Print Thread
Garner SP - Axis hunt #7264544 08/22/18 08:15 PM
M
Mr T Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
after 16 years of preference points, finally an exotic hunt. Has anyone hunted Garner for Axis?
suggestions welcome

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265180 08/23/18 01:38 PM
S
salth2o Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Congrats on the draw. I got drawn there three years ago and then got drawn again this year. The year I went everything was really green and there was not much action.

Here is the hunt in a nutshell...

They have pop up blinds that are numbered and each blind is set up with a corn feeder. Prior to the first hunt everyone draws a number and hunts the corresponding blind. You have to hunt that spot the first evening and first morning. After that, I think they let those who wish to redraw to do so if there are open spots. Due to the blind locations, there are distinct shooting lanes marked with flagging and you cannot shoot outside those boundaries. The blinds are sometimes located in camping areas. Mine last time was in an RV campground adjacent to the river. Beautiful setting, just not much animal activity that year. From what I have been able to ascertain, when you do see one, things happen fast because most of the time they are just passing through rather than coming to the feeder to eat. Most suggested keeping your rifle rested on your shooting sticks so you have the draw on the deer.

The park staff drive you to and from the blind. Usually 3 or 4 hunters riding in the back of the truck. Kind of feels like the mafia heading out to settle a score. smile You can stay all day if you wish, but the truck comes by around 10am and 3pm. Hunters have to have bolts open 15 minutes prior to the truck times so no one is shooting while the truck is making its rounds. They do not want you tracking any wounded game during the hunt times. If you shoot something and it is DRT, then you can shoot another if the opportunity presents itself. If you cannot see it laying dead, then you cannot shoot another and have to wait until park staff arrives to help track.

I suggest bringing shooting sticks and a camp chair to sit in. My blind had a metal folding chair which would have made for a long sit. Most of us last time brought alfalfa or chaffhaye and put it out as well. However, like I stated, it was so green that there were just piles of hay everywhere. On my hunt one axis was killed and another was wounded. Others saw some, but couldn't get a shot. I did see lots of turkey.

The number of axis at GSP is definitely not what it used to be. When I was there the park ranger said the herd had been reduced from over 600 to around 200. This is in part to a program the state has implemented to reduce the axis population (meet the yearly quota) by hiring an outside company to kill then certify the meat for resale. This is conducted after the drawn hunts are completed. I still think its a good hunt because where I hunt there is 0% chance to kill an exotic and at GSP at least there is a fair chance.

I heard lots of mixed reviews about the GSP hunt prior to going. The hunt is what you make it. Yes, it is different from lots of other hunts and safety is a main focus. I found the staff to be very cordial and definitely willing to help in any manner possible. They want the axis killed. I camped in the park and met lots of nice folks. Since the park was closed to anyone except hunters, I didn't have to make a reservation. I'll probably call ahead this year just to confirm this. There are some places just outside the park where you can rent a cabin (http://frio4jrivercamp.com/cabins.html), but I enjoy camping on these SP hunts.

Good luck!

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265242 08/23/18 02:50 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We have stayed at the 4J the past two summers and it’s a real nice set up. It’s a very quiet place and other people there respect others.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: salth2o] #7265409 08/23/18 05:32 PM
M
Mr T Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
wow, thanks for the replies and great summary, tells me a lot.
I have already booked one of the cabins at 4J, can't wait.
I'll be driving about 8 hours from Louisiana, want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks again, this told me a lot.

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7265410 08/23/18 05:39 PM
M
Mr T Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
I assume there is a processing shed or rack on site?

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265459 08/23/18 06:39 PM
S
salth2o Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
No problem! Glad to help.

Originally Posted By: Mr T
I assume there is a processing shed or rack on site?

They have a dedicated area for skinning and there is a rack for hunters to use.

Last time I was there, it was really cold. They allowed us to take our Mr. Buddy heaters to the blinds.

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265496 08/23/18 07:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You should go next weekend (Labor Day) and scout it out. 'Kidding! (Unless you want to see what it looks like when the entire west side of San Antonio moves into a state park.) grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265665 08/23/18 10:33 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
All I know is if you see one you better shoot it. Don't screw around and wait for something better.

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7265677 08/23/18 10:49 PM
B
Bigfoot Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I think that is good advice at any of these hunts.

I wouldnt wait unless you just have a steady stream of animals.

From what I can tell is these deer get smart quickly. If you look at the stats on the hunters the first hunt period always does better. So getting the deer or exotics to the feeders which is the only place you can hunt on these stand hunts can sometimes be difficult especially if you are in the 2nd hunt period.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Bigfoot] #7298418 09/26/18 08:19 PM
M
Mr T Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
is the hunt for axis only or any exotic mammal?
any aoudad or fallow etc?

Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7298428 09/26/18 08:26 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Mr T
is the hunt for axis only or any exotic mammal?
any aoudad or fallow etc?

Ive never seen auodad or fallow out there.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7299000 09/27/18 01:55 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The big gas station & C Store in Leakey on the east side of the hwy has a walkin cooler that they will rent hanging spaces in for any of the local hunters.

For any of the youth hunters there is a Big Buck contest too that's worth checking out...and a participation prize as I recall.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: Mr T] #7299028 09/27/18 02:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Bring a sharp knife.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Garner SP - Axis hunt [Re: don k] #7302732 10/01/18 11:58 PM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: don k
All I know is if you see one you better shoot it. Don't screw around and wait for something better.

SOUND ADVICE from someone who has killed more critters than the rest of THF COMBINED!! roflmao cheers happy3

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide