Print Thread
Masking Human Scent? #7306632 10/06/18 05:37 PM
H
happydaddy2 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I was watching a Youtube video of Andy Burk on tying a Pyramid Lake Wooly Bugger, and he mentioned it is a good idea to grab some bottom mud and rub your flies with it to mask non-natural scents.

Later on I read an article on FAOL about scent trails and particularly that of human scent. The gist of it was that some people excrete more "L-Serine" than others from their hands and that it is a powerful fish repellent (along with bug spray, sunscreen, and some say even head cement).

"Smell Tracks - Fly Angler's OnLine

I have to admit, I've been real sloppy about it. I rub on sunscreen and mosquito repellent and kinda just wash my hands off in the water and wipe them on my waders. I'm pretty sure that for an animal who can find their way upstream to where they were born using scent alone, I am putting a big nasty Exxon Valdez kinda scent trail into the water, and getting it on my flies and leaders too.

I am going to get some biodegradable unscented soap like Dr. Bronner's and carry a little bottle of it with me to wash my hands with periodically throughout the day, any time I have handled stinky stuff other than fish. I'm thinking of also scooping up some mud and water from shore and carrying it in a small container like a film can to dunk my flies in and maybe rub on my leader.

It may not help, but I can't see any way it could hurt. Do YOU do anything to mask human scent related stuff on your flies?

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306635 10/06/18 05:42 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306781 10/06/18 08:47 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Your setup, taking wind direction and currents into consideration is more important than trying to mask your scent.
You can't beat a deers nose, and even doing all you can do, can you really know if you've eliminated all the scent that a deer can't detect you?

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306807 10/06/18 09:24 PM
H
happydaddy2 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
i met a old guy that said tobacco smell helped him hide his scent, he sid he would just walk in the the woods and start stalking deers.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: Jimbo] #7306835 10/06/18 10:02 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Your setup, taking wind direction and currents into consideration is more important than trying to mask your scent.
You can't beat a deers nose, and even doing all you can do, can you really know if you've eliminated all the scent that a deer can't detect you?

This.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306846 10/06/18 10:11 PM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
How in the world did anyone ever kill a deer before scent masking products??? I agree with Jimbo, just set up with the wind in your face and enjoy your hunt.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306918 10/06/18 11:29 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I fish with hand grenades, the body odor from my hands gives the fish enough warning that they just get hit with the concussion, not the shrapnel. Leave the little ones and net the big ones. Move upstream and repeat.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7306988 10/07/18 01:00 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Haven't we met our quota for scent blocking threads for this season already

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7307005 10/07/18 01:15 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Haven't we met our quota for scent blocking threads for this season already
From what I gathered his post had nothing to do with deer lol but instead fish smelling him when he washed his hands.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7307314 10/07/18 02:49 PM
1 link stringer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Back in the day a hunter would wallow like a Buffalo, over Buffalo crap. Now a days very few Buffalo, a lot of cows, I won't wallow in it. I will step on it to mask my walk in to my stand. On another note. Back in the late 80's I and two of my cousins bow hunted Fort Hood, Killeen Texas. You had to be there extra early and sign in. They would load the hunters in trucks and drop you off at deer stands and pick you up. Ten or twelve to a truck. One guy had skunk scent on him. Stopped at the first stand. Driver; Who is getting off? In exact timing every hunter on the truck pointed at (PEPE LEPUE). REAL STORY! Choose your masking scent wisely!!

I see said the blind man to the deaf dog
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: 1 link stringer] #7308193 10/08/18 01:42 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: 1 link stringer
Back in the day a hunter would wallow like a Buffalo, over Buffalo crap. Now a days very few Buffalo, a lot of cows, I won't wallow in it. I will step on it to mask my walk in to my stand. On another note. Back in the late 80's I and two of my cousins bow hunted Fort Hood, Killeen Texas. You had to be there extra early and sign in. They would load the hunters in trucks and drop you off at deer stands and pick you up. Ten or twelve to a truck. One guy had skunk scent on him. Stopped at the first stand. Driver; Who is getting off? In exact timing every hunter on the truck pointed at (PEPE LEPUE). REAL STORY! Choose your masking scent wisely!!

roflmao

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7309024 10/09/18 02:17 AM
J
JH117 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I also step on a few cow patties on the way to the stand! Other than that I hunt the wind and make sure i stay away from my wife when she's getting ready. Don't wanna smell like hairspray and women's perfume....

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7309250 10/09/18 12:27 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Allsup's Burrito works covering human scent.! flush

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7309294 10/09/18 01:20 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Each time you exhale, you broadcast your scent. Would the cow patties help that?

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7309486 10/09/18 03:40 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I have some theories on scent... now this is just my opinion, but i firmly believe that 90% of the time, deer don’t bust you on scent. I think they bust you on movement. If deer were afraid of human scent, you’d never see a deer. With that being said, do I use scent away spray? Of course. But I’ve never had deer bust me by smell, only movement.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: Pintail711] #7309498 10/09/18 03:57 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
I have some theories on scent... now this is just my opinion, but i firmly believe that 90% of the time, deer don’t bust you on scent. I think they bust you on movement. If deer were afraid of human scent, you’d never see a deer. With that being said, do I use scent away spray? Of course. But I’ve never had deer bust me by smell, only movement.

I think there is some truth to this in certain areas. I've had them put their nose in the air and look right up at me. They get visibly nervous, but if I'm still they go back to normal after a few mins. (This is at the ranch in Brady)

On the other hand I hunted a large high fence (5000+ acres) in Alabama and had them snort and take of while I'm sitting 20 ft up in a tree. In this instance I'm positive they didn't see me, it was all smell.

Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: happydaddy2] #7309519 10/09/18 04:17 PM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: happydaddy2
I was watching a Youtube video of Andy Burk on tying a Pyramid Lake Wooly Bugger, and he mentioned it is a good idea to grab some bottom mud and rub your flies with it to mask non-natural scents.

Later on I read an article on FAOL about scent trails and particularly that of human scent. The gist of it was that some people excrete more "L-Serine" than others from their hands and that it is a powerful fish repellent (along with bug spray, sunscreen, and some say even head cement).

"Smell Tracks - Fly Angler's OnLine

I have to admit, I've been real sloppy about it. I rub on sunscreen and mosquito repellent and kinda just wash my hands off in the water and wipe them on my waders. I'm pretty sure that for an animal who can find their way upstream to where they were born using scent alone, I am putting a big nasty Exxon Valdez kinda scent trail into the water, and getting it on my flies and leaders too.

I am going to get some biodegradable unscented soap like Dr. Bronner's and carry a little bottle of it with me to wash my hands with periodically throughout the day, any time I have handled stinky stuff other than fish. I'm thinking of also scooping up some mud and water from shore and carrying it in a small container like a film can to dunk my flies in and maybe rub on my leader.

It may not help, but I can't see any way it could hurt. Do YOU do anything to mask human scent related stuff on your flies?

Yep, Shad Oil, or Minnow Oil works wonders...and you will catch more fish...Also, get some Camo waders, and use the scent away body soap to wash your hands with. Whenever you catch a fish, especially the throwbacks, wipe both sides of the fly (lure, jig, etc.) along the body of the fish, and get some fish slime on your hands, as well. If you are a boater, fill the gas and oil after you leave the lake, not before. Hope this helps...

From a hunting perspective just minimizing body odor helps. I use the Scent Away products every day year round, just to tend to this aspect, and my hunting clothes get the scent away treatment in the washer and are air dried outside, the night before the hunt, even if I plan to wear my blue Big Smith overalls, and bubba Orange t-shirt. Cow pies are you boots best friend. Of course an oily gun will mess up the best laid plans...

Last edited by crapicat; 10/09/18 04:25 PM.
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: crapicat] #7309620 10/09/18 05:43 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Dead Down Wind..................toothpaste

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Masking Human Scent? [Re: retfuz] #7309882 10/09/18 11:42 PM
J
JH117 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: retfuz
Each time you exhale, you broadcast your scent. Would the cow patties help that?

No it wouldn't help. That's why I hunt the wind....duh! I don't want them smelling a foreign scent on the ground though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide