Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7283254 09/11/18 12:08 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn For me, I go to the woods for myself. Pulling the trigger is secondary to the hunt. However I do enjoy filling my smokehouse with sausage as it has become my passion. Our place is hunted by myself, and our son in laws who from time to time will bring one of their friends to hunt. They will limit their guest to the number of deer that they can take. The grandsons are 4 & 5 years old and love sitting in the blind, and soon enough they will be taking shots when they are old enough.
Every place is different and can handle large harvest, or need to be watched. Nothing wrong with either side of the fence on this topic, as long as folks don't forget what the entire process is about..! banana2

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7287562 09/15/18 07:02 PM
A
AceEightEight Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Where I hunt is only about 40 acres. Last year 3 does and one buck were harvested. If it's low fence I don't see why the size of the property matters, unless it isolated and not surrounded by similar property. What does a low fence mean to deer? Nothing. I hunt on 40 acres but those deer don't live on just 40 acres.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: AceEightEight] #7287566 09/15/18 07:12 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: AceEightEight
Where I hunt is only about 40 acres. Last year 3 does and one buck were harvested. If it's low fence I don't see why the size of the property matters, unless it isolated and not surrounded by similar property. What does a low fence mean to deer? Nothing. I hunt on 40 acres but those deer don't live on just 40 acres.

What county? Where I hunt, land supports about 1 deer per 25 acres. We wouldn't have many deer left if everyone was taking that many deer on surrounding properties. We have 1,000 acres and take 6 to 7 a year. Same with neighbors who are all large as well.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7287574 09/15/18 07:31 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I have no issue with trophy hunters or with meat hunters. Just because someone is a meat hunter, that doesn't mean that a rack wouldn't get them excited and being a trophy hunter doesn't always mean that they don't want a few doe to fill the feeder. Hunt what you want to hunt and the way you want to hunt it.

I enjoy the management side of things and I enjoy hunting. We have lease rules that allow meat hunters to enjoy their time and trophy hunters to enjoy their time. You want to fill all five tags...go for it but if you want to take a buck, it has to meet the minimum requirements for the lease. If you don't like it, don't get on the lease.

As far as the question "who eats 5 deer a year?" My family does.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Txduckman] #7287595 09/15/18 08:00 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Originally Posted By: AceEightEight

What county? Where I hunt, land supports about 1 deer per 25 acres. We wouldn't have many deer left if everyone was taking that many deer on surrounding properties. We have 1,000 acres and take 6 to 7 a year. Same with neighbors who are all large as well.

I hunt on 70 ac and last year we killed 16 deer (15b 1d) and needed to kill more. I live on 9 ac about 10 miles from the 70 ac place and I could use every tag in my house and not make a dent but I used all my tags on the 70ac place. 2 years ago I hunted a place that’s just under 400ac about 3 miles from my house and didn’t kill anything at all because there were only a handful of deer on the place. I let that lease go because I have more deer and bigger bucks on my 9 acres just 3 miles away(only about 1.5 as the crow fly’s). Do they all live on my 9acres nope but they come here for the free buffet on most days. Why would a deer that has way bigger places to stay on come to my little 9 acres.....my guess would be that they are HUNGRY and are safe unless they are over 140”. So far there’s only been one of those and my neighbors son shot him after I let him walk the previous year even though he was over 140 but only 4 yrs old. These are just a few examples of why you can’t determine how many deer you can or can’t shoot by the number of acres you own or lease and I’m sure there are tons more just like these. Just like HFs, all LF places are not created equally!

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: txshntr] #7287597 09/15/18 08:12 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I have no issue with trophy hunters or with meat hunters. Just because someone is a meat hunter, that doesn't mean that a rack wouldn't get them excited and being a trophy hunter doesn't always mean that they don't want a few doe to fill the feeder. Hunt what you want to hunt and the way you want to hunt it.

I enjoy the management side of things and I enjoy hunting. We have lease rules that allow meat hunters to enjoy their time and trophy hunters to enjoy their time. You want to fill all five tags...go for it but if you want to take a buck, it has to meet the minimum requirements for the lease. If you don't like it, don't get on the lease.

Damn you txshntr there you go again, being all logical and making perfect sense with examples and everything! You might ought to be a little more careful though. Because one of these days they are going to show up at your door with a manslaughter warrant for making some poor fools head explode when he reads one of your post!

As for eating 5 deer a year I’m guessing he has never had deer that was properly cleaned and processed or he wouldn’t be asking! My question is who wouldn’t eat 5 deer a year?

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: BOONER] #7287646 09/15/18 09:25 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Damn you txshntr there you go again, being all logical and making perfect sense with examples and everything! You might ought to be a little more careful though. Because one of these days they are going to show up at your door with a manslaughter warrant for making some poor fools head explode when he reads one of your post!

As for eating 5 deer a year I’m guessing he has never had deer that was properly cleaned and processed or he wouldn’t be asking! My question is who wouldn’t eat 5 deer a year?

cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7287750 09/15/18 11:49 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Not sure if I am a meat hunter who likes horns or a horn hunter who likes meat.
I much prefer doe meat over a buck, especially in rut. That said you need to know you area population and adjust accordingly. At the house we need to take about 15 doe as I have between 10 to 35 hit the feeder every evening/night. So far only 2 yearlings mixed in with the doe.
As for the lease members not following the rules, simply get rid of them.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7293556 09/21/18 08:11 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I consider myself more of a meat hunter only in the sense that providing game meat for my family is my top priority, but I'm definitely not self-righteous about it and I will ALSO hunt hard all season for a good buck. I actually have a ton of admiration for hunters who prioritize trophies because I've seen how hard y'all prepare, study pictures and footage, and then hunt hard for specific bucks, letting younger (or lesser) animals pass and sometimes going the whole season without finding that trophy. In fact, I'm living that right now. A great friend of mine is allowing me to hunt a trophy axis buck at his place, and I've been out there 4 times, hunted my heart out, and not come across a buck worthy of calling a trophy and putting on the wall. It's tremendously frustrating but exhilarating at the same time, I've passed on bucks that other hunters would definitely have shot because this might be my only axis buck and I want it to COUNT! smile

Bottom line, whatever our preference, we still have to actively manage the herd and trigger-happy douchebags ruin it for ALL of us, regardless of what their intent is.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7293574 09/21/18 08:26 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Even if you are hunting on only say 40 acres and you have been taking 3 to 4 deer for a few years and yet see several bucks and does with fawns from year to year then you are probably not over hunting the area.
It's when those numbers decline is when it tells you that you are over harvesting the property.
A healthy population will show itself in short order with recruitment of those deer that have been harvested.
If you have an I'll get mine attitude then you probably aren't going to have many deer to shoot in seasons to come.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/21/18 08:32 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Roll-Tide] #7294009 09/22/18 10:59 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Who eats 5 deer a year?

Answer...A 350 lb guy that raises cattle on 100 acres for a living... grill

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7294017 09/22/18 11:42 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Great discussion! I have been on both sides of this fence multiple times in my life, and have a couple really nice racks on the wall to show for it (low fence old mature bucks.) That said, if I am looking for meat, I am intending to shoot a young fawn doe early in the season, as they seem to make the best steak type table fare. I will shoot an old or barren doe for chili meat or jerky purposes (and I like both). I do my own processing on these type animals, and label them accordingly, as I package them. If I decide to shoot a buck, it will be an old mature buck, and I will take the animal to a processor to grind into hamburger or link style summer sausage. If I see an obviously injured animal, I will take that one out.

I have come to these kill decisions after many years of discussions with friends, family, conservationists, law enforcement officials, biologists, etc. This practice seems to keep with the best practices available rule.

A couple of points to remember, some deer are huge, so one deer might suffice in a given year...while other deer are small (I refer to them as dog deer) and possibly it could take several animals to provide adequate food for a year. Further, biologist set limits designed to keep populations in check with available forage. They have to consider the affects of “trophy hunting only” folks who may not shoot any deer for several years, when setting those limits. Do I have an opinion on this matter, yes...and it corresponds to the type of animals I harvest, as noted above.

As an aside, I also like to shoot wild pigs to supplement my pork needs every year, which lessens the pressure to supply extra venison for the table. Not to mention, dove, pheasant and/or squirrel. In essence, a complete hunter, whether meat or trophy minded, can work within the limits of the law, in relation to the multiple species of game, conserve the resource for future generations, and feed the family, but they must consider all resources available and be management minded, at the same time.

I sincerely hope this information is found to be useful and/or enlightening...

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: crapicat] #7294118 09/22/18 02:19 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: crapicat
Great discussion! I have been on both sides of this fence multiple times in my life, and have a couple really nice racks on the wall to show for it (low fence old mature bucks.) That said, if I am looking for meat, I am intending to shoot a young fawn doe early in the season, as they seem to make the best steak type table fare. I will shoot an old or barren doe for chili meat or jerky purposes (and I like both). I do my own processing on these type animals, and label them accordingly, as I package them. If I decide to shoot a buck, it will be an old mature buck, and I will take the animal to a processor to grind into hamburger or link style summer sausage. If I see an obviously injured animal, I will take that one out.

I have come to these kill decisions after many years of discussions with friends, family, conservationists, law enforcement officials, biologists, etc. This practice seems to keep with the best practices available rule.

A couple of points to remember, some deer are huge, so one deer might suffice in a given year...while other deer are small (I refer to them as dog deer) and possibly it could take several animals to provide adequate food for a year. Further, biologist set limits designed to keep populations in check with available forage. They have to consider the affects of “trophy hunting only” folks who may not shoot any deer for several years, when setting those limits. Do I have an opinion on this matter, yes...and it corresponds to the type of animals I harvest, as noted above.

As an aside, I also like to shoot wild pigs to supplement my pork needs every year, which lessens the pressure to supply extra venison for the table. Not to mention, dove, pheasant and/or squirrel. In essence, a complete hunter, whether meat or trophy minded, can work within the limits of the law, in relation to the multiple species of game, conserve the resource for future generations, and feed the family, but they must consider all resources available and be management minded, at the same time.

Great post as it is the way several of us seasoned hunts conduct our time in the woods.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7294246 09/22/18 04:34 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Way too many people worrying about what other people are doing or what other people think. Hunt the way you want, let others hunt the way they want. Meat hunter, trophy hunter - get over it, it doesn't matter. Personally, I do my thing and try to stay out of other people's way and expect the same.

And you know what they say about opinions....

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7294407 09/22/18 09:01 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Between my wife and I myself, we shot two bucks and three doe last year. We also have three young boys. Our family has already gone through all 5 of the deer we shot, plus one my brother got. As for this discussion, I guess I’m on both sides. I like deer meat, and I like to shoot big bucks. If there is not a trophy type buck to shoot in a season, I’ll take a cull type buck for the meat. Never really understood the argument that your either a meat hunter, or trophy hunter. What can’t you be both?

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: crapicat] #7294440 09/22/18 09:58 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: crapicat

Great post!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: dogcatcher] #7294448 09/22/18 10:17 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
This almost sounds like the little old ladies gossiping at a quilting party trying to convince everyone else how to run their business.

roflmao

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide