Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ozonics #7291560 09/19/18 07:24 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Has anyone had experience with the Ozonics unit? Obviously see it on hunting shows at least 47 times on any episode, but some of their footage is pretty convincing.

Thinking about getting my pops one, but they arent cheap and curious to hear if yall think its worth it.

https://www.ozonicshunting.com/

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7291604 09/19/18 08:06 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
One of the hunters I know bought one last year. He was the guy that would always get busted no matter what scent protection he used. He got the Ozonics unit, and he said he hadn't been busted since. It puts out a layer of ozone around you. It's not the healthiest way to hunt, though. I was thinking about getting one since I get busted often.

The product I used A LOT last year was the Nose Jammer stuff. That stuff is awesome. It's nothing but overloaded scent! I did have deer raise their heads in the air smelling the scent, and they certainly knew something was there. But not me. I had some come in close, but no detection of me.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Ozonics [Re: ChadTRG42] #7291612 09/19/18 08:13 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
One of the hunters I know bought one last year. He was the guy that would always get busted no matter what scent protection he used. He got the Ozonics unit, and he said he hadn't been busted since. It puts out a layer of ozone around you. It's not the healthiest way to hunt, though. I was thinking about getting one since I get busted often.

The product I used A LOT last year was the Nose Jammer stuff. That stuff is awesome. It's nothing but overloaded scent! I did have deer raise their heads in the air smelling the scent, and they certainly knew something was there. But not me. I had some come in close, but no detection of me.

Thank you sir!

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7291676 09/19/18 09:25 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
ive heard good things on nose jammer as well, no knowledge on ozonics though.

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7291704 09/19/18 09:55 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I put ozonics in the category with the rest of the scent eliminators.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ray#Post7291400

Re: Ozonics [Re: Jgraider] #7291855 09/20/18 12:39 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

You never indicated in the other thread if you used it and found it ineffective. Have you actually used one? I have not so I prefer to not make assumptions about them until I do. I've heard favorable feedback about them. I have tried the Nose Jammer and it made me a believer in bow season. I hunted several spots where the wind was blowing from me to the deer. They could smell it because they kept looking in the direction where I sprayed it but never flagged, blew or panicked. Just gave it a bit more attention and then on about their business.

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 09/20/18 01:06 AM.
Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7291878 09/20/18 01:10 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I don’t think it works well when hunting in the open like from a tripod or tree stand if there is any kind of breeze. I think it works best in a box blind, but like Chad alluded to, you need to keep a window or two open. You can tell if you breathe in the ozone as it irritates your throat.

Re: Ozonics [Re: soonersorlaters] #7291897 09/20/18 01:36 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

You never indicated in the other thread if you used it and found it ineffective. Have you actually used one? I have not so I prefer to not make assumptions about them until I do. I've heard favorable feedback about them. I have tried the Nose Jammer and it made me a believer in bow season. I hunted several spots where the wind was blowing from me to the deer. They could smell it because they kept looking in the direction where I sprayed it but never flagged, blew or panicked. Just gave it a bit more attention and then on about their business.

I told you in the linked thread that I had a buddy in MT that trained dogs for the canine units up there, and everything he tested including ozonics was a failure. That's all I need to know. I've been hunting big game for 46 years and never used any of it, and like your example I have hunted where my scent was blown right at the deer/aoudad, etc and sometimes they spooked into the next county, sometimes they didn't care. I believe it's all a gimmick. Someone mentioned seeing it on TV shows. Have you ever noticed, even though they push and market the stuff for their sponsors, that they still wait to hunt certain stand because the wind is wrong. They admit it.

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7291905 09/20/18 01:43 AM
B
Bigfoot Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Using ozone as a scent eliminator must be a gimmick in other industries also.

Ozone is used on other commercial applications so no it isnt a gimmick it does eat the odor away. it its science. I dont own one personally just saying ozone eliminates scent. FACT

GO TRUMP!
Re: Ozonics [Re: Jgraider] #7291924 09/20/18 02:00 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

I told you in the linked thread that I had a buddy in MT that trained dogs for the canine units up there, and everything he tested including ozonics was a failure. That's all I need to know. I've been hunting big game for 46 years and never used any of it, and like your example I have hunted where my scent was blown right at the deer/aoudad, etc and sometimes they spooked into the next county, sometimes they didn't care. I believe it's all a gimmick. Someone mentioned seeing it on TV shows. Have you ever noticed, even though they push and market the stuff for their sponsors, that they still wait to hunt certain stand because the wind is wrong. They admit it.

Fair enough. I hear many things from trusted resources on certain topics but I'm a subscriber of first hand experience. I remember when my mom told me not to touch that stove because it was hot. That wasn't good enough for me. But she was right! smile

Re: Ozonics [Re: Jgraider] #7291995 09/20/18 03:24 AM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

Yup...pretty much.

Ozone does have its merits, but when used in an area that isn't enclosed, its not going to affect nearly all the scent you are putting off.....

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7292043 09/20/18 10:39 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
For all of those that subscribe to the scent blocking madness; what do you do about your breath? (Not assuming that you have bad breath, it is just something that has human scent like anything else that comes from you body)
I can understand trying to eliminate the scent radiating from your skin, but what about the several cubic feet of air that you are pumping from your lungs constantly? This has got to be far more of a concern than any scent coming from your clothing.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Ozonics [Re: Simple Searcher] #7292098 09/20/18 12:21 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
For all of those that subscribe to the scent blocking madness; what do you do about your breath? (Not assuming that you have bad breath, it is just something that has human scent like anything else that comes from you body)
I can understand trying to eliminate the scent radiating from your skin, but what about the several cubic feet of air that you are pumping from your lungs constantly? This has got to be far more of a concern than any scent coming from your clothing.

This is exactly why I don't use sprays while bowhunting. But I do use an Ozonics machine. Ive used one for several years now and in certain situations they work very well.

Re: Ozonics [Re: Simple Searcher] #7292141 09/20/18 01:06 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

EXACTAMUNDO!

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7292149 09/20/18 01:12 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Get em used to wintergreen snuff and they'll never smell you again. Just sprinkle some around your tripod before you climb up up

Re: Ozonics [Re: Simple Searcher] #7292177 09/20/18 01:54 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Nose Jammer.

Re: Ozonics [Re: Bigfoot] #7292189 09/20/18 02:06 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Using ozone as a scent eliminator must be a gimmick in other industries also.

Ozone is used on other commercial applications so no it isnt a gimmick it does eat the odor away. it its science. I dont own one personally just saying ozone eliminates scent. FACT

I agree with you...Ozone works really well and is an extremely powerful oxidizer. There isn't a microorganism that can survive ozonation.

The problem with Ozonics is the application method. You won't be able to produce enough ozone molecules in an open air environment to eliminate enough of your scent to make a difference. At the concentrations that would be necessary to achieve total scent elimination would cause respiratory problems and the hunter would be coughing the entire time due to the irritation ozone cause to your lung tissues.

In order for it to work best you would need to be in a fully enclosed air tight blind with one window opening where scent escapes (shooting window). The ozone generator would need to be delivered in such a way that all the air escaping from the blind through the shooting window would pass through a 'curtain' of ozonated gas. If you could set up a blind in such a manner then you would get great scent elimination.

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7292208 09/20/18 02:26 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Common sense has worked since the beginning of time, it is also a lot cheaper.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ozonics [Re: mattyg06] #7292423 09/20/18 06:27 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

The problem with Ozonics is the application method. You won't be able to produce enough ozone molecules in an open air environment to eliminate enough of your scent to make a difference. At the concentrations that would be necessary to achieve total scent elimination would cause respiratory problems and the hunter would be coughing the entire time due to the irritation ozone cause to your lung tissues.

In order for it to work best you would need to be in a fully enclosed air tight blind with one window opening where scent escapes (shooting window). The ozone generator would need to be delivered in such a way that all the air escaping from the blind through the shooting window would pass through a 'curtain' of ozonated gas. If you could set up a blind in such a manner then you would get great scent elimination.

Even passing through a curtain of ozone may not be sufficient. Exposure time is very important as this is not an instantaneous process. Also, the amount of ozone in the curtain would need to be extremely high, much higher than what you would be getting from an ozonics machine. In short, for ozone to be effective, you want high concentration and duration. Wafting some ozone over offending molecules is likely to have minimal affect. Also, when humidity goes up, Ozone production decreases. Ozone scent elimination works best when humidity levels are below 60% and commercially this is usually done with dehumidifiers or HVAC systems inside of buildings. Exteriorly, it is hard to control.

One thing I have noticed about commercial ozone eliminators/companies, they treat interiors or things that are encapsulated. They don't treat things out in the open. Say a skunk sprayed your car and you call one of these companies. Are they going to take their ozone machine and waft some air over your car and give it back to you? No, they are going to encapsulate it and treat it for hours.

So I fail to see how an underpowered ozone generator that disperses a low concentration of ozone down wind of you is really going to have any actual or significant impact on odor aside from the fact that it will generate a lot of ozone odor.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7292457 09/20/18 07:14 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Really appreciate yall's input, very helpful. Think I'm leaning towards just having some Nose-Jammer handy if the wind shifts unfavorably.

Last season, we had an abnormal amount of days with a westerly wind, which I couldnt recall having to deal with much the last 3-4 yrs prior. With both mine and my dads blind, that wind poses a serious problem. I only heard a deer bust me once, but I consider my particular blind a pretty prime spot, and just wasnt able to hunt it much at all last year in fear of pushing stuff out.

My impression of how the Ozonics system worked is that it would just blow with your scent and ultimately cancel out the major scent out that one gives off(?).

Had no idea it could potentially be harmful

Re: Ozonics [Re: dogcatcher] #7292469 09/20/18 07:39 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Common sense has worked since the beginning of time, it is also a lot cheaper.

Re: Ozonics [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7292470 09/20/18 07:41 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Even passing through a curtain of ozone may not be sufficient. Exposure time is very important as this is not an instantaneous process. Also, the amount of ozone in the curtain would need to be extremely high, much higher than what you would be getting from an ozonics machine. In short, for ozone to be effective, you want high concentration and duration. Wafting some ozone over offending molecules is likely to have minimal affect. Also, when humidity goes up, Ozone production decreases. Ozone scent elimination works best when humidity levels are below 60% and commercially this is usually done with dehumidifiers or HVAC systems inside of buildings. Exteriorly, it is hard to control.

One thing I have noticed about commercial ozone eliminators/companies, they treat interiors or things that are encapsulated. They don't treat things out in the open. Say a skunk sprayed your car and you call one of these companies. Are they going to take their ozone machine and waft some air over your car and give it back to you? No, they are going to encapsulate it and treat it for hours.

So I fail to see how an underpowered ozone generator that disperses a low concentration of ozone down wind of you is really going to have any actual or significant impact on odor aside from the fact that it will generate a lot of ozone odor.

I 100% agree with your last statement which is the bottom line. But since I am a science minded guy I am going to add a bit to the science behind ozone.

Actually ozonation is almost a spontaneous process given enough concentration. For instance E.Coli is killed by 2ppm ozone in one sec. The ozone unit I have on order produces 10-88 ppm which is easily enough concentration to kill sent molecules basically instantaneously. When treating a tooth you can easily waft ozone into the tooth and get disinfection in under 5-10 seconds. But I am also talking about treating an area that is only 1 cubic centimeter using 30-50 ppm ozone.

The problem is I can't find the concentration of ozone produced by the ozonics units anywhere.

The interesting part of the ozonics manual is the 'boost' mode. The below quote is from the ozonics website. If you read it says to use the 'boost' mode in an open air environment. The boost mode increases the fan speed to move more air.

There is only one problem with their statement.... boost mode would actually decrease the ozone concentration due to an increased volume of air passing over the electric coil.

Look at the concentration chart below from the my unit on the way. When you increase the air flow from 1/32 liters/minute oxygen to 3/4 liters/min oxygen you get a corresponding decrease in ozone generated. All ozone generators work in this manner. The more air flow over the coils the less ozone produced. So by using an Ozonics in boost mode as they recommended you would actually be producing less ozone and getting worse results than the standard mode.

Quote:
CHOOSE BETWEEN STANDARD (STD) OR BOOST MODE: The HR200 features a “Mode” button, which will change Ozone
output from STD to Boost. When the HR200 unit is turned on, the unit first starts in STD setting. To change to Boost,
push the Mode button and release. The “BOOST” indicator will illuminate. You will hear an increase in the fan speed as it
goes into Boost mode. Pressing the Mode button again will toggle back to STD setting and the “STD” indicator will
illuminate. The Boost mode was designed and is recommended for hunting in a treestand or other open-air environment.

Re: Ozonics [Re: DirtNapTET] #7292583 09/20/18 10:13 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Really appreciate yall's input, very helpful. Think I'm leaning towards just having some Nose-Jammer handy if the wind shifts unfavorably.

Last season, we had an abnormal amount of days with a westerly wind, which I couldnt recall having to deal with much the last 3-4 yrs prior. With both mine and my dads blind, that wind poses a serious problem. I only heard a deer bust me once, but I consider my particular blind a pretty prime spot, and just wasnt able to hunt it much at all last year in fear of pushing stuff out.

My impression of how the Ozonics system worked is that it would just blow with your scent and ultimately cancel out the major scent out that one gives off(?).

Had no idea it could potentially be harmful

I personally got busted both times I tried the nose jammer last year. I think the strong vanilla scent brings curious deer down wind of you more than without it. I've seen the Ozonics work several times for me. When I first got it I would fill the pop up blind with ozone and never coughed or had any problems. I do now point it out the window. I do agree its less effective in tree stands but if its covering 50% of your scent that's 100% better than anything else I have tried. Unless every stand you have backs up to a cliff hunting the wind doesn't always work.

Re: Ozonics [Re: Simple Searcher] #7292664 09/20/18 11:22 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

I think deer like the smell of hops.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Ozonics [Re: ChrisB] #7292822 09/21/18 01:57 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I've seen the Ozonics work several times for me. When I first got it I would fill the pop up blind with ozone and never coughed or had any problems. I do now point it out the window. I do agree its less effective in tree stands but if its covering 50% of your scent that's 100% better than anything else I have tried. Unless every stand you have backs up to a cliff hunting the wind doesn't always work.

The reason why you weren't coughing is because the machines produces such a miniscule amount of ozone dispersed through too much air. The literature with the units do or did used to read that they are in compliance with OSHA, EPA, and, NIOSH which would mean that the machine is generating 0.1 ppm ozone or less. That is really low.

Quote:
Actually ozonation is almost a spontaneous process given enough concentration.

And there's the rub. That is why concentration and duration are critical. If you don't have high enough concentration, then you need sufficient duration for the low level of concentration to work. Every molecule of odor not touched a molecule or molecules of ozone are molecules that still have odor. That is why you can't just waft some ozone from a generator over something that smells and expect the smell to be gone.

E coli killed in 1 second? Sure, at 10-44 times the safe level of concentration. https://www.ozonesolutions.com/journal/2011/how-quickly-does-ozone-kill-bacteria/

So then the problem with the Ozonics is compounded by the fact that it is blowing a small stream of ozone out into the air, not where it is concentrating, but where it is dispersing. What few ozone molecules are potentially coming into contact with odor molecules are not apt to be remaining in contact for very long.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide