Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Dalroo] #7261270 08/19/18 06:01 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
Complacency and testosterone - each can be bad, but when mixed, the results can be deadly. Be safe people!

Yes, those two components added with a dose of "never me" are a very dangerous mixture no doubt.

Unfortunately, the "hard way" is the only way some people learn. And the ability to quickly recognize members of this "elite" group carries enormous value.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7261320 08/19/18 07:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Anyone my vintage has done some things that were obviously unsafe with hindsight. Stupid even. Either that or they didn’t grow up in the country.

Hunter Education has been a good thing to at least raise awareness and hopefully cut down on a lot of obviously unsafe practices. (No loaded guns in vehicles, alcohol and guns don’t mix, unload before crossing fences, etc., etc.)

But there’s some amount of risk in just about everything we do if you choose to get out of bed every morning and live a life. That’s just a fact. One can act like they’re perfect and therefore nothing could ever happen to them - but one would simply be in denial.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7261385 08/19/18 08:17 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I would much rather hunt with a younger crowd than older...seem to be safer.

But if you are climbing a tree stand with a loaded gun(safety on or not) you maybe in the running for a Darwin Award.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7261888 08/20/18 04:28 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Every accident can be avoided and it is everyone's responsibility to check others. Guy I hunt on the lease with has a high rack we use in west Texas and we were hunting with a friend of his. Apparantly in the past year, they were predator hunting and between stands the guy didn't unload his rifle and shot a hole through the floor into the catalytic converter. Their hunt ended with an extremely noisy ride to the shop 50 miles away luckily. Loaded gun and safety off I guess. Luckily still has a foot. Was a new hunter in his upper 40s.

I have only had one potential accident and it was a sling and a loaded shotgun. I never sling any firearm loaded period now. I've since heard PHs in Africa say the most dangerous thing is a hunter with loaded rifle and a sling.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7269178 08/27/18 09:10 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Rack Ranch such a heart wrenching story. I'm shooting with my grandsons all the time. If something like that ever happened I couldn't bear it. When I was 12 I almost shot my dad. In my excitement to shoot my first pheasant that flushed and flew to my immediate left I swung and fired. My dad who was standing to my left was about 3 ft from my discharge, I realized what I had done and kept apologizing over and over. He was the greatest father ever. Although he was really shaken He sat me down and said we both learned an important lesson today. No animal is worth harming another person especially someone you love. Before you ever pull the trigger again you must make certain that it is safe to fire in all directions. He never mentioned it again and we continued our hunt. To this day I have missed many an opportunity being overly cautious but I will never make that mistake again. It actually motivated me to become a hunter education instructor and you can bet this is one story I always Share.

Last edited by Flashprism; 08/27/18 09:14 PM.
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7273696 09/01/18 01:04 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A family member shot himself in the stomach while dragging his 12 gauge across the front seat, muzzle first. Stupid? Yes. That’s a mistake you’d only make once.

It was a 1953 Chevy truck with a seat spring poking thru.

[b][/b]
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7273743 09/01/18 02:03 AM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Back when I was 14 my dad, uncle and I were hunting walking through the woods. While walking for a bit we had stopped to rest. I looked over at my uncle and he had the hammer cocked on the 12 gauge. I asked if I could de-[censored] the gun he gave it to me. I pointed the barrel in the air put the stock between my legs with thumb on the hammer I pulled the trigger. Thumb slipped off and bang, boy did that hurt my balls. Never took him hunting again. You just never know.

Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Creekrunner] #7273862 09/01/18 10:34 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Propensity - An inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.

IMO, hunters have a propensity to carry their rifle or shotgun loaded or unloaded. Those who never want to miss a chance shot at any time might keep their gun loaded and stored in their vehicle for that very reason. Others might just forget to unload it after walking back to their vehicle from their deer stand. Then there are those like myself, who prefer to carry a firearm unloaded until they're in their stand and always unload it before leaving to remove any chance of an accidental discharge sometime later. They may have a few rounds left in the magazine that can be quickly chambered, but their propensity is to put safety ahead of their desire to kill something.

The average deer lease member might be surprised at how many loaded firearms are laying around camp at any given time.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Dalroo] #7276906 09/05/18 01:30 AM
R
Rifleman1775 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Dalroo

Second, many years ago we were riding in friend's pickup on way back to camp. It was cold and there were three of us in the cab, I was in the middle, and another friend against the door with his gun laying muzzle down to the floor. Driver asked if it was unloaded and was told no, but safety was on, and to prove, he pulled trigger. Uh huh...no one was hurt, but my ears rang for a month. The bullet also traveled through floor of truck and blew out the front right side tire.

Something very similar happened to me. I was about 13 or 14 and riding with my Uncle in my other Uncle's new Blazer. The morning before, we had a nice buck run across a road in front of us, on my uncle's ranch. I was going to be ready for him the next morning, as if it was going to happen the exact same way. I had my barrel facing the floor as we were heading to our hunting spot. I had my hand on my rifle, and as ashamed as I am to admit, my finger resting inside the trigger guard. It gets worse....for whatever reason, I put pressure on the trigger, thinking it was on safety, and BOOM!!!!! .270 right through the floor into the right front tire. It was so loud that my uncle looked at me strangely and asked, "did one of those guns just go off?!" Never again have I carried a rifle with a round in the chamber, while in/on a vehicle of ANY type!

Last edited by Rifleman1775; 09/05/18 01:31 AM.
Re: Hunter Safety...A cautionary tale: [Re: Reloder28] #7276911 09/05/18 01:33 AM
R
Rifleman1775 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Reloder28
A family member shot himself in the stomach while dragging his 12 gauge across the front seat, muzzle first. Stupid? Yes. That’s a mistake you’d only make once.

It was a 1953 Chevy truck with a seat spring poking thru.

Did he survive? Exact same thing happened to a cousin of mine, years before I was born. My mom told me the story, and the cousin did not survive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide