Print Thread
Current real world Lease cost / Lease value #7264295 08/22/18 04:10 PM
G
GLC Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Rather than to continue to step on someone else's post I thought I would re-post here. A lot of individuals are looking for a lease and a lot of us have a lease at this time. It would probably be helpful and good information for those looking for a lease to have information as to what leases are going for now and what you get for the money. Add anything else that may be helpful to others. (If you want to you can copy and paste questions.)

Area of Texas
Lease acreage
Hunters on lease
Lease cost per spot
Lease cost per acre
Actual dollar lease total
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality
Family or friend friendly
Electric/water available
Annual or Season access
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own
Rifle and Bow?
Camp house provided
Any rules other than State/County game Laws?

Area of Texas Red River County
Lease acreage 147 acres
Hunters on lease 4
Lease cost per spot $1500
Lease cost per acre $40
Actual dollar lease total $6000
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality Bucks 110+ class, plenty does, hogs, varmints, turkeys
Family or friend friendly Yes, shoot off paid hunters state allotment
Electric/water available electric available
Annual or Season access Year round access
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own Hunter provides stands and feeders
Rifle and Bow? Yes
Camp house provided NO, hunter provided travel trailer
Any rules other than State/County game Laws? No

Last edited by GLC; 08/22/18 08:59 PM. Reason: Added County

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264530 08/22/18 07:53 PM
E
ETXFIREMAN 1 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Area of Texas- SanSaba
Lease acreage- 215
Hunters on lease- 4
Lease cost per spot- $1500
Lease cost per acre- $27.90
Actual dollar lease total- $6000
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality- WT, turkey, dove, hogs
Family or friend friendly- yes
Electric/water available- both
Annual or Season access- annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own- bring your own
Rifle and Bow?- both
Camp house provided- yes
Any rules other than State game Laws? Not really

Originally Posted by BMD
No doubt about the AR crap, just damn shame hunters don't have self control and knowledge

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264541 08/22/18 08:12 PM
12thman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
This is good. Helps answer a lot of questions up front and then people can decide for themselves. Good idea.

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264562 08/22/18 08:31 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Area of Texas- Lampasas
Lease acreage- 800+/-
Hunters on lease- 8
Lease cost per spot- $1600
Lease cost per acre- $16
Actual dollar lease total- $12800
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality- WT, turkey, dove, hogs
Electric/water available- both
Rifle and Bow?- both
Camp house provided- yes
Any rules other than State game Laws? County also

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264590 08/22/18 09:15 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Area of Texas- Sabine County
Lease acreage- 3500
Hunters on lease- 35
Lease cost per spot- $900
Lease cost per acre- $3.80
Actual dollar lease total- $13,300
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality- Hogs, heavily poached deer, coyote, bobcat
Electric/water available- no
Rifle and Bow?- both
Camp house provided- no
Any rules other than State game Laws? none

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: JB1316] #7264628 08/22/18 10:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: JB1316
Area of Texas- Sabine County
Lease acreage- 3500
Hunters on lease- 35
Lease cost per spot- $900
Lease cost per acre-$3.80
Actual dollar lease total- $13,300
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality- Hogs, heavily poached deer, coyote, bobcat
Electric/water available- no
Rifle and Bow?- both
Camp house provided- no
Any rules other than State game Laws? none

35 x $900= $31,500 or $9/acre

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264656 08/22/18 10:39 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This should be very helpful for a lot of people. It makes good sense to have a checklist of important information so you more easily can compare apples to apples, or for some just know what questions to ask. There will still be variable and intangibles to consider but its a great foundation.
I would suggest adding one more very important item to the list. The ratio of the number of acres per hunter. Based on the information given it would be easy to do the math but if you want to manage for sustained quality over the long run then its important enough that it should be listed so it just jumps out at you.
Thanks for a real good post GLC.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264665 08/22/18 10:51 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This is missing a lot of information though to compare apples to apples. How long have you been on the lease, how long have others, how long has LO been leasing the property, quality, cover, livestock, neighbors, etc..

Between my lease and 5 others I know guys on near us in Montague/Clay, we pay $8 to $12 an acre. All have guest privileges, wafer, electricity. Not everyone is going to get a buck though. Need larger acreage and high quality browse. Deer density is not high, maybe 1 per 20 or 25 acres in our area. Still see deer every hunt which down the road went many hunts with no deer. That resulted in turn over every year.

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264686 08/22/18 11:16 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Area of Texas Livingston
Lease acreage 700
Hunters on lease 8
Lease cost per spot 700
Lease cost per acre $8
Actual dollar lease total 5600
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality Deer, hogs
Family or friend friendly Yes, hunt on your tags
Electric/water available No
Annual or Season access Annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own Bring and place your own
Rifle and Bow? Yes
Camp house provided No
Any rules other than State/County game Laws? 3 1/2 year old on bucks

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264781 08/23/18 12:43 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
What is posted above covers pretty much everything anyone would ask about a prospective lease for them. What is ultimately boils down to is what is it worth to you to get on a lease and that cost is baked into what you get. Is it worth an extra, oh say $1000 a year more, to have exotics and water and electricity. What is more important to you in a lease- hunting opportunity or trophy opportunity. I think too many people get caught up in #acres/hunter, that somehow 10 hunters on 1000 acres lessen your kill opportunity where five would be better. I say depends on the part of the state we are talking about. I would also ask if there are 10 members on 1000 acres, how many do you think would be there at any one time? How many of ya'll that are on leases have been there when every member of the lease were all there at the same time. I have been running leases for 10 years and currently manage four of them and have never once ever had every member of any of those leases be there at the same time. Even opening weekend, which you would think this would happen never has. I have hunted the hill country and love seeing lots of deer every time I went...many times it would be the same 10 does I see every time. But this would minimize my opportunity to hunt to probably about four times a season. I hunt east Texas, because it is where I live. I may go a whole season and only see one deer (which happened back a few years ago during the drought). But because one lease is only 15 minutes away and one lease is 35 minutes away I hunt every weekend and before the time changes I can hunt every day after work during the week during bow season. Getting into the woods as much as possible, with a chance at a trophy (to me) means more than paying three to four times a year more than I do now with less time in the woods. But that is a choice I make for me...plus it makes my wife happy since I am not gone every weekend.

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7264936 08/23/18 02:42 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
heavily poached deer

You sir are the winner of this thread

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7265071 08/23/18 11:20 AM
F
fishingyankee71 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Agree with Russ 79. I never thought I would pay what I do for a lease, especially not growing up in Texas and not being familiar with deer leases until I retired from the Army and stayed here. However, the place we found a few years ago (right here on THF) has been absolutely perfect for our family. It really is a place we get to go camp, explore a nice piece of property, do some good ol hard country work, fish a little, and happen to also be able to hunt some pretty decent genetics. Others are looking for the hunting part first and hoping to get some of the other stuff.

Area of Texas: UVALDE COUNTY
Lease acreage: 2300
Hunters on lease: 7
Lease cost per spot: $3650
Lease cost per acre: $11
Actual dollar lease total: $25,550
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality: Following county law....1 "trophy" buck (lots of 125 inch and some up to 145), 2 "culls," (lots of spikes and mature enough basket racks), and two does
Family or friend friendly: Yes, kids(high school and younger) and spouses shoot off quota, friends can come along occasionally, but not hunting.
Electric/water available: Electric, water and sewer for campers
Annual or Season access: Annual - owner is okay with once per month work days and shooting hogs/coyotes on those weekends
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own: bring our own
Rifle and Bow?: Both
Camp house provided: Cook shack with stove, sink, fridge, and full size freezer. Electric winches at deer cleaning area.
Any rules other than State/County game Laws?: Landowner just wants us to follow county game laws, but we informally "self-impose" some good management related to age and what constitutes a "cull."

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7265186 08/23/18 01:40 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Area of Texas- Val Verde
Lease acreage- 3700
Hunters on lease- 10
Lease cost per spot- $2000
Lease cost per acre- $5.40
Actual dollar lease total- $20,000
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality- WT, turkey, hogs, Auodad, Axis
Family or friend friendly- Yes
Electric/water available- Both
Annual or Season access- Annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own- Each person has their own equipment and spot to hunt
Rifle and Bow?- Both
Camp house provided- Yes
Any rules other than State game Laws? Respect the land and wildlife per owner request

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7265300 08/23/18 03:30 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Area of Texas Freestone County
Lease acreage ~1000
Hunters on lease 10
Lease cost per spot $1,500
Lease cost per acre $12
Actual dollar lease total $12,000 (only 8 paid hunters, +2 family members)
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality MLD3, Mature Bucks 130-150+ class, culls, does, lots of hogs, varmints
Family or friend friendly Deer no, hogs yes
Electric/water available Electric available (split cost between hunters)
Annual or Season access yes & no (yes to fill feeders, no to hunting outside MLD3 season)
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own Hunter provides stands & feeders (most have 2x locations)
Rifle and Bow? Rifle only
Camp house provided No, hunter provides own trailer/camp in common camp area
Any rules other than State/County game Laws? 5.5+ y/o trophy, 4.5+ y/o cull, MLD tags provided usually 1 Buck, 2 Doe at beginning of season but more available (typically) after 1st of year.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7265313 08/23/18 03:40 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
2nd lease (city girl inherited that I manage)

Area of Texas Crockett County
Lease acreage 560
Hunters on lease 2
Lease cost per spot $0
Lease cost per acre $0
Actual dollar lease total $0 (owner wants one deer (non loin & back strap) into link sausage each year)
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality trophy ~120-140” (but improving), culls (ugly antlers), does, hogs spotted on cam but no live, turkey, exotics in the area but never seen on this ranch
Family or friend friendly yes, sometimes
Electric/water available no/no
Annual or Season access Annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own hunter provides
Rifle and Bow? Rifle
Camp house provided no
Any rules other than State/County game Laws? I strictly manage per biologist recommendation from 6 years ago. Annual counts allow for Culls (available almost each year), 5.5+ y/o trophy (occasionally), does (occasionally), hogs kill on site, do NOT kill varmints (except mountain lion) per owner

Last edited by PMK; 08/23/18 03:42 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7268065 08/26/18 07:10 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Area of Texas - Stephens/Eastland County
Lease acreage - 3100
Hunters on lease - 16
Lease cost per spot - $2000 + electric
Lease cost per acre - $10.32
Actual dollar lease total $32,000
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality Mature bucks 130 - 150" (mostly 8 and 10 points, but there are a 12 points). Deer, Dove, Duck, Quail, Hog, fishing
Family or friend friendly - Yes
Electric/water available - Electric only
Annual or Season access - Annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own - bring your own
Rifle and Bow? Both
Camp house provided - Camp house with kitchen, bathroom and TV - no bunks, gathering place only
Any rules other than State/County game Laws?[color:#009900][/color] No

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Current real world Lease cost / Lease value [Re: GLC] #7268512 08/27/18 11:21 AM
.257 guy Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Area of Texas ...western lampasas county
Lease acreage...2200 acres
Hunters on lease...3
Lease cost per spot...$2,666.66 ($8,000 for lease)
Lease cost per acre just under $5 per acre unless I'm ignorant and doing the math completely wrong
Actual dollar lease total..just under $11,000 including corn, protein, electric
What is available as far as game numbers and game quality....healthy deer herd with 135-140 being top end, hogs, predators. turkey (spring season included), ducks....exotics at an extra charge (axis, blackbuck, addax, red lechwe, mouflon sheep on property)
Family or friend friendly ...yes
Electric/water available...yes
Annual or Season access...annual
Stands/feeders available or bring and place your own...11 all season feeders, 3 bighorn protein feeders, 11 Dillon blinds provided
Rifle and Bow?....yes, both
Camp house provided ....rv hookups
Any rules other than State/County game Laws? TPWD rules with the exception that the final doe (if harvested) must be taken by a youth

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide