Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Sitka Gear #7292998 09/21/18 10:56 AM
Texan Medic Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I’m looking at getting new camo for this season, and I know all the rave about Sitka gear, but it’s mighty expensive! My question is, is the gear really that good and worth the price tag? Or is there something that’s just as good and maybe just a little cheaper?

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293008 09/21/18 11:20 AM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I would also like to know as I am saving my dollars,for,some Sitka gear. I had the money once or twice but the kids always need something.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293018 09/21/18 11:31 AM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Sitka Gear is worth it if you are an active hunter. I.e. hiking, backpacking, etc. it is essentially athletic/sportswear that is lightweight and breathes well with an athletic cut that’s camouflage. If you simply are sitting in a box blind, the price isn’t worth it as there are cheaper alternatives.

Kuiu is a less expensive alternative as they cut out the middle man and sell directly to you, the consumer. First Lite & Kryptek are other less expensive (compared to sitka) options as well.

Last edited by Theringworm; 09/21/18 01:00 PM.
Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293083 09/21/18 12:55 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Sitka gear is absolutely not worth the hype. What exactly are you looking for in clothing? Cabelas offers a wide variety of clothing at a fraction of what Sitka is priced at. I assume you are looking for warmth, water resistance, wind resistance and durability... If you’re going to spend that money on high hunting clothing, then I would look into Simms, Orvis and Filson. Their customer service is unmatched. You could purchase multiple items from Cabelas or Columbia at the price for a Sitka jacket. I refuse to drink the kool-aid with Sitka.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293094 09/21/18 01:09 PM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I recently bought some Sitka gear. I bought the Apex pant and the Core heavyweight hoody for archery season. I didn't really own much camo clothing since I have always pretty much hunted from a blind, but since I will be in a tree stand for archery season I decided it was time to camo up.

What I like most about Sitka over all of the other brands I've tried on at Bass Pro and Academy is the way that they fit. I'm a relatively small framed guy and it seems that most other hunting clothes are made to fit loose and baggy. The Sitka pants fit like my jeans do, so they are extremely comfortable. I spent over 70 hours in my blind last season and I decided that this season if I was going to be out there for that many hours again, I am going to be comfortable!

As far as their scent control capabilities or thermal properties to regulate temperature, time will tell. I have not used them in the field yet, but their stuff appears to be very well made and I expect that these clothes will last me for years to come. As I mentioned, their stuff is not very loose fitting, but there is still room for base layers, though they will need to be thinner, so I suppose my next purchase will need to be some good quality merino wool.

The general gist of these type of clothes is that you can still be plenty warm without all of the bulk, but it comes at a price. I'm finding that a good set of merino wool base layers isn't much cheaper than the Sitka gear, but now I'm in too deep, so I might as well bite the bullet.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293109 09/21/18 01:31 PM
B
brucedonnovan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I've had my bib from Academy for 8 years and it has held up really well, kept me warm and it's comfortable. Unless you're going to some really extreme temperatures, there are plenty of options that will work. I paid about 75 for it.

I've also had my boots from Walmart for 8 years and they have been great too. They cost $60.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Pintail711] #7293151 09/21/18 02:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Sitka gear is absolutely not worth the hype. What exactly are you looking for in clothing? Cabelas offers a wide variety of clothing at a fraction of what Sitka is priced at. I assume you are looking for warmth, water resistance, wind resistance and durability... If you’re going to spend that money on high hunting clothing, then I would look into Simms, Orvis and Filson. Their customer service is unmatched. You could purchase multiple items from Cabelas or Columbia at the price for a Sitka jacket. I refuse to drink the kool-aid with Sitka.

Not an apples to apples comparisons in the above.

I’m not saying a lessor Technical product won’t get the job done, just not apples to apples. Only product Columbia has that competes with Sitka is in Sitka’s casual line. Goretex Shake dry is a knocknoff of Columbia’s outdry extreme.

Better compassion is to Mountain Hardware, Mamot, OR, Arc’teryx etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293172 09/21/18 02:23 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
As others have said, it depends on how you hunt. If you're hunting out of a box blind you should save your money for something else. If you're bow hunting or spot and stalk then I would say head to your local Cabelas or Bass Pro and try them on. If you like it, buy it. Personally, I recently purchased some new camo and I just couldn't bring myself to fork over the cash for Sitka. I ended up waiting for the end of the season and picked out a great Cabelas brand layering system for less than half the price from the clearance rack. The layer that touches your skin is key. I have three different base layers for different environments (really cold, cold, chilly). I find this helps me keep the bulk down.

If your worried about camo pattern (meh)... I've spot n stalked with old Marine Corps camo with success so I wouldn't put any stock in that.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: richard-ssv] #7293179 09/21/18 02:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: richard-ssv
I recently bought some Sitka gear. I bought the Apex pant and the Core heavyweight hoody for archery season. I didn't really own much camo clothing since I have always pretty much hunted from a blind, but since I will be in a tree stand for archery season I decided it was time to camo up.

What I like most about Sitka over all of the other brands I've tried on at Bass Pro and Academy is the way that they fit. I'm a relatively small framed guy and it seems that most other hunting clothes are made to fit loose and baggy. The Sitka pants fit like my jeans do, so they are extremely comfortable. I spent over 70 hours in my blind last season and I decided that this season if I was going to be out there for that many hours again, I am going to be comfortable!

As far as their scent control capabilities or thermal properties to regulate temperature, time will tell. I have not used them in the field yet, but their stuff appears to be very well made and I expect that these clothes will last me for years to come. As I mentioned, their stuff is not very loose fitting, but there is still room for base layers, though they will need to be thinner, so I suppose my next purchase will need to be some good quality merino wool.

The general gist of these type of clothes is that you can still be plenty warm without all of the bulk, but it comes at a price. I'm finding that a good set of merino wool base layers isn't much cheaper than the Sitka gear, but now I'm in too deep, so I might as well bite the bullet.

Kuiu and Firstlite have better merino products then Sitka. Plus Kuiu offers side Zip off merino base bottoms. I highly recommend side zip off base bottoms.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7293186 09/21/18 02:32 PM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I'm looking at some merino wool base layers from WoolX. I really just need a heavyweight set for late season. They're around $100 each for top and bottom.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: richard-ssv] #7293209 09/21/18 02:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I'm looking at some merino wool base layers from WoolX. I really just need a heavyweight set for late season. They're around $100 each for top and bottom.

Ya Kuiu is $99 for 210 weight bottoms and 210 weight top is $109.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293246 09/21/18 03:18 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
As others have said really depends what you're doing. Their rain gear and Kuiu is the best I've seen. I returned a Cabela's Waterproof Rain Jacket because it was not waterproof. Hard lesson to learn being soaked to the bone on a three day hunt. My Sitka has been through down pours/wet boat rides and has kept me dry as a bone. Sitting in a blind, I would probably look somewhere else and spend the savings on something else you need/want. Old jeans and base layers for me if I'm in a blind with a black jacket/sweatshirt on top depending on the weather.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293261 09/21/18 03:33 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Checkout camofire.com for some great discounts on Sitka or other merino thermals.
I have lots of Sitka and love every bit of it.

God is deep but he is not complicated.
Re: Sitka Gear [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7293263 09/21/18 03:36 PM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

The WoolX ones I'm looking at are 400 weight.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: richard-ssv] #7293273 09/21/18 03:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

The WoolX ones I'm looking at are 400 weight.

That’s heavy!!! Not sure you wouldn’t be better off with synthetic at that weight

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293289 09/21/18 03:54 PM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
This is specifically for late season. I have some other base layers that aren't so heavy. There was one day last season where I lasted 2 hours because of the cold, so I'm looking for something that will cover all of my bases.

Re: Sitka Geark [Re: richard-ssv] #7293320 09/21/18 04:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
This is specifically for late season. I have some other base layers that aren't so heavy. There was one day last season where I lasted 2 hours because of the cold, so I'm looking for something that will cover all of my bases.

Should be perfect then. Micron 17-18.x is soft also

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Pintail711] #7293334 09/21/18 04:37 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Just wondering of you have any Sitka? Simms , Orvis and Filson make good stuff but for our hunting Sitka works much better. Too bad Core4element is not still around. They had great clothing we still wear.

Find the Sitka closeouts from last year or watch Camofire. Deals can be had. It is lightweight and warm. The wind resistant really helps with the warmth. Materials are quiet, works well for archery hunting. We wear it all elk season.
I wore Sitka pants and had fleece long johns for my near zero bison hunt in Jackson. Didn't get cold at all and the lighter weight of the clothing makes for longer, easier days in the field if needed. I have a KOM wool coat that is also great but heavy. It was my upper body protection on that hunt.
The clothing has lasted us for a few years now, we have 2 styles of pants, lightweight and heavier fleece lined. Merino layers are a must and their fleece layers are also good.
The knee pads in the pants are a game changer for us.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Wytex] #7293900 09/22/18 01:55 AM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Wytex

Just wondering of you have any Sitka? Simms , Orvis and Filson make good stuff but for our hunting Sitka works much better. Too bad Core4element is not still around. They had great clothing we still wear.

Find the Sitka closeouts from last year or watch Camofire. Deals can be had. It is lightweight and warm. The wind resistant really helps with the warmth. Materials are quiet, works well for archery hunting. We wear it all elk season.
I wore Sitka pants and had fleece long johns for my near zero bison hunt in Jackson. Didn't get cold at all and the lighter weight of the clothing makes for longer, easier days in the field if needed. I have a KOM wool coat that is also great but heavy. It was my upper body protection on that hunt.
The clothing has lasted us for a few years now, we have 2 styles of pants, lightweight and heavier fleece lined. Merino layers are a must and their fleece layers are also good.
The knee pads in the pants are a game changer for us.

Im not buying into their stuff. I’ve tried it on, but you’re not going to convince me it is worth the price. Not to mention, everyone and their brother wears it.

Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7293968 09/22/18 03:34 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I guess I’m the exception not the rule, also my guess is that most people saying it’s not worth it, and too expensive have never worn sitkas clothing. I for one really like my Sitka gear, a couple guys on my lease turned me on to it. I was just like many who posted saying I’ll never pay that much for a jacket and pants but after trying it, I’ll never go back. Less layering and more comfort means sitting in my tree stands longer.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Sitka Gear [Re: Texan Medic] #7294040 09/22/18 12:31 PM
C
CB09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I bought my first Sitka gear last year with a jacket and pants and now i will not look back. Love the gear and like most have said so much more comfortable b/c of less layering. Just ordered another couple shirts last night.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide