Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Night Hunting Light #7265239 08/23/18 02:45 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a decent LED light. Never used it on hogs at night. In the groups opinion, which color is best for not spooking, or alerting hogs? White, red or green?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7265374 08/23/18 04:43 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
red, but a mixture of mostly red with a little green thrown in gives much better contrast, depth perception, etc.
Texasboars lights work just fine for me

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7266160 08/24/18 02:04 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Red, I have used green some but the time between lighting them up and their spooking is shorter. That said white LED spooks them faster than halogens, I think because of the immediate shadow the white causes.

Last edited by rickt300; 08/24/18 02:05 PM.
Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7266215 08/24/18 02:40 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Good to know, thanks.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7266276 08/24/18 03:30 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
With my exp, red spooks them less, but then again I have had them run on red and not green..

I use the Wicked Lights A67IC - Has red, green and a white LED on an intensity control switch.. I will start with it dimmed all the way down and slowly brighten it up. Or have it full brightness ready to drop the hammer before they run.

Get out there and see what works best with the hogs you hunt.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7266621 08/24/18 09:43 PM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I use sniper hog lights and have used red; works great for pigs and predators.

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7267167 08/25/18 04:40 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I think red works best as well, but they wise up to any color pretty quick.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7267963 08/26/18 04:56 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
The trick at least for me is to have the hog lined up, hit the light and quickly adjust aim to hit where you want. If you are roaming around spotlighting for hogs your going to spook many you never saw.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7268038 08/26/18 06:38 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My plan is to have some bait (corn) out, straight out in front of me at 75 yards. I hope to make them out unaided, hit the light that is mounted to my gun and be done pretty quick. Really want to drop a huge one. First and last light it's pretty easy to shoot one. I'm thinking the monsters are out at night.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7268162 08/26/18 09:27 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I pick up Harbor Freight lights pretty regularly. They have some solar ones that stay on most of the night and get brighter when there is movement. The deer and hogs don't seem to care about it and the light will run all night on a charge. They are about 25 bucks each and you can attach them to any tree or wood that is stable with 2 screws for the light and 2 more for the charger. Easy stuff and lasts a long time.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7274075 09/01/18 06:26 PM
R
Raider4044 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I use a Sniper Hog Light 66LRX with a Red light. Pigs rarely seem to care about the light.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7282477 09/10/18 03:56 PM
A
animator Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I use green, and have only ever seen one actually try to get away from it. He didn't flat out run, but did trot rather quickly to get out of the light. In that instance, I think it was mainly because the light was clicked on him rather than letting him walk into it.

I've shot a good handful of pigs, all at night, and all using a green light, and never seem to have any trouble. I tend to leave the light on constantly, and the pigs walk right up to the feeder. I like to prop the rifle up however I can and let it sit steady until they come fully into the light. They don't seem to feel uncomfortable at all with the light on. Having walked into the light myself, it really doesn't seem much different than on a full-moon night, with the only difference being the bright spot where the light is coming from.

Another thing I've done is add a green motion light to the feeder. It's always on, regardless if I'm there or not. Pigs don't seem to care one way or the other if the light is on or not. They'll hang out at my feeder for hours, and I have pics of entire groups of them laying in the grass taking naps right in front of the feeder.

Twice now, a pig has been shot at that feeder using a green light, and another pig in the group has come back 10-30 minutes later and gotten shot as well.

So for me, green works just fine until I can move up to IR or thermal.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: animator] #7282721 09/10/18 08:37 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: animator
I use green, and have only ever seen one actually try to get away from it. He didn't flat out run, but did trot rather quickly to get out of the light. In that instance, I think it was mainly because the light was clicked on him rather than letting him walk into it.

I've shot a good handful of pigs, all at night, and all using a green light, and never seem to have any trouble. I tend to leave the light on constantly, and the pigs walk right up to the feeder. I like to prop the rifle up however I can and let it sit steady until they come fully into the light. They don't seem to feel uncomfortable at all with the light on. Having walked into the light myself, it really doesn't seem much different than on a full-moon night, with the only difference being the bright spot where the light is coming from.

Another thing I've done is add a green motion light to the feeder. It's always on, regardless if I'm there or not. Pigs don't seem to care one way or the other if the light is on or not. They'll hang out at my feeder for hours, and I have pics of entire groups of them laying in the grass taking naps right in front of the feeder.

Twice now, a pig has been shot at that feeder using a green light, and another pig in the group has come back 10-30 minutes later and gotten shot as well.

So for me, green works just fine until I can move up to IR or thermal.
Good to know. I get about two hours of run time from a battery, and have two. I had to order another green LED which wasn't easy to source. My light is the TLR-1.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7282761 09/10/18 09:09 PM
A
animator Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Good to know. I get about two hours of run time from a battery, and have two. I had to order another green LED which wasn't easy to source. My light is the TLR-1.

You may want to get a different setup. Link below is what I use. I have 2 of these light, and have been using them all year with no problems. I generally leave the light on full-time, and get 3 or so hours out of one battery. They can last up to 4 or so hours, but by then they are noticeably dim. The hog feeder light is a good indicator of when something is there, but due to the fencing around the feeder, they don't always trigger the light when they're there, hence why I leave the light on most of the time. I have 6 or so extra batteries, so I'm good to go all night. If I cycle the light on and off, one battery can last me all night.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-250X-Moun...s+varmint+light

I've used these lights with my cheap UTG scope, and I've used them with my moderately expensive Nikon scope, and I will say that with the cheaper scope, at night, with that light, it was much more difficult to see with. The cheaper optics just can't let in the light the way a more expensive lens can. So keep that in mind as well. If you want to use these lights, a good optically-clear scope will be a big help in addition to the light.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: animator] #7283273 09/11/18 12:31 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
What I have is almost identical. Most of those are all from the same components and put together by different companies with a few minor differences it seems. I would like to get a few back up batteries. I tested mine, turned light on with a full charge and right at two hours started to flicker and dim. I mentioned that I had to order a new green light. I got it yesterday, ordered directly from Cree LED in China. They make all the LED's for most of these. Fit and function is fine, came right on. Green does seem to throw more light than red.
Originally Posted By: animator
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

You may want to get a different setup. Link below is what I use. I have 2 of these light, and have been using them all year with no problems. I generally leave the light on full-time, and get 3 or so hours out of one battery. They can last up to 4 or so hours, but by then they are noticeably dim. The hog feeder light is a good indicator of when something is there, but due to the fencing around the feeder, they don't always trigger the light when they're there, hence why I leave the light on most of the time. I have 6 or so extra batteries, so I'm good to go all night. If I cycle the light on and off, one battery can last me all night.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-250X-Moun...s+varmint+light

I've used these lights with my cheap UTG scope, and I've used them with my moderately expensive Nikon scope, and I will say that with the cheaper scope, at night, with that light, it was much more difficult to see with. The cheaper optics just can't let in the light the way a more expensive lens can. So keep that in mind as well. If you want to use these lights, a good optically-clear scope will be a big help in addition to the light.

Re: Night Hunting Light [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7292559 09/20/18 09:21 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Elusives Sportsman's feeder light runs at 10% power all night every night 365 days a year with it's built in solar panel and lithium ion batteries. Upon motion it slowly brightens to 100%. It takes about 40 seconds to get to full brightness Pigs Don't spook at all. It does have five different modes as well so you can set it how you want it. The green is by far the best and it is all the light you need at $69.99 great warranty as well

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide