Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Advice on 1st retriever #7282604 09/10/18 06:10 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I'm new to this and looking for advice on my first retriever. I may try my hand at training myself or include a trainer if I can find one nearby. I have time after the office and weekends. I've been looking at a Lab or a Golden. I don't see any threads here about Golden retrievers does any one here use them? Advice? I'd like a dog that makes a great home pet as well as a gun dog. Thanks for any input.

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7282643 09/10/18 06:53 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Bradybuck has a male chocolate available, if he's anything like his mom appears to be in his videos he will be great

Last edited by RayB; 09/10/18 06:53 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7282710 09/10/18 08:27 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
He's a sweet pup and a fireball, first pup out of the whelping box, bold and fearless. He's going to be bomb proof.

Only pup who didn't get sick out of the litter.

Mom is HR titled and one pass from HRCH
Dad is QAA MH

Check out my litter add for the details.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/10/18 10:15 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7282720 09/10/18 08:37 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
One of our family members has a golden who hangs around us at the ranch but doesn't officially hunt and we have 4 labs that we all hunt with. The biggest issue I see with the golden is cleaning it. Even with a ton of grass burs I can wash and dry all 4 of the labs in the time it takes just to wash the golden and dry the golden. Then you have spend tons of time picking out all of the grass burs from the golden's coat. If I were primarily looking between a golden and a lab I would go the lab route every time just for the ease of maintenance between the two breeds.

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7282741 09/10/18 08:58 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have seen some really nice field bred goldens. I have seen a lot more really nice field bred labs. There are a lot more labs to choose from. The only down side to a well bred golden is they are burr magnets. Several years ago I hunted a week in North Dakota with a buddy from Indiana that had a really nice golden with a lot of go. By the end of the week the poor golden looked like he had the mange from cutting cockle burrs out of his coat. After having 30-40 cut out the first day, the golden was so pissed he returned the favor by destroying my buddies parka. All of us but one saw the humor....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7282783 09/10/18 09:43 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
That was the main issue I see with Golden's. Although don't have too many burrs where I'll mainly be hunting theres plenty else to get tangled.

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BradyBuck] #7283125 09/11/18 03:18 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
He's a sweet pup and a fireball, first pup out of the whelping box, bold and fearless. He's going to be bomb proof.

Dad is QAA MH

If I didn't have a retrieving machine I would buy this pup. He can't miss.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7284401 09/12/18 01:48 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I have field goldens so let me know if you have any questions. Most field goldens are bred with a shorter "field" coat. That does not necessarily eliminate burrs but it helps. It has never been a big hassle for me. Some videos of my dogs as well as GRHRCH Titan and GRHRCH Yeti on my youtube channel.... search Jay Schwisow. Goldens are known for having a good "off" switch, great noses, trainability and personality. Good field goldens are hard to come by and it may take up to a year to get one out of a solid breeding. I enjoyed labs for many many years and in Texas you will not have to wait as long for a great dog (like BB's male pup).

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7284661 09/12/18 04:56 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Justin (Drake Sporting Dogs) has bred Drake to a nice female.
I've been around a couple of litters he sired. If I was still a lab person, I would have one.
I switched over to pointers years ago.
I'm not trying to hide anything, Justin is my nephew.
You would have to call him for all the info on the bitch.

HRCH Drake's Rolling Thunder MH25 QA2.
Drake has sired 39 puppies that are wonderful family members, great hunting companions and fierce competitors. They have collectively received over 30+ AKC/UKC titles. Drake had his first title at 5-months-old. He received his first senior pass at 10-month-old and has won derbies and quals. He is also a 2015 & 2016 Master National Qualifier. All health clearances available.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7285897 09/13/18 07:43 PM
BuckRage Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Gentlemen, if dealing with Sweese and BradyBuck was anything like the conversation I had with them anyone would be lucky to! Great speaking with you today BradyBuck. Very honest, up front, patient and pragmatic. Besides all of that he was just a great man to carry a conversation with. Sweese is just a wealth of information and just so willing to share information and talk and just put it all out there even to a newcomer and someone he doesn't even know. Both of you two are top notch gentlemen and I just can't say enough about you and thank you again. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7286849 09/14/18 07:56 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Gentlemen, if dealing with Sweese and BradyBuck was anything like the conversation I had with them anyone would be lucky to! Great speaking with you today BradyBuck. Very honest, up front, patient and pragmatic. Besides all of that he was just a great man to carry a conversation with. Sweese is just a wealth of information and just so willing to share information and talk and just put it all out there even to a newcomer and someone he doesn't even know. Both of you two are top notch gentlemen and I just can't say enough about you and thank you again. up

Appreciate it.. up

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: Smokey Bear] #7289646 09/18/18 01:13 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I have seen some really nice field bred goldens. I have seen a lot more really nice field bred labs. There are a lot more labs to choose from. The only down side to a well bred golden is they are burr magnets. Several years ago I hunted a week in North Dakota with a buddy from Indiana that had a really nice golden with a lot of go. By the end of the week the poor golden looked like he had the mange from cutting cockle burrs out of his coat.

I would think lab fur is better in the water and staying dry. Labs come out, shake and they are damn near dry.

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: BuckRage] #7290133 09/18/18 02:32 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: BuckRage

Thanks !

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Advice on 1st retriever [Re: bobcat1] #7293958 09/22/18 03:08 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Dad is QAA MH

If I didn't have a retrieving machine I would buy this pup. He can't miss.

Good looking pup.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide