Print Thread
Trail Camera Placement #7294554 09/23/18 12:32 AM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Hey guys, I have one of my cameras over my feeder and haven’t had anything except birds. I’m in Lamar County, and was wondering what you guys think about camera positioning and location. Obviously trails would be a place to start but is there anything else to keep in mind? They’re not hitting the feeders yet, and attribute that to acorns and persimmon trees. Where do you guys have your cameras in addition to your feeders?

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7294656 09/23/18 02:55 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have one located about 100 yards behind feeder on the other side of a thick area. Deer always seem to come from that way and I was curious what I might be missing. Seeing lots of deer as they travel through the area.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7294716 09/23/18 04:37 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Avoid facing it east or west to avoid the rising and setting sun cause it false trigger.

I agree with the earlier comments. Look for tracks that indicate the direction deer come to the feeder most often. Mature bucks will often stop well short of the feeder when tending to does once the rut rolls around.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7294719 09/23/18 04:44 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don’t put mine at feeders anymore. I put them on trails and I hand corn.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7294792 09/23/18 12:36 PM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Thank you guys! I appreciate your advice. This is a new location for feeder and camera and we were seeing a few does a few weeks ago but the last two weeks or so we haven’t seen anything. I imagine it will be a little bit easier to look for tracks in all this soft ground and mud.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7294799 09/23/18 12:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Put them around the acorns and persimmon

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7294835 09/23/18 01:42 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I like to put one over a creek crossing. The rest are either on trails, or under oak trees that I know from past hunts that they like to frequent when acorns are dropping.
Another good place is over scrapes.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7295484 09/24/18 03:14 AM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Thanks guy! We are going to move them tomorrow to where we have persimmon and acorns occurring naturally. There is also a creek that is the property divide that we need to study a little closer. We know they use it to move just haven’t found that trail opening they’re using, if they’re using the same one.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7295524 09/24/18 04:19 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: maconator
Thanks guy! We are going to move them tomorrow to where we have persimmon and acorns occurring naturally. There is also a creek that is the property divide that we need to study a little closer. We know they use it to move just haven’t found that trail opening they’re using, if they’re using the same one.

Because deer are lazy creatures, the points where they often choose to cross creeks can be easy to find. Just look for areas with good cover where the banks offer the least resistance.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Texas Dan] #7296089 09/24/18 06:47 PM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M

Thank you! I will be sure to walk the tree line and be more observant.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7296113 09/24/18 07:07 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
depending on how much rain yall have received, if there is limited water or water troughs on the property, that could be another place to set up a camera, watching spots where they can go to water. I also suggest looking for sign around the acorns and persimmons and setting cameras up in those areas until the freezes finish off the acorns and push them back to looking for corn. I have found that thinking creatively often gets me some of the best pics during this time when they arent hitting the corn too hard.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Texas Dan] #7296157 09/24/18 07:44 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Because deer are lazy creatures,
What I did at the end of summer(about 2 weeks ago) was cut a trail wide enough for my 4 wheeler between planted pines and a cut over. The pines are probably 30+ feet tall now. Hung a camera and 2 weeks later, have all kinds of deer using it.
Every year, some of my best ambush spots are trails that I make at the end of summer. By the time bow season starts, I'm set!!! up

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: polishpreacher] #7297691 09/26/18 02:42 AM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: polishpreacher
depending on how much rain yall have received, if there is limited water or water troughs on the property, that could be another place to set up a camera, watching spots where they can go to water. I also suggest looking for sign around the acorns and persimmons and setting cameras up in those areas until the freezes finish off the acorns and push them back to looking for corn. I have found that thinking creatively often gets me some of the best pics during this time when they arent hitting the corn too hard.

lots of rain out there and we have this particular feeder ten yards away from a very small pond and there's a wet season creek 75 yards or so away. im thinking im going to go look for signs around acorns

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: sqiggy] #7297697 09/26/18 02:44 AM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
What I did at the end of summer(about 2 weeks ago) was cut a trail wide enough for my 4 wheeler between planted pines and a cut over. The pines are probably 30+ feet tall now. Hung a camera and 2 weeks later, have all kinds of deer using it.
Every year, some of my best ambush spots are trails that I make at the end of summer. By the time bow season starts, I'm set!!! up

So you have had success annually with this technique, i my have to consider that. we are also in the process of putting seed for a plot out if the guy that lives there can get a dry day.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7297745 09/26/18 03:29 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I put mine on the trail leading to the feeder

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7297965 09/26/18 01:40 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

So you have had success annually with this technique, i my have to consider that. we are also in the process of putting seed for a plot out if the guy that lives there can get a dry day.
All the time. I can actually put the deer where I want by cutting out trails.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: sqiggy] #7297990 09/26/18 01:58 PM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M

All the time. I can actually put the deer where I want by cutting out trails.

Thank you, i appreciate the information. I think we are going to give it a shot!

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Bear Charge] #7297992 09/26/18 02:00 PM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Bear Charge
I put mine on the trail leading to the feeder

I have been a bit lazy in actively seeking out trails. I need to do so. It awfully swampy right now.

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7298058 09/26/18 03:00 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I can take a brush hog, make a trail and have deer walking down it in a couple of days. They are just like us and will take the easiest way through thick brush if they can.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Mr. T.] #7298079 09/26/18 03:16 PM
M
maconator Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I can take a brush hog, make a trail and have deer walking down it in a couple of days. They are just like us and will take the easiest way through thick brush if they can.

what is the width of the trails that you create?

Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: maconator] #7299216 09/27/18 06:09 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I've had them over feeders in the past but last year, while hunting from a blind, I spotted two big, mature bucks going at it during the rut under an oak grove that's about 200-250 yards off to one side. We don't have a feeder in that area nor a blind that overlooks it, this was pure happenstance. Over the next few weeks I spot-and-stalked the grove and saw both bucks in the general vicinity (but never within range). This year I have a camera at a trail crossroads near the grove, hoping to see/pattern either one of them (if they're still alive). Won't be back to check the camera for another week, but I am FIRED UP to see what's on it.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Trail Camera Placement [Re: Exiled] #7299245 09/27/18 06:45 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Exiled
I've had them over feeders in the past but last year, while hunting from a blind, I spotted two big, mature bucks going at it during the rut under an oak grove that's about 200-250 yards off to one side. We don't have a feeder in that area nor a blind that overlooks it, this was pure happenstance. Over the next few weeks I spot-and-stalked the grove and saw both bucks in the general vicinity (but never within range). This year I have a camera at a trail crossroads near the grove, hoping to see/pattern either one of them (if they're still alive). Won't be back to check the camera for another week, but I am FIRED UP to see what's on it.

If or when they show backup hand corn oak grove up

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide