Page 1 of 2 1 2
Army Worms #7289327 09/17/18 08:35 PM
S
Stub Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
I have gotten two reports in Jack county that they are bad already, if you are thinking about planting you might want to hold off.

texas flag

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289330 09/17/18 08:44 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
they were roaming Gillespie Co. yesterday, they ate us up last year, waiting till mid October to plant.

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289333 09/17/18 08:48 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Same here in S.E. Louisiana. We need a drop in temperature bad to end the Army Worm season. Ninety-eight degrees today.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289509 09/17/18 11:52 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Stub
I have gotten two reports in Jack county that they are bad already, if you are thinking about planting you might want to hold off.

My buddy is right next to Jack in Montague and they had to plant their wheat twice last year. $$$$

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289521 09/18/18 12:01 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
This year with wet early summer then long dry period and not very wet again in my area is a recipe for army worms. I had them 3 or 4 yrs the first few days of November in my oats.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289935 09/18/18 11:42 AM
M
MWTX270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I don't have to worry about army worms, the hogs are completely destroying my fields. I finished planting last Friday, got 1/2" rain Friday night, thought I was looking pretty good. Went and checked my fields yesterday evening, and the hogs have rooted up 75% of them. Probably finished them off last night. On 12 acres, I planted 800 lbs wheat, 600 lbs oats, 50 lbs buckwheat, 50 lbs winter peas, and 20 lbs clover. ALL FOR NOT!!! I despise feral hogs.

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7289944 09/18/18 11:51 AM
M
Monkee Online Happy
Pro Tracker
Online Happy
Pro Tracker
M
Got Army Worms bad in Star Tx. Heard many reports around the Waco area. Bad deal this year.

Re: Army Worms [Re: stxranchman] #7290019 09/18/18 12:51 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
This year with wet early summer then long dry period and not very wet again in my area is a recipe for army worms. I had them 3 or 4 yrs the first few days of November in my oats.

Not sure how far south you are, but I know some areas of deep STX have them almost year round, they cycle pretty quick too.

Seeing a few around here for about a week, the big ones are the ones that eat the most just before going back into the ground to finish out, then it starts all over again if we don't get some cold. I don't think you can do a thing if you aren't ready when you seen them grown, need to catch them small to have more treatment options, hate the bastages.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7290495 09/18/18 07:55 PM
S
Stub Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
I have always waited until the last weekend of September or first weekend of October to plant.
Use to be only one reason for that, I did not want the plants coming up to soon and run into a long hot dry spell in late September and early October and burn them up.
Now it seems like the Army Worms are getting worse more often so now I am even more cautious of planting early.

Are there fall plants that the deer like and Army Worms will not bother?

texas flag

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7290577 09/18/18 09:23 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I plan on waiting; they ate everything last year. I used to not hear of them; it’s got to be Trump!

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7290987 09/19/18 09:20 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I'm waiting until it gets cool. I don't hunt my plots specifically, but I do want to see them last through the winter and into green up. A lot of time and money to let a bunch of moths eat. Your County Extension Service does a good job of monitoring them.

[Linked Image]
Re: Army Worms [Re: Western] #7291167 09/19/18 01:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western

Not sure how far south you are, but I know some areas of deep STX have them almost year round, they cycle pretty quick too.

Seeing a few around here for about a week, the big ones are the ones that eat the most just before going back into the ground to finish out, then it starts all over again if we don't get some cold. I don't think you can do a thing if you aren't ready when you seen them grown, need to catch them small to have more treatment options, hate the bastages.

I am 90 miles south of San Antonio and in my lifetime I can only think of one time we may have them before July. I had them in my yard here about 5 yrs ago now in early July on the Bermuda grass I had just planted. Most years it is after a long dry spell followed by extremely wet period in late Aug or into Sept. They will be here this year. I am not planting till mid October at the earliest this year. I have had them as late first week of November here about 3 yrs ago now.

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7291171 09/19/18 01:56 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yep, same song second verse. I lost all my food plots last year to them, so I'm waiting on a cold front before I plant this year.

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7291191 09/19/18 02:09 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
How cold are you thinking it needs to be before you feel safe planting? I know if Oklahoma there are army worms and army cutworms, apparently one is from the south and one is from the north and the army worm goes away during the winter but the cutworm doesn't. Haven't seen much damage from worms in my neck of the woods but don't really want to tempt them boogers either.

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7291201 09/19/18 02:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The older farmers and ranchers down here said 3 consecutive nights in the low 50's or cooler and you could plant.

Re: Army Worms [Re: stxranchman] #7291287 09/19/18 03:09 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I am 90 miles south of San Antonio and in my lifetime I can only think of one time we may have them before July. I had them in my yard here about 5 yrs ago now in early July on the Bermuda grass I had just planted. Most years it is after a long dry spell followed by extremely wet period in late Aug or into Sept. They will be here this year. I am not planting till mid October at the earliest this year. I have had them as late first week of November here about 3 yrs ago now.

I'd say that is very fortunate, they have a pretty quick cycle once the leave the ground, I just recall the Ag agent when came out to make recommendations dealing with these bastages, he said to count myself fortunate as the Southern part of STX can have developing worms year round if the weather is right.

I know the second time I had them bad, it would have been the 4th late cut, they took the field to stems, ag agent told me to deep disc or lite plow to turn the soil and expose the pupae in the ground, which I did. Not sure how much that disrupted them and its for Bermuda anyway, those blackbirds where in those fields for a week and they generally just fly over. Don't know if they where on the pupae or not, like to think they where, but that field came back twice as good the fallowing spring as coastal will do after a good discing.

The couple times they got on my oats/wheat, pretty much a loss by the time I caught it in those smaller plots.

You have a later planting date than me typically anyway, has to be at least a couple weeks or so?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Army Worms [Re: Western] #7291324 09/19/18 03:47 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I'd say that is very fortunate, they have a pretty quick cycle once the leave the ground, I just recall the Ag agent when came out to make recommendations dealing with these bastages, he said to count myself fortunate as the Southern part of STX can have developing worms year round if the weather is right.

I know the second time I had them bad, it would have been the 4th late cut, they took the field to stems, ag agent told me to deep disc or lite plow to turn the soil and expose the pupae in the ground, which I did. Not sure how much that disrupted them and its for Bermuda anyway, those blackbirds where in those fields for a week and they generally just fly over. Don't know if they where on the pupae or not, like to think they where, but that field came back twice as good the fallowing spring as coastal will do after a good discing.

The couple times they got on my oats/wheat, pretty much a loss by the time I caught it in those smaller plots.

You have a later planting date than me typically anyway, has to be at least a couple weeks or so?

They can and have taken oats or coastal pastures to the stem on me in the past. The worst was on coastal bermuda and all the neighbors got together and had a plane spray the pastures. I can tell they are in oats or coastal two ways...one is by sight if I see a "yellow" looking spot where they have stripped all the leaves off and the other is birds in the fields..mainly crows here were I am at. I have heard of people getting them in the spring but I have never seen it. I am waiting to see the moths flying around in numbers any day now.
I usually planted the last 2 weeks of Sept., but the last 2 yrs it was first week of October. This year I am waiting till mid October to put seed in the ground. It will take a week to be dry enough to skim the fields to get regrowth weeds and grass. Then drag the fields and roll them. I have a drill so I can plant deeper and that seems to help with army worms if I get them. The oats has a deeper root system to better moisture. I have been lucky to never have them kill an oat field out. One year I planted over the top of completely stripped field in a checkerboard pattern over the first planting after worms got it in early November. The first planting came back in full strength after a good rain when the second one came up. It was thick stand that year. I am lucky in that I can check my little deer plots daily to see if I need to spray.

Re: Army Worms [Re: stxranchman] #7291564 09/19/18 07:25 PM
S
Stub Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S

They can and have taken oats or coastal pastures to the stem on me in the past. The worst was on coastal bermuda and all the neighbors got together and had a plane spray the pastures. I can tell they are in oats or coastal two ways...one is by sight if I see a "yellow" looking spot where they have stripped all the leaves off and the other is birds in the fields..mainly crows here were I am at. I have heard of people getting them in the spring but I have never seen it. I am waiting to see the moths flying around in numbers any day now.
I usually planted the last 2 weeks of Sept., but the last 2 yrs it was first week of October. This year I am waiting till mid October to put seed in the ground. It will take a week to be dry enough to skim the fields to get regrowth weeds and grass. Then drag the fields and roll them. I have a drill so I can plant deeper and that seems to help with army worms if I get them. The oats has a deeper root system to better moisture. I have been lucky to never have them kill an oat field out. One year I planted over the top of completely stripped field in a checkerboard pattern over the first planting after worms got it in early November. The first planting came back in full strength after a good rain when the second one came up. It was thick stand that year. I am lucky in that I can check my little deer plots daily to see if I need to spray.

the only time I really like seeing Crows is when the are eating the larva. I have also seen those big red ants carry there larva off, not that many but every little bit helps.

I might go disc my field tomorrow and hope that disrupts them!

Last edited by Stub; 09/19/18 10:07 PM.

texas flag

Re: Army Worms [Re: stxranchman] #7291727 09/19/18 10:31 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
The older farmers and ranchers down here said 3 consecutive nights in the low 50's or cooler and you could plant.

Yep

[Linked Image]
Re: Army Worms [Re: Ranch Dog] #7292116 09/20/18 12:45 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

Yep

I hope thats right because the forecast calls for a low of 53 on the nights of September 29,30 and October 1, here in Texarkana. I planted last week.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7292238 09/20/18 02:57 PM
L
LTC Realty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Just got home from checking my food plot. Little 1/3 acre I planted with clover at the beginning of sept right before the rain. Last week clover was thick and beautiful, this morning not a single clover leaf left. Worms everywhere.

Look-To-Christ Real Estate.
Let me know if I can help you with any of your real estate needs!

Bryley Doucet
Ph: 469-261-1076
Email: Bryleydoucet@yahoo.com
Re: Army Worms [Re: LTC Realty] #7292698 09/20/18 11:59 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: LTC Realty
Just got home from checking my food plot. Little 1/3 acre I planted with clover at the beginning of sept right before the rain. Last week clover was thick and beautiful, this morning not a single clover leaf left. Worms everywhere.

Location?

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7292724 09/21/18 12:23 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I can remember them being bad back in the late 40's, devastated wheat before the cold weather set in

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7293235 09/21/18 03:04 PM
B
Birdman7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

Re: Army Worms [Re: Stub] #7293614 09/21/18 09:12 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content