Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Meat hunters...UGH! #7280836 09/08/18 05:09 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I am tired of so called meat hunters thinking they walk the high road while those who enjoy hunting for antlers walk the low road. I saw a FB post where there was a question about how much should be charged for a 50 acre piece of land. There were quite a few responses and one guy said he and a buddy was interested. I made a simple comment, half in jest, and asked who would shoot the trophy and who would shoot the cull. He immediately responded that they were meat hunters and that the county is a five deer county and they just wanted to fill their tags. I then countered saying that fifty acres will not surpport them taking five deer each and he then went off on a rant about trophy hunters and that they are "meat hunters" as if that justified them killing 10 deer off fifty acres.

Last season we unfortunately had a father and son join our lease. The only one to meet them at the time of the Houston flood was the ranch manager. They lost quite a bit in the flood and we all gave them money, not a small amount mind you. They showed their appreciation by shooting anything that walked. They brought extra family members to hunt. They were confronted and told it was against the rules. Later we found ATV tracks all around the lease with spent brass lying around. Before they joined we were seeing a few axis does but since they joined we have seen none. We'd ask them to let them walk because we wanted to see if we could get more axis to follow but since then we have seen none. They let us know when we again explained that we were trying to allow our deer to mature that they wer meat hunters. Pathetic!

I guarantee that if one of these so called meat hunters had two deer walk up at the same time where he had to make a choice, one buck was a 250 lb with a basket rack, 13 inch spread, and the other was 150 lb 12 point 150+ class buck the 150 class buck would be the one they shoot.

I've simply seen and heard to many meat hunters talk down to hunters that enjoy hunting for nice bucks. They seem to think that because they are "meat hunters" it makes them "real" hunters while those they call trophy hunters are some how below them.

I used to be very anti high fence but I can honestly say if I ever have the opportunity to own 1,000 acres and have the money I'm 99% sure I will high fence it. Simply because there are way to many hunters, a lot of land owners allow this, that will kill way too many deer off property, more than the property can support which then destroys the deer herd.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280851 09/08/18 05:17 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Sportsmanship is sportsmanship regardless of the label. Some get it, others don't.

It should be unnecessary to observe that a certain percentage of the population interpret every form of decency or morality in terms of their own personal advantage. A quick glance at the world in which we live should be sufficient confirmation.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280920 09/08/18 06:25 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Well said syncerus. It's nothing to do with meat hunter vs. trophy hunter. There are ethical hunters in both groups and stupid unethical slobs in both groups.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280943 09/08/18 06:48 PM
R
roughneck266 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Turds are turds. I have called myself a meat hunter in the past simply because I will more often take out a cow horn spike over a 3.5 YO with a nice rack. Only because of which genetics I would prefer to get passed on, and the fact that I like to eat.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280949 09/08/18 06:57 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am a meat hunter. I only take a doe or two and pass on bucks unless it is bigger than my last. Oh, maybe that is trophy hunting?

Those guys just sound like yahoos...

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280955 09/08/18 07:00 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
At the risk of offending our esteemed member from SE Loisiana, this father and son on your lease - they Cajun? bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280994 09/08/18 07:49 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Ever since I guided and then fed for absentee lease hunters Bucks have meant buck$ to me. Does are better tasting anyhow.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280996 09/08/18 08:00 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I am tired of so called meat hunters thinking they walk the high road while those who enjoy hunting for antlers walk the low road. I saw a FB post where there was a question about how much should be charged for a 50 acre piece of land. There were quite a few responses and one guy said he and a buddy was interested. I made a simple comment, half in jest, and asked who would shoot the trophy and who would shoot the cull. He immediately responded that they were meat hunters and that the county is a five deer county and they just wanted to fill their tags. I then countered saying that fifty acres will not surpport them taking five deer each and he then went off on a rant about trophy hunters and that they are "meat hunters" as if that justified them killing 10 deer off fifty acres.

Last season we unfortunately had a father and son join our lease. The only one to meet them at the time of the Houston flood was the ranch manager. They lost quite a bit in the flood and we all gave them money, not a small amount mind you. They showed their appreciation by shooting anything that walked. They brought extra family members to hunt. They were confronted and told it was against the rules. Later we found ATV tracks all around the lease with spent brass lying around. Before they joined we were seeing a few axis does but since they joined we have seen none. We'd ask them to let them walk because we wanted to see if we could get more axis to follow but since then we have seen none. They let us know when we again explained that we were trying to allow our deer to mature that they wer meat hunters. Pathetic!

I guarantee that if one of these so called meat hunters had two deer walk up at the same time where he had to make a choice, one buck was a 250 lb with a basket rack, 13 inch spread, and the other was 150 lb 12 point 150+ class buck the 150 class buck would be the one they shoot.

I've simply seen and heard to many meat hunters talk down to hunters that enjoy hunting for nice bucks. They seem to think that because they are "meat hunters" it makes them "real" hunters while those they call trophy hunters are some how below them.

I used to be very anti high fence but I can honestly say if I ever have the opportunity to own 1,000 acres and have the money I'm 99% sure I will high fence it. Simply because there are way to many hunters, a lot of land owners allow this, that will kill way too many deer off property, more than the property can support which then destroys the deer herd.

Two thing here...No good deed goes unpunished and who goes on fb?

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7280998 09/08/18 08:02 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
You think it is bad with deer hunters ????? Multiply that by 10 for jackass quail hunters. I boil it down to 2 types of hunters ------- sportsmen and people who want to get "their money's worth".

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281008 09/08/18 08:19 PM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Who eats 5 deer a year?

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: nate33] #7281047 09/08/18 09:42 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: nate33
You think it is bad with deer hunters ????? Multiply that by 10 for jackass quail hunters. I boil it down to 2 types of hunters ------- sportsmen and people who want to get "their money's worth".

I think you have to look at what you have with Quail by the year and kill an accordance with what was hatched. In 2015 & 2016 I killed a limit every time I went out and probably hunted only 30 days each year. At the end of the year there were plenty of bird on the 20K acres I hunt with 10 other guys. Many of whom live out of state and hunt a week a year. This place is 45 minutes from my house and I can guarantee you I want a good Quail population out there from now on. Last year was a different story and I probably averaged 8 bird a day for the season.
I just got on a season lease 65K acres in west Texas that I may only hunt 10 days on. If the bird numbers are good I’ll kill a limit every day and won’t feel bad about it. When I was a kid we killed a limit almost every day of season on the 150K plus acres we had permission to hunt on and we couldn’t have hurt the population if we’d killed 5X the limit if we’d wanted every day. Back then you couldn’t chase singles without running into 2-3 more coveys on a short round.
If I ever payed the exorbitant amount of money to day hunt that some people are charging on a decent place I can guarantee you I’d kill my money’s worth and not think a thing about it. Can I still consider myself a sportsman?

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281049 09/08/18 09:47 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was a meat hunter as a kid. I hunted for the family, and we donated meat to some that couldn’t hunt. I’d shoot 5 or 6 per year, usually. And I hunted squirrels for my old grandpa. He loved fried squirrel brains (yuck). Years and decades pass, and now my usual is to put two doe in the freezer, shoot every coyote I see, put a pig or two in the freezer, and look for “the big buck”. Usually I save the special big buck for the grandson, if I can.

Something my Dad said years ago is “pigs are the game changer”. He and I prefer to eat wild pig rather than deer. He also said “Son, If bucks didn’t have horns, there’d be no reason to shoot em. We’d just eat pig”. Most of my life, and his, there were no wild pigs in NE Louisiana.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281057 09/08/18 09:53 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
On the other hand you also have "trophy hunters" who get on a trophy lease and agree to the management terms of the place. Late in the season these "trophy hunters" start to get nervous about not filling their "trophy tag" so they end up shooting a nice young buck that should have lived another 2+ years. Seen it many times.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281114 09/08/18 10:39 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Some people are truely meat hunters. My grandfather would kill his 5 deer opening day every year just so he could get back to Quail hunting. He considered deer as something to eat and quail hunting a sport. He would have 5 deer eaten every year before spring. I saw him trade an old giant palamated 13 point buck at a gas station in Rankin for 2 young does to some guys that were filling up next to us. They came over to admire the buck in the back of the truck and were impressed. The old man traded that deer in a heartbeat. When we got back in the truck he thought he’d made one hell of a trade. His philosophy was that those horns weren’t edible and that old deer would’ve tasted like sht. He thought we got less meat but what we traded for would be better. I asked him why he shot that old deer and he said because he walked up first and would make good jerky. We had to put 6 deer in the freezer that Sunday instead of 5. I never shot a deer on opening weekend because I knew all of the work coming to get his deer in the freezer on Sunday.

One year there were some Barbado sheep that came through one of the places we Quail hunted. He called the rancher to ask if we could kill a couple. The rancher said yes he didn’t want them on the place. He let me take my 22. I wanted to kill one of the big rams. Hell no we’re shooting 2 of the youngest ones. I asked if we could kill a big one just to look at it. He told me we didn’t kill things just to look at.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Roll-Tide] #7281118 09/08/18 10:48 PM
R
rogerh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Who eats 5 deer a year?

I raised 5 girls and taught them to hunt and shoot most of our diet was wild game...dove ...quail...fish and deer...five deer helped
feed us for the year.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281154 09/08/18 11:33 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I shot a couple doe every year but I'd rather my daughters kill a nice buck. However they dont always kill a buck and I'm fine with that. I let them shoot full deer that way they learn the importance of managing the herd.
But I also believe that letting a 6, 7, or 8 year old buck walk your not helping the herd.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281172 09/08/18 11:53 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Well, I guess I am a meat hunter not a trophy hunter. Yes I get excited when I see a big buck but I am a meat hunter. We eat venison year round. Rarely do we buy beef unless it is range beef. We eat three deer a year and a couple of pigs. If a friend needs venison, I get an extra one. I do not base it on acreage but the need. Regardless what ever we take it gets eaten. I also teach/tell my kids " If you kill it you better plan on eating it". Only exception to that rule is things that can harm you or harm what you are hunting for food.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Creekrunner] #7281183 09/09/18 12:02 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
At the risk of offending our esteemed member from SE Loisiana, this father and son on your lease - they Cajun? bolt

Ya` know Creekrunner, Cajuns are just like Texans - mostly good people with a few buttwipes. grin

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: BayouGuy] #7281197 09/09/18 12:19 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Ya` know Creekrunner, Cajuns are just like Texans - mostly good people with a few buttwipes. grin

I wouldn’t consider my grandfather a Cajun but he was from Keachi LA. He and him brothers jumped on a train after the big war and jumped off in west Texas and went to work building gas plants in the Sandhills. Every one of them ended up as Superintendent of a Gulf/Chevron Plant before they retired. They were all meat hunters.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281201 09/09/18 12:23 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If the "target" is legal, why should anyone else care what that hunter is?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: dogcatcher] #7281229 09/09/18 01:04 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
If the "target" is legal, why should anyone else care what that hunter is?
I believe the Lord has given us a responsibility to care for His creation and to me it includes caring for animals and being responsible for not only the animals we kill but also for the herd to ensure there are plenty for the future. I also believe we have a responsibilities to our neighbors which includes not overhunting an area and decimating, for this discussion, the deer herd. I understand that the law says that deer technically are owned by the state and not by the land owners but there’s still a responsibility to manage our resources. As for who actually owns the deer on land, once land owners were allowed to high fence their land and thereby control the deer on their land they became the owners.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281239 09/09/18 01:12 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Mostly because some folks have the desire to control what others do, even if what they're doing is legal.
Doesn't matter what you're talking about.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Roll-Tide] #7281264 09/09/18 01:31 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Who eats 5 deer a year?

Really? I don’t ever kill that many but my family could eat 20 deer a year no problem.

Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: BOONER] #7281274 09/09/18 01:49 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Who eats 5 deer a year?

Really? I don’t ever kill that many but my family could eat 20 deer a year no problem.

With the kids at home we could eat 6-7 a year. Just the wife and me we like 2-whitetail, 1-black buck, 2-axis. I can be picky.
And I am a meat hunter now. If I scout out a big deer, I get the kids or one of the ladies on him right away. Except once, that axis buck needed to die.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Meat hunters...UGH! [Re: Deerhunter61] #7281284 09/09/18 01:58 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This almost sounds like the little old ladies gossiping at a quilting party trying to convince everyone else how to run their business.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide