Page 1 of 2 1 2
Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land #7284062 09/12/18 01:30 AM
B
BlackSnake Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
So I thought I'd get a quick dove hunt in. First bird came in, one shot one bird. I walked around to retrieve him and I heard a distant buzzing sound. At first I thought electrical and then running water. I got to thinking that it sounded a lot like a giant swarm of bees but brushed it off a bit. This sound is no more that 100 yards from me. The sound started heading north through the trees I believe and I thought maybe a electric powered 4 wheeler. I walked about 20 yards and suddenly started getting attacked. It wasn't many. I believe I caught some stragglers but was stung about 5 times. These were much bigger than the usual honey bees. About 3 times the size. They finally quit attacking me but I could still hear the swarm even about 3 hundred yards away. When I got back to my truck I met up with another hunter. I asked him where he was hunting and he was right in the path of where they were headed. I told him what happened and asked if he heard them. He said yes, but he thought it was a 4 wheeler and it was approaching dark. I'm assuming he was thinking like me and thought electric 4 wheeler. This was in the fields where you enter at Cleveland Gibbs. Please please be careful. If you hear the buzzing sound and you cant make out the sound... get the hell out immediately. This is a very large group of killer bees. I will call the Rangers tomorrow to let them know.

Last edited by BlackSnake; 09/12/18 02:19 AM.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284101 09/12/18 02:16 AM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Wow, I can not run fast anymore. They would've had a field day with me.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284104 09/12/18 02:19 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Not killer bees as they are the same size. Probably a swarm of ground hornets. Or an underground hive of Africans and they just seemed bigger when they were biting you!
Either way that sucks for sure.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: nocknload] #7284109 09/12/18 02:25 AM
B
BlackSnake Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Same here. I was very lucky to have caught a few stragglers and not the whole swarm. I can tell you this too. I'm not allergic to much of anything and have very little reaction to stings at best. These dudes have left lumps on me and I have a little stiffness.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: huntwest] #7284112 09/12/18 02:27 AM
B
BlackSnake Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Huntwest, I'll take your word for it. I'm no expert by no means. It's the only explanation I could come up with

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284131 09/12/18 02:41 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I know they are no joke.

Lost a dog last year do to africanized bees. We had them build a hive on the 2nd floor of the house.

Like a fool I put the latter up there, climbed up and started spraying.

Shimmed down the later like i was on a Navy ship in WWII. Was standing on the other side of the street and still got stung.

Needless to say I called in a bee remover and got my education.

Honey bees like their hives close to the ground. The more aggressive African bees like their high up. They really don't produce honey but just enough to feed the hive. They then seek out other hives and take over.

Burn them all with fire.

Glad you're ok.

[Linked Image]
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284136 09/12/18 02:43 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have had them fly by me before but never attack. Can hear them with hearing protection on. I was banging metal in the ground that must have attracted them.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284146 09/12/18 02:52 AM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284312 09/12/18 12:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have a friend who has a ranch in NW Gillespie county who had Africanized Honey Bees on his place last year in a tree. He had a dozer and operator working over July 4th weekend when he hit a hollow tree with some other brush he was pushing. No cab on the dozer and they came after him. He was a younger man so he was able to run and about 600 yards later they finally stopped attacking him. He had just over 100 stings and they took him to ER to be checked and he was fine. They called a bee man out of the Brownwood area to come down on the holiday and get rid of them. When the operator and landowner were taking him to the location the bee man told the operator to stay back. He said the bees would know his scent and come after him again. He said they were definitely Africanized and he was seeing more and more his his area. He killed them all and cut down the tree into small pieces. They had to wait 2 days for the stragglers to die. I have a video shot by the bee man and his son of them swarming on them as they worked on cutting down the tree and killing the bees. It was intense and you could see the stingers on their bee suits.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284364 09/12/18 01:23 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have more trouble with the what we call "ground hornets". They are a little smaller than honey bees but are 10 times meaner. I have hit them several time while dozing and the dozer isn't fast enough to outrun them. Even our native honey bees are pretty aggressive when you get too close to one of their hives in a tree. They are nothing like the domesticated bees people use for honey.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284386 09/12/18 01:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
These got me two years ago now when I was mowing the grass around the house and sheds. Mowed around them for 3 yrs and never knew they were there in that old smoker. 3rd pass the lit me up on this day in June. Bit me 10-12 times on the neck, ears and top of my head thru the hole in the back of my ball cap. You can not outrun them with a zero-turn. The chased me into the barn and then into the house. After about 20 minutes I could finally shut off the mower. I could not find anyone to get them and I had to kill them that night. The worst I have got stung was when I kicked a tuff of grass and the air exploded with those Black and Yellow Bumble Bees. They will chase you a long ways also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284413 09/12/18 01:58 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My kids school just had a tree taken down. There were over 1 million bees in it 30 feet up. No wonder they would swarm cokes on games day. Amazing they didn't bother anyone all those years.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284419 09/12/18 02:02 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
We got attacked by something one summer in East Texas we had a lease that was near the middle of the Davy Crockett NF, went to put up a stand in a creek bottom with my buddy and our girlfriends at the time, I had a little trailer that I pulled behind my 3 wheeler with ladder stand on it, me and buddy went through the creek and up the other side with my 3 wheeler and the girls had stopped to p so they were coming through the creek on 4 wheeler while we were standing at the tree we were putting the stand at (200 yds), all of a sudden, they came flying up out of the creek screaming and waving their arms & running. They ran up to us yelling and swatting but me and my buddy couldn't see them they were so fast, then one stung my eyelid (sob that hurt!) we took off running into a thick area of small pines and they finally left us alone. Both girls were stung 20+ times and we had 5 or 6 each. We walked the girls back up to the truck and they went back to camp and to town to get Benadryl, we walked back down and got the stand put up. Waited several hours before retrieving the atv's and when we did, we made a new trail coming out of there that became a great shortcut to that blind. Never could find were they came from. Looked like honey bees but fast and mean.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284506 09/12/18 02:56 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
This is terrifying lol, rather a bear than bees

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284541 09/12/18 03:32 PM
B
BlackSnake Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I had one on my forarm that I actually saw, but I was flapping my arms and swatting with my cap to get a good look. I know it was larger than a regular honey bee and was extremely aggressive. I had already been stung on the back of my head. Again, I've been stung a many of times in my life, and the sting areas are usually gone in a hour or so Although these guys did not hurt like a wasp the stings are a bit swollen and sore this morning. I even have a little stiffness in my neck and shoulder on the side I was sting. It hit me just above my hair line.

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284570 09/12/18 03:50 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
“African honey bees cannot be distinguished from European honey bees easily, although they are slightly smaller than the various European races.“

If you are for sure it was larger than a regular honey bee I’m thinking it’s ground hornets or bumblebees.....What color were they? Any bright yellow patterns?

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7284584 09/12/18 04:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with Huntwest, no way it was a honey bee if it was that size, drones can be much bigger, but they are the minority in the hive and don't have a stinger so...

Don't always assume they are "Africanized", any bee can get pissy with the right stimulus/circumstances and you can almost always get someone to come get them with a simple craiglist add, or similar.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: Western] #7284594 09/12/18 04:06 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Western
any bee can get pissy with the right stimulus/circumstances...

My dad had hives in about 4-5 different locations back home in La. I was of course the non-compensated hired help. Most locations we could walk-in with just a hood and not really be bothered, a couple we had to fully suit up as they were just plain hornery all the time. While it was hard work, honeybees are interesting to understand/work with.

I'm thinking several of these stories are hornets, not honeybees.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7285150 09/13/18 01:24 AM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Hitting bee hives happens fairly regularly when clearing brush. I’ve ran into them several times over the years, in fact hit one 2 days ago. Luckily I was in an excavator with an enclosed cab so I just kept working. they settled down after a few hours. Native honey bees I’m sure as I’ve been able to work around them since with no issues.

But in the past I’ve ran into them on open cab dozers, and I’ve seen another operator stung many times. Luckily I’ve always been able to bail and run away with minimal stings but it’s sure no fun.

Worst incident I got hit about 10 times, and had to run about a 1/4-1/2 mile before I lost them. These were very aggressive and stay agitated for days. We had to get a bee handler in to remove them to finish the job. He said they were Africanized. These days I really appreciate an enclosed cab when in brush...

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7285278 09/13/18 03:33 AM
Mathp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I bought an old construction office trailer for my deer lease in Breckenridge a while back and the the bees built a hive underneath behind the fabric and decided I needed to do something. So I put on my cold weather gear and facemask and went in after dark when they were in the hive and blasted them with wasp spray I can't remember which but I unloaded 2 cans into their lair and ran inside thinking I had survived, and turned around and they were everywhere in the trailer. I turned and saw they were buzzing around the lights and it was on! I sprayed, stomped, and over about 45 minutes killed every one of them. After that I looked into it more and determined that I needed to use a fumigator (I think RAID recommended to me at home depot) but it involves putting the fumigator under the hole in the fabric and let it rise into the hive and it would find its way through the hive and kill them all! So I waited for a morning when below freezing, got dressed for the hunt, and set it on an upside down trash can just below the opening. I had to drop two elements together and it started generating fumes that made their way throughout the hive. Jumped in the truck and when I returned there were no bees whatsoever. A little scary while I was the only one at camp but it did the trick!

https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/9542e851.jpgIMG]http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/LlanoBucksdownsized_zps6632cebe.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7285373 09/13/18 10:12 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just a little tip about Honey bee's both species. If a bee bumps you in the face immediately stop what your doing and look around for the hive, then back out. They tend to do this as a warning. Both species lose their stingers when they sting so a sting for them is fatal. I've been bumped a few times on the ranch and every time there was a hive close by.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: CharlieCTx] #7285626 09/13/18 02:44 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
any bee can get pissy with the right stimulus/circumstances...

My dad had hives in about 4-5 different locations back home in La. I was of course the non-compensated hired help. Most locations we could walk-in with just a hood and not really be bothered, a couple we had to fully suit up as they were just plain hornery all the time. While it was hard work, honeybees are interesting to understand/work with.

I'm thinking several of these stories are hornets, not honeybees.

I know the feeling Charlie lol, being a "grunt" at an apiary. My younger years we had tons of hives and sold honey commercially throughout the mid states out of N Arkansas, mostly to chain stores like Piggly Wiggly if you recall those. Dabble in them now just for memories sake and it is fun and relaxing at times.

A lot has changed with new threats to bees and their survival is poor, sucks to see them killed just because they are a "bee", they disappear and folks will wonder where the food shortage came from. I also beleive in killing a high percentage AHB if they are truley mean because of that trait and no other stimuli, in an apairy, you would pinch the the queen and get a gentler genetic queen, bit harder in the wild, but there are many people in bees and many more getting into bees that will take them most of the time.

Dennis

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: Western] #7286017 09/13/18 09:56 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
you would pinch the the queen and get a gentler genetic queen, bit harder in the wild, but there are many people in bees and many more getting into bees that will take them most of the time.

I do remember re-queening the hives. The lady we went to for the queens had a hive setup against a living window with some kind of clear pathway to a viewing station setup inside of her house. Boiling the honey via vacuum if our moisture content was too high, trying to move a 55 gallon of honey by myself. Dang, those things were heavy! We sold all of our honey to the USDA.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7287471 09/15/18 04:35 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Oh yeah, observation hive, we had one at school when I was young, grandad probably supplied that. I loved eating honey comb, but hated when I was the kid chosen to cut the squares, talk about a mess, usually ended up being the one putting on labels and that was boring as hell, big kids got the "funner' stuff lol

Dennis

Re: Killer Bees Grapevine Corps land [Re: BlackSnake] #7287561 09/15/18 07:00 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
In 1972 I was in the 10th grade/sophomore did a report for my science class on the African Honey Bees when they were still in South America. Vague memory of the report, I do remember that Scientist brought them to S. America and they escaped the lab. It was interesting on their projections of how far they would travel through Mexico and eventually to the United States.

texas flag

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide