Print Thread
Mud and UTV's #7302424 10/01/18 06:39 PM
W
waterandwoods Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
BIL picked up '13 ranger. FIL said they have their place but UTV's aren't made to handle the water and mud we regularly get into. Most is in river bottom, crossing slews and can get some awefully muddy stuff. All our traveling is done on 4 wheelers in the woods where UTV's just aint practical. I know most UTV's are used on ranches for where real work has to be done and not in the woods where it can get real muddy and knee deep water. I was curious of those that might have used them for this type of hunting. I see duck hunters using them them to haul people and gear, so they must have their place. Mule Pro FX for example. Thanks for replies

Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7302579 10/01/18 09:28 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well, as much as I like our Kubota RTV 900, it really isn’t a mud machine. I’ve heard that you can jack them up and put aggressive tires on them and they’ll be decent in mud, but I don’t know that for a fact. As it is, it’s low slung and heavy and will get stuck pretty easy.

For serious mud use, you need aggressive tires and 10 or so inches of ground clearance and four wheel drive to sling the mud off the tires. That’s experience talking, having grown up in serious mud country in eastern Louisiana along the river. The only thing I never stuck was Dad’s old International scout, jacked up and with 4wd. I took it places where no sane person would go.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7302581 10/01/18 09:29 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A 4 wheeler is gonna be better because it’s lighter but a UTV will be better than a Truck.

Put the right type of tire and have enough ground clearance thy are fine for most applications.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7302583 10/01/18 09:31 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Other than very thick woods, atv's and utv's will go anywhere that the other will go. The way they are built the only thing that will stop either one is the fact that they get high centered. If the tires don't touch the ground neither is going to go anywhere. I owned an atv and the only reason I got rid of it and got a utv is old age plus the fact that the wife goes with me frequently and atv's are not built for 2 people. It is not a big deal to put a snorkel on the engine intake on either type for places where deep water is a problem. If you are going to use in extreme situations, one device you must have is spelled "WINCH". Contrary to some peoples ideas, tall skinny tires will take you places the fat, wide tires will not. The tall thin tires seem to cut thru the mud better and get down to hard pan for more traction, just remember, nothing goes anywhere if the tires don't touch the ground.

Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: DLALLDER] #7303014 10/02/18 05:51 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Other than very thick woods, atv's and utv's will go anywhere that the other will go. The way they are built the only thing that will stop either one is the fact that they get high centered. If the tires don't touch the ground neither is going to go anywhere. I owned an atv and the only reason I got rid of it and got a utv is old age plus the fact that the wife goes with me frequently and atv's are not built for 2 people. It is not a big deal to put a snorkel on the engine intake on either type for places where deep water is a problem. If you are going to use in extreme situations, one device you must have is spelled "WINCH". Contrary to some peoples ideas, tall skinny tires will take you places the fat, wide tires will not. The tall thin tires seem to cut thru the mud better and get down to hard pan for more traction, just remember, nothing goes anywhere if the tires don't touch the ground.

Dang, and I thought I was the only person that knew these facts! Good job, Carry on...oh yea, remember the fat tires only work really well where there is no bottom to the muck...and that is the reason for the winch...

Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7303170 10/02/18 01:58 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
The low slung, solid axle, leaf spring work horse UTVs will not do good in the mud. The ones with independent suspension, and are liftable, like the Ranger or Mule Pro should do as good as an ATV if properly set up. That is if you are not trying to haul 6 people. One issue that is a hindrance in the woods is the turning radius of a UTV, which is not very tight.

Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7303227 10/02/18 03:00 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My JD 825i is pretty much unstoppable. It’s fast too. A little noisy is my only gripe.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7303314 10/02/18 04:05 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
You can put trax on them. Look at the rig the quackrack guys post pictures of all the time.

Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: DLALLDER] #7303431 10/02/18 06:22 PM
W
waterandwoods Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER

This is the exact setup we have on all 4 wheelers in TN for the woods. Couldn't live w/o WINCH. There is always a tree within reach. The fat tires will help you float if needed.

Last edited by jr22dad; 10/02/18 06:23 PM.
Re: Mud and UTV's [Re: waterandwoods] #7304734 10/04/18 02:50 AM
S
sdunshee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
CanAm Defender HD10 with a small lift and 30"+ tires is a monster in any terrain. More than enough power to wick the wheel speed up to clean out the tires in the brown stuff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide