Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,150
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 #7286822 09/14/18 07:22 PM
H
HansETX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Full review of the newest and least expensive in the Pulsar Helion Series of Handheld Thermal Monoculars... the Pulsar Helion XQ28. This thermal monocular has been my crutch for the past two months..

Features of the Pulsar Helion XQ28:
- Internal Video Recorder
- 384 x 288 Thermal Core Resolution
- Rechargeable Battery Pack
- 17 Micron
- 2.3 - 9.2x magnification
- 8 Color Palettes
- Wifi capable

HansETX on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/hansetx
"The Late Night Vision Show" Podcast | All Things Night Vision- Available on iTunes, Google Play, iHeart Radio, YouTube
https://www.thelatenightvisionshow.com
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7287356 09/15/18 01:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't know why these things aren't flying off the shelves, the whole Helion line for that matter. This is a really nifty product.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7287573 09/15/18 07:30 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I don't know why these things aren't flying off the shelves, the whole Helion line for that matter. This is a really nifty product.

Just a guess, but the price tag is probably a pretty big factor.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: Toxarch] #7287677 09/15/18 10:14 PM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

Yes, I can think of about 2200 reasons that a viewer is not flying off of the shelf...

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7287759 09/15/18 11:57 PM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I have the xq30f helion for a good quality thermal monocular 2200$ is a great deal you have to pay for quality toys .

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: KK30RAR] #7288070 09/16/18 01:55 PM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: KK30RAR
I have the xq30f helion for a good quality thermal monocular 2200$ is a great deal you have to pay for quality toys .

What KK said!
Blows my HD19A away with image quality and features.
Buy once, cry once.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7288603 09/17/18 01:40 AM
easttxhoghunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have an XQ30 also and really like it.

NRA Life Member
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: Toxarch] #7288976 09/17/18 03:10 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

No doubt that cost is a factor, but Helions are among the most budget priced spotters. People use a variety of scopes for spotting and some use night vision that is even more expensive that isn't as good for spotting as a thermal is. So in terms of pricing and utility, these should be at the top of buying list of spotters for night hunters.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7289472 09/17/18 11:22 PM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Why wouldn't someone want to use something like the RXQ30V as a monocular and then slap it on gun when targets are spotted, you get 2 for 1. Yes its at the low end of the pole but for having fun and playing around, it works fine for me without going out of pocket another 3-5K. Just asking

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: waterandwoods] #7289677 09/18/18 01:28 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: jr22dad
Why wouldn't someone want to use something like the RXQ30V as a monocular and then slap it on gun when targets are spotted, you get 2 for 1. Yes its at the low end of the pole but for having fun and playing around, it works fine for me without going out of pocket another 3-5K. Just asking
. I sure thought about doing just that but a came across a scream of a deal on a xq30f for 1400$ couldn’t pass it up .

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7289742 09/18/18 02:09 AM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
^^^^ Well heck no. I only do it cuz my wife likes looking through it also. When we are sitting up on top of our hunting buggy, it would be too much for her to scan the fields and pastures with scope mounted. I figure I may get a second one, with her blessing of course, if she continues to enjoy it. Her and I have only gotten to go together twice. My hunting buddy, who trolls me on here all the time, LOL, and I have had fun with it, But one of us has to hit spotlight to see them to shoot. It can be quite comical. Objects are much closer than they appear is all i will say. LOL

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: waterandwoods] #7290563 09/18/18 09:01 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker

You're question is valid but if I'm reading it correctly, you're not asking why someone wouldn't just buy an RXQ30V as a handheld and backup scope combo but by reading your last line, you're asking why someone would spend $3,000-$5,000 on a scope at all. I'm a huge fan of the RXQ30V but a lot of guys are willing to spend more money to get better image quality, a focus-objective, video recording capabilities, possibly more magnification etc. I understand your sentiment though, but some guys like heated and cooled leather seats, some like cloth and some like vinyl. And for a lot of us (me included) what we like and what can afford are often different.haha grin

I also think you were sort of asking about using the RXQ30V (or another scope) as a combo handheld/rifle scope, there are definitely a lot of guys doing that. But it's honestly not ideal and if someone can afford it, there are a lot of benefits to owning both a dedicated handheld and a dedicated rifle scope. Hans and I talked about this in depth on Ep. 15 of The Late Night Vision Show podcast. I'm definitely not knocking it if that's what your budget allows but if you can afford a dedicated handheld, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Now the 3rd thing that's often brought up is, "why not just buy an RXQ30V (or PTS233) and use it as a handheld and if you have a buddy come hunting with you, mount it up and let him use it." That's definitely another option. I've sold a lot of RXQ30V's to be used an handhelds and also used as buddy scope if someone tags along.

But for a lot of people they aren't worried about taking a buddy or someone else hunting and if they are going to spend $2,000+ they just prefer to spend it on the tool that is going to work best for their own needs and not try to improvise. I don't mean that to come off snide, I'm just explaining from their point of view. So let's say you have thermal and you really want a handheld. You're spending your own dollars and you can buy an RXQ30V for $1,900 to use as a handheld. It will work but the buttons aren't ergonomically contoured for you to control it by gripping around the scope with your hand. It doesn't have a focus-able objective lens, no battery pack and no video recording, plus you aren't taking many people hunting with you that don't own their own NV. Or you can spend $2,200 and buy the Helion XQ28 that has a much better image quality, focus-able objective, perfectly contoured to your hands, ergo buttons, video recording, 6-8 hour battery life and an adjustable hand strap. It really just depends on what you want...if you want to be a super nice guy and invite your buddies to hunt with you the RXQ is the logical choice and can improvise on the handheld part. But if you want the tool that works best for the job and you aren't concerned about taking other people hunting all the time....a dedicated handheld makes the most sense.

I hope that helps and again, I totally understand not everyone can afford a dedicated handheld, but if you can, it's a super tool.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: waterandwoods] #7290587 09/18/18 09:33 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

That is exactly what I do with my FLIR PTS233. Comes with a ADM QD mount already. I mounted it and sighted it in one time. I take it on and off my gun several times a hunt. Just put a little keeper that marks what slot it needs to be in. This keeper is raised so I can do it in pitch black in the field just by feel and where the keeper is located on my rail. Works perfect for me. I scan until I find an animal and then two levers I'm on the gun with my shooting stick and stalking.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7290727 09/19/18 12:36 AM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
You did read my last line wrong. I do understand why someone would spend 3-5 on a scope, because they can and they want to. I am a firm believer in paying for what you get. They probly also do it a lot more then me. Maybe my question should have been more clear in that, does it sound realistic to do what I am doing with it. To clarify, I have never held a monocular designed exactly for that. The RXQ30V is the first thermal I have ever looked through. If and when the time is right, i will consider something nicer. I have no desire right now to record or have all the bells and whistles while I am exploring another whim. If I was using 3-4 nights a week or guiding, sure I can see the benefits of higher quality. Your answers are valid when talking of about the ergonomics involved in a monocular of which i hadn't even thought about. There again, you are in the business and I am not. I'm just a squirrel trying to catch a nut. Your info is well received and I will definitely keep the information handy. I will need another before long since my wife likes to hijack mine.

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: KRoyal] #7290731 09/19/18 12:38 AM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Thank you. I was wondering if anyone else did what i was describing or if I was just trying to be cheap while experimenting

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: waterandwoods] #7292000 09/20/18 03:28 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks jr22dad! I want to be clear....I have a ton of customers using their single thermal scope as a handheld and a rifle scope and swapping it back and forth. And as it sounds like you well know, taking your scope off and on your rifle is a lot better than having to hold your rifle up all night. What you are doing is called common sense and good ol' ingenuity.

I completely understand that the vast majority of people don't have the desire and/or the spare money to dump a few thousand into a separate thermal handheld monocular. If I didn't use thermal every night here on my own property and I just hunted a few times a month during the cool months, I probably wouldn't spend my money on one either.

I definitely believe everyone needs to do what's best for their needs and their budget. The RXQ30V is a great scope and I've killed a bunch of hogs with it, nothing wrong with it at all!

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: HansETX] #7294856 09/23/18 02:08 PM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Maybe next time I'm up in Nac, i will holler at you and you can demo some of the higher end for me to show me what I'm missing. I'd enjoy it for sure.

Re: Pulsar's Newest and Least Expensive Helion Thermal Monocular.. the XQ28 [Re: waterandwoods] #7295493 09/24/18 03:24 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I'd be glad to, just give me a heads up and you can come out to my farm one night and we test some optics out.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide