isn't it? And she won't be there much longer.

Plus you're getting back over an hour per day that you're not spending on the commute?

Seems pretty easy to me, especially if we're talking a 20%+ raise.

Good luck with your decision!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308476 10/08/18 06:06 PM
F
FiremanJG Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
F
You and your family would prefer you do not kill yourself to provide for them.

Whichever job prevents that, is the one to go with.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7308487 10/08/18 06:15 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Hours-you can change your evening routine to your morning and still be an early riser. Work out, do laundry, prep meals, etc. all during the morning before you go to work. If there's room for advancement, you may soon be in a position with better hours.

'Completion', I would get some clarity on that. If that means 7:30-9 pm regularly, perfectly fine; if that mean 10-11pm regularly (off a noon start) that starts to get dicey.

Community college is pretty cheap, isn't it? And she won't be there much longer.

Plus you're getting back over an hour per day that you're not spending on the commute?

up

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308489 10/08/18 06:16 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Winco is pretty new to this area. Before you decide go visit one of their stores, see how you're treated. Check prices against Albertsons and others. Courteous store people means a lot in the super market business. I'm old enough to have seen some big boys go under and I think it was because the folks working there were rude to folks. Weigartens, Safeway and others. Walk into a Walmart store ask a Walmarshun for help and they are on it. In most cases. bang

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308491 10/08/18 06:17 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Sounds like the new offer is the ticket. More money offset the benefits you might not get, less hours and shorter commute, a lot less stress.
Going to work at noon could be fun, you can get all of your honey dues done in the am, hunt/fish in the am before you go to work and have the weekend free to do as you please.

Take the new gig up

texas flag
[Linked Image]

davidl@pmstandley.com
http://www.pmstandley.com/
972- 845-4073
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: FiremanJG] #7308500 10/08/18 06:26 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Ha, where was that thought when we took our jobs? roflmao

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: BigPig] #7308518 10/08/18 06:49 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BigPig

Doctor told my brother once that we spend the prime years of our lives ignoring family and health chasing money then the last years of our lives spending the money trying to get them both back.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: BigPig] #7308520 10/08/18 06:50 PM
F
FiremanJG Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
F

Fact. Why I think I can write that with some authority. Too late for me to change now. 8 to go, minimum.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: ducknbass] #7308524 10/08/18 06:57 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Doctor told my brother once that we spend the prime years of our lives ignoring family and health chasing money then the last years of our lives spending the money trying to get them both back.

Very true

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308529 10/08/18 07:04 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I agree with your wife.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308532 10/08/18 07:06 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

I have been told the company is growing at an exceptional rate. I was also told that there is ample opportunity for advancement. As far as the hours, they have their busy season which is when most of the OT takes place. I am guessing during the holidays. I was told it was typically an hour or so if at all. It could be more, could be less. My daughter is currently taking 2 classes. It cost almost $700 plus books. I have no idea what those were. The raise is closer to 10% unless I can negotiate that. I have no idea if that's possible.

Originally Posted By: RayB
Winco is pretty new to this area. Before you decide go visit one of their stores, see how you're treated. Check prices against Albertsons and others. Courteous store people means a lot in the super market business. I'm old enough to have seen some big boys go under and I think it was because the folks working there were rude to folks. Weigartens, Safeway and others. Walk into a Walmart store ask a Walmarshun for help and they are on it. In most cases. bang

We shopped Kroger exclusively for years. We got a new Winco down the road about a year ago. I would say that 75% of our shopping is done there now. This isn't directly for Winco though. I would be with a 3PL company that manages their inbound product.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308539 10/08/18 07:09 PM
K
ksjmf Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
If you have to ask here, you know the answer already. It sounds like this oppurtunity fell in your lap. Just think what might be out there if you went searching for them.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: ducknbass] #7308556 10/08/18 07:17 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Yeah but the flip side is at home and broke so no real life. So Iíll work until I die trying to provide a happy life for others. Iím happy when they are happy even if Iím not around to see it.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308560 10/08/18 07:19 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Thatís my thought also

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308570 10/08/18 07:30 PM
Chickenman Online Shocked
Chickenless
Online Shocked
Chickenless
Same line of work. Similar hours and stress + or -.

I saw you mention 3PL. While I have never worked for a 3PL, I have only heard negative things about them. One being the bottom dollar so doing more with less which is becoming an industry standard. That means management too.

It is an employees market right now. Don't move unless you're certain.

Best of luck!

[Linked Image]
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: 68rustbucket] #7308616 10/08/18 08:26 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket

Very true

Yup....

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Milf does the trick.

"You're statistically more likely to be killed by Hillary Clinton than an NRA member. - PolitiDiva

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: Chickenman] #7308658 10/08/18 08:52 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Chickenman
Same line of work. Similar hours and stress + or -.

I saw you mention 3PL. While I have never worked for a 3PL, I have only heard negative things about them. One being the bottom dollar so doing more with less which is becoming an industry standard. That means management too.

It is an employees market right now. Don't move unless you're certain.

Best of luck!

Location is the biggest factor in this. I have been driving all over the metro mess for 20 years. I wouldn't know how to act with a 5 minute commute. Would it be possible for me to bend your ear? I would love to hear your thoughts on the freight business.

Last edited by jrfan; 10/08/18 09:13 PM.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308661 10/08/18 08:54 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have no idea which way you should jump. But I had no idea that any company, any where, could still offer something like that free community college and books thingy. That should NOT enter into your consideration, but still, 'had no idea. I'd want the cash equivalent for the Mexico weekend thing. Your current gig does sound like a little too much "pizzaz" on the benefits side, which means they do, in fact, expect you to "kill yourself" working for them. There are companies like that. I loath them.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: Creekrunner] #7308721 10/08/18 09:35 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I have no idea which way you should jump. But I had no idea that any company, any where, could still offer something like that free community college and books thingy. That should NOT enter into your consideration, but still, 'had no idea. I'd want the cash equivalent for the Mexico weekend thing. Your current gig does sound like a little too much "pizzaz" on the benefits side, which means they do, in fact, expect you to "kill yourself" working for them. There are companies like that. I loath them.

Yup, they just started it this year. Its a co-op thing that was started with Northlake College. Zero cost, no strings attached. I feel the same way about the other stuff. I rarely go to the outings and I passed on Mexico.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308910 10/09/18 12:26 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I read a study once that said the one single thing most people regret in life is not taking risks. I definitely fall into that group but have decided at 59 that itís never too late. My company has just announced a separation package to all employees that means 60 weeks of full pay to me, plus my annual bonus, plus benefits.

Iím taking the money and will use the 60 weeks to find something I really want to do in these last years before retirement.

Dan,

Spring, Texas
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7308961 10/09/18 01:16 AM
D
Dalroo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Winco was one of my clients at my previous company. Spent some time in their Boise headquarters. Top notch company, employee owned, and the team I worked with seemed to be a pretty happy bunch. And I think fairly aggressive expansion plans in Texas.

Good luck!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Moslah Shrine Temple - 2B1 ASK1
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7309676 10/09/18 06:45 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Well, they've offered me the position. I am waiting on the benefits package and I'll make a decision. Thanks for everyone's input.

Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: jrfan] #7309686 10/09/18 07:06 PM
Payne Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
good luck

[Linked Image]
Re: I am at a crossroads... [Re: 68rustbucket] #7309692 10/09/18 07:15 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker