Print Thread
Re: public hunting draw #7282144 09/10/18 09:52 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
what does "pending 2nd draw" mean..thats what my "private lands,either sex" says on my app

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7282174 09/10/18 11:41 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
popcorn
Someone with accurate knowledge of TPW's "business" practices will have to 'splain this in plain American English as the Pvt Lands Category is not dependent on paying a Hunt Fee to provide TPW with a confirmation by the winning Applicant to participate... and YES I am in that same "computer driven digital double speak" category as the OP....

...but then the Silicon Valley style moniker "Loyalty Points" makes no sense to me either when all the hype in the accrual of "Bonus Chances" would IMO provide a clearer explanation of the advertised hook of the promise for some sort of advantage in continuing to participate in the Permit Lottery with no explantion of the % odds of winning a Permit in each Category.

IMO the awarding of LP's would be substanially enhanced also if a stand alone Scratch Off system of awarding Winners for each entry with Bonus Points for every entry in a given Category...IE enter 5 GDA Permit Lottery's in a given year and get 5 BP's instead of just one so called LP per Category no matter how many entries submitted....Just Sayin'
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: public hunting draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #7282344 09/10/18 02:24 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
popcorn
Someone with accurate knowledge of TPW's "business" practices will have to 'splain this in plain American English as the Pvt Lands Category is not dependent on paying a Hunt Fee to provide TPW with a confirmation by the winning Applicant to participate... and YES I am in that same "computer driven digital double speak" category as the OP....

...but then the Silicon Valley style moniker "Loyalty Points" makes no sense to me either when all the hype in the accrual of "Bonus Chances" would IMO provide a clearer explanation of the advertised hook of the promise for some sort of advantage in continuing to participate in the Permit Lottery with no explantion of the % odds of winning a Permit in each Category.

IMO the awarding of LP's would be substanially enhanced also if a stand alone Scratch Off system of awarding Winners for each entry with Bonus Points for every entry in a given Category...IE enter 5 GDA Permit Lottery's in a given year and get 5 BP's instead of just one so called LP per Category no matter how many entries submitted....Just Sayin'
Ron

HUH?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7282395 09/10/18 02:56 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
MOW...sorry about the TPW Loyalty Point rant...happens when you have another Birthday at my now 74 years old and have been paying the App Fee tariff off and on since it was started ???, after returning home to Texas in 1975, but have been applying continuosly for the last 20+ years and have 20 LP's in EXO and 16 going on 17 LP's in GDE to prove it. What are the success % of odd's of that. HMMM?

Please Ignore the last 2 paragraphs as an old man's musings about how to make State of Texas run programs things operate more efficiently and remove all doubts by being more open and honest, "IF" you think as I do that the Scratch Off Lottery System is open and fair. IMO if the State of Texas can run more than a few multi $M Lotteries, why can't TPW give us the same kind of service? but then all the $$$$ Cash payout Lottery Programs are run by Contractors ( hint hint).

FWIW The Pvt Lands Category charges a $10 App Fee and NO HUNT Fee if I remember correctly.... Enjoy the weather.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7282549 09/10/18 05:13 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: mow
what does "pending 2nd draw" mean..thats what my "private lands,either sex" says on my app

It means that you didn't win this draw. If someone who did win one of those hunts doesn't accept their permit within a certain amount of time (I think it's 10 days) then they will hold a second drawing to fill those spots.

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7282659 09/10/18 07:13 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Wiley Coyote you're starting to make sense but then I am 74 years old also but maybe it is our age.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7282821 09/10/18 10:22 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
WC: As far as your (hint hint) jab at the department about their handling of the draw, I think you should know that TPWD does not do the draw themselves. They have an independent contractor/vendor who does it them.

Here is a direct quote from the Director of the Public Hunting Program himself, in an email I had just a week ago. We talked specifically about the Fort Boggy/Choke Canyon event.

"First of all, sorry about the withdrawn permit at Choke Canyon. This was a system error that unfortunately selected nearly everyone that had applied for the hunt by the time our license/system vendor caught it. It had to do with the system drawing groups of hunters for the area rather than individual permits. Either way, the error has been corrected and steps have been put in place to prevent it from ever happening again. "

The other thing we talked about was the number and distribution of Non-Resident applications and permits which were awarded. The official numbers from the Dept. is NR applications make up between 4-7% of the total, and the number actually awarded are around 2% of the total available.

Hope that helps a little.

Re: public hunting draw [Re: Blank] #7282972 09/11/18 01:14 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: Blank
The official numbers from the Dept. is NR applications make up between 4-7% of the total, and the number actually awarded are around 2% of the total available.

We need a law that all Alaskan residents have to hire a guide.

Last edited by Whiptail; 09/11/18 01:15 AM.
Re: public hunting draw [Re: Blank] #7282984 09/11/18 01:29 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
WC: As far as your (hint hint) jab at the department about their handling of the draw, I think you should know that TPWD does not do the draw themselves. They have an independent contractor/vendor who does it them.

Here is a direct quote from the Director of the Public Hunting Program himself, in an email I had just a week ago. We talked specifically about the Fort Boggy/Choke Canyon event.

"First of all, sorry about the withdrawn permit at Choke Canyon. This was a system error that unfortunately selected nearly everyone that had applied for the hunt by the time our license/system vendor caught it. It had to do with the system drawing groups of hunters for the area rather than individual permits. Either way, the error has been corrected and steps have been put in place to prevent it from ever happening again. "

The other thing we talked about was the number and distribution of Non-Resident applications and permits which were awarded. The official numbers from the Dept. is NR applications make up between 4-7% of the total, and the number actually awarded are around 2% of the total available.

Hope that helps a little.

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7283115 09/11/18 03:04 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Blank, Thats good to know about the use of a contractor instead of using TPW staff, like the over worked lady who used to do all the App reviews and issuing Permits, apparently by herself that was reported in a TPW Magazine article as I recall, during the the digital conversion and rollout. OTOH it might be time to look at finding a more reliable contractor that is more familiar with larger participation events, as I've not heard of similar events with whoever is running the Scratch Off Lotteries, after some growth glitches and strange contractor changes after the startup. Not worth digging around in the DMNews archives for the details though.

I'm sure you are familiar with my opinions and the solutions used by another Texas Licensing Entity about any Non Resident participation in Texas Resident Licensing programs on an equal basis as Texas Residents, so without going back there again I'll express extreme surprise at the IMO the very low Non Res participation numbers you've reported, might be worth looking at why the numbers are being reported so low with so much attention and effort given to attract Non Res Outdoor Sports Tourism.

The other comments I made about a different way to administer the TPW Hunting Lottery "Bonus" Point Program I do think might be worth examining to see if the bugs & glitches could be worked out of it to establish a more fair way to distribute the ever decreasing opportunities to Hunt on Texas State owned property, since TPW is not willing or able for some reason to follow the proven examples of many other States true Preference Point Programs and restricted Non Resident access to the limited number of Permits and Federal Property, that IMO Texas should do a better job of emulating...I've always had a What goes Around, comes Around attitude with other states Licensing and Permit regulations, and felt that Texas Residents Property Taxes have been taken advantage of for too long, to generate Tourism $'s that the Lege cannot access to continue to over Fund the Rainy Day Fund, with TPW's budgets caught in the middle and underfunded at the baseline used to run the Dept set by the Legislature, and a soaring population growth curve with no end in sight to address.

I knew that more than a few folks, including me, had been involved in the Fort Boggy Permit over issue event. Stuff happens, and was responded to I'm sure as best as possible. Just another learning curve event.
Ron

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7283159 09/11/18 04:39 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Lots and lots of info and ideas gets exchanged here on the various forums, and I know that folks within the Dept. read them. I just wish that more people that follow the forums would actually use the comment feature on TPWD website and talk directly to them in Headquarters. A comment that really surprised me was the feeling of the commission about revenue and the Public Hunt System".

"I appreciate your perspective on non-resident application fees and as a guy who applies in a number of different states, I know how good of a deal Texas permit applications are for non-residents. The thing is that our Commission doesn't see the draw system as a major revenue generator for the department but more as a fair permit distribution tool."

I have been writing to the Dept. for years to increase the NR application fees to a value more in line with other states ($15 instead of $3), in order to prevent having to buy a full price license. I think that higher fees are certainly fair. I absolutely loved the low rates when I lived in Texas, but I don't anymore. I would continue to play the game, and hope for success. That $315 piece of paper , however, would become useless after the public draws, without hiring an outfitter. When the last remaining parent passes, the wife and I will be back in the Hill Country as residents, then enjoy those $3 fees again.

Starting to mandate full-price license purchases would soon have some NR's clamoring for a guaranteed percentage of tags, or even increased numbers like 10% as in some western states. Heck, WY gives 40% of its controlled hunt tags to NR's!!!

Best of luck to you on Sunday. Maybe this is the year you draw EVERY GDE you applied for. smile

I also wish they would go back to the old way of applying for one hunt only in each category. I think that could help the odds return to previous levels

Re: public hunting draw [Re: Blank] #7283172 09/11/18 05:36 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I also wish they would go back to the old way of applying for one hunt only in each category.

Yeah that's never gonna happen.They'd be giving up a Kings Ransom in revenue if they did that.

Re: public hunting draw [Re: mow] #7284247 09/12/18 11:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
NOT a Big Surprise just now when I checked my Pvt Lands Status...and saw the "Not Selected" status change from "Pending 2nd Draw". Got 5 GDE's still in play for a couple days, but fully expect 2018 to be the Same Song record with ???? How Many verses sung so far of THAT SONG that is still stuck in a groove that gives less and less confidence in ever getting drawn in any Category ever again.

I'll continue to send TPW a single $3 App in each of the desired Categories to not loose the current accrued Bonus Points, like I did years ago and lost those accrued LP's before starting over when I stopped Leasing after the last Lease group fell apart...and might try some StandBy's if available and I have the time...but Hello Scratch Off's.... they gotta have better better odd's of winning sumthin'...mebbe even my Entry Fee's ...
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide