Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers #7295138 09/23/18 08:34 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Quote:
A Texas Parks and Wildlife helicopter flies over Joe Flynn who witnessed them shooting aoudod sheep while hiking in the Big Bend Ranch State Park. Flynn and Cassidy Bayles were startled by gunfire from a helicopter overhead and initially thought it was drug cartel activity. But the culprit was more innocent -- it was a state Parks and

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a...#photo-16206703

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295139 09/23/18 08:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, I could see how that would be disturbing!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295147 09/23/18 08:56 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Caused quite an uproar a few years ago when they shot a bunch of jackasses out there .... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295152 09/23/18 09:00 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I had a low flying Apache blowing stuff all around my shop, this was back in the black helicopter days. There was no gun fire, but it was still intense for a few minutes.
In drug cartel territory, different thoughts would come to mind.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295176 09/23/18 09:29 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Daggum! Are Aoudad sheep that big of a problem there?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: J.G.] #7295192 09/23/18 09:50 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Compete with desert bighorn sheep....been “controlling” them for quite a while....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7295207 09/23/18 10:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Compete with desert bighorn sheep....been “controlling” them for quite a while....

Weren't they brought in to eat the vegetation the Big Horn was not keeping up with? Are the Big Horn numbers better and now TP&W are reducing Aoudad numbers?

Do I have that right?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295232 09/23/18 10:43 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I can’t access the full article without paying for a membership, but surely there would be a way to offer aoudad hunting in a big ol place that.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295233 09/23/18 10:43 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Seems like a great way to generate revenue selling hunts but what do I know?

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295239 09/23/18 10:46 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Ask Mulie Mike about the shooting of Aoudad in and around the park. From what he told me it was a bit disturbing to the guides and hunters on a ranch that borders the park when they shot into sheep from the choppers on the private land that they were going after on a outfitted hunt.

Like the elk that were slaughtered at the Desert big horn facility were wasted resources that the hunters of Texas could have benefited from why not the Aoudad of the park.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295261 09/23/18 11:03 PM
T
The Duke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
When we fly, we are very careful to not show our guns when we fly over a highway or someone else property when we are going to or from hunting grounds for this reason.

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295267 09/23/18 11:10 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Don't kid yourselves, when all is said and done this is about money. They are protecting what they have spent in re-introducing big horn sheep. If the aoudads can out compete the big horn for food and can tolerate disease better than what has been sunk into the project goes down the drain. And along with it future money to support the herd or to finance future schemes goes down the drain with it. Also, they make big money auctioning of those hunts for the big horns, aoudads...not so much.

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295385 09/24/18 01:14 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
He stood there and videoed it. If I thought it was a cartel hit going on, you would not find me standing in the open with my cell phone capturing it all. Under a bush in the fetal position, maybe, but not standing up with "Witness" painted on me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295497 09/24/18 03:25 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Aoudads breed too prolifically to be controlled by sport hunting. They are almost as invasive as pigs. The aoudads need to go if bighorns are going to make a comeback but I am beginning to wonder if the public even wants that. It seems to me that most Texas hunters would prefer to have aoudads.

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: gusick] #7295509 09/24/18 03:42 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gusick
Aoudads breed too prolifically to be controlled by sport hunting. They are almost as invasive as pigs. The aoudads need to go if bighorns are going to make a comeback but I am beginning to wonder if the public even wants that. It seems to me that most Texas hunters would prefer to have aoudads.

They were introduced to Texas after WWII, and are now found in a lot of areas that a few years ago had never seen one. Like Spanish goats they are escape artists, there are few fences that can keep them contained.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7295522 09/24/18 04:04 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Caused quite an uproar a few years ago when they shot a bunch of jackasses out there .... rofl

Some of those escaped north to Washington DC. woot

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: kmon11] #7295726 09/24/18 01:42 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Ask Mulie Mike about the shooting of Aoudad in and around the park. From what he told me it was a bit disturbing to the guides and hunters on a ranch that borders the park when they shot into sheep from the choppers on the private land that they were going after on a outfitted hunt.

Like the elk that were slaughtered at the Desert big horn facility were wasted resources that the hunters of Texas could have benefited from why not the Aoudad of the park.

This

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7295851 09/24/18 03:12 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
When Bill Carter Sr, bought the White Horse Ranch, across I-20 from Van Horn and spent mega $'s high fencing the 85 mile perimiter of the ranch, and instructed those few of us who were invited to hunt Mule Deer ...he said knock down any and all Aoudad you see, big small all of them need to be put down, as they are "disease tranfer animals" ...they can transfer diseases from domestic sheep to the Desert Bighorns that will kill the Big Horns. Also said, We are applying for a place in the Desert BigHorn Restoration Project and need to eradicate ALL of the Aoudad to have a chance to participate.

Needless to say Mr Carters considerable out of pocket expense in creating a year round watering system on the size ranch and high fence was wasted, as the Ranch was not awarded any part of the Restoration Project. He sold the ranch sometime after that rejection, and bought an Elk Ranch in Colorado is what I was told. The Desert Mule Deer above my head as I type this is the biggest Deer I've taken @ 212lb's, field dressed, on the scale, with 28" long main beams & a 22+" spread as I recall, but was only the 3rd largest taken out of the 13 Deer harvested by the invited guests. There were some real honkers out there for sure.

The box canyon my pard and I were assigned was on the far western end of the little range of half a dozen mesa's to hunt in were the only Aoudads spotted...and I learned just how far a 270 loaded maxmax cannot reach, even with a +500' elevation advantage...might have done better with my buddy's 300Wby but I doubt it.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: deerfeeder] #7296650 09/25/18 03:27 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Don't kid yourselves, when all is said and done this is about money. They are protecting what they have spent in re-introducing big horn sheep. If the aoudads can out compete the big horn for food and can tolerate disease better than what has been sunk into the project goes down the drain. And along with it future money to support the herd or to finance future schemes goes down the drain with it. Also, they make big money auctioning of those hunts for the big horns, aoudads...not so much.

Very true. Those bighorns make the state a lot of money.
I’m sure they are afraid if they actually sold hunts for them somebody would accidentally shoot a bighorn. And it probably would happen.
In Colorado there are moose killed every year mistaken for elk.

Re: Aerial shooting in Big Bend park spooks hikers [Re: huntwest] #7296685 09/25/18 04:15 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

Very true. Those bighorns make the state a lot of money.
I’m sure they are afraid if they actually sold hunts for them somebody would accidentally shoot a bighorn. And it probably would happen.
In Colorado there are moose killed every year mistaken for elk.

I drew a permit to hunt javelina in the park last year. Talking to the LEO that was running the hunt, he said this is exactly the reason they don't allow aoudad hunts.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide