Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,600
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: SapperTitan] #7269832 08/28/18 01:17 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I understand all that. But wouldn’t you say you have a better chance at seeing elk and successfully killing one if you put yourself in good spots over and over basically making your own luck. Als not all elk hunting is lie you described I’ve seen many shows where they spot elk from 1000 plus yards and put a move on them and the terrain is very glassable. I’m not trying to group Texas deer hunter with elk huntinga you can’t even group elk in hunting in different states with each other bc everywhere is different. All I’m saying is a hunter who is knowledgeable and does his scouting and planning will have a better chance most the time but like the saying goes sometimes it’s better to be lucky then good.

oh, because you saw it on T.V......

We are talking Colorado mountain country. In Idaho, Montana or new mexico, yes, you can see a lot further in places. Some places you can't.

Scouting and knowledge are fine, but elk are migratory. where they are in September most times they won't be in October/novemeber. A week difference with some weather can either clear out or fill up a area with elk.....and this is with zero hunting pressure. Throw that in the mix its a whole nother ballgame

you scout while you hunt.
sometimes when I’m dove hunting I scout. I’ll see dove fly through a certain spot multiple times and then move over there and shoot more dove. I guess I could be an elk hunter.

This dude just compared moving his chair to the other fence line to finding elk. roflmao roflmao

Texas killing fields is your place. Stay there.

Last edited by ducknbass; 08/28/18 01:18 PM.
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: ducknbass] #7269837 08/28/18 01:19 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I understand all that. But wouldn’t you say you have a better chance at seeing elk and successfully killing one if you put yourself in good spots over and over basically making your own luck. Als not all elk hunting is lie you described I’ve seen many shows where they spot elk from 1000 plus yards and put a move on them and the terrain is very glassable. I’m not trying to group Texas deer hunter with elk huntinga you can’t even group elk in hunting in different states with each other bc everywhere is different. All I’m saying is a hunter who is knowledgeable and does his scouting and planning will have a better chance most the time but like the saying goes sometimes it’s better to be lucky then good.

We are talking Colorado mountain country. In Idaho, Montana or new mexico, yes, you can see a lot further in places. Some places you can't.

Scouting and knowledge are fine, but elk are migratory. where they are in September most times they won't be in October/novemeber. A week difference with some weather can either clear out or fill up a area with elk.....and this is with zero hunting pressure. Throw that in the mix its a whole nother ballgame

sometimes when I’m dove hunting I scout. I’ll see dove fly through a certain spot multiple times and then move over there and shoot more dove. I guess I could be an elk hunter.

This dude just compared moving his chair to the other fence line to finding elk. roflmao roflmao

Texas killing fields is your place. Stay there.
it was sarcasm

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269839 08/28/18 01:21 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269840 08/28/18 01:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Some guys just suck at hunting. They know their limitations and their knowledge of the game they are after is not up there with others. So, they are content with chalking a trip up to a learning experience if they are not successful at killing an animal. They go for the gained experience of having hunted in a style and an area they are not used to hunting. You gain experience from more failures than the success of beginners luck.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: txtrophy85] #7269845 08/28/18 01:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Outfitters have a higher success rate due to thier historical knowledge of the area and animal habitats, hunters that are consistently successful either have the historical knowledge or have the physical ability to eliminate country quickly. Some of that historical knowledge can even come from the lack of physical ability and being at the place that everyone walks buy and pushes the elk to.

Elk have traditional patterns, traditional migration routes, traditional rutting areas.... etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: SapperTitan] #7269853 08/28/18 01:34 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I get a thrill out of killing but if I don’t kill anything I still enjoy my time in the woods. If killing wasn’t a part of it I wouldn’t hunt.

Truth. If you are not trying to kill you are not "hunting".

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269861 08/28/18 01:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would say most of the guys I see up elk hunting are there to just get away. Most don't go out in the mornings (guys in my camp included) and some of them not in the evenings. they go there to hang out, cook outside and drink a lot.

I enjoy being up there and killing an elk wasn't the mark of a enjoyable time spent in the mountains. To be honest, once its down its a PITA to deal with. I don't really have a desire to kill another one from where I sit right now. Years down the road that may change. Bowhunting elk ( or hunting them period during the rut) is a completely different experience than hunting them at other times.

But its cool to go see something new, and just being there is a heck of a lot of fun. I keep hoping that one day Colorado will give me a mule deer tag so I can go and capitalize on all those good mule deer spots I've been looking for elk in.....

Sapper....do yourself a favor and leave ft. hood for a few weeks and go visit a national forest during 2nd week of general rifle season and you will see what i'm talking about.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269868 08/28/18 01:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I'm going to Colorado for the OTC elk hunt. While the ultimate goal is to get an elk, and I will do what I can to make that happen, I guarantee I will also have an appreciation for 1)being in the mountains away from it all, 2)meeting new people and hopefully making new friends, 3)learning many new things, 4)testing myself. If I come home with a pot of tag soup, so be it.

There is value in the effort regardless of the harvest. But you can bet a harvest makes it all the sweeter.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: txtrophy85] #7269872 08/28/18 01:54 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I would say most of the guys I see up elk hunting are there to just get away. Most don't go out in the mornings (guys in my camp included) and some of them not in the evenings. they go there to hang out, cook outside and drink a lot.

I enjoy being up there and killing an elk wasn't the mark of a enjoyable time spent in the mountains. To be honest, once its down its a PITA to deal with. I don't really have a desire to kill another one from where I sit right now. Years down the road that may change. Bowhunting elk ( or hunting them period during the rut) is a completely different experience than hunting them at other times.

But its cool to go see something new, and just being there is a heck of a lot of fun. I keep hoping that one day Colorado will give me a mule deer tag so I can go and capitalize on all those good mule deer spots I've been looking for elk in.....

Sapper....do yourself a favor and leave ft. hood for a few weeks and go visit a national forest during 2nd week of general rifle season and you will see what i'm talking about.

Ft Hood might as well be a national forest lol it open to the public and many of the rules are the same or stricter. We can use feeders but that’s pointless when the acorns drop. You are competing with lots of other people and dealing with deer that are very pressured.

I would love to visit Colorado and some other western states I just don’t have a desire to hunt elk that may change someday who knows. My 6 yr old son really enjoys watching elk hunting on TV so maybe he will be the reason I go at some point.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269885 08/28/18 02:03 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Went and did the OTC elk hunt in Colorado during bow season. It was fun, saw elk, drank a lot, laughed a lot. Would like to go back but it is not easy and the drive sucks.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269886 08/28/18 02:04 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Holy cow! You guys need to hunt Wyoming for elk some time.
You get to hunt archery and rifle on the same tag in most areas . Far fewer folks hunting the NF.
We have great hunting but you have to plan for it, PP and drawing tags.
Takes 2-3 years for a general tags and that hunting isn't bad. Cow/calf tags are additional and cheaper. You could bring home 3 elk if you hit it right.

Interesting thread to say the least from my perspective.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: SapperTitan] #7269889 08/28/18 02:06 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Ft Hood might as well be a national forest lol it open to the public and many of the rules are the same or stricter. We can use feeders but that’s pointless when the acorns drop. You are competing with lots of other people and dealing with deer that are very pressured.

I would love to visit Colorado and some other western states I just don’t have a desire to hunt elk that may change someday who knows. My 6 yr old son really enjoys watching elk hunting on TV so maybe he will be the reason I go at some point.

No elk, mountains or mule deer in ft. hood. also a lack of bears and trout in the streams.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: txtrophy85] #7269900 08/28/18 02:14 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

No elk, mountains or mule deer in ft. hood. also a lack of bears and trout in the streams.
I understand that I was referencing the fact its public and open to just about anyone who wants to hunt it.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: txtrophy85] #7269902 08/28/18 02:15 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H

My place borders Ft. Hood. I've been to CO numerous times, and used to hunt Ft. Hood frequently. There is nothing similar about hunting Hood and hunting CO. Hunting Ft. Hood is MUCH easier, lol. If you think it is, you're watching way too many private land elk shows on TV.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but I've done both and honestly they couldn't be more dissimilar.

Last edited by hunting_guy; 08/28/18 02:16 PM.
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: SapperTitan] #7269905 08/28/18 02:20 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I understand that I was referencing the fact its public and open to just about anyone who wants to hunt it.

that's completely apples to oranges.

I can go to some public ground in Wyoming and kill a antelope in the first 15-20 min....but its public so its tough right.....?

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: hunting_guy] #7269911 08/28/18 02:24 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: hunting_guy

My place borders Ft. Hood. I've been to CO numerous times, and used to hunt Ft. Hood frequently. There is nothing similar about hunting Hood and hunting CO. Hunting Ft. Hood is MUCH easier, lol. If you think it is, you're watching way too many private land elk shows on TV.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but I've done both and honestly they couldn't be more dissimilar.
Im not saying it is. When he said national forrest I thought he meant any national forest like Crockett National Forest I realize now he was specifically referencing Colorado.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269912 08/28/18 02:24 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I enjoy all aspects of being a predator from habitat manipulation to food preparation. I wouldn't enjoy 'hunting' near as much if I just went to a property without learning the terrain and habits of the local animals and shot a 'trophy' standing in front of me. I get more enjoyment out of working the land to produce a better quality hunting oppurtunity.

With that being said I don't care if anyone else gets the same enjoyment out of it that I do or if they just want to go shoot a 'trophy' on a HF without any other knowledge of the land or animals.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269920 08/28/18 02:29 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: passthru
Know some guys going on a hunt. Talking about places and tactics and most of them give an answer similar to "It will just be nice to be up in the mountains camping and enjoying the outdoors. Relaxing and not worrying about work for a few days. I don't really care if I kill anything."
Is it just me or is that just pathetic hog wash? I mean if you just want to enjoy the mountains and the outdoors take the scouts on a hike. Leave your bow or gun at home and just camp.
I go hunting to try to kill something. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy being in the field, all the experience and can come home with an unfilled tag and still have a good trip. But it's not about "just getting out in the woods and camping with my buddies.".

Okay, jump in, kick me or agree with me.

Sorry, but do we need to check in with you to see what we should or should not be satisfied with when we go hunting or tree hugging for that matter? I have made it for this long being satisfied with or disappointed with most things that I do and I think I will keep my expectations to myself if that is fine with you, since it apparently is not.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: txtrophy85] #7269927 08/28/18 02:33 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

that's completely apples to oranges.

I can go to some public ground in Wyoming and kill a antelope in the first 15-20 min....but its public so its tough right.....?

When you said national forrest I thought you meant any national forest like Crockett National Forest I realize now you were specifically referencing Colorado. Also anyone who has ever hunted public land knows its not all created equal. Some people wont settle for just any animal on public land and want to find a true trophy some people kill the first legal animal they encounter. Some private property is prob just as hard or harder to hunt then some public land lol. I have never bought into the whole shoot the first legal animal just because its public and its supposedly harder, I treat all hunting the same. I wait till I see an animal I want to kill. I have passed very nice young deer on public land knowing someone else will prob shoot them and I have killed a young buck on private property. Do what makes YOU happy.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269971 08/28/18 03:15 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have never hugged a tree. I have talked to a few, from time to time. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269972 08/28/18 03:16 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I like to shoot and I like killing stuff. Wouldn’t hunt without that urge to kill. Sure I like eating deer and other wild meat but it’s not “choice” meat to me. I can buy meat in the store a lot cheaper than hunting and to me it tastes better. So the main reason I hunt is to kill. If deer don’t show up I’m hoping a hog or yote will so I can thump something, sometimes anything. No I’m not new to hunting, hunted for over 30yrs and have killed over 100 WT and who knows how many hogs, 2-300 I’d guess. I’ll pass young deer and doe a lot of times waiting for a good buck, but still like the thump of a round smacking meat. Dove hunt to shoot a bunch and to see dove explode, duck hunt to try to knock the lips off mallards....

With all that said if I’m in the field early and watch the sun come up and listen to the woods wake up then killing isn’t a have to for me to have a great time. A kill just makes it that much better.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: passthru] #7269973 08/28/18 03:16 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Wow, there are some sensitive Susie's in this thread. Que the he said, she said....

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: Creekrunner] #7270022 08/28/18 03:59 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I have never hugged a tree. I have talked to a few, from time to time. bolt
I’ve chit against a few

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: stxranchman] #7270025 08/28/18 04:01 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Some guys just suck at hunting. They know their limitations and their knowledge of the game they are after is not up there with others. So, they are content with chalking a trip up to a learning experience if they are not successful at killing an animal. They go for the gained experience of having hunted in a style and an area they are not used to hunting. You gain experience from more failures than the success of beginners luck.

This is me. I have bad luck and suck at hunting amyway. My success rate is around 11%.

Re: Are we hunters or tree huggers? [Re: stxranchman] #7270028 08/28/18 04:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

the best hunters I know just work hard at it. no magic tricks, not secret formula other than field time

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide