Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,708
Posts9,727,982
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend #7267148 08/25/18 04:12 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Quote:
snip
If the deal goes through, members of the public could purchase permits to hike, camp and hunt in the expanded wildlife management area.
“It’s very exciting to make a very significant addition to our largest wildlife management area,” said Ted Hollingsworth, an official in the land conservation program at the parks department. “It’s part of a much, much larger conservation initiative.”

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--...2Ocl6BS9SoEeQN/

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7267157 08/25/18 04:21 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Very cool. I really hope TPWD manages to get the property.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7267192 08/25/18 05:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for posting. 'Hope it works out. I have yet to see Big Bend State Park, but it's on my bucket list. I've been to the Nat'l park a few times. I've applied for Black Gap hunts a couple of times (without success); 'bet they'll add this parcel to the draw system, if the purchase goes through.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7267379 08/25/18 10:17 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Oh yay.Still my beating heart.What is TPWD gonna do,issue 1 antlerless permit for the area and have 10,000 guys apply for it as usual? The way TPWD runs some of it's WMA's is a f'king joke. Black Gap WMA is well over 100,000 acres and they dont allow a single rifle hunter onto the area.Is the deer herd on the area so fragile it cant survive a few deer being taken off the area each year?

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7267385 08/25/18 10:26 PM
B
Bigfoot Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
They allow between 10 to 12 rifle hunters on Black gap for deer every year.

This is an area for big horn sheep too. Hopefully they will allow more of this hunting also.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 08/25/18 10:27 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: Bigfoot] #7267427 08/25/18 11:25 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

Not this year.I checked and didn't see a single permit for rifle hunts.If they acquire the addition acreage it will be way over 100k acres and not a single rifle hunter allowed on the area.Oh they might throw us a bone(thanksTPWD) and allow a few bowhunters onto the area because they know dam well bow hunters don't have any impact on the deer population whatsoever.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7267492 08/26/18 12:36 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: swampthang

Not this year.I checked and didn't see a single permit for rifle hunts.If they acquire the addition acreage it will be way over 100k acres and not a single rifle hunter allowed on the area.Oh they might throw us a bone(thanksTPWD) and allow a few bowhunters onto the area because they know dam well bow hunters don't have any impact on the deer population whatsoever.

You might want to look again. They are drawing 8 rifle tags with more possible standbys.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7267530 08/26/18 01:11 AM
N
NDN98 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

You apparently weren't checking the mule deer hunts, because they have 8 permits available that allows for a mule deer or whitetail.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7267631 08/26/18 02:31 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Okay found it under the mule deer category. Wow,a whole 8 permits this year.And over 2500 applicants.Good luck on those odds. What if they draw 8 permits out of the hopper and there is only 1 name on each permit? Then only 8 guys will hunt the 100k+ plus property. Again,what a joke. If the news about adding more acres to the WMA was posted on a hiking forum it would be great news,for hikers.But this is a HUNTING forum,as in having some place to HUNT. It just seems like the people at TPWD making these decisions just flat out don't want hunters on these areas!
mad But they cave in a little and throw us a bone here and there to keep us quiet.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7268305 08/27/18 12:51 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Okay found it under the mule deer category. Wow,a whole 8 permits this year.And over 2500 applicants.Good luck on those odds. What if they draw 8 permits out of the hopper and there is only 1 name on each permit? Then only 8 guys will hunt the 100k+ plus property. Again,what a joke. If the news about adding more acres to the WMA was posted on a hiking forum it would be great news,for hikers.But this is a HUNTING forum,as in having some place to HUNT. It just seems like the people at TPWD making these decisions just flat out don't want hunters on these areas!
mad But they cave in a little and throw us a bone here and there to keep us quiet.

I had success at draws and a lot of misses. Over all I have had nothing but great experience with the TPWD draw hunts. My son was drawn on a Mule Deer hunt 20 yrs ago at Blackgap. We had a great time even though he did not kill a MD. There are a lot of draws for WT,MD, and many other species. All you have to do is apply. These are very budget friendly hunts that working people can participate in. They continue to grow more opportunities through the years. Good luck if you get drawn for Blackgap because it is rough country, but beautiful.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7268738 08/27/18 03:01 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
TPWD should increase the number of permits available on several of their WMA's by 6 fold,at least. That would give a whole lot more guys the opportunity to hunt that WMA. Would the so-called "quality" of the hunt be hurt? Maybe.Big deal.Is it the end of the world? At least more guys would get to hunt.With the current system a lot of guys will literally grow old and die while waiting to be drawn.Raise the fee to 300.00 if you are drawn. That would prove you are serious about wanting to hunt that WMA.Enforce strict antler restictions,for mulies and whitetails.One deer limit,period.Some WMAs are so over-managed its gotten ridiculous. Each year the number of permits are decreased but the number of applicants goes up.All the while TPWD is rolling in the dough and laughing all the way to the bank.I apologize for the rant but after watching TPWD's shenanigans for the last 42 years I'm fed up with the way they operate.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7268962 08/27/18 06:14 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I think this is great. I hope to visit it sometime in the near future.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7271682 08/30/18 01:36 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I'd much rather TPWD increase the size of Chaparral by 100X than buy some desert land in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7272991 08/31/18 10:52 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I don't get all giddy everytime TPWD makes an announcement they have acquired some new tract of land in south or west Texas because I know chances are I'll never be allowed to set foot on the place,at least not for hunting. It bugs me that we hunters have so little say-so in the way TPWD manages some of its WMA's.Nobody at TPWD is an elected official so its not like we can vote them out if we aren't happy with the way they do things.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: Whiptail] #7273137 08/31/18 01:49 PM
E
Eastwood Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Originally Posted By: Whiptail

I'd much rather TPWD increase the size of Chaparral by 100X than buy some desert land in the middle of nowhere.
Well me too, but 150,000 acres at 5,000 per acre is 750 million dollars. They'd have to charge 5,000 per super combo license to cover that. If it stays in private ownership I know I'll most likely never get to hunt there.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7273276 08/31/18 04:15 PM
T
TaserTot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I don't get all giddy everytime TPWD makes an announcement they have acquired some new tract of land in south or west Texas because I know chances are I'll never be allowed to set foot on the place,at least not for hunting. It bugs me that we hunters have so little say-so in the way TPWD manages some of its WMA's.Nobody at TPWD is an elected official so its not like we can vote them out if we aren't happy with the way they do things.

Totally agree. There needs to be some changes to the way they are doing things. Anyone can look up the TPWD's budget and where they get their money and what they spend it on (supposedly). It will make your blood boil though, just a warning. That is, if you are fed up with lease prices and have ever been to any other states with thousands or millions of acres of public hunting land.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7273772 09/01/18 02:33 AM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I have been fortunate enough to meet many of them and some are considered academic and field experts that are constantly doing surveys to help improve the habitat. I cant even imagine why you would want to stain it with politics.

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7273987 09/01/18 04:28 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

I have been fortunate enough to meet many of them and some are considered academic and field experts that are constantly doing surveys to help improve the habitat. I cant even imagine why you would want to stain it with politics.

up

Re: Texas parks department set to buy rugged tract in the Big Bend [Re: swampthang] #7274062 09/01/18 06:03 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Oh somebody will get to hunt it, just won't be the common man...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide