Page 1 of 2 1 2
Parvo is.... #7278792 09/06/18 06:36 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One of the most evil virus I've ever delt with.

I am beyond words but wanted to tell you my story and what Ive been through the last few days.

As most of you know I have a litter of puppies that will be 8 weeks old Saturday.

I have poured my heart and soul into these guys. I've tried to do everything right by them from health to socializing.

Last Wednesday the 29th they were 6.5 weeks old. We went to the vet and they each got their 5way puppy vaccinations. They were carried in in crates and were never allowed on the ground.

3 days later I started to notice just a little bit of lack of energy but nothing that would be alarming. By Monday they were all vomiting with diarrhea. This was Labor Day. I took one into an emergency vet clinic and $400 later I had a diagnosis of Parvo and bag full of meds.

I was told that the pup I brought in wasn't in bad shape and to start giving oral fluids every two hours, amoxicillin every 12, antiemetics every 24 and anti diarrhea every 8.

In addition I went and got saline and some needles and me and my wife administered subcutaneous injections every 2-3 hours.

It was a complete nightmare. My worst fear with a litter of puppies came true.

I've been on this property for over 10 years and had puppies and/or dogs the entire time without a case of Parvo.

Tuesday, completely exhausted I called my vet who was now open. I had gotten 4 of the puppies over the hump and they were acting much better. In my mind I just knew I could get the other 4 going if i just kept at it.

I took the four that were still not doing well in and we started IVs on three of them. We continue with our meds and gave fluids to combat dehydration.

At 1am that night I held the little white collar male as he died. Then the pink collar female died at 6am.

I couldn't handle watching another one pass and I was just completely exhausted.

I left the other two at the vet and they started an IV in the other one.

They were there all day yesterday and overnight.

I got a call earlier today and I was expecting the worst. I was told they were up and eating chicken.

I can't describe to you how horrendous this virus is and what it does to these pups.

It's looking like all 6 remaining will make a full recovery. The four at home are eating everything I put in front of them and stools are becoming solid again.

On top of it all I had to call Puppy buyers to let them know what was going on. I had to tell wo of them that they no longer were going to be getting their puppy. I had two buyers with plane tickets purchased to fly into DFW Saturday and they had to cancel their flights.

I am a firefighter and I've seen a lot of bad things but holding those pups that I've raised as they died is about as bad as I've ever felt in my life.

I'd appreciate your prayers that these 6 make full recovery and live long and happy, healthy lives.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/07/18 03:15 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7278801 09/06/18 06:59 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Sorry to hear about. Hope the rest turn out well for you and the potential owners.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7278830 09/06/18 07:21 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sorry man. There is nothing we can type here to make it right. You and I both know to put our efforts into the living as we can do nothing for the others.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279012 09/06/18 10:15 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ah Brady that stinks man! I can tell by your posts that you are a dedicated dog man and put a lot into your current liter.
My prayers and condolences to you and yours.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279032 09/06/18 10:38 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My condolences. I truely feel for you and have been through it before. I had a Brittany pup that made it 22 years ago. $500 later he pulled through. Best $500 I ever spent and that was back when I didn’t have $500. I can’t imagine having a whole litter that you’ve put your heart into to raise get it. I said a prayer for the living pups. Best wishes.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279099 09/06/18 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Condolences. Sucks.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279268 09/07/18 01:40 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sorry to hear this Brian.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279289 09/07/18 02:00 AM
H
Hunter 64 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Very sorry to hear that!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your pups!

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279294 09/07/18 02:04 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Sorry to hear that man. Parvo really sucks. I don't really know what else you could have done to prevent it. It's not like they were 6 months old and never had a vaccine.

I don't really understand the buyers backing out. I mean if they make it through parvo, they're very unlikely to get it again.

It's a crazy virus though. I had a big german shepherd pup (6-8 months) come in once for vomiting/diarrhea. He was still very active and wanting to play. Positive for parvo. Started fluids and all the other meds. I check him the next morning. He was up wagging his tail. About 30 minutes later I walked by his cage and he collapsed and died.

IME though, once I got one back to eating, they don't look back.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279318 09/07/18 02:30 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That is terrible. Hope they have a full recovery.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7279338 09/07/18 02:53 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I don't really understand the buyers backing out. I mean if they make it through parvo, they're very unlikely to get it again. . [/quote]

I’m no vet. But I’m asking if I would be wrong to not want to bring a pup that had recovered from Parvo into my kennel. Doesn’t that virus live for a long time in the ground? Or is that false information?

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: scalebuster] #7279352 09/07/18 03:10 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

I don't really understand the buyers backing out. I mean if they make it through parvo, they're very unlikely to get it again. .

I’m no vet. But I’m asking if I would be wrong to not want to bring a pup that had recovered from Parvo into my kennel. Doesn’t that virus live for a long time in the ground? Or is that false information? [/quote]

A couple things... nobody backed out for one. Not sure if I miscommunicated that. I did have to let two buyers know they wouldn't be getting a pup because of the two that died.

Second I do have a buyer that owns a kennel and I'm keeping that pup until October 1st for them.

The virus can live in the ground for a long time but the issue is that the pup can be contagious for a couple weeks. After they quit shedding the virus they will be perfectly safe to be around other puppies.

As long as all other dogs in the house hold are vaccinated they should all be safe, the new buyers would just need to take the same precautions they normally would with a new puppy and not take them places where lots of other dogs frequent like dog parks etc...

As far as the new pups having immunity to Parvo...yes, they should have a very strong immunity to Parvo,

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/07/18 03:14 AM.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279357 09/07/18 03:16 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

We've got all 6 remaining doing great and eating and drinking like champs.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279375 09/07/18 03:55 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I hate to hear you have been through this...

I think I am reading that they got Parvo when you took them to the Vet for their shots.

I'd be having a very serious conversation with the vet.

The breeders I know all give the initial round of shots themselves and/or have the vet come out to their kennel.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: nak] #7279387 09/07/18 04:10 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: nak
I hate to hear you have been through this...

I think I am reading that they got Parvo when you took them to the Vet for their shots.

I'd be having a very serious conversation with the vet.

The breeders I know all give the initial round of shots themselves and/or have the vet come out to their kennel.

I will be giving my own from now on but won't be whelping a litter here for at least two years. I'm looking into a few whelping services.

I'm beating myself up for taking them up there.

It's most likely I brought it home on my shoes or something. This virus is so contagious. It lives everywhere and only takes a microscopic spore to infect an entire litter.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/07/18 04:12 AM.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279464 09/07/18 11:21 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Man that is a tough deal. Way to hang tough. I bet the buyers that lost out are sad as well.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279495 09/07/18 12:00 PM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

A couple things... nobody backed out for one. Not sure if I miscommunicated that. I did have to let two buyers know they wouldn't be getting a a pup because of the two that died

My apologies, long day yesterday and totally misread your post.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7279560 09/07/18 01:14 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308

A couple things... nobody backed out for one. Not sure if I miscommunicated that. I did have to let two buyers know they wouldn't be getting a a pup because of the two that died

My apologies, long day yesterday and totally misread your post.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

No worries.

I have actually had a buyer back out now. She was flying in from NY and has a trip planned to Europe. The puppy was going to stay with family until the middle of October. Problem is they have a 12 week old pup. We thought it best to not put the other puppy at risk.

The last pick male who I had already told that their pup had died put a non refundable deposit down on another puppy yesterday a few hours before called them.

I'm so attached to these dudes at this point I'm not the least bit worried about selling the last one anymore.

I typically don't like to use war analogies but I feel like I've gone to battle with these guys and we came out the other side.

Honestly I was getting pretty ready to see them go and now I'm going to be sad to see them go. Little dudes are fighters!

Who ever does get the last pup is going to get a heck of pup!

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279643 09/07/18 02:18 PM
S
Shortya Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Prayers said....

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279815 09/07/18 04:42 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Sorry to hear about your battle. Glad to see most made it out the other side with you.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279865 09/07/18 05:20 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Hoping for a full recovery. Good man here.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7279953 09/07/18 06:26 PM
My stand is pink camo Offline
Kickingbird
Kickingbird
So sorry for your loss, breaks my heart to know what y’all went through! Prayers for the remaining pups! You and your wife deserve a reward for all your efforts to save all the pups!!!

I will take a good rain or a new calf whenever I can get it -Jack Ratjen
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7280023 09/07/18 07:42 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Well that shoots that in the butt, I always heard the pups were protected from the mother for 8-12 weeks after birth. The five way shot didn't include the parvo vaccine did it? I also heard pups weren't supposed to get that till they were 8-10 weeks old. More old wives tales I guess
Sorry for the loss of the pups
Really stinks

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Parvo is.... [Re: RayB] #7280065 09/07/18 08:22 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Well that shoots that in the butt, I always heard the pups were protected from the mother for 8-12 weeks after birth. The five way shot didn't include the parvo vaccine did it? I also heard pups weren't supposed to get that till they were 8-10 weeks old. More old wives tales I guess
Really stinks

Nobody really knows when the mother's protection ends. I think it varies. Some vets say 6 weeks others 8 weeks.

The other issue is that the vaccine at that age offers minimal protection and depending on who you talk to it can actually wipe out the protection they got from mom.

Most breeders I know vaccinate at 6-9-12-15 weeks.

But then there are a lot of people against over vaccinating.

I honestly don't know what the heck happened.

Re: Parvo is.... [Re: BradyBuck] #7280410 09/08/18 02:33 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Really stinks

Nobody really knows when the mother's protection ends. I think it varies. Some vets say 6 weeks others 8 weeks.

The other issue is that the vaccine at that age offers minimal protection and depending on who you talk to it can actually wipe out the protection they got from mom.

Most breeders I know vaccinate at 6-9-12-15 weeks.

But then there are a lot of people against over vaccinating.

I honestly don't know what the heck happened.

Maternal antibodies wane somewhere between 6 and 9 weeks. Varies from litter to litter and bitch to bitch. Maternal antibodies are what prevent early vaccines from working. One thing that can play a role in when those wane is the vaccine and immune status of the bitch. I'm sure Brady has is girl up to date. I speaking in generalities.

Most recommendations are 4 doses every 3 weeks beginning at 6 weeks.

My thought is really crappy luck. The vaccines are modified live virus (most of them anyway) and I don't know if I've ever heard of it causing clinical disease. It is a challenge to the immune system though, so if the were exposed before or near the time of vaccination, it could make it easier for the virus to take route.

Quote:

Couple quotes from the label of the Parvo vaccine I use:
-The age at which maternal antibody for canine parvovirus no longer interferes with the development of active immunity varies according to the bitch’s titer and quantity of colostral antibodies absorbed by the puppy.
-Inject one dose (1 mL) subcutaneously or intramuscularly. The initial dose may be given at 6 weeks of age or older. Repeat at 2 to 4 week intervals until the dog is 12 weeks of age. A minimum of two doses is required for primary immunization. Annual revaccination with one dose is recommended. Following the advice of the American Veterinary Medical Association on Vaccination Principles, an appropriate revaccination program for individual animals should be made based upon veterinarian-client-patient relationships.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide