Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coons #7256158 08/15/18 03:35 AM
S
sunsetroosters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
So I was At the extravaganza this weekend and was talking to a feeder manufacturer. I was Asking him if his free choice feeders were coon proof. He said no and that no feeders are which I disagree But none the less he told me something I have Never heard before. He said don’t you just poison your coons? He told me about some fly bait trick to kill all your coons.

Has anyone here done this or had success poisoning coons in any fashion? If so please list the details or pm me so I can Get rid of the army of 25lb coons that I have Lol.

Thanks

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256162 08/15/18 03:38 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
If you do it I wouldn't tell anyone as I don't think its legal

Personally id put 3 duke dog proof traps at each feeder location. In a 2-3 day time period you could prob catch 10-20 if you really have a problem possibly way more depending on how many feeders you have.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 08/15/18 03:39 AM.
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256164 08/15/18 03:39 AM
S
sunsetroosters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Well maybe that’s why it’s not a more talked about topic on here

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256511 08/15/18 12:40 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256538 08/15/18 12:59 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Its, big time illegal to do and I have not because I enjoy letting my grandsons hunt the coons, but when I was on a different lease about 10 years ago, one to the hunters there did and he said that it killed all the coons coming to his feeder.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256572 08/15/18 01:15 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have never poisoned a coon nor do I plan too (DP traps are plenty effective), but I do know that it is done to coyotes. Does anyone have a link from TPWD (or elsewhere) showing it to be illegal? I cannot find anything.
I did see where a landowner can use any means to eliminate them if pests. But any means is not defined.
I believe using a poison in a manner that it is not made for is an issue. Fly poison on coons would be an issue then.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 08/15/18 02:23 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7256599 08/15/18 01:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
There is not a coon proof feeder and if it is it is deer proof that the deer can eat out of easily. But there is an attachment that claims to keep the coons off your feeder...I would worry about velvet antler damage using till it has been in the field for a while.
I would not use any poison to kill an animal where the dead carcass could be consumed by a non-target species.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7259701 08/17/18 08:36 PM
O
okiehuntr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Golden Malrin does the trick, 3/4 # to 4-6 oz Dr pepper in pie pan 2-3 hrs before dark, they will die with heads in pan or not far from it...usually works till another group finds the corn feeder, then repeat about once a month...works great!!
okiehuntr

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7259972 08/18/18 12:56 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Really bad idea, kills everything that drinks it.
Dogs, cats, birds, deer, livestock etc.

Using a pesticide in an off label application to kill animals is a dangerous & idiotic way to control raccoons.
Dog proof traps baited with corn, marshmallow, peanuts, sardines, cat food work very well.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7260051 08/18/18 02:17 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Putting Varmint Plates on many feeders will eliminate the coons getting corn from the feeder. What is on the ground is a different story.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7261931 08/20/18 08:01 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

Using a pesticide in an off label application to kill animals is a dangerous & idiotic way to control raccoons.
Dog proof traps baited with corn, marshmallow, peanuts, sardines, cat food work very well.

I have a Private Applicators licence. Every time I go for CE the first thing any speaker states is If you use a pesticide outside of what the label says. YOU ARE IN BIG PILE OF STUFF. Many court proven cases where some farmer paid through the nose and any other open area for using pesticides out of label use. DPs are a heck of lot cheaper.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7261972 08/20/18 11:28 AM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
This!!^^^^^

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Coons [Re: Rustler] #7262016 08/20/18 12:28 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Really bad idea, kills everything that drinks it.
Dogs, cats, birds, deer, livestock etc.

Careful with those sardines and tuna.. skunks like that stuff too.. ask me how I know.
sick

Re: Coons [Re: okiehuntr] #7270624 08/29/18 02:16 AM
M
MathMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: okiehuntr
Golden Malrin does the trick, 3/4 # to 4-6 oz Dr pepper in pie pan 2-3 hrs before dark, they will die with heads in pan or not far from it...usually works till another group finds the corn feeder, then repeat about once a month...works great!!
okiehuntr

Supposedly Golden Marlene changed their fly bait and it no longer works. Reviews on it says it kills much less flys now too. They changed their formula a few years ago.

And it is highly illegal to use it in an off product way. If caught it can be pretty bad for you and fellow hunters on the property.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7270652 08/29/18 02:45 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
If you subscribe to abiding by the law, I would just get on TPWD Facebook page and message them on the approved means of eliminating them. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Most that choose illegal means will not be caught. If you are, I hope you have a healthy bank account and are willing to forfeit your hunting privileges for a while.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7270787 08/29/18 11:24 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I got a big coon at one of my gravity feeders, gang he Is big.

I say we have a biggest coon at a deer feeder co test.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7271043 08/29/18 03:50 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I got about a 30 pounder that frequents my back porch at home and he is quick too.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7271138 08/29/18 05:21 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I have a ton of feeders and a ton of coons. The amount of feed they eat is a drop in the bucket to me. I really don't concern myself with them that much. If they want to shimmy up a pole and throw out a few handfuls of corn every night for them and their 6 buddies waiting on the ground, so be it. Just my opinion.

I will say it does make for some funny game camera pictures from time to time.

Last edited by hunting_guy; 08/29/18 05:22 PM.
Re: Coons [Re: hunting_guy] #7271186 08/29/18 06:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: hunting_guy
I have a ton of feeders and a ton of coons. The amount of feed they eat is a drop in the bucket to me. I really don't concern myself with them that much. If they want to shimmy up a pole and throw out a few handfuls of corn every night for them and their 6 buddies waiting on the ground, so be it. Just my opinion.

Someone did some testing back in the early 90's and said that coons can eat their body weight each month in protein. They can and will keep deer off of a feeder if their numbers get high enough. I had a friend who had 4-2000 lb free choice feeders and the deer were only hitting one of them. We put a motion operated video camera on this one feeder back in the late 90's that was feeding the most feed. It ran the 6 hr tape completely full in one night of nothing but coons eating protein from that feeder. The coons emptied that feeder in less than 60 days. 60+ coons later at the one feeder and the deer started showing up in the videos.

Re: Coons [Re: Gringocazador] #7271188 08/29/18 06:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Gringocazador
I got a big coon at one of my gravity feeders, gang he Is big.

I say we have a biggest coon at a deer feeder co test.

Re: Coons [Re: stxranchman] #7271213 08/29/18 06:47 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Someone did some testing back in the early 90's and said that coons can eat their body weight each month in protein. They can and will keep deer off of a feeder if their numbers get high enough. I had a friend who had 4-2000 lb free choice feeders and the deer were only hitting one of them. We put a motion operated video camera on this one feeder back in the late 90's that was feeding the most feed. It ran the 6 hr tape completely full in one night of nothing but coons eating protein from that feeder. The coons emptied that feeder in less than 60 days. 60+ coons later at the one feeder and the deer started showing up in the videos.

I'll agree with that. To this point I haven't seen them push deer off the feeders and haven't seen them have a noticeable impact on my feed bill. I guess about the time I start seeing that, I'll get more serious about it cheers

Re: Coons [Re: hunting_guy] #7271235 08/29/18 07:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I'll agree with that. To this point I haven't seen them push deer off the feeders and haven't seen them have a noticeable impact on my feed bill. I guess about the time I start seeing that, I'll get more serious about it cheers

I have seen it on several occasions over the years since 1989. One ranch in Kendall County when they started bringing the young ones to the protein feeders in June they dumped 600#/feeder on the ground in two nights at 4 feeders. We caught and killed 88 coons in that pasture in the next 28 days. Stopped the problem and increase the deer activity at the feeders. The times it is the worse is when close to a river or running creek. That year in late winter we went on a coon killing/trapping spree on 4600 acres and did a number on them. We found a market for them that paid us $8/coon and all we had to do was freeze a fresh coon whole. Not skinning or gutting, just freeze them. We never let up on them after that year with all the live water on that ranch there was an endless supply of them but we kept them down enough to where they were not a problem ever again. Newer feeders help with coon problems but you get enough of them at one location they will keep deer off feeders.

Re: Coons [Re: stxranchman] #7271589 08/30/18 12:32 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

I have seen it on several occasions over the years since 1989. One ranch in Kendall County when they started bringing the young ones to the protein feeders in June they dumped 600#/feeder on the ground in two nights at 4 feeders. We caught and killed 88 coons in that pasture in the next 28 days. Stopped the problem and increase the deer activity at the feeders. The times it is the worse is when close to a river or running creek. That year in late winter we went on a coon killing/trapping spree on 4600 acres and did a number on them. We found a market for them that paid us $8/coon and all we had to do was freeze a fresh coon whole. Not skinning or gutting, just freeze them. We never let up on them after that year with all the live water on that ranch there was an endless supply of them but we kept them down enough to where they were not a problem ever again. Newer feeders help with coon problems but you get enough of them at one location they will keep deer off feeders.

Damn straight. Seeing pics of coons on your camera is one thing. When you use video mode and watch the deer hesitant to approach the feed due to coons, it left no doubt in my mind. I had one video with a big boar coon charging a doe at a protein feeder. She left the pen and he kept eating. Other videos showed bucks and does keeping their distance when there were several coons stacked up under the feeders. A few weekends of Dukes DP traps baited with mini marshmallows and fruit loops unequivocally turned into fewer coon pics and higher deer activity. Hope to get a few more sets out between now and bow season, with plans to get right back after them when the season is over.

Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7282104 09/10/18 03:10 AM
C
crash700 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I would use Duke Traps, just put a marshmallow inside and check it a couple times a day if possible or at least daily. I don't like the coons but do want to be humane and dispatch them as soon as possible. I have used conibear traps too, but it will also catch opossums, which don't bother me and also anything else that sticks its head in the box (dogs, cats, etc).

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Coons [Re: sunsetroosters] #7282162 09/10/18 10:56 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Coons love marshmallows that is true! But, using them in dog proof traps can be a mess if they get hot or it rains they gum up your trap and make a mess so I prefer cat food inside the trap.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide