Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Tim Grounds Passes Away. #7302533 10/01/18 08:51 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked OP
"The Guardian"
OP Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Heard that Tim Grounds passed away in a ATV accident. Was spraying weeds and it rolled over on him. Enjoyed meeting him and Hunter some years back at Sportsman's Warehouse doing some seminars with Phil Robertson.

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7302582 10/01/18 09:30 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Man, that stinks!

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/water...5a1e4530f3.html

JOHNSTON CITY — Goose calling legend and call-maker extraordinaire Tim Grounds, 60, of Johnston City, was killed on Sunday in an accident at his hunting club in rural Williamson County.

Grounds had apparently been spraying weeds on the side of an embankment when his ATV overturned and landed atop of him. A statement from the Williamson County Cororer’s Office said when Grounds failed to return, home friends went to look for him and found him beneath the ATV.

A lifelong waterfowl enthusiast, Grounds parlayed his passion and talents into an international business, Tim Grounds Championship Calls. He burst into the national waterfowling spotlight by winning the World Championships in Easton, Maryland in 1988, 1992 and 1994.

But, Grounds was more than a successful caller and businessman.

“He was a good man,” said Troy Dishner, a longtime friend and goose calling competitor. “One of the best friends you could have. He was the best man in my wedding. There wasn’t anybody like him. I’m still in shock. He would do anything for you.”

Grounds’ family posted this statement on Facebook, “Hunter, his dad and I want to thank each or you for your loyalty to Tim all through the years. He loved GOD, geese, his work, his friends – he loved life. He taught so many and was generous to a fault. HE WAS THE #1 GOOSEMAN. And, if you were his friend, he had your back and you knew it.” The statement as signed by his son, Hunter, and his mother and father, Bill and Juda Grounds.

Grounds’ generosity and enthusiasm to teach others was a common theme.

“I’m so sad,” said Dwight Hoffard of Johnston City, longtime organizer of the Southern Illinois Celebration of National Hunting and Fishing Days. “Tim was a unique individual, but he had a heart as big as a basketball. He always was in the middle of everything. He loved his sport and was always anxious to pass it along to the young folks. Tim was a good guy in a lot of ways. I hope people realize that.

“He passed the Tim Grounds Goose Calling Championship to us. He began that, in I think 1990, and he passed that on to National Hunting and Fishing Days. He was a big supporter of that.”

That first contest was small in scale, but eventually became recognized as one of the premier calling contests in the nation. The event drew callers from throughout the United States to National Hunting and Fishing Days.

After his calling career ended, Grounds remained a giant in the business by continuing to create new calls. He was also active in making hunting videos.

“You know what, competing against him, he would drive you to get better,” Dishner said. “It ain’t going to be the same. There are other call makers out there, but there was only one Tim. He did it for the money, but he also did it because that was what he loved doing.

“When he was in there calling, that was a big accomplishment when you won. Like he said, if you want to be the best, you have to call against the best.”

Dishner said Grounds’ “Half Breed”, a short-reed call, revolutionized the calling world.

“It just stormed the market,” he said. “It was totally different than the flute call.

“Tim is to waterfowl, what Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston and Roland Martin are to fishing. He is in that same category. He loved kids coming up. I saw him, little kids would be blowing on a call, he’d say, ‘Here, hold it this way.’ He’d take time with kids where some people don’t care they’re just trying to sell product.”

“He is the Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) of the goose,” Hoffard said. “The goose calling industry owes their current success to Tim Grounds. Tim Grounds made competitive goose calling what it is today.”

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7302621 10/01/18 10:09 PM
W
Whack n stack Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
sad news.

Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7302703 10/01/18 11:38 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Never knew who he was, but a tragic accident.

Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: Guy] #7302922 10/02/18 02:46 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Guy

Same, and well said.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7303160 10/02/18 01:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: Guy

Same, and well said.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Tim Grounds Passes Away. [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7304558 10/03/18 11:03 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
RIP

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide