Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,513
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7333087 10/31/18 03:58 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I dont have a doe tag this year so i will be hunting pigs instead. I made a trip out to the honey hole about 2 weeks ago to see if any pigs were hanging around but i didnt see any at all. Wind was completely wrong for that location but i went down there anyway since some other guys were already in my other spot. I sat from 5 till dark and right about pig 30 i had a doe come up behind me and started barking at me. She was barking for 5 minutes running away. Oh well at least i saw something.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: Bigfoot] #7333253 10/31/18 06:09 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I dont have a doe tag this year so i will be hunting pigs instead. I made a trip out to the honey hole about 2 weeks ago to see if any pigs were hanging around but i didnt see any at all. Wind was completely wrong for that location but i went down there anyway since some other guys were already in my other spot. I sat from 5 till dark and right about pig 30 i had a doe come up behind me and started barking at me. She was barking for 5 minutes running away. Oh well at least i saw something.

Thats the truth. Nothing worse (well, plenty worst but still) than sitting in a stand for 4 hours and not seeing so much as a raccoon .

Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7333443 10/31/18 08:33 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
That sounds awesome bigfoot! Well....I guess not really, since you don't have that doe tag smirk I have not been able to make it out to the spot I visited a few times last year, got access to 2.9ac of private that share a border with the park. Scouted the park out around there, definitely no signs of deer, but saw signs of hog all over. Still will probably visit that spot come opener, don't have much else at the moment! Almost feel like I'm wasting my time, since I haven't had the proper time to scout it and find good signs, but...any time out in SHNF is a good time. That's what I'll tell myself.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7333458 10/31/18 08:47 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I'm debating just ground blinding the morning and evening, and hiking around during the mid day portions just to try and kick up a doe

Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7334937 11/02/18 12:23 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: SenkoSamurai
I'm debating just ground blinding the morning and evening, and hiking around during the mid day portions just to try and kick up a doe

That is a good way to learn a lot about your area.

My first year or 2 in the woods I was really just wandering around like a lost puppy trying different spots until I finally stumbled in to an area that I started seeing animals. A lot of animals. After that I just hung out in that area moving around to different set up/ground blind spots every year based on where the animals are moving through. Now I know the area like the back of my hand. All I can do is get myself in to a spot with lots of shooting lanes and where I can see and hear animals coming from a distance. That is hard to do but the more time you spend down there the easier things get. I also try to find spots accessible mostly by trails. The quieter you can get in that spot the better.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: brianaustintx] #7334945 11/02/18 12:27 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: brianaustintx
That sounds awesome bigfoot! Well....I guess not really, since you don't have that doe tag smirk I have not been able to make it out to the spot I visited a few times last year, got access to 2.9ac of private that share a border with the park. Scouted the park out around there, definitely no signs of deer, but saw signs of hog all over. Still will probably visit that spot come opener, don't have much else at the moment! Almost feel like I'm wasting my time, since I haven't had the proper time to scout it and find good signs, but...any time out in SHNF is a good time. That's what I'll tell myself.

Then pour a ton of corn on the private land to try and draw some deer in. I wouldnt doubt it if you have some deer also. Personally I would be ecstatic if I found a bunch of hog signs. Time to go blastin!!!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: Bigfoot] #7335243 11/02/18 03:54 AM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Then pour a ton of corn on the private land to try and draw some deer in. I wouldnt doubt it if you have some deer also. Personally I would be ecstatic if I found a bunch of hog signs. Time to go blastin!!!

Haha, that is EXACTLY what I did. Land owner gave me the thumbs up. So, I dumped some corn, attractant, and left a mineral lick. Have two cameras setup as well, watching the pile.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: Sam Houston WMA Antlerless Permit [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7336858 11/04/18 12:07 AM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Well...I might have received a better sign...definitely no hog. But only got these images one night. Right on the border between private and SHNF.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide